Identified! MA - Provincetown, Race Point, 'Lady in the Dunes' WhtFem 27-49, UP11840, Jul'74 - Ruth Marie Terry

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would work out that way, but I have difficulty reconciling that kind of background with the need for that kind of dental work. Income doesn't necessarily equate to good dental hygiene, but you'd think they would have taken her to the dentist before it reached that state.

Excellent point. Especially with the extraordinary gum work she had.

On a different note, about her Wrangler jeans.... I'm trying to remember if back in the 70s they were popular all over the country, as opposed to Lees and Levis. In the past 25 or so years Wranglers and Mavericks aren't common on the east coast, but they've always been regionally popular in the Midwest and West; they're cheaper, but also "working" jeans, used by horsey people, or people in farm country. I know that in the 70s I was wearing Lees and eschewed Wranglers as dorky. I grew up in a college town in the midwest, and would never have worn Wranglers. Just a thought.

Excellent point. Especially with the extraordinary gum work she had.

On a different note, about her Wrangler jeans.... I'm trying to remember if back in the 70s they were popular all over the country, as opposed to Lees and Levis. In the past 25 or so years Wranglers and Mavericks aren't common on the east coast, but they've always been regionally popular in the Midwest and West; they're cheaper, but also "working" jeans, used by horsey people, or people in farm country. I know that in the 70s I was wearing Lees and eschewed Wranglers as dorky. I grew up in a college town in the midwest, and would never have worn Wranglers. Just a thought.

I actually had a similar thought about the Wranglers. I remember reading a case file from a more recent case (maybe during the '90s but possibly as far back as the '80s) and it mentioned how the style of clothing, Wrangler jeans, was unusual for New England. I can't speak absolutely, but I don't think that brand was popular here in the 1970s either.

Another thought/ question: Do we know exactly what the gum treatments were? Her teeth may not have been in horrible condition depending on what the treatment was. My husband's teeth are perfectly straight, he's only one cavity, but his dentist suggested a few years ago that he remove some of his excessive gum tissue for cosmetic purposes. To me his gums look fine but I guess some people have issues or feel discomfort with large gums. This treatment would have cost quite a bit of money, into the thousands, so he did not have it done.

It seems possible, although at this point difficult to know, that a similar type of surgery could have been done on LOD for cosmetic purposes.

Good point about the Wrangler jeans. I grew up in the rural west, so I didn't think anything of it. I wore Wranglers because Levis were no better and way more expensive.

34 waist -- she's a robust woman.

Another thought/ question: Do we know exactly what the gum treatments were? Her teeth may not have been in horrible condition depending on what the treatment was. My husband's teeth are perfectly straight, he's only one cavity, but his dentist suggested a few years ago that he remove some of his excessive gum tissue for cosmetic purposes. To me his gums look fine but I guess some people have issues or feel discomfort with large gums. This treatment would have cost quite a bit of money, into the thousands, so he did not have it done.

It seems possible, although at this point difficult to know, that a similar type of surgery could have been done on LOD for cosmetic purposes.

I looked through the papers today trying to find any follow through on the case, and hoped to see something about the dentist and the teeth filing to find out age, maybe more details on LOD's dental work... but nada, and I looked all the way through to the end of December 1974 (where the reel ended) and there was no more mention of the case. So I don't know the nature of her gum treatments. I did make copies of the articles, though, and maybe will try to find a way to post them here. I could transcribe them, but they would be long posts. I'll do it if there is enough interest and I'm allowed to make a big post.

I actually had a similar thought about the Wranglers. I remember reading a case file from a more recent case (maybe during the '90s but possibly as far back as the '80s) and it mentioned how the style of clothing, Wrangler jeans, was unusual for New England. I can't speak absolutely, but I don't think that brand was popular here in the 1970s either.

I remember seeing a lot of Wranglers then (but I was in Colo.), however, we thought Levis were cooler.

Well, I talked to the police chief at our town meeting a few nights ago, and asked him about this case, which he recently brought to the FBI headquarters for more tests etc.. He told me that the FBI will be running numerous checks and tests, and that her dentals had not been properly entered into the NCIC database until now. Also said that they will be doing tests on her hair that will determine what part of the world she came from! He is determined to do everything possible to close this and identify her, but it might take a while to get all the tests back since this old cold case is not a top priority for the FBI. Still, it's great that something more is being done. I'll keep you all posted.

Very cool on the isotope testing. Thanks for the info. I think that will really help!

Well, I talked to the police chief at our town meeting a few nights ago, and asked him about this case, which he recently brought to the FBI headquarters for more tests etc.. He told me that the FBI will be running numerous checks and tests, and that her dentals had not been properly entered into the NCIC database until now. Also said that they will be doing tests on her hair that will determine what part of the world she came from! He is determined to do everything possible to close this and identify her, but it might take a while to get all the tests back since this old cold case is not a top priority for the FBI. Still, it's great that something more is being done. I'll keep you all posted.

Wow--well done & great news, polywog!

Thanks for linking! Read that thread, and it's interesting... I recall when Haddon Clark was brought up here from prison to help find bodies, and there was a lot of speculation about him being her murderer. It didn't pan out, can't remember why. Eric Williams, the Cape Cod Times reporter, is a friend of mine. If anyone here wants links to older articles perhaps I can get them from him.

There was a biker gang by the name of BBR's - Bar to Bar Racers from Brockton, MA that used to go to Provincetown around 1978 or 1979. I wonder if the group was active during 1976? I remember hearing them talk of this UID back then but can not remember what was said. I was just a teenager then. I do know they had recently acquired a new club house in 1978 but I do not know if the one before that was in Brockton also.

Very good, Polywog! It's great that they're still doing what they can to solve this, and haven't stopped caring.

Can I ask? What is Isotope testing and where is this done?

Isotope testing is the analysis of the chemical composition of different segments of a strand of hair to determine where the person has been. The water supplies in different parts of the world/country contain different oxygen and hydrogen isotope patterns, and those patterns show up in a person's hair.

From what I can gather looking it up, the University of Utah has mapped out the geographic distributions of various oxygen/hydrogen isotope patterns.

I found the following quote from James Ehleringer, University of Utah:

In 2008 we published a paper establishing a relationship between the hydrogen and oxygen isotope of human hair and geographic patterns…To the best of my knowledge, we are the only laboratory that has taken the hair isotope patterns and explicitly placed them onto a GIS display (i.e., map). As you see from that map, there are not unique relationships in the USA, only banding patterns. I am unaware of any substantive regional and/or global pattern analyses other than those out of our lab. Thus, I find it surprising that scientists in the UK have not only acquired the data to develop global maps but also that this technique has been refined to the point that it is a viable, reliable screening tool with the specificity implicit in the document. There are not unique global distribution patterns for hydrogen and oxygen isotopes of water. Instead there are repeatable patterns across continents in a general sense. We would expect hair hydrogen and oxygen isotopes to exhibit the same pattern. Thus, a unique specificity that would be appropriate for the proposed application seems unlikely. Now the additional analyses of heavy isotopes in hair may further constrain the possible regions of origin, but I do not believe that our science has reached the point where we can be specific at the country or within country scale. ...

... Hydrogen and oxygen isotopes of hair reveal recent regional geographic patterns. Assuming that hair grows at about 1 cm per month, a 10-cm hair length might record the last 10 months of that person's travel…

Source: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2009/09/nationality-tes-1.html

Does anyone think there's a chance our lady was a victim of serial killer Rodney Alcala?

He has a pattern of strangling women, beating them about the head, and mutilating them. He was in jail for most of 1974, but he was out for a couple of months. I'm still looking for the exact dates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back