MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the members of the grand jury regret their decision, or feel they weren't given the facts they needed?

Since I'm not an American, or a lawyer etc etc I don't exactly know what a grand jury is, but I'm really struggling to see how they authorised this indictment.
I'm sure they are sick. Right, not given the facts in truth.

Also, at link. Here are the positions she holds currently:
  • Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine and Clinical
  • Assistant Professor of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine and LAC+USC Medical Center
  • Director, Center for Life Support Training and Research
  • Director, Clinical Forensic Medicine Program
BBM
What an interesting lady. I will never forgive Judge Bev if she deprives us of the opportunity to hear her speak about this case.

So the goal of the Commonwealth in this case was:
- to convict Karen Read of 2nd Degree Murder
What they've actually achieved was:
- Federal investigation into Norfolk County DA's office and MSP corruption
- Multiple eyewitnesses being made to perjure or otherwise incriminate themselves on the stand
- Troopers having to either read out their apalling text messages, be nicknamed after lewd s*x acts or have their lack of knowledge exposed in a humiliating spectacle
- Karen Read becoming an anti-corruption icon
- a small-time blogger named "Turtle Boy" rising to fame

When do they stop digging deeper?

sorry for quoting myself, and all still moo, but let me add this is compounded with ageism. Judge automatically sees her as old and feeble and therefore mentally insufficient. older women are often tossed aside in our society. does Judge not remember she had to tell Trooper Paul he could not read his report and he literally had no clue what to say after that?! also, was the Judge implying the FBI and DOJ may have cherry-picked evidence to send to that expert?
Judge Bev is 63 herself.

I wonder if the members of the grand jury regret their decision, or feel they weren't given the facts they needed?

Since I'm not an American, or a lawyer etc etc I don't exactly know what a grand jury is, but I'm really struggling to see how they authorised this indictment.

How much "defense" evidence is presented to a grand jury? Any? I don't know anything about it.

Literally why was this ever a murder case. The prosecution's own witnesses have the defendant being hysterical and distraught after the body was discovered. The way her reaction is described sounds so intense and authentic that it couldn't possibly be her faking a reaction. She loved this guy; finding him dead shocked her entire system.

It is so clear that if Karen did harm John, the harm wasn't done intentionally or knowingly.

She does not see herself as old and feeble which that age is def not but she had no ‘class’ at that testimony to use Trooper P’s term , at all. The witness has it all a million times over her .
What does "Trooper P's term" mean?

My understanding is that a grand jury is usually just the prosecution and the defense has zero involvement. A grand jury also doesn't need a unanimous vote for an indictment, just a majority.

That is what I thought, but wasn't sure. So, I am not surprised a GJ indicted her and I would hope they don't feel guilty now that they have been exposed as lying liars who lie.

How much "defense" evidence is presented to a grand jury? Any? I don't know anything about it.
Depends on the trial, where it's happening, and the prosecutors' feelings towards it. The mil version of a grand jury is a mini hearing in front of a single investigating officer (IO) (who until recently was a 'randomly' picked non lawyer) with defense present and able to call witnesses and present evidence but the decisions made to charge or not by the IO aren't binding and can be overruled, almost always by someone who barely skims the highlights and follows the JAGs advice. Most Fed GJ are secret and locked down until/unless someone is charged. The majority of state GJ fall somewhere in the middle. Some prosecutors, especially with cases that they don't really want to try, either weak or politicized (like a seemingly weak self-defense shooting claim in a conservative area) will have full defense participation so they can blame the GJ for not indicting.

TL/DR: A grand jury is almost always a formality so the state can say that one person didn't make a decision to charge someone.

Depends on the trial, where it's happening, and the prosecutors' feelings towards it. The mil version of a grand jury is a mini hearing in front of a single investigating officer (IO) (who until recently was a 'randomly' picked non lawyer) with defense present and able to call witnesses and present evidence but the decisions made to charge or not by the IO aren't binding and can be overruled, almost always by someone who barely skims the highlights and follows the JAGs advice. Most Fed GJ are secret and locked down until/unless someone is charged. The majority of state GJ fall somewhere in the middle. Some prosecutors, especially with cases that they don't really want to try, either weak or politicized (like a seemingly weak self-defense shooting claim in a conservative area) will have full defense participation so they can blame the GJ for not indicting.

TL/DR: A grand jury is almost always a formality so the state can say that one person didn't make a decision to charge someone.

Interesting! It does seem like a formality to me (in my very limited knowledge on the topic). Thank you for chiming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l