VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please re-read the previous threads where this was extensively discussed. In order for her to be guilty of the charge, she only needs to have taken reckless action that reasonably would have been expected to cause him harm. If she sped backwards and he jumped out of the way, hitting his head, and never hit him at all she would still be guilty.

Maybe this is true in some hypothetical sense. But I don't see how with the set of facts we have in front of us the jury could ever get there beyond a reasonable doubt without any kind of eyewitness or video evidence. If there was no actual hit by a vehicle, John could have just as easily tripped and fell on his own after Karen drove off.

It's a bit like saying that a jury could believe someone was stabbed with a knife and convict them of assault with a deadly weapon even though the surgeon testified that they dug a couple of bullets out of the victim's abdomen. Theoretically possible, but it's never going to happen in the real world.

Last edited:
Please re-read the previous threads where this was extensively discussed. In order for her to be guilty of the charge, she only needs to have taken reckless action that reasonably would have been expected to cause him harm. If she sped backwards and he jumped out of the way, hitting his head, and never hit him at all she would still be guilty.
This really seems like moving the goal posts. For weeks I've heard about how she hit him with a car, now that the FBI scientists put the kabosh on that, is the CW changing their theory AGAIN?? JMO

Actually I think in this case it's Curiousobserver moving the goal posts. Lally is still going for Murder in the second degree (or anything that'll stick of the lessor charges).

Needs to pay legal fees. Lost both jobs. Frankly i can’t blame her.
Well, I guess since her relationship with John O'Keefe was far from ideal at the time of his murder, she probably does not have those warm, fuzzy feelings about him anymore and doesn't care what it may look like. I understand bills need to be paid. If she is found innocent, I do see her suing people and going on the interview/talk circuit (which I rather disagree she should do.) Other than the future civil lawsuit cases, I think she should just fade away from public view, quietly. That would be the best for her. Also was she fired from those jobs, or did she just quit? If she was fired, she should sue them too. She is innocent until proven guilty.

Medical experts testified he would’ve been immediately incapacitated from his head injuries. So unless we believe he jumped 30 feet out of the way, I don’t see how this theory works at all.

I also tried to make sense of the evidence by thinking perhaps he stumbled around and eventually collapsed where he was found. Then that theory was discarded once I heard the medical expert testimony. Do you believe the medical expert was wrong?

Actually I think in this case it's Curiousobserver moving the goal posts. Lally is still going for Murder in the second degree (or anything that'll stick of the lessor charges).

Right. And if we're going to seriously consider she did not hit him with her vehicle, but is somehow still responsible for his death, we have to believe that:

1. He jumped out of the way of her rapid, reverse (? We still doing with that?) acceleration, and somehow managed to bang up both the back and front of his head/face so badly, and his badly scratched up arm (did he hit a tree branch or something?), that he was unable to move and get himself some help, and hid himself in the process of dying.

Or

2. He didn't jump out of the way, and his injuries were a result of her beating him up. Her, the 90 pound wisp of a woman....not the drunk trained fighters inside the home he was found dead in front of.

IMO MOO

Well, I guess since her relationship with John O'Keefe was far from ideal at the time of his murder, she probably does not have those warm, fuzzy feelings about him anymore and doesn't care what it may look like. I understand bills need to be paid. If she is found innocent, I do see her suing people and going on the interview/talk circuit (which I rather disagree she should do.) Other than the future civil lawsuit cases, I think she should just fade away from public view, quietly. That would be the best for her. Also was she fired from those jobs, or did she just quit? If she was fired, she should sue them too. She is innocent until proven guilty.

It's my hope that whatever it takes(books, docudramas, mini series, interviews,any media coverage) leads to putting a stop to the blatant cw corruption that has been exposed during this trial. JMOO

Why did Karen Read lose her jobs? Was she fired?

Even if she wasn't, it'd be nigh impossible to hold down two jobs when she's in court all day

"...the 44-year-old was an adjunct professor at Bentley College, teaching finance, but was fired from her job after she was arrested."

I personally hope she never shuts up and becomes an advocate for exposing police corruption.

If this is allowed to continue, none of us are safe.

IMO MOO

I think she is very biased in favor of CW but most of her behavior shows a distain for AJ basically I think because he is a big name from LAX...seems like some in this area of MA don't like "outsiders" ie AJ and KR.
Very astute observation. I lived there for 4 years (2 in Boston area, 2 in Western Mass). People would NOT let me in, it was awful and lonely. I moved to Western MA thinking they would be more open. Nope. Ironically enough, I was often accused of being a "spy" or cop because I was friendly and asked questions to get to know people. It was excruciating, and really put a strain (understatement) on my mental health. I ended up blindly moving to the Midwest specifically for their reputation of kindness. It worked. I can 100% understand the apparent disdain for KR, regardless of personality or whatever, simply from being from another town*. Its pathetic.

*Doesn't apply exclusively to out-of-staters.
IMO

Even if she wasn't, it'd be nigh impossible to hold down two jobs when she's in court all day

"...the 44-year-old was an adjunct professor at Bentley College, teaching finance, but was fired from her job after she was arrested."

There's one lawsuit. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member