MA MA - Molly Bish, 16, Warren, 27 Jun 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember this case once. It happened a long time ago so please forgive me if I do not have all the details correct. I think it took place in the Seattle area. Maybe you have heard of it? I will try to relate the story from what I remember.

It was a case about a stockbroker. He wanted to achieve his dream of being a great stockbroker and making a lot of money. Unfortunately he was not very good at making stock decisions. He lost money and the more he tried, the more money he lost. Eventually the company he worked for fired him.

Still determined to be a great stockbroker he tried to keep making trades with the money he still had. But it got worse. Eventually he was broke, but he never told his family. I cannot remember if he was married or living at home, but he was so embarrassed by the situation that every day he would still dress up in a suit and tie and leave to make it appear he was still going to work. Saddled with debt, broke, and unemployed, he felt he had nothing left. I cannot remember if he was investing other peoples money too, but he was in a bad situation.

So he decided to start robbing banks in order to get money. But he realized that since he was not a criminal he was probably not going to be that good at it. So he did something that I think most regular bank robbers you read about never do. He went to the library and researched and read as many stories as he could about bank robberies.

According to his research he came up with an interesting statistic: 90% of bank robbers get caught because of their vehicle. So this man decided that if he was ever going to be successful at robbing banks he would have to figure out how to do it without using a vehicle. I cannot remember all the little details but I think he took a change of clothes with him whenever he robbed the bank so he could change soon after leaving the bank. His method was to simply pass the bank teller a note requesting money. I think he may have used his finger in his jacket to imply he had a weapon or maybe he did not have to, I cannot remember.

But the best part was the finishing touch that he put on each bank robbery. It is the one thing that I remember to this day. Before each bank robbery, he would go to Starbucks and get a cup of coffee. Then he would walk to the bank, but before he went inside he would leave the cup of coffee sitting somewhere outside the bank. After the robbery he would calmly pick up his cup of coffee and walk down the street, sometimes as the police were passing him responding to the robbery. Who would ever think a person walking down the street with a cup of coffee just got done committing the bank robbery?

Eventually he got caught because he got careless and left his fingerprint on one of the bank teller notes. Since he had a small juvenile record for something he did in high school, police were able to quickly match up the fingerprints and make a traffic stop to arrest him, which is ironic when you think about his research. I never read what happened to this man, except I think he did end up going to prison.

Understanding how people think sometimes is more complex. It is like when people respond, "So you have never taken anything that belongs to you?! We all have." I even got into an argument with family members because I said that police officers have a lot of integrity to do the right thing. My family members said that even police officers have lots of things in their background that includes cheating, lying, etc so stop trying to act like they are perfect. They're not. This is what was told to me. And I already know police officers are regular people too and that they are not perfect.

I am not saying it is ok to rob banks if you do not have money. But sometimes the line between ordinary people and criminals can get rather close sometimes.

It "can" but its always different, how about becoming something else other than a stockbroker?, maybe seek upper management somewhere?

Why to this individual was it imperative to become a successful stockbroker, or bust?

The decision changed to criminal after initial failure ?

No that decision was made years, before, when the mind set developed that "Ill get what I want, one way or another"

The decision to rob banks, is deeper rooted in thinking , most people who fail do one of 2 things, they either change, course or bear down and keep going. Notice none of those included the term "turn to crime"

Someone taking something that doesn't belong to them is much different than embarking on a criminal career as a bank robber, because you failed as a Stockbroker

Yesterday Massachusetts passed the legislation described in this article, that will allow partial familial matching in criminal state databases:

Bish cold case an inspiration for bill to expand DNA use

This law was proposed based on input from the family of Molly Bish and will be used where all other investigative avenues have been exhausted. One would hope this might bring about new leads for both the Bish and Holly Piirainen cases.

"(Legislator Anne) Gobi said she filed the bill based on conversations with a constituent, Heather Bish, whose sister Molly was 16 years old when she disappeared from her lifeguard post in Warren nearly 20 years ago. Molly Bish's body was found in 2003, and her murder remains unsolved.

“The basic thing behind it is kind of going back to the Bish family,” Gobi said in an interview. “They've hit every roadblock possible. They just don't know who the killer was, and there's other cases like that, so this would be an opportunity for police."

I post on other sites, but follow this one occasionally. Just wanted to pop on and say that I am so happy the familial DNA bill has passed, and I pray that Molly’s killer will come out of this and that she and her family get justice!

Article I wrote for a Medium publication. Contains photos of the trail, the lifeguard chair, the cemetery, quotes from witnesses in old news articles and the times it took to get from the beach to the cemetery (88 seconds, in snow boots). Have Police Been Searching for the Wrong Man: Rethinking the Molly Bish Murder | by Lori Lamothe | Chameleon | Feb, 2021 | Medium
I just read your article and I have often thought the same thing. What if it wasn’t the guy in the white car? Would someone who is older and a heavy smoker have the ability to carry her body or even make her walk up to that area where her body was recovered? It looks to me like a hike. I have often thought about how Molly’s mom must have felt, she had dropped Molly off and left, and then within minutes her daughter disappeared. I know her mom was plagued with guilt, and would give anything to find her daughter. So she would definitely remember yesterday that there was a random man outside. Since her mom had walked down to the pond the day before, would the man have thought she always did this? I just really pray that this family will find answers one day soon, I cannot imagine the pain.

I just googled Molly's name to see if there was anything new. Abduction and murder: Will Molly Bish's case remain unsolved? – Film Daily this came up, and what was crazy to me, was when you scroll down, there is a cop fitting the description that Molly's mom gave of the man in the white car! I have no idea who he is, I just thought it was ironic. Hopefully the familial DNA will come back soon! The Massachusetts State Police just solved an almost 50 year old case, so I know they are working to solve these older cases, thanks to DNA!

Recently watched the old UM segment featuring the MB case. Extremely disturbing. The re-enactment when the mother was creeped out by the smoking guy in the white car was especially unsettling.

Just based on the segment, it looks like the area where MB was doing the life-guard work was very isolated; and, the morning she disappeared (and was later killed, due to her body being found several years later) it was probably either deserted or semi-deserted at the time.

I suspect no one was around to see her get abducted, or they would have reported this. I do agree the perp. in this case may have been the smoking guy in the white car, especially given that the white car was seen in that area several time (by numerous people) around the time MB vanished. That being said, it could have been someone else.

It sounds like there are suspects in the case, but there isn't enough evidence to charge anyone.

Hopefully this cold case will get solved sometime in the near future. The family definitely needs closure.

Last edited:
Molly Bish murder case: Francis Sumner Sr. named person of interest by Worcester DA as new evidence emerges

more at link
For more than two decades, the family of Molly Bish has searched for an answer.

Now, just a few weeks before the 21st anniversary of Molly’s disappearance on June 27, 2000, the family has a name and photos of a man authorities are calling a person of interest in the 16-year-old’s killing.

Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr., a Spencer man who died in 2016, was identified on Thursday by Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early as the person of interest in the case.

Molly Bish murder case: Francis Sumner Sr. named person of interest by Worcester DA as new evidence emerges

more at link
For more than two decades, the family of Molly Bish has searched for an answer.

Now, just a few weeks before the 21st anniversary of Molly’s disappearance on June 27, 2000, the family has a name and photos of a man authorities are calling a person of interest in the 16-year-old’s killing.

Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr., a Spencer man who died in 2016, was identified on Thursday by Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early as the person of interest in the case.
I just saw this one a moment ago. Maybe the family finally has some answers.
Person of interest named in 2000 murder of Molly Bish

Pictures of Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr. from the press release:
SUMNER-3.jpg

Sumner-2.jpg

Sumner-1.png

Protester allegedly threatened with murder
He must not have ever worried he would have been caught. I had never heard of him before today, looks like he slid under the radar. When you look at his past and his lengthy record, and yet he is still threatening to kill someone? With an auto repair business, he could have access to many cars, so if the white car theory is true, that would have been so easy for him to get, if it was not his car.

Protester allegedly threatened with murder
He must not have ever worried he would have been caught. I had never heard of him before today, looks like he slid under the radar. When you look at his past and his lengthy record, and yet he is still threatening to kill someone? With an auto repair business, he could have access to many cars, so if the white car theory is true, that would have been so easy for him to get, if it was not his car.
They thought the white car was buried in an abandoned camp ground. I remember when they searched. They said they found evidence, but I never heard what the end results were.

Investigators: ‘Compelling' Information Found in Molly Bish Case

Molly Bish cold case: Person of interest named
UPDATED: June 4, 2021 rbbm.

''Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr., who died in 2016, is being investigated in the 2000 murder of the 16-year-old after investigators recently received new information, Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said.

“We got information from a tip, and the more we investigated the tip, it corroborated the information we had,” Early said Thursday.

Sumner, 71, was active in the Central Massachusetts area from 1960 through 2016. He was known to operate auto repair shops in the Spencer, Leicester and Worcester areas and lived in Spencer prior to his death, the DA said.

Sumner had a more than 20-page criminal record, including an early-1980s kidnapping and aggravated rape, for which he was sentenced to 15 to 18 years, said Lindsay Corcoran, a spokeswoman for Early''

''Investigators are seeking more tips from the public, specifically information relative to Sumner’s employment practices or personnel, his associates, vehicles, travel and any known habits.''
''State Police detectives assigned to the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office urge anyone with information about Sumner or the Molly Bish case to call the anonymous tip line at 508-453-7575.

“If anyone has any information .. .even if it doesn’t seem important,” Heather Bish told the Herald in 2017, “if they could please let the State Police know so we can connect the dots.”

Molly Bish murder suspect’s family demands Worcester DA provide proof — or stop accusing him of horrific crime - The Boston Globe
DZOPFF4LENOJFTAW2V3EZEYOJI.jpg

This photo released by the Office of Worcester County District Attorney shows Francis "Frank" P. Sumner Sr., of Spencer, Mass., who died in 2016.

''The family of Francis P. Sumner Sr. demanded Friday that Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early 2d immediately detail evidence linking him to the murder of Molly Bish — or stop mentioning his name and end the emotional harm felt by surviving relatives.

Sumner’s half-sister, who asked to be identified only as Jackie, said in a telephone interview that she and the extended Sumner family provided DNA samples to Early’s office 2 1/2 years ago. Sumner, who died in 2016, provided a sample about four years after Bish, 16, was kidnapped and murdered in Warren in 2000.''

Molly Bish murder case: Seeing photo of man named person of interest in death is ‘jarring,’ sister says

Much more at link
When Massachusetts State Police detectives knocked on Heather Bish’s door on Wednesday, they were there to give back dozens of items held in evidence related to the abduction and killing of her 16-year-old sister, Molly Bish.

The detectives handed over Molly’s pocketbook, old cassette tapes and Bath and Body Works products. But they also wanted to show Heather something else: a picture.

It was an image of Francis “Frank” P. Sumner Sr., a Spencer man who died in 2016 and has been newly named as a person of interest in Molly’s disappearance and death.

“It’s been a whirlwind few days for sure,” Heather told MassLive in a phone interview Friday morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES
Back