VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the jury does not reach a verdict today, will they deliberate on Saturday?
I highly doubt it.

I wonder if any of the jurors have vacation plans next week.

I feel bad for these jurors. Such a long trial. I'm sure they're all very tired and frustrated. With that said, I wish there had not been so many short days, including now!

IMO

Not surprising there is a holdout - and not surprising the Judge sends them back to deliberate. If they can break the holdout or holdouts I believe we will get a Not Guilty verdict for the same reason eveyone else has posted - seems the outside world is at least 80% NG.
I don't believe they will retry her
JMO

Yeah, it's overwhelmingly in that range. I'd say one, maybe two holdouts. I don't think going back is going to change anything, but it has happened before. I'm sure Turtleboy will get the scoop as to what happened during deliberations, once this is all over.
Yes. I think the majority is NG. I also think the G jurors are dug in and indicating that nothing is going to change their minds.

i agree with judge. don't understand defense. bet they just want out now before the lunch.
I do not at all believe the defense is willing to settle for a hung jury just bc they want to be done by lunch time. I do think they realize it’s EXTREMELY unlikely any future jury would ever actually convict her with the publicity this trial has gotten, and that’s assuming the CW is foolish enough to try her a second time. That FBI report will be out eventually….

Judge Cannone presided over another case with a hung jury recently:

Statistically, Coyne said the chances of a hung jury are relatively low. But Judge Beverly Cannone — the judge presiding over the Read trial — did recently declare one in another recent case.

"But, in fact, if you remember, the last big murder case before Judge Cannone was the one from the Weymouth police officer, and initially that was a hung jury on the murder charge, and they came back and retried him and he was found guilty."

Coyne was referencing the murder trial of Emanuel Lopes, who was charged in the killings of Weymouth Police Sgt. Michael Chesna and 77-year-old Vera Adams in 2018.

Could we see a hung jury in the Karen Read trial? It happened last year with the same judge

that they would not want to try for a NG..guess they figure the G will not change. Clearly I don't think they are 10-2 guilty but who knows.
I feel that the defense (doesn't want to take any chances when their client's life is on the line and would rather take the mistrial and see what the split is. If it is just 1 or 2 hold outs saying guilty, then I highly doubt the CW will retry. But if it is 1-2 holdouts are the not guilties, I would imagine they would like to regroup and take another whack at it and they've saved their client from a guilty verdict with nowhere else to go other than appeals. JMO

that they would not want to try for a NG..guess they figure the G will not change. Clearly I don't think they are 10-2 guilty but who knows.
Well looking at the broad view of all the surrounding scenarios, I suppose it's not unlikely that several are not as objective as they should be.. this is a disaster..
I feel so sorry for KR, how many blows is she supposed to take while still standing..

But would the defense want to stick with the hung jury if they thought they only needed to convince 1 or 2 hold outs. I suppose they get paid again...

JMO, but I think the defense would just want to leave it as hung now because they don’t think the CW would re try this case.

So does that mean they can’t agree on all of the counts or could it be that only one or two of the charges they don’t agree on?
Or do we just not know?
We don't know. She never asked.

I highly doubt it.

I wonder if any of the jurors have vacation plans next week.

I feel bad for these jurors. Such a long trial. I'm sure they're all very tired and frustrated. With that said, I wish there had not been so many short days, including now!

IMO
I would be surprised if most jurors didn’t have holiday plans. The cape, Maine, New Hampshire.. 4th of July is a pretty big holiday, for summer activities and all that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980