MA - Remains of 3 infants found, Erika Murray charged, Blackstone, Sept 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
well with EM charged with two counts of murder regarding some of the remains found in the home, ad her trying to say, via her attorney that she was so terrified of RR, and RR with all his shaking and quaking befuddled behavior, I suspect this will go to trial and that they will each continue to try to assign blame for this horrific business squarely upon the other.

It's pretty clear the cops were using him for info before they pounced. They were being so evenhanded in reference to him that I either thought that they had more information that indicated he really didn't know what was going on, or they were just hoping he'd keep talking. Surprised it took this long - maybe they finally got something from him that they needed. Although as has been said, they both seem to have enough evidence against them that no more is really needed. I do not anticipate it going to trial - I anticipate a plea, but not a very lenient one.

Lawyer for Blackstone mother casts doubt on murder indictment
Concerning one set of remains, Halpern said he believes the “only evidence” supporting prosecutors’ claim that the child had ever lived is “the fact that the child had clothing on.” That alone, he said, is not evidence of life, and therefore, casts doubt on whether a murder charge is warranted.

Murray told investigators that one child lived for a period of time and that she found the baby dead after putting the child down for a nap one day, he said. She told police two other children were stillborn, Halpern said.

“I don’t find it incredible that a woman who gives birth to a stillborn child at home would put that child in clothing,” he said.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-indictment/cV7PE5QNPrHbilMolkR9KP/story.html

Seriously? This detail alone is so disturbing. If EM didn't do anything to contribute to the infants' deaths, why would she not give them proper burial?

I am a little confused. We waited months for the Medical Examiner's report on the babies for information on cause of death. This case went to the Grand Jury (I assume after ME report published) and Rivera's Atty said he never testified in the GJ. I wonder if they didn't just play video of his 2 interrogations with LEO. I have always wondered if the ME could actually determine COD by skeletal remains. I would imagine it may be speculative, but not far out of spectrum to assume the babies died from malnutrition and neglect (just like the other 2 living babies were found). These 2 infants just didn't make it through where the others were able to draw on more reserves (ie: more baby fat or higher birth weight).

I cannot believe EM would diaper & dress a deceased infant - she barely did that for her living infants (based upon first responder reports). She just tossed them aside in the trash of the home, along with dead animals, feces, and drink containers.

Upthread there were MSM reports that EM often left the bed she and RR were sleeping in to sleep with the 6 month old. Why? She didn't do that with the 3 y/o because RR claims he never knew of this child's existence (despite the banging and rocking) that had become so much a part of this child's life.

I still wonder what EM's parents are thinking. They must have seen the pictures of the home, know the conditions of the infants, and know that they could have intervened to help but never did. They also know that they are not approved to have custody of the older two kids and have no "grandparent" rights to ask for visitation. I would imagine that CPS would preclude the older kids from having contact with Maternal Gparents as they were deemed not appropriate and quite possibly a reason this went on for so long.

My wish for all the kids that survived this House of Horrors is they have the best Christmas ever. They have come to know what it feels like to go to sleep and wake in clean sheets, a nice room, regular bathing is part of a normal routine, full tummies, children are delighted in, and they have toys that help them to grow and develop in a healthy and safe enviornment.

May they get to experience the magic of Christmas and the holiday season, knowing that someone cares enough about them to not only meet their needs, but also offer love and laughter. May the older kids learn that secrets are no longer a required part of their lives. They are now free to just be kids.

It looks like EM is scheduled for court Dec. 29th (Mon.) for the murder charges.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2014/12/erika_murray_to_be_arraigned_o.html

I assume she would enter a plea at that time?? While I doubt that the children would be brought into a trial, could their statements/interviews with investigators or social workers be used in a trial? I don't know if this is fact or if I've watched too much TV, but are spouses excluded from testifying against one another? I don't know what to think about EM and if she'd be willing to accept a plea. She has a pretty ambitious and seasoned attorney (is he court appointed?). I have a pretty good feeling that RR will accept one though. I don't think that man would last in a courtroom, IMO. That doesn't make me feel sorry for him one iota, but I figure he'd be more open to accepting if offered.

What do you think an appropriate sentence would be? I don't want to get into or start a debate on DP vs No DP...I mainly wonder if you think EM/RR should be in a forensic unit or a regular state prison? Length of sentence? Termination of rights or should they be allowed contact with just the older two or both if they're convicted? Soooo many questions. I hope all the little survivors (I mean the older ones too because in my eyes, they're still babies) had as Merry of a Christmas as possible. Let's hope the new year has even greater things in store for them all.

I think both will plead guilty. MA doesn't have the DP. I highly doubt anyone will make the children testify, and videos etc. can't generally be used. I doubt anyone wants to go to trial. I think the mother belongs in a mental institution, and obviously deserves to lose all parental rights, but I have a feeling she will end up pleading to life. An insanity defense would likely fail and require an awful trial. I don't know what the father's mental state is, but I could see him pleading to like 60 years or something that is essentially a life sentence. A mess all around. I don't care what happens to them as long as they aren't caring for children (or pets). I think they are mentally off enough that there is no real way to get them to understand the wrongfulness of their actions through punishment. Nothing will undo the damage to those poor children - I hope they are making progress.

I think both will plead guilty. MA doesn't have the DP. I highly doubt anyone will make the children testify, and videos etc. can't generally be used. I doubt anyone wants to go to trial. I think the mother belongs in a mental institution, and obviously deserves to lose all parental rights, but I have a feeling she will end up pleading to life. An insanity defense would likely fail and require an awful trial. I don't know what the father's mental state is, but I could see him pleading to like 60 years or something that is essentially a life sentence. A mess all around. I don't care what happens to them as long as they aren't caring for children (or pets). I think they are mentally off enough that there is no real way to get them to understand the wrongfulness of their actions through punishment. Nothing will undo the damage to those poor children - I hope they are making progress.

Great, informative post, lawstudent! Thank you for your insight and perspective. I agree, it is a mess all around and no one truly "wins" here. I agree they have to both have significant mental health issues. I worry though if they end up in a forensic unit or state mental health facility, if they'd be eligible for a release sooner than if they were in a state penitentiary. I didn't even think to check about whether DP was a possibility when I posted previously. I believe it was the end of the night, I guess I was frazzled with the holidays.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out today what her plea will be...Honestly, I feel it would be better for them to both plead guilty. While I do have a ton of questions, they aren't legal ones and wouldn't have a bearing on their innocence or guilt. I think a trial would just victimize those kids all over again even if they weren't present, the media would be in some fashion and we've all seen the harm that can cause sometimes.

Ray Rivera, 38, was indicted on two counts of assault and battery on a child causing substantial bodily injury, two counts of reckless endangerment of a child, two counts of cruelty to animals and one count of cultivating marijuana.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/29/justice/massachusetts-house-of-horrors-mom-plea/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

BBM haven't seen the accompanying video yet, does anyone know what this was about? ie. which child, circumstances, specifics, etc.

Wondering if he is just being charged with this as the mother is or if some specific incident is being cited here with these charges.

Oh dear God. I just started clicking through the link of 80 pictures of that disgusting house. There are no words. It's disturbing enough that only halfway through, I'm pretty sure I've already seen two dead dogs, but to think that four living children lived in this?!! I've seen some horrible episodes of Hoarders and nothing compares to this. Especially considering what those two youngest lived in. There are so many empty water jugs but no empty formula containers. That just breaks my heart, I can only imagine that the reason those two youngest children are still alive, are because of their older siblings, doing all they can to try to take care of them in the squalor they live in, at their mother's neglect. How horrible for them to try to rationalize in their young minds, why their mother would "care for" them but neglect the little ones. They didn't tell anyone because they were probably so emotionally abused and threatened by her, that they were afraid to break up their family. How unbelievably sad. Just my own opinion BTW. My heart is breaking for all 7 of those precious innocent children.

Just checking in to see if there has been any more information on this case.

thanks for bumping wenwe. It made me go searching.

Latest I could find.

And when police arrested Erika Murray, three of whose seven children were found dead in her squalid Blackstone home, the sunny facade of domestic bliss so carefully crafted on her Facebook page left me choking on the smokescreen. (“Some people should not be parents!” she posted at one point.)
Our social-media sleuthing is an extension of our naturally morbid curiosities, as well as our instinctive compulsion to fill in gaps — to make sense of the senseless. But it also serves to remind us of who we are online. Our digital footprints ultimately tell us little of one another’s actual journeys. A profile is, by definition, a limited view, and the selves we create for ourselves seldom tell the whole story.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...arty-begins/WI7YsiXsJYZeeEuAnbJW6N/story.html

The hearing Wednesday will give the both the prosecution and defense time to view each other’s witness lists, along with other evidence.
Published at 5:44 AM EDT on Feb 11, 2015

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Pretrial-Hearing-for-House-of-Squalor-Father-291500681.html

Posted Feb. 12, 2015 at 12:01 AM

WORCESTER - The Blackstone father accused of abusing his children and keeping them in a squalid Blackstone home will appear in court next month.​
Raymond Rivera, formerly of 23 St. Paul St., did not appear in court at a scheduled hearing Wednesday, but a compliance hearing was scheduled for March 25.​
- See more at: http://www.milforddailynews.com/article/20150212/News/150218846#sthash.kNpnjHTi.dpuf

Thanks for the updated information. Does anyone know what takes place at a "compliance hearing"?

I wonder if one of the sides has indicated they are not quiet ready to show their evidence/witness list to the other and requested a continuance? Compliance hearing in that someone must comply by that time period? You got me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back