VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at the text messages from earlier in the day where there was conflict. Karen also said she was going to have a drink in the afternoon. She winds up getting together with John, has a lot to drink. Higgins is at the bar and that may have added fuel to a bigger fire that was brewing. There is no evidence of anything going on that night about her and Higgins but I wasn't there and I don't know if there was any knowing looks. All I know is that Karen drank a lot in a short period of time. I don't know if Karen ate anything that evening.
In the short drive to BA's house an argument erupts. Anger + alcohol is never a good combination. John gets out. Karen hits him incapacitating him. She knows she hits him. Her car would have been yelling at her with the back up camera. She gets home and notices the damage. Where is the camera footage of her coming home? She starts making calls. John. Her parents. She messages John about his kids and that she is leaving. No response. She tried to jerk his chain and he didn't bite at her bait. Something's wrong. Oh poop. Better make more calls. Panic is setting in more. Sets out in her car to find John. Why would she need to 'find' him when she knew she dropped him off at the house? Finds John,makes incriminating statements, then goes into self preservation mode. Goes to the hospital but leaves, goes back to John's house to get her stuff. Why? Why go and gather her belongings including her car? I am sure most of us have been in a situation where somebody has died and you come together and support each other. Why the rush to get out of there? Acts like she knows she will never see the kids again and takes off to her parents.
Karen had her blood drawn at the hospital. Did she know her BAC that morning after the results came back?
I believe the cell phone and car evidence that was presented. I would be the guilty vote and if it resulted in a hung jury I would still stick to my decision.
You and me, right there together... I'm still hung up on whether she unintentionally hit him or purposefully hit him. So my ONLY reasonable doubt would lie in the 2nd degree murder charge. But hit him, no doubt in my mind.

Last edited:
You and me, right there together... I'm still hung up on whether she intentionally hit him or purposefully hit him. So my ONLY reasonable doubt would lie in the 2nd degree murder charge. But hit him, no doubt in my mind.
Originally I thought she was impaired and didn't realize she hit him. Then came the car data and the testimony about the argument, the ramped up calls and Karen's actions afterwards. It was the car data testimony that was a 'holy poop' moment. I would have to read the charging documents but I would probably fit in the guilty of second degree murder category.

There may have been a snow emergency parking ban. Often when heavy snowfall is predicted, vehicles in heavily populated areas are supposed to be parked on one side of the street to allow room for plows.
As a matter of fact, didn’t Lucky, the snowplow driver, testify that he was supposed to report vehicles who were in violation so that they could be towed? Also, didn’t he testify that he did not report a vehicle that was parked in front of the Albert house as a favor because he knew the family?
Yes, no parking on the streets like those after midnight. Just Albert people down by the flagpole at about three in the morn thought it was a great idea to do so till they were done. If only it was a plower that was not Lucky, the little things that make a difference.

I don't believe any of these devices are all that accurate. Funny thing though, four of my friends and I were on a long pier and we had all talked about how many steps we had already registered that day when we had all been together and the numbers were so varying that we said okay, we're going to all walk in step with each other from the end of this pier to the other end, everybody recorded what their step count on their device was (one used their phone, two fitbits, one galaxy watch, and the 5th person actually counted out loud the steps we took) and at the other end we recorded what our device said - guess what? None of them matched. 5 different steps even though we all walked in unison. We looked stupid BTW, but it did prove the point that none of them come up the same. I always got my 10,000 steps in when we rode the motorcycle because it registered steps while riding. And I can't tell you how many times at work when I would get stressed and worked up and my watch would record a work out complete with stairs!! My friend would be hundreds of steps from her 10,000 a day goal and sit on her couch waving her arm while watching TV to get to 10,000 - um, why? If you weren't going to actually do the exercise of walking, why did it matter what your goal was? Nope, don't believe them at all. And to make a long post even longer, I have a program on my phone that makes my phone look like I'm walking when I'm not so that I get candies on Pokemon.
Great real life example of the inaccuracies of it all, and as a person exercising it does matter I guess, if you are truly after counts for health, at least accurate to a degree, but in a court of law it’s maddening that the numbers can be used pro or con and they just are not accurate. Ugh.

You and me, right there together... I'm still hung up on whether she unintentionally hit him or purposefully hit him. So my ONLY reasonable doubt would lie in the 2nd degree murder charge. But hit him, no doubt in my mind.
I just want to know; if she’s back at his house at 12:36 and we have loads of other vehicles at the same time she is purportedly at 34, where’s the eye witnesses? They are there and most saw one occupant in the Lexus?

Originally I thought she was impaired and didn't realize she hit him. Then came the car data and the testimony about the argument, the ramped up calls and Karen's actions afterwards. It was the car data testimony that was a 'holy poop' moment. I would have to read the charging documents but I would probably fit in the guilty of second degree murder category.
Personally I would do the lesser charges. Only because I couldn’t know for sure what was going through her brain at the time, she seems to have a quick temper tho.

I just want to know; if she’s back at his house at 12:36 and we have loads of other vehicles at the same time she is purportedly at 34, where’s the eye witnesses? They are there and most saw one occupant in the Lexus?
Listen to Lally and closing arguments I think he wrapped it up perfectly.

Her phone connected to the wifi at his address at that time. Obv she was not at FV as JMcCabe testified under oath, saying she saw her in front of the house at that time of 12:45, adamant. So, found to be falsehood on her part, proved. Not sure if perjury charges will be followed up on that, could be more. One person testified he saw her in her suv alone, when she moved further down past the house then left. No John around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member