VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should give credit to Judge Bev for leaving a heated interaction (where she was clearly annoyed that AJ a pushy attorney was telling her what to do), then she left but continued to reflect on the question (and probably the interaction) further, and in essence coming back to say "I was wrong" and to correct her response. She did the right thing. That's normal and reasonable behavior. Good for her!

Agreed! She probably just checked further and realised it might be deficient.

ADMIN NOTE:

It is clear in Websleuths TOS that name variations are not allowed.

Whether you like her or not, it is disrespectful to the court to refer to the judge as "Auntie Bev" or "Bev".

She is Judge Beverly Cannone (or Judge Cannone, or simply the Judge).

NAME CALLING and DEROGATORY NAME VARIATIONS

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people who are the focus of our discussion here, it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness, name calling, name changes/variations, and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

Initials may be used, and are encouraged.

I've never served on a jury (sadly), but am I way off in thinking maybe having a bailiff as a buffer kinda takes away that power differential feeling for them?

I've served on a jury (was an alternate) but we had MULTIPLE court staff looking after us, we even had a person whose job it was to basically babysit us, all questions went right through them. They were VERY VERY accommodating and treated us with so much respect constantly saying how important we were and whatever we needed to ask.

@BienickWCVB

The jury returns. She tells them they already have all the available evidence. Then she begins reading her amended instructions about how to consider the vehicular manslaughter/OUI charge.

The jury was not present for the earlier debate about the language of the manslaughter verdict. Some of them seemed puzzled. They may be wondering what the change is and why.
I think it is very poor form to be making changes in a verdict form at this point and of course they are now wondering what is going on. This should have all been done in advance and I blame the judge. She never got back to AJ and why all did not agree in advance I don't know.

I think it is very poor form to be making changes in a verdict form at this point and of course they are now wondering what is going on. This should have all been done in advance and I blame the judge. She never got back to AJ and why all did not agree in advance I don't know.

Yeah like how hard is it to simply paste a few words into a form and print twelve copies.

I've never served on a jury (sadly), but am I way off in thinking maybe having a bailiff as a buffer kinda takes away that power differential feeling for them?
Good point. I think you're right. Not as big an issue in that regard as I imagined.

I might expect the verdict today, but the day is halfway done so I’m not sure. I know yesterday they said something about 1-2 being lunch, so no verdict then, obviously. They’ve planned to leave at 4 today which indicates they aren’t rushing, at least.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas about what the request for the SERT report might mean?
Yeah it was the Special Emergency Response Team report. Her reply was that they could request it but they couldn't get it.

Edit - apparently they can't get it because it mysteriously disappeared. Just add it to the ever growing list of things that the CW conveniently misplaced.

Last edited:
We should give credit to Judge Bev for leaving a heated interaction (where she was clearly annoyed that AJ a pushy attorney was telling her what to do), then she left but continued to reflect on the question (and probably the interaction) further, and in essence coming back to say "I was wrong" and to correct her response. She did the right thing. That's normal and reasonable behavior. Good for her!

I'm glad she reversed herself and changed it. But she was so snarky and disrespectful to the defense when they raised a legitimate issue I don't know how much credit I want to give her.

I also wonder what would have happened if this trial wasn't high-profile and televised across the country. How much do you think the social media backlash influenced the judge's change of heart?

@BienickWCVB

I've added and highlighted in yellow the change the judge has agreed to on the verdict slip for vehicular manslaughter/OUI.

1719419921901.png

The court clerk tells me that the evidence given to the jury does NOT include a SERT report. This was the MSP team that searched the scene after dark on Jan 29 and found the first pieces of taillight.

12:22 PM · Jun 26, 2024

If it a standard verdict form in Massachusetts then it wont go far on an appeal. JMO.
But it's actually NOT.

Judge Cannone is right in that the standard MA verdict form does not include seperate boxes for not guilty for each lesser included offenses.

BUT, according to that same form, the language for the not guilty box should be: "not guilty of the offense charged or any lesser included offense". Not just "not guilty".

That standard language was NOT present on the form but the Judge has wisely now agreed to add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member