VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do NOT understand this. They couldn’t prove that JOK was hit by a vehicle, PERIOD. It seems that peoples opinions on policing, authority, and potential corruption overrode hard facts. I wonder if the defense pushing the police corruption theory ‘caused’ this, as people tend to not want to think that those policing our communities could be corrupt and/or acting in their own interests.
Similarly, I wonder if a mistrial would have occurred had JOK been a civilian rather than LE.
JMO IMO

Mama O'Keefe crying brought me to tears. I feel so bad. Because it is very likely there will be no justice for their loved one. I feel like John as the victim was lost in all of this. The party carnival atmosphere near the court everyday probably doesn't help. It is all just so sad.

She can't. Once a mistrial is declared the jury is free from any restrictions. They can talk to anyone they want.
No. Judges almost always tell them that they can speak if they want but that they don't have to speak. That is standard -- a routine instruction in many cases.

@BienickWCVB

The jury has sent another note.

We are now back in the courtroom. Both teams of lawyers are here. Read family is here. The O'Keefe family is coming up the courthouse steps.

We don't yet know what the note says. This is the first time we've been back in the courthouse since the judge gave the Tuey-Rodriguez instructions. Any further deadlock will lead to dismissal.

"Line 'em up," the court officers says of the jurors. The judge enters the courtroom.

"All right, the jury is at an impasse," the judge says.

The jurors enter. Some have stern looks on their faces. All look tired.

The judge declares a mistrial.

Some members of the O'Keefe family are crying and hugging. His mother Peg is wiping her nose. His brother Paul is hanging his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1