MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just imagining Judge Bev now sitting beach side, with her cup of Dunkin with a splash ( or two) of Baileys. She's reading documents, and watching videos...trying to decide if the latest surprise ( not properly admitted ) testimony from the 'expert' witness that is Trooper Paul can come in.

Can she see the tire move? Will she see the tire move ?
Is Alan Jackson right? Was this testimony deceitfully put in, after the fact?

What to do...what to do ??

Tune in Monday....
I hate Judge Bev so much. She's so transparently biased in favor of the prosecution. She barely even pretends to be impartial.

I hate Judge Bev so much. She's so transparently biased in favor of the prosecution. She barely even pretends to be impartial.
I have changed my opinion of her over the last week or so. She is a very hands-on judge and I loved when she dressed down Lally yesterday afternoon. To be fair, she also was short with Jackson yesterday re: the JO driveway video.

Just imagining Judge Bev now sitting beach side, with her cup of Dunkin with a splash ( or two) of Baileys. She's reading documents, and watching videos...trying to decide if the latest surprise ( not properly admitted ) testimony from the 'expert' witness that is Trooper Paul can come in.

Can she see the tire move? Will she see the tire move ?
Is Alan Jackson right? Was this testimony deceitfully put in, after the fact?

What to do...what to do ??

Tune in Monday....
You got it! You've become an official Massachusetts bud.

I'm now forced to admit that I do not know what a voir dire is.
It's what they did at the end of Friday with the current witness, where both defense and commonwealth question the witness outside the presence of the jury to see if they have the relevant knowledge to testify about the subjects they've been called to give evidence to, then the judge decides if the evidence is allowed or not.

Edit: added "outside the presence of the jury"

I mean really !!! Trooper Pau's magical story defies common sense. Did JOK spin around while horizontal? Was he doing the spin move upright? Or was he upside down and pirouetting when his head was hit ? And, how exactly did JOK's PHONE end up underneath him, Troopah Paul? Were the shards of plastic spinning also, before they cut his arm?

Such nonsense displayed in court and to the jury. With a straight face no less.
MOO
Trooper Paul really destroyed all credibility with the jury....he could not even concede that it is "possible" to hit JO's car and have damage on KR's car but not on JO. He could have at least conceded that it is "possible" but not probable. Jackson just left it to the jury to decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually I find just when you think she is so very biased she then does something that benefits the defense. I think I just don't particularly like the way she treats Jackson and she seems to be putting on a show for the cameras.

So, if I understood the cw crash expert trooper, their theory is that JO received the back of the head injury from hitting the curb rather than from the tail light as was previously purported.MOO
They're going to need a crash expert to analyse what happened to this Trooper by the time Jackson is finished with him on Monday. It's going to be savage.

JMO

It doesn't make sense her driving around looking for him.

He was at his friends house. According to her.

It was a blizzard outside.
There is no chance JO was out wandering around in it.

Her behaviour reeks of someone in a frenzy who had done something terrible and dire and was still trying to work out what the heck to do with the nightmare she had created.

moo
If you think she hit him
Which iirc you do
Do you think she is also stupid?
If she knew she hit him her best bet was to stay put and not go looking for him.
Makes no sense to me - if I hit him maybe I wake up and around mid morning start to phone around nonchalantly wondering where he slept if off.
These guys were not his “ boys” or his buddies. He was not inner circle. They were cops so there is that. But they did not socialize etc. That is why KR wondered about going there. She and JOK were not part of that crowd.
She thought going to the after party at BA’s house was a bad idea. Obvi John disagreed so she drove him over there. She was waiting in the car for him to let her know if he was staying. When she never heard from him she went back to John’s house.
Lots of people from the party saw her sitting in her car alone for quite a while - they even said she moved the car a bit. The same people did not see JOK ‘s body lying on the ground.
Wonder when the body showed up lying outside in the lawn?
I think Lucky the snow plow guy ( not related to anyone else in this case) will soon testify that there was no body there at 230 either.
Puzzling
IMO

If you think she hit him
Which iirc you do
Do you think she is also stupid?
If she knew she hit him her best bet was to stay put and not go looking for him.
Makes no sense to me - if I hit him maybe I wake up and around mid morning start to phone around nonchalantly wondering where he slept if off.
These guys were not his “ boys” or his buddies. He was not inner circle. They were cops so there is that. But they did not socialize etc. That is why KR wondered about going there. She and JOK were not part of that crowd.
She thought going to the after party at BA’s house was a bad idea. Obvi John disagreed so she drove him over there. She was waiting in the car for him to let her know if he was staying. When she never heard from him she went back to John’s house.
Lots of people from the party saw her sitting in her car alone for quite a while - they even said she moved the car a bit. The same people did not see JOK ‘s body lying on the ground.
Wonder when the body showed up lying outside in the lawn?
I think Lucky the snow plow guy ( not related to anyone else in this case) will soon testify that there was no body there at 230 either.
Puzzling
IMO
I agree he was put out later when Alberts car was down that area.

Puzzling
IMO

The police are claiming they don't believe Lucky because he's stupid and color blind (like being color blind is even remotely relevant here. John was in neutral clothes and a parked SUV is a parked SUV).

If he comes across well, there's zero chance of conviction, IMHO. Yannetti visited with him the other day and seemed very happy about their talk.

We already know KR went straight to JOKs house due to the timeline. Any extra mileage was from looking all over the place running around looking for JOK. My opinion is that she simply did not remember. She thought he was left a the bar. Forgot about dropping him off but didn't remember where 34F was.
Incorrect. The mileage includes her driving to her parents’ house. The mileage actually helps prove that she did not “drive all over the place.”

It's been a long time since I got really drunk, but yeah, your memory does return in dribs and drabs especially as people fill in little details and it starts coming back. It doesn't really surprise me that she would remember more after reconstructing events than she did that morning.

Jen McCabe stated that Karen thought she last saw John at the Waterfall, until Jen reminded her about being at 34 Fairview.

Hey, if you want to convict her for drunk driving, you'll get no argument from me. She likely drank too much and should have never gotten behind the wheel. But I don't think her swiss-cheese memory is evidence that she committed murder.
It’s entirely possible that she also took a sleeping pill/aid ambien type thing when she got back to John’s. That combined with the level of booze can produce strange behavior and short term memory lapse.
She may even not remember taking the pill.
JMO

Jackson has all weekend to fine tune his attack. Watching him is the best part of this trial.
He's also probably still absolutely fuming about the surprise addition of the the tap on JO'K's to this witness's testimony, which will have given him extra prep to have to do over the weekend! :eek: He's going into that cross examination HOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14