MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So only OJO's right eye was swollen upon "discovery" of his body.
The hospital photos show both eyes equally swollen.
Interesting.
Only the right eye looked like a golf ball according to KerR.
Perhaps both eyes were swollen, though the right eye stood out to her more than the left eye. My opinion, not KerR's quote/stmt. moo

“He had blood coming out of his nose and his mouth, and his right eye — it looked like a golf ball,” Roberts said, adding that O’Keefe was also bleeding from a cut on the back of his head.

Well idk, could be great for defense if juror saw no damage which is what I would expect moo given the cw case isn't that KR ran him over IIUC but rather that she reversed into him at 24 mph. jmo

eta and to be clear I don't believe juror would have seen damage because I don't believe lexus either hit or ran over JO. moo

It could have got a bit of damage in Canton!

"There was absolutely no canine DNA,” Teri Kun, forensic scientist UC Davis Veterinary Lab said.

The forensic scientist said testing did uncover pig DNA. The prosecution said the samples were taken from John O'Keefe's shirt by the state police lab.

"It could be from food," Kun said.

Karen Read's defense arguing degraded or contaminated samples could have led to the results.

"I don't know anything about how they took those swabs," Kun said.

I remember that testimony.
I wish we had proof of integrity regarding how the samples were collected, stored or if chain of custody was retained.
We don't know if the whole shirt was given for testing or cuttings. We don't know where the cutting/swabbings came from on the garment.
And we know the defense repeatedly asked for the clothing so they could do independent tests, I still can't find proof it was ever given to them at all*** We don't know if all the lab samples were consumed during the first round of "testing" or if they were "lost" afterwards.
It concerns me.

*** If anyone can find those documents confirming the clothing was handed over to the defense I would appreciate it!!

I remember that testimony.
I wish we had proof of integrity regarding how the samples were collected, stored or if chain of custody was retained.
We don't know if the whole shirt was given for testing or cuttings. We don't know where the cutting/swabbings came from on the garment.
And we know the defense repeatedly asked for the clothing so they could do independent tests, I still can't find proof it was ever given to them at all*** We don't know if all the lab samples were consumed during the first round of "testing" or if they were "lost" afterwards.
It concerns me.

*** If anyone can find those documents confirming the clothing was handed over to the defense I would appreciate it!!

And didn't Proctor have the shirt for a while before they ever turned it in or did any testing?

Why would you only send a square of the sweatshirt?
Chain of custody on evidence is probably what they'd say. They only send enough to a lab for what the lab needs. Keeps possession of the shirt, which is sperate evidence from any forensic testing done on the shirt, with the cops, not the lab. And ensures that the evidence is secure for any follow-on testing, such as an independent lab as part of an appeal or to challenge the evidence.
All of which only works as intended if all parties involved are honest. Not saying the ones here aren't but there are a crapload of cases where labs faked or screwed up tests or police destroyed evidence later required for an appeal. And who's to say there isn't DNA from an unknown 3rd party somewhere else on the shirt?

Exactly.
The whole garment should be submitted for testing, circles around the suspicious areas are drawn, and then portions are cut from the circled areas to test.

Only sending precut portions to test is suspicious.

Kind of like printing out one text conversation thread in the interest of transparency instead of turning your phone over for extraction. MOO

Only the right eye looked like a golf ball according to KerR.
Perhaps both eyes were swollen, though the right eye stood out to her more than the left eye. My opinion, not KerR's quote/stmt. moo

“He had blood coming out of his nose and his mouth, and his right eye — it looked like a golf ball,” Roberts said, adding that O’Keefe was also bleeding from a cut on the back of his head.
He also had a cut over that right eye.

Why would you only send a square of the sweatshirt?
SWABS

Forensic Scientist: No Canine DNA on John O'Keefe's Shirt​

Teri Kun said swabs taken from John O'Keefe's shirt that came into her lab did not contain canine DNA. Kun also explained the process by which the evidence arrived at her lab sealed and documented with photos and notes.

Chain of custody on evidence is probably what they'd say. They only send enough to a lab for what the lab needs. Keeps possession of the shirt, which is sperate evidence from any forensic testing done on the shirt, with the cops, not the lab. And ensures that the evidence is secure for any follow-on testing, such as an independent lab as part of an appeal or to challenge the evidence.
All of which only works as intended if all parties involved are honest. Not saying the ones here aren't but there are a crapload of cases where labs faked or screwed up tests or police destroyed evidence later required for an appeal. And who's to say there isn't DNA from an unknown 3rd party somewhere else on the shirt?
It was swabs from the shirt, not a piece of shirt

Not sure how they could've lost their jobs when there was no proof of their BAC at time of their driving. I think the testimony was very clear on the variations across persons in terms of the rate of metabolizing alcohol. They are backed by a union. Actual proof would have been required.
Because they were doing something illegal and irresponsible. I've seen stuff like this happen where something went south at a cop party and everyone all of a sudden is tying their shoelace and saw nothing.

It was swabs from the shirt, not a piece of shirt
Do we know which part of his shirt? Was is it a part of his shirt which coincided with the marks on his right arm? In the link you provided, an item number was given, but didn't specify where on the shirt the sample was taken.

Last edited:
Do we know which part of his shirt? What is it a part of his shirt which coincided with the marks on his right arm? In the link you provided, an item number was given, but didn't specify where on the shirt the sample was taken.
Of course we don't know any of that. The way things have been done by canton's finest it's surprising we know as much as we do. I'm hoping the defense has been able to sort these issues. You can also try to search for more info on the items you're curious about, maybe you will have better luck than me.JMOO

SWABS

Forensic Scientist: No Canine DNA on John O'Keefe's Shirt​

Teri Kun said swabs taken from John O'Keefe's shirt that came into her lab did not contain canine DNA. Kun also explained the process by which the evidence arrived at her lab sealed and documented with photos and notes.
Do we know which part of his shirt? Was is it a part of his shirt which coincided with the marks on his right arm? In the link you provided, an item number was given, but didn't specify where on the shirt the sample was taken.

I doubt they swabbed any discriminating areas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb