VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@SueNBCBoston

As Jackson is talking about what he says are the inconsistencies of the number of plastic in the evidence bag, one juror who has been easy to laugh and chat during breaks has a very serious look on his face which I haven’t seen before.

All jurors are looking at Jackson now.

When Jackson said that the Commonwealth could have called the two accident reconstruction experts, but didn’t, one juror pursed her lips and shook her head.

@JHall7news

Jackson: what evidence do they have that Karen read’s vehicle hit John O'keefe - the answer is none! He accuses the Comonwealth of resorting to character assasination because they have no evidence.

AJ: runs down testimony and evidence that established reasonable doubt. His expert retired ME witness from Cal Dr Sheridan told you john’s injuries are inconsistent with being hit by a car, but consistent with a physical altercation.

AJ: the science proves john was beaten - that’s reasonable doubt.

Jackson attacks the MSP accident reconstruction done by Trooper Joe Paul. He says the defense expert witnesses, who are independent and were not hired by the FBI, are much better and concluded O'Keefe was not hit by a car,

Jackson says there is noting to suggest O'Keefe was hit by a 7000+ car going in reverse 24mph. "John got into an altercation, he was punched - he put his hands up, his hands got bruised, he falls back and hits his head."

the time limit is making me anxious. Judge is too controlling. ring the bell with five mins to go as if this is high scholl debating. there should be at least 10 mins leeway.
I'm siding with the judge on this. 1 hour is plenty, and both sides have had plenty of time to plan for their speech to fit within the limit.

@KristinaRex

Here: a thread for closing arguments in the #KarenReadTrial. I need to focus on paying attention as much as posting here, so I'll post notable quotes or summaries in the moment and bring you full reports after they end.

Again, four witnesses in the case are sitting with the O'Keefe family today: Kerry Roberts, Brian Albert, Jen McCabe, and Colin Albert.

View attachment 513047

View attachment 513048

Judge Cannone is currently meeting with a juror at sidebar. It's a middle aged woman who has been expressive over the course of trial, moreso than other jurors. A reminder that the judge picks the foreperson -- unclear if that's what's happening here. I'll update.
The judge picks the foreperson??? WTH???

Jackson says the medical examiner could not determine the manner of death.

Jackson is nearly an hour into his closing argument. Most jurors have not taken their eyes off of him.

Jackson says Trooper Paul's explanation for how O'Keefe was injured "borders on the laughable."

The judge tells Jackson he has five more minutes.

Jackson is asking the jury not just to find Read not guilty but to put a stop to what he describes as a culture of corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member