MA MA - Phillip Markoff, Craigslist Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Philip Markoff’s apparent suicide yesterday in a Boston jail comes at a time of increasing scrutiny on suicides in the state’s prisons and occurred just weeks after the federal immigration agency faulted Suffolk County jail officials on their failure to properly care for an immigrant detainee who died.

The death of an inmate who had been placed on suicide watch last year because of a previous attempt to kill himself is also expected to raise questions about precautions taken by Suffolk County jail officials. They refused yesterday to release details of Markoff’s death or to say how frequently they were monitoring him, but they did say he was not on suicide watch at the time of his death.
more here: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/08/16/markoff_suicide_raises_questions_about_mass_inmate_safety/

I does sound like could have been watch PM closer than they were given his history. I hope that his family has the decency to not sue the prison for negligence.

It is very sad that the victim's mother feels cheated out of a trial. My prayers go out to her. I hope that someday she will be able to find some peace.

PM, on the other hand, deserves no peace and while it is a shame that he will not have to suffer a life behind bars he is better off dead IMO.

I'm actually pretty surprised he killed himself..was his trial coming up or something? Why did he do it now, as opposed to awhile ago when he first was placed in jail?

Kaylynn, I read somewhere that he had been under suicide watch when he was first jailed. I think I read that here. It does seem like odd timing, but I guess he realized the evidence was stacked against him. I also wonder if he left any notes - not only to his family, but the victim's family?

Before death, alleged Craigslist killer Markoff wrote ex-fiancee's name in blood

Boston.com

"Philip Markoff, the accused "Craigslist killer," scrawled his ex-fiancee's name in blood on the wall of his cell before killing himself, according to several law enforcement officials with knowledge of the case. "

Sheesh!! I bet that was real comforting for his ex-fiancee - NOT! What a sick-o.

Before death, alleged Craigslist killer Markoff wrote ex-fiancee's name in blood

Boston.com

"Philip Markoff, the accused "Craigslist killer," scrawled his ex-fiancee's name in blood on the wall of his cell before killing himself, according to several law enforcement officials with knowledge of the case. "

Gross! Like she hasn't been through enough!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/cra...llowed-toilet-paper-revived/story?id=11413302

He used a jail-issued pen shaved into a surgically sharp razor to sever his femoral artery and slash his ankles, and stuffed toilet paper down his throat so jail authorities could not resuscitate him, sources told ABC News today.

The elaborate strategies used by Markoff -- also including using a bag to catch his blood and then tying a bag over his head -- prompted Boston city officials to order an investigation into the suicide at the Nashua Street Jail.

I'm actually pretty surprised he killed himself..was his trial coming up or something? Why did he do it now, as opposed to awhile ago when he first was placed in jail?
I think this is at least the 3rd time he has tried to kill himself. I recall using leather shoelaces one time. Another time he tried to cut his wrists.

April 2009: – Ever since he apparently tried to hang himself last week with his shoelaces, accused Craigslist killer Philip Markoff has been strapped into a padded restraint suit in jail designed to stop further attempts,

IN the other attempt I think he used a sharpened spoon.

It kind of makes me wonder why he wasn't on special watch knowing the significance of the day.​

Ugh...Writing the ex-fiancee's name in blood. Ever since I read that I can't get it out of my mind. That poor girl. I can't imagine being in her position, but to top it all off - when he goes out - he writes her name in blood before he slashes his arteries, shoves a paper towel roll down his throat, and puts a plastic bag over his head. She has to live on knowing that the man she was once madly in love and going to be her husband - was probably a cold blooded killer, and that she herself was the last person he thought of before going out! UGH!

I think this is at least the 3rd time he has tried to kill himself. I recall using leather shoelaces one time. Another time he tried to cut his wrists.

It was at least the third. Here's a quote from Indianagirl's ABC link above:

"Markoff reportedly had attempted to kill himself two prior times at the facility after his arrest in April 2009.

On April 21, 2009, as Markoff was transported from Boston police headquarters to the Nashua Street Jail, he stuffed wads of toilet paper down his pants telling detectives, "I might need this later," ABC News reported. Hours later, Markoff made his first suicide attempt. He pulled leather strips out of his boat shoes, tied them together, and tried to hang himself from the bars on his cell. He was transferred to a secure medical unit and put under 24-hour suicide watch.

On April 30, 2009, a day after his fiancee, Megan McAllister, broke up with him in jail, he attempted to rake a serrated spoon over his wrist.

Both of those apparent suicide attempts failed."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/08/before_death_ma.html?p1=News_links

Philip Markoff, the accused "Craigslist killer," scrawled his ex-fiancee's name in blood on the wall of his cell before killing himself, according to several law enforcement officials with knowledge of the case. Near the word "Megan" he also wrote the word "pocket," which had no immediate significance to investigators

I wonder if he put something of significance in his pocket--like a suicide note-- and wanted to draw attention to it?

I wonder if he put something of significance in his pocket--like a suicide note-- and wanted to draw attention to it?

But I am sure his body and contents of his pockets would be searched regardless.
So if he put a note in his pocket it would have been discovered whether he wrote the word pocket or not.

I admit I haven't read all of this thread, but I just wanted to say, I actually read that this was his 2nd attempt at suicide.

JMHO
fran

PS......I just want to say,.............and please don't take this in defense of this criminal,...................but we quite often say 'suicide is a coward's act.'....being close to someone who attempted suicide, (not because of anything remotely connected to something of this magnitude).....'suicide,' IMHO is NOT a cowardly act,.....sincerely, IF you'd ever been close to someone who'd attempted this, you would change your opinion.....oh, IMHO...fran (it's a horrible situation to deal with)...my condolence to his family.............they've been through a lot, NOT by their doing. sincerely, fran :rose:

.....'suicide,' IMHO is NOT a cowardly act,.....sincerely, IF you'd ever been close to someone who'd attempted this, you would change your opinion.....oh, IMHO...fran (it's a horrible situation to deal with)...my condolence to his family.............they've been through a lot, NOT by their doing. sincerely, fran :rose:

Very good point.

We forget sometimes,

Its hard to die,

I'm actually not surprised to hear that he killed himself.

He went from having a great life to being a murderer.

Does anyone have any insight as to how he could have tied his hands?
I have read a few articles that stated his hands were bound in front of him.
That sounds a little weird.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back