VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post in thread 'MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14'
VERDICT WATCH - MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

I'm saying it's odd, and stands out from the other step lengths for JO, and is an altogether different pace for a short burst over 80' than what was noted three minutes earlier over 170'. And that it's a sub 10 minute mile pace for a 6'2" male, and around a 9 minute pace for a 5'6" woman. So it's pretty quick for the average middle aged person. Someone, whoever had the phone, was at least jogging if not sprinting over that distance. For perspective: on a treadmill, setting it at 6.1 mph is a sub 10 minute mile pace and 6.6 is about a 9 minute mile pace. It's not walking that's for sure. I suspect he had the phone at that time, and was running for a short distance but why and from who/what is the question. IMO
good point. glad it was not brought up in trial...

If the hung jury stands, this would be re-tried in front of a new Jury. I can't really say how that would turn out now that the zingers are all known to the prosecution and defense.
Not to mention I can't imagine finding another jury who hasn't heard all of the information that's been kept from this jury

Wonder if they’ll come back at 3:30 with another note that they still can’t agree.

I do believe they have tried their best before resorting to writing that note. But I do agree they’ve had a short time for 74 witnesses and 600+ (?) exhibits..

@BienickWCVB

Sounds as if the prosecution and defense disagree about whether they should continue deliberations.

The a/c is making it difficult to hear everything that's being said.

Jurors enter, all looking down.

"We all know how hard you've been working," the judge tells the jury. But she send them back to continue deliberations.

12:16 PM · Jun 28, 2024

Wow judge is going to make them go back in and keep deliberating
This is reasonable and expected IMO. They’ve only deliberated two full days and two very short days thus far. And their full days are on the shorter side. The trial was extremely long with many witnesses. Less than 3 full days of deliberations isn’t reasonable to just say, well, we’re done here I guess.

@KristinaRex

Judge Cannone says "This note arrived within less than three hours of deliberations today." The length of the trial, 74 witnesses, 657 exhibits...I'm not prepared to end deliberations. Judge is bringing jury back in now.

Judge tells jury: "We all know how hard you've been working...lunch coming soon..." tells jurors to continue their deliberations. She will not call for a mistrial right now.

Because most polls are running at about 85-15% NG. Here I'd say it's about 90-10% NG.
Yeah, it's overwhelmingly in that range. I'd say one, maybe two holdouts. I don't think going back is going to change anything, but it has happened before. I'm sure Turtleboy will get the scoop as to what happened during deliberations, once this is all over.

i think this will be over at about 3pm today with another note hung. that note did not leave much more to think any will compromise.
At that point, the judge has the option (that I think she’ll absolutely choose) to give more explicit instructions (can’t remember what it’s called exactly, there’s a name for it). Basically telling them if there’s a hold out, consider changing your mind sort of thing.

Absolutely zero chance they’ll ultimately find her guilty.

The question would be will the CW be foolish enough to retry her? I cannot imagine them doing so.
I think after talking to the jurors and finding out the split they'd decide whether or not to retry.

At times like this in other cases I've followed, I've seen the judge ask the foreperson if they were able to decide on any of the charges (say they acquitted on the top charge but were stuck on a lesser included) for the judge to render not guilty on that charge and send them back to keep working on the lessers. I guess that doesn't happen in Mass. Or at least with this judge, not sure if it's a state thing or just a decision by individual judges.

If the hung jury stands, this would be re-tried in front of a new Jury. I can't really say how that would turn out now that the zingers are all known to the prosecution and defense.

If a retrial is suggested, they ought to turn it over to the websleuths jury. We've already seen the entire trial and we can be ready for deliberations immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980