VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@KristinaRex

The jury has a question in the #KarenReadTrial. Heading back into the courtroom now and will update here.

"Can we request the SERT report detailing the search?" is the question.

SERT = Special Emergency Response Team

Regarding the jury verdict slip issue from earlier, Judge Cannone tells attorneys she will give the jury an extra instruction right now to clarify how the charges/slip work. Aka: if jury does NOT find Read guilty of OUI manslaughter, they can consider lesser charges.

@TedDanielnews

Coming back for a jury question

Some of the heat when Alan Jackson protested one of the verdict slips in the Karen Read murder trial b/c of lack “not guilty” on 2 lesser charges. Judge says the form is standard in MA and she’s not changing it.

He’s just asking that the form says not guilty of ___ and any lesser included charges. Instead of simply Not Guilty.

Just like the form we saw from a Twitter post upthread.

Seems like she is agreeing to do that.

eta a word

Last edited:
I'm sure there's at least one juror that can explain the verdict form to those who can't figure it out. JMO.
That is not the juror's responsibility, that is the judge's responsibility. I wouldn't want a random juror explaining something that vital if I were on trial for murder - or any other charge, for that matter.
IMO

@BienickWCVB

Alan Jackson listens to the judge's proposal, confers with the other defense attorneys. Wants the vehicular manslaughter slip to be amended to say "Not Guilty" of manslaughter and lesser charges.

The judge agrees to the change: "Not guilty of the offense charged or any lesser offense."

The judge will says they will prepare a new verdict slip and send it to the jury.

There is not a "guilty" and "not guilty" place for each individual charge.

There is a guilty and a not guilty for ONE of the charges.
If the lead charge has a guilty and not guilt box to check but the lesser charges only have a guilty block, it implies that there's no option to say not guilty.

And, assuming there's a hung jury on a lesser charge, say they all vote not guilty on 4 lesser charges and hang on the 5th, there would be no record and confusion over which lesser charge the jury hung on, which means they could recharge offenses that jury unanimously voted not guilty on. Which violates double jeopardy.

Someone must have made a call to the Judge that the optics were horrible because she sure seemed to change her tone now! I think the way everything was worded was confusing as hell and a simple " Not Guilty " added is appropriate! Great lawyering AGAIN by the defense although I would have thought they would have caught that before allowing the sheets to go to the jury but they got it done so good on them!

As to the jury's question, sounds to me they are questioning the evidence gathered at the crime scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachelle(Ru-shell)