MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone find the testimony that the pieces collected on 1/29 by SERT match the tail light?

I don’t think anyone testified to that… only that they found the pieces.

Thank you in advance!

Those pieces found by sert on 1-29 have been haunting me. They were not turned in for examination on 2-3 when dicicco made the first delivery of plastic to the lab. They came in later but trying to find the chain of evidence log is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I would guess they went to lab when the shoe did but haven't confirmed that. Let's just say they were missing for days. JMOO

Here is a snipped example of their chain of custody and record keeping on items they found
Bukhenik’s testimony also touched on several searches he and other investigators conducted outside 34Fairview Road in the days and weeks after O’Keefe died.
He said he and Proctor met up with Trooper David DiCicco to search outside the home the morning of Feb.3, 2022, given the temperatures were rising and the snow on the front lawn was melting. The troopers requested documentation assistance from the State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and Bukhenik said the search turned up O’Keefe’s missing baseball cap, a cocktail straw, and pieces of plastic.
Bukhenik testified that he also directed the troopers in his office to drive past 34 Fairview Road on their way to and from work to see if the melting snow would reveal any other clues.
He said he stopped by the home again to collect evidence on Feb. 4 after receiving a call informing him that someone from the Canton Police Department found more evidence. Canton Police Lt. Michael Lank previously testified that then-Canton Police Chief Kenneth Berkowitz spotted evidence in the melting snow.
Answering later questions from Jackson,he confirmed he was aware the Canton Police Department had recused itself from the investigation into O’Keefe’s death because 34Fairview Road was owned at the time by Brian Albert, whose brother Kevin is a Canton police officer.
“So did you find it unusual or suspicious in any way that the chief of police for the conflicted Canton PD was the person driving by 34 Fairview looking for evidence?” Jackson asked.
“I did not find it suspicious at all,” Bukhenik answered.
The State Police Crime Scene Services Section did not come out to 34 Fairview Road to assist with documentation for a subsequent search on Feb. 10, 2022, Bukhenik testified.
We had collected so much evidence already, and so much had been documented at that point, that we did not contact Crime Scene Services to come back out and photograph more shards of glass and plastic,” he explained. “We simply collected it for processing.”
Bukhenik noted that the items foundon Feb. 10 were in the same vicinity as the other evidence recovered at that point.
Jackson showed Bukhenik a photo of an evidence collection bag purportedly containing pieces of plastic found at the scene that day. He asked the trooper if he was aware the bag wasn’t logged into evidence until March 14, 2022.
“I was not aware of that, no,”Bukhenik said.

Actually, oddly enough the prosecution seemingly presented the defense’s case. I have never seen anything like it.
That’s why the D said it needs only a week or so.
Bizarre.
And just to be clear, I am not pro KR , am pro justice. If LE can prove KR guilty so be it. So far nothing even remotely has been presented beyond a reasonable doubt.
LE failed one of their own with this
“investigation” sham. They are an embarrassment as is the DA who brought the whole mess to court.
Both P and D asked to delay things while the fbi investigation was active.
That would have been a good opportunity to retreat.
Lots of poor judgement through out this entire case.
JMO

? We saw the ring video from JOK’s house
With KR backing into John’s car. The wheel actually moves on his car. This was last week in court iirc. Jmo
She hit his bumper with hers - that’s what bumpers are for - notice there’s no shards from her taillight in that driveway

She hit his bumper with hers - that’s what bumpers are for - notice there’s no shards from her taillight in that driveway

I didn't notice that there were no shards. But, I also don't have vision quite that good to be able to see something like that with that particular view. That would require extraordinary vision.

IMO MOO

Was there any corresponding damage to John O'Keefe's car, from the contact made by Karen Read backing into it, that would confirm the tail light damage to her car?

With that kind of head injury, he may have had a seizure. May have been minimal vomiting so it doesn’t have to be all over himself or surrounding ding area .

The question we don’t have an answer to is, how healthy JO was?

I hope the police goes through regular physicals. My opinion, they are not the healthiest bunch to start with - usually, higher cholesterol and it is related to constant stress.

However, we are at the beginning of 2022. For all I know, 2020 and half of 2021, most doctors’ offices were closed here in WA. I assume MA is similar to WA, mentality-wise, I lived in both states, so isolation was taken seriously, and vaccinations, too. As the side effect, it meant fewer doctors’ visits. To be honest, places started opening in 2022. So it is quite possible that even if JO had his annual in 2021, it was too early to get it in the beginning of 2022.

Now, I paid attention to the “raccoon eyes syndrome” that everyone had been indirectly mentioning (hematomas on the eyes). These are not “eyes beaten”, it is a syndrome that is usually observed with basal skull fractures or other intracranial traumas. However, as I was refreshing memory about it yesterday, I read about other conditions causing it.

And this brings up a point. Could there be one of these conditions mentioned, undiagnosed, because it was at the beginning? Could JO be more prone to bleeding? I would be the first one to insist that we don’t know the answer for an obvious reason, TB posting photo of John’s arm with scratches was a postmortem photo, it is a major HIPAA violation. So I’d rather we don’t know the answer, but the question - could JO have the beginning of a condition that would lead to decreased blood clotting? And could it have exacerbated the consequences of being hit by a car and falling? - can be asked.

IMHO, it doesn’t minimize KR’s responsibility as you can’t drunk drive and hit your boyfriend with a car, sorry.

But I wanted to throw some food for thought as to when the consequences could be worse.

Intentional (which I think it was) or not, the damage has been done. Even if for some reason the Canton PD video is always mirrored, Lally and Buk both authenticated the video as being an accurate depiction, Buk on the stand and Lally by admitting it into evidence. Neither of them acknowledged that the video was mirrored or why it would have been. They just acted like the video depicted what was going on. It's bad.
Are there video camera surveillance systems which deliver a mirrored image? I suppose it's possible but I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want such a thing.

I tried to google for any such system, but I didn't have any luck.

Are there video camera surveillance systems which deliver a mirrored image? I suppose it's possible but I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want such a thing.

I tried to google for any such system, but I didn't have any luck.
Maybe the camera was pointed at a convex security mirror to give greater coverage.

If that was true we would have heard about it by now right? Just a thought. JMO.

1717983308430.png

Kerry Roberts testified it was a small hole. Doesn't mean shards of the light fell out at the scene. They are just as easily were pushed inwards in this situation.

But golly, how do you get 45 pieces at Fairview from a small hole? Unless of course, you pull them out and your name is Michael Proctor.

I don't remember when the first shoe was shown, if it was. We were all just looking to see if they ever found the missing one. And lo and behold, it was found right away but not revealed to us until recently.
I think we were shown only one shoe. And we only saw the picture of the other one.
And the pieces found on 1/29 by SERT were never bagged in an evidence bag saying 1/29.
There is a bag showing 2/4/22, initials DMD, but that bag has not been open since 2/4/22.

For those that are adamant pieces that SERT found as the car was being towed back to the sallyport, please provide a source showing those pieces are from the Lexus tail light.

Those pieces found by sert on 1-29 have been haunting me. They were not turned in for examination on 2-3 when dicicco made the first delivery of plastic to the lab. They came in later but trying to find the chain of evidence log is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I would guess they went to lab when the shoe did but haven't confirmed that. Let's just say they were missing for days. JMOO

Here is a snipped example of their chain of custody and record keeping on items they found
Bukhenik’s testimony also touched on several searches he and other investigators conducted outside 34Fairview Road in the days and weeks after O’Keefe died.
He said he and Proctor met up with Trooper David DiCicco to search outside the home the morning of Feb.3, 2022, given the temperatures were rising and the snow on the front lawn was melting. The troopers requested documentation assistance from the State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and Bukhenik said the search turned up O’Keefe’s missing baseball cap, a cocktail straw, and pieces of plastic.
Bukhenik testified that he also directed the troopers in his office to drive past 34 Fairview Road on their way to and from work to see if the melting snow would reveal any other clues.
He said he stopped by the home again to collect evidence on Feb. 4 after receiving a call informing him that someone from the Canton Police Department found more evidence. Canton Police Lt. Michael Lank previously testified that then-Canton Police Chief Kenneth Berkowitz spotted evidence in the melting snow.
Answering later questions from Jackson,he confirmed he was aware the Canton Police Department had recused itself from the investigation into O’Keefe’s death because 34Fairview Road was owned at the time by Brian Albert, whose brother Kevin is a Canton police officer.
“So did you find it unusual or suspicious in any way that the chief of police for the conflicted Canton PD was the person driving by 34 Fairview looking for evidence?” Jackson asked.
The State Police Crime Scene Services Section did not come out to 34 Fairview Road to assist with documentation for a subsequent search on Feb. 10, 2022, Bukhenik testified.
We had collected so much evidence already, and so much had been documented at that point, that we did not contact Crime Scene Services to come back out and photograph more shards of glass and plastic,” he explained. “We simply collected it for processing.”
Bukhenik noted that the items foundon Feb. 10 were in the same vicinity as the other evidence recovered at that point.
Jackson showed Bukhenik a photo of an evidence collection bag purportedly containing pieces of plastic found at the scene that day. He asked the trooper if he was aware the bag wasn’t logged into evidence until March 14, 2022.
'Bukhenik testified that he also directed the troopers in his office to drive past 34 Fairview Road on their way to and from work to see if the melting snow would reveal any other clues.'

helluva methodology he got goin' on there...

And IIRC at least one of those submitted / entered evidence collection bags had detective Bukhenik’s name on it as the collector / submitter. And he was clarifying to AJ under cross that he did not collect it and it was not his writing. (He also I believed would not confirm whether that writing was that of Proctor.)

And towards the end of the testimony he (Bukhenik) indicated that the evidence bag was a true and accurate collection (or words to that effect) IIRC. I was a little surprised that defense counsel did not press that a bit further….. but he knows what he is doing and I do not. MOO

'Bukhenik testified that he also directed the troopers in his office to drive past 34 Fairview Road on their way to and from work to see if the melting snow would reveal any other clues.'

helluva methodology he got goin' on there...

His actual testimony was that they were waiting for "more evidence to reveal itself". Unreal.

Maybe the camera was pointed at a convex security mirror to give greater coverage.

If that was true we would have heard about it by now right? Just a thought. JMO.

View attachment 509063
I thought about that but it seems a weird way of setting up a video camera. With modern equipment it's easy to set up a camera to get the whole room without needing to do something like that.

Also, wouldn't everything in the video appear to be curved, like in the photo? I don't think there's any way to map a rectangular field of view to a curved mirror without a lot of funhouse effects.

There's got to be some reason for it, so you may be right. Maybe we'll learn why during redirect.

Christina Hanley, a forensic scientist with the Massachusetts State Police Crime Laboratory, testified that she analyzed small amounts of clear and red plastic material taken from O’Keefe’s clothing. She said the materials were “consistent” in color and other characteristics with a portion of the taillight she examined from Read’s SUV. She said they could have originated from the taillight or from another source with the same characteristics.

That last sentence may be worthy of further investigation.
Easy to buy a tail light and smash it up and chuck it around.
I wonder whether there is further analysis possible that can prove or disprove that this was the actual plastic from her model and no other vehicle of the same make and model?

Was there any corresponding damage to John O'Keefe's car, from the contact made by Karen Read backing into it, that would confirm the tail light damage to her car?

Not that anyone has confirmed either way, but the absence of corresponding damage on John's car really means nothing here. She hit his car at an angle and it's not unusual for there to be damage to only one taillight. The laws of physics do not require an equal reaction in this situation.

Not that anyone has confirmed either way, but the absence of corresponding damage on John's car really means nothing here. She hit his car at an angle and it's not unusual for there to be damage to only one taillight. The laws of physics do not require an equal reaction in this situation.
I was just wondering if there was a scratch or even just a blemish that lined up with the height of the tail light.

It wouldn't have to be severe damage. So to me it means something. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay