MA MA - Phillip Markoff, Craigslist Killer

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't understand why he was so careless. Did he want to get caught? or did he think he was so smart he would never get caught. For someone so "bright" didn't he realize using a computer would lead right back to him. Was he escalating out of control that he wasn't thinking properly about covering his tracts? Did he have a deep gambling and *advertiser censored* addiction that took over his life and he threw all caution to the wind? What has me deeply troubled is his behavior after he murdered someone...a few days later went gambling and robbed someone else. I just don't get it.

Ya know, I like tho believe I am a very open minded person. Apparently, not concerning this "stuff". My personal opinion is that any person who searches for such humiliation, to dominate, or be submissive in such an extreme way has some serious issues. I mean, deeply emotional issues. The kind only a professional could help them address.

A large percentage of men seeking domination/humiliation are men in high powered positions. They like the idea of losing control to another and to lose control sexually makes them truly vulnerable... in those cases, being dominated gives them a bit of a "high".
The rest of the group are moderately successful men who feel inferior deep down and love having an attractive person call them on it. If someone they were not attracted to sought to humiliate them, they wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.
It's pretty rare to find someone with deep seated emotional issues who wants to be dominated. They usually like being Tops (certainly not all Tops but a small percentage). If it's consensual, safe and enjoyable for both parties, I don't see the need for medical intervention...

Thanks, EmMomma. I thought so.
There's some reason she has a deep down distrust of LE. I wonder if it will prevent her from really listening to and absorbing what they have to say.
This may be a stretch, but maybe her dislike of LE made her more susceptible to a slimeball like PM.

I actually thought about this last night, and I'm posting now. Here's what I think: I think she was so utterly shocked by the whole situation, that the first defense that she could think of was to blame the cops(we all know there ARE crooked cops, it's a blow below the belt, though, IMO).

By all accounts, she seems to be a middle class gal who WAS on the up and up until she met this psycho. If she had any sort of past run ins with the cops to make her distrust them, I bet we would have heard about it by now...

I don't understand why he was so careless. Did he want to get caught? or did he think he was so smart he would never get caught. For someone so "bright" didn't he realize using a computer would lead right back to him. Was he escalating out of control that he wasn't thinking properly about covering his tracts? Did he have a deep gambling and *advertiser censored* addiction that took over his life and he threw all caution to the wind? What has me deeply troubled is his behavior after he murdered someone...a few days later went gambling and robbed someone else. I just don't get it.

Bold is mine, and this is what I think.
It fits in with the "holier than thou" attitude he obviously has.
I'm almost sure his line of thinking was somewhere along..."who's gonna care about a dead hooker?"
He CERTAINLY was as careless as they come.
Sick, he is. Sick, sick, sick.

Honestly, I think he chose his victims because he figured LE would not bother to actively hunt down a hooker killer. Add to that he is a clean cut looking, yet very arrogant med student and you get a kind of a "whose word would you take... the hooker or the future doctor?" kind of thing. He thinks certain people are beneath him... sex workers are in that category. He underestimated LE and figured this would just be another unsolved prostitute killing...

A large percentage of men seeking domination/humiliation are men in high powered positions. They like the idea of losing control to another and to lose control sexually makes them truly vulnerable... in those cases, being dominated gives them a bit of a "high".
The rest of the group are moderately successful men who feel inferior deep down and love having an attractive person call them on it. If someone they were not attracted to sought to humiliate them, they wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.
It's pretty rare to find someone with deep seated emotional issues who wants to be dominated. They usually like being Tops (certainly not all Tops but a small percentage). If it's consensual, safe and enjoyable for both parties, I don't see the need for medical intervention...

I agree, but I didn't take the time to go further into my thoughts about this. I should have, but I went "basic" regarding my previous post. I would like to put out there that I do not judge "normal" practices of sex that is different than what I would prefer. The hunting for such on forums is just that for me (what I have read, though not just at the site linked.), hunting. There are personalities that do want to dominate so they still feel in charge, in control. However, I do not doubt that they will revert, their choice, to being submissive. This is an area that I believe is not one size fits all depending on the individual. Particularly, this guy. He did what worked for him at those times. It could have also been simple manipulation of a situation, which again, came down to him still having control. Regardless if he was dominate or submissive. He still controlled and what he chose.

He worked it for a long time, imho. There is definitely a life history with this guy and it is part of the reason he is who he is now.

imho :)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7445988&page=1

According to today's ABC news, it looks like GF is still sticking by her man. It makes you wonder if her parents cancelled the wedding plans for her. Her latest statement is not as strong as her previous one.

Snipped from your article...

But one thing they have not been able to find, they said, is Markoff's laptop.

Eh?! How have they not found the laptop? :waitasec: He hid it, I'm almost certain of it. I think he knew they were catching up with him, maybe not in enough time to do anything else, but I bet he ditched that thing like a hot potato. Makes you wonder what sorts of other evidence there is on it. :eek:

Ya know, I like tho believe I am a very open minded person. Apparently, not concerning this "stuff". My personal opinion is that any person who searches for such humiliation, to dominate, or be submissive in such an extreme way has some serious issues. I mean, deeply emotional issues. The kind only a professional could help them address.

I think he used the hidden part of his life to take advantage of others. He rarely would have been submissive unless he thought he deserved "punishment".

I wouldn't doubt that LE has is computer and has done forensics on it. Perhaps that will help them find potential victims of this deviant. Unless there are others willing to come out, it could be hard given what they advertise to play/do on that website. I have no doubt, that for many, it may be a hidden life they keep from their families.

Honestly, I need to take a very long, Dove induced thick lather, shower. ~shudder~

Agree, and LOL about the shower. Laughing because I know what you mean.

According to today's ABC news, it looks like GF is still sticking by her man. It makes you wonder if her parents cancelled the wedding plans for her. Her latest statement is not as strong as her previous one.

I wonder about the fiancee's judgment anyhow, if she thinks he is "a beautiful person, inside and out". He looks(and seems) like a smug, obnoxious creep to me--and I believe he would not impress me, even if he weren't standing in court with shackles and handcuffs on. If I even spent five or ten minutes talking to him, I am sure I would be out the door. Just my opinion.

...And his mouth looks like Scott Peterson's ! ugh.

Call me cynical, but I can't help but wonder if through all this madness she's thinking...."there's a situation here, and if I play it right, I could come out a winner."...Oprah, Dr. Phil, book, etc. :rolleyes:

I have to hope that she's in denial and can come out of it. I do wonder how much she knows and wonder if she knows where the laptop is? I find her curious. JMO.

I actually thought about this last night, and I'm posting now. Here's what I think: I think she was so utterly shocked by the whole situation, that the first defense that she could think of was to blame the cops(we all know there ARE crooked cops, it's a blow below the belt, though, IMO).

By all accounts, she seems to be a middle class gal who WAS on the up and up until she met this psycho. If she had any sort of past run ins with the cops to make her distrust them, I bet we would have heard about it by now...

What I meant by her dislike of LE: some people have a suspicion of or dislike of LE--they just don't like cops. She might never have had a run-in with them, but possibly she just doesn't like cops, has been influenced by too many movies about police corruption etc.* I could definitely be wrong.

I just don't want to see this girl be stupid about this obvious criminal and have her life ruined! So I'm thinking of every angle.

*Of course, police corruption DOES exist, we all know that, but why would LE frame a person who is going to be a doctor, someone who will serve humanity?

I have to hope that she's in denial and can come out of it. I do wonder how much she knows and wonder if she knows where the laptop is? I find her curious. JMO.

I wonder where the laptop is? He must have had a secret hiding place for it all along, because he certainly didn't see this arrest coming....or did he? You don't suppose Megan got rid of it for him? They do have a hard drive from some computer of his. Thankfully.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517898,00.html

Craig's List founder, Craig Newman, WON'T close erotic section. I really hope someone goes after him. IMO what he's advertising is prostitution.

Just my opinion and probably won't be a popular one....

It is not Craigslists' fault that someone used their ads to find their victims.

While we all know prostitution is illegal, the people that post for those types of services are very aware of the words to use to not get their post deleted for selling illegal "goods."

Part of their posting rules state "Do not advertise illegal activities or services. Selling of alcohol to a minor, prostitution or drug-related ads can all be subject to deletion." I am sure Craigslist cannot read every single ad to determine if it is for Prostitution of not.

Don't blame Craigslist for this act. Blame the Muderer. If the girls and or guys couldn't post on Craigslist they would find somewhere else to do it.

Those that have followed these types of cases have seen many murders where an ad was placed for Nanny services, used baby clothes, selling cars, etc. Should we now say Craigslist shouldn't allow those types of ads either?

JMO

Our local paper (owned by Hearst) printed a blistering editorial on Craigslist, with quotes from local law enforcement. The gist of it was Craigslist is scary & dangerous, so you better stay away from the whole site. I have used craigslist for years, and did not even know the erotic section existed until the media brought it up. All I can say about that section is - gross. I won't be clicking on that section again.

The local paper has been hurt by Craigslist free want adds, they will of course take this story & make it out that everyone on there is engaged in crimimal activities. You have to use some sense whenever you are buying, selling, or recycling anything, regardless of the source. Meet in a public area. If you can't meet in a public place, don't meet any buyer/seller alone. Talk to the people you are trading with before you meet them & get a feel for who you are dealing with. Never enter someone elses home alone. If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.

My thoughts on the fiance are that she is NOT really in denial, nor is she really standing by him- I do NOT believe she thinks he is innocent until proven guilty, I think she KNOWS he is guilty- but what is she supposed to do? She has to tread carefully here...this has ruined her life.

It is probably hard to turn all your feelings for someone off just like that, if she truly never saw any signs of this side of him. If Casey Anthony admitted to killing Caylee and said she just didn't want her anymore- I don't think the Anthonys would support her at all but I think if they had any love for her in the past it would be hard for them to just forget about her and not love her anymore.

I think that's what going on here. The fiance has been through a major shock and trauma- she was a bride planning her wedding in just a couple months- suddenly ALL of that life is gone. She has to not only cope with this but to get past it and start all over. I am sure it has not hit this girl yet--she has not processed this- her fiance KILLED someone. Someone just like herself, a young woman with hopes and dreams and a family, who was trying to make her way through life. (The fiance needs to consider this- no matter what the victim was doing and no matter their background they ARE similar, neither one of them deserved to be victimized by this man).

I am sure the fiance realizes PM has done some unforgivable things. Who knows, she might still be in shock or she might be angry, but maybe she just wants for justice to be carried out. And maybe she is just trying to act like she is supportive of him so he won't try to kill himself, although I am not sure at this point that he cares what SHE thinks of him!

I just don't buy that the fiance is really supporting him. I just think it was a statement made to get the press off of her, it was a very lukewarm statement. She wants to grieve privately, doesn't want tv shows chasing her for interviews either way.

Our local paper (owned by Hearst) printed a blistering editorial on Craigslist, with quotes from local law enforcement. The gist of it was Craigslist is scary & dangerous, so you better stay away from the whole site. I have used craigslist for years, and did not even know the erotic section existed until the media brought it up. All I can say about that section is - gross. I won't be clicking on that section again.

The local paper has been hurt by Craigslist free want adds, they will of course take this story & make it out that everyone on there is engaged in crimimal activities. You have to use some sense whenever you are buying, selling, or recycling anything, regardless of the source. Meet in a public area. If you can't meet in a public place, don't meet any buyer/seller alone. Talk to the people you are trading with before you meet them & get a feel for who you are dealing with. Never enter someone elses home alone. If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.

You all may be aware of this case, but someone advertised on Craigslist to sell a car stereo, if I remember correctly, and met the interested parties in a Target parking lot--how much more public could that be? I can't remember exactly what happened--I think the seller got murdered but I am not sure. It did end in violence. It can be a scary world out there. And yes, trust your instincts.

My thoughts on the fiance are that she is NOT really in denial, nor is she really standing by him- I do NOT believe she thinks he is innocent until proven guilty, I think she KNOWS he is guilty- but what is she supposed to do? She has to tread carefully here...this has ruined her life.

It is probably hard to turn all your feelings for someone off just like that, if she truly never saw any signs of this side of him. If Casey Anthony admitted to killing Caylee and said she just didn't want her anymore- I don't think the Anthonys would support her at all but I think if they had any love for her in the past it would be hard for them to just forget about her and not love her anymore.

I think that's what going on here. The fiance has been through a major shock and trauma- she was a bride planning her wedding in just a couple months- suddenly ALL of that life is gone. She has to not only cope with this but to get past it and start all over. I am sure it has not hit this girl yet--she has not processed this- her fiance KILLED someone. Someone just like herself, a young woman with hopes and dreams and a family, who was trying to make her way through life. (The fiance needs to consider this- no matter what the victim was doing and no matter their background they ARE similar, neither one of them deserved to be victimized by this man).

I am sure the fiance realizes PM has done some unforgivable things. Who knows, she might still be in shock or she might be angry, but maybe she just wants for justice to be carried out. And maybe she is just trying to act like she is supportive of him so he won't try to kill himself, although I am not sure at this point that he cares what SHE thinks of him!

I just don't buy that the fiance is really supporting him. I just think it was a statement made to get the press off of her, it was a very lukewarm statement. She wants to grieve privately, doesn't want tv shows chasing her for interviews either way.

I hope you are right and I think you may be. The fact that she apparently hasn't visited him in jail speaks volumes.
If she knows deep down that he did this, she may be afraid of him, afraid to speak against him, too.

The band that had planned to play at the August wedding of the medical student accused of killing a masseuse he met on Craigslist is now looking for a new gig.

The Bstreetband, a Bruce Springsteen tribute band, had been scheduled to play at the New Jersey oceanside wedding of suspect Philip Markoff and his fiancee, Megan McAllister, on Aug 14.It was unclear whether cancellation of the band means the wedding is delayed or permanently off. More at link. http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_12244562

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back