MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The murder charge is punishable by life in prison with the possibility of parole. The manslaughter charge carries a penalty ranging from five years to 20 years imprisonment, and a possible license revocation. The sentence for leaving the scene is punishable by six months to two years behind bars.

How much jail time could Karen Read face? Here are the ...The Boston Globehttps://www.bostonglobe.com › 2024/06/26 › metro

That’s what makes the case difficult. Blizzard, people drinking inside, no witnesses, no cameras.

I have another question. Trooper Proctor was a detective in that case. Does it make sense for the detectives to switch on cameras during investigations? I think it does. 1) it would have protected him if he was asked not to enter BA’s house; 2) it would have protected BA if not entering the house was Proctor’s own idea; 3) it would have protected Proctor from the accusations of planting evidence.

In all cases of potential battle between PD and lawyers, I think, camera on is a good idea.

Some interesting info in Yannetti's affidavit, which was linked upthread:

In summary:
  • No one believed Karen was guilty of Murder 2. The deadlock was on Manslaughter at 4-8.
  • The jury was "intimidated by Higgins [sic] at the end". I assume the intermediary was mistaken and the intimidator was Brian Albert or one of the others who were there for closing statements. Later in the exchange the juror says it was "amazing" there were allowed to be there.
  • The jurors are in communication via group text.
  • The instruction paper was confusing to the jury.
  • The jury got along and the discussions were never heated.

1720459834607.png
1720459863009.png

Last edited:
Some interesting info in Yannetti's affidavit, which was linked upthread:

View attachment 516369
View attachment 516370

In summary:
  • No one believed Karen was guilty of Murder 2. The deadlock was on Manslaughter at 4-8.
  • The jury was "intimidated by Higgins [sic] at the end". I assume the intermediary was mistaken and the intimidator was Brian Albert or one of the others who were there for closing statements. Later in the exchange the juror says it was "amazing" there were allowed to be there.
  • The jurors are in communication via group text.
  • The instruction paper was confusing to the jury.
  • The jury got along and the discussions were never heated.

So after originally 6/6 on manslaughter, 2 of those 6 moved over to the "guilty of manslaughter" side? Even though there's no proof he was hit by a car? Or that KR somehow got him otherwise immobilized in the snow so that he died of hypothermia? I'm really confused about their reasoning, although I'm casing no shade on this jury. Just really confused.

Dismiss all charges. With prejudice.

JMO IMO

So after originally 6/6 on manslaughter, 2 of those 6 moved over to the "guilty of manslaughter" side? Even though there's no proof he was hit by a car? Or that KR somehow got him otherwise immobilized in the snow so that he died of hypothermia? I'm really confused about their reasoning, although I'm casing no shade on this jury. Just really confused.

Dismiss all charges. With prejudice.

JMO IMO

I think it was that the DUI charges were tied in with the manslaughter charge.

Chris Albert did 6 months in prison for leaving the scene of an at fault accident resulting in injury and death almost 30 years ago, but I think the guidelines are higher now.
Paul O’Keefe was found NG of OUI from accident where significant injury occurred but was found guilty of negligent operation and received 1 year probation. That was in 2020.

I wonder if the whole "changing the form" thing (which some jurors reportedly looked perplexed about when she told them about it) made some of them switch over to "guilty" instead of "not guilty" for manslaughter...like they thought "we must be missing something since they changed the form....better vote guilty...."

JMO

Court TV pundit Wendy Murphy's son Grant Smith Ellis, who was covering the trial as a journalist in the courtroom until he had an altercation with another journalist, tweeted a few days ago that all charges were 10-2 Guilty.

This was just something he made up and others started spreading around. This apparently upset some jurors who went to the defense to set the story straight. So I guess maybe Karen owes Grant a gift when this is all over?

I must admit I have NOT followed this case in depth. What are your opinions did Karen Read murder her boyfriend John O' Keefe?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbqchickenrobot
Back