MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also a local from a neighboring town. One thing that should be considered is that it really could have been someone she knew or a stalker, and wouldn't have even had to be someone from the area because of the MapMyRun app. It looks like she does have an account that's searchable by name, and although it hasn't been updated in almost a year, you can see her route for when she's visiting Princeton.

I'm not sure where the info that her phone pinged in front of the mnt barn came from, but if it is true, I put together this map of the area and perhaps her run route.

It occurred to me if she did take this route she might have been running on 31 and looped back into back roads from the center of town. The point is if she did take this route, it increases the chances that a random person could have spotted her and followed her when she turned back down into a more secluded section.

View attachment 99630

Looks like on MapMyRun that this actually was a route that she'd run before. Seems to be the longer route she'd take while visiting Princeton.

I haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping they will soon!
Can we please discuss her phone pinging by the Mountainview Barn Restaurant at 2:25 pm? I'm assuming they are trying to piece together her final run. I've done it on google maps and there are a few options.
Being from the area, this is so frightening. Princeton is a beautiful, rural and safe town. It also doesn't have any major highways or even roads running through it- in other words, it's not like truckers/ transients are moving through. You would kind of have to seek it out specifically. Rt. 31 is the busiest road and it's hardly busy. I think it is someone local to the area. I really don't think the Queens jogger is connected at all. I think people like to jump to "serial killer" quickly because it's too terrible to think that there could be more than one of these psychos on the loose. Just my two cents.

BBM

Can you please post a link to that information about her phone ping? I haven't heard about but it's certainly useful. Thanks.

BBM

Can you please post a link to that information about her phone ping? I haven't heard about but it's certainly useful. Thanks.

Here's what I've found about the phone, after a quick google search, BBM

"Noel B. Richards, 19, said Ms. Marcotte’s aunt approached him at his home on Ball Hill Road around 4:30 p.m. Sunday, desperate to find Vanessa and asking if he had seen her. Mr. Richards said the woman was parked on the side of the road looking for Ms. Marcotte. He said he had never met the woman before and did not know the family. The woman told him that Ms. Marcotte left her mother’s house around 1 p.m. for a run, he said, and had a bus ticket for 4:30 from Worcester to New York, but hadn’t returned.
'She was in desperation and had already called police,' Mr. Richards said. 'She (her aunt) told me the last ping to her niece’s phone was at 2:25 in the Mountain Barn (Restaurant) area. Then she saw a state police car driving down the road and chased it'"

http://www.telegram.com/article/20160809/NEWS/160809262

Just getting here -- catching up. I saw this article, and then I came directly here, and sure enuff, there's a thread for her here. Bless her heart. It sounds like she was a fine person with a good future ahead of her.

Another ugly one. What makes people do such such awful things to their fellow human beings? SMH.

I hope this article has not been posted already -- if so, please forgive. Within this article is a link to another good article about all this.

In the article cited in the lead article below, the LEO's are asking people to be alert and careful. Ummmmff. Sounds serious and scary to me -- joggers need to pair-up or go to a gym.

Dammit.

http://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/08/...d=crimewatch_eme_23873_2016-08-09-feature_img

Thank you for sharing, borndem. ITA!

@CrimeWatchDaily cites @WBZ, so I'm bringing over the links:

Woman Found Slain In Princeton Woods « CBS Boston
http://cbsloc.al/2biAe5w
Direct link to embedded video:
http://cbsloc.al/2b13PCK

#JusticeForMarissa
:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your local perspective is greatly appreciated, junebug85.

:welcome4:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I've found about the phone, after a quick google search, BBM

"Noel B. Richards, 19, said Ms. Marcotte’s aunt approached him at his home on Ball Hill Road around 4:30 p.m. Sunday, desperate to find Vanessa and asking if he had seen her. Mr. Richards said the woman was parked on the side of the road looking for Ms. Marcotte. He said he had never met the woman before and did not know the family. The woman told him that Ms. Marcotte left her mother’s house around 1 p.m. for a run, he said, and had a bus ticket for 4:30 from Worcester to New York, but hadn’t returned.
'She was in desperation and had already called police,' Mr. Richards said. 'She (her aunt) told me the last ping to her niece’s phone was at 2:25 in the Mountain Barn (Restaurant) area. Then she saw a state police car driving down the road and chased it'"

And there's more info about that ping....

"Mr. Richards, who is also a runner, said he calculated the time it would take to run from the Mountain Barn back to Ms. Marcotte’s mother’s house as about an hour.
'Being 4:30, it was eerie that the last ping to her phone was at 2:25 and she left at 1,' he said."

From that same article, it states that Vanessa had a 4:30 bus ticket back to the city (as we speculated earlier, she didn't drive in a car).

I'm not sure where the info that her phone pinged in front of the mnt barn came from, but if it is true, I put together this map of the area and perhaps her run route.

It occurred to me if she did take this route she might have been running on 31 and looped back into back roads from the center of town. The point is if she did take this route, it increases the chances that a random person could have spotted her and followed her when she turned back down into a more secluded section.

View attachment 99630

Thank you - this is great.

And there's more info about that ping....

"Mr. Richards, who is also a runner, said he calculated the time it would take to run from the Mountain Barn back to Ms. Marcotte’s mother’s house as about an hour.
'Being 4:30, it was eerie that the last ping to her phone was at 2:25 and she left at 1,' he said."

From that same article, it states that Vanessa had a 4:30 bus ticket back to the city (as we speculated earlier, she didn't drive in a car).

I was thinking there had to be a reason the police responded so quickly. It seemed odd that she had only been missing 3 hrs when she was reported missing, and police immediately responded by calling state police and beginning a search. The fact she had a specific departure time would make sense as to why they were immediately concerned.

That said there are a couple things in the timeline that seem a little odd to me. From her moms to the mnt barn would have been about half of the loop. Which as you said would have taken about an hr. She left her moms at 115 and the ping at the barn was around 2:25. It would have taken approximately another hour approximately to run the rest of the loop, putting her back home a bit after 330. Probably closer to 345.

I'm assuming most people would take a shower after a run before getting on a 3 hr bus ride. In order for her to get to the bus station in Worcester for a 4:30 departure. It just seems like maybe a tight timeline / long run to do when you know you have to be showered and ready by 4pm.

I was thinking there had to be a reason the police responded so quickly. It seemed odd that she had only been missing 3 hrs when she was reported missing, and police immediately responded by calling state police and beginning a search. The fact she had a specific departure time would make sense as to why they were immediately concerned.

That said there are a couple things in the timeline that seem a little odd to me. From her moms to the mnt barn would have been about half of the loop. Which as you said would have taken about an hr. She left her moms at 115 and the ping at the barn was around 2:25. It would have taken approximately another hour approximately to run the rest of the loop, putting her back home a bit after 330. Probably closer to 345.

I'm assuming most people would take a shower after a run before getting on a 3 hr bus ride. In order for her to get to the bus station in Worcester for a 4:30 departure. It just seems like maybe a tight timeline / long run to do when you know you have to be showered and ready by 4pm.

I thought it was a tight timeline too, but perhaps the location where she was to catch her bus was very nearby. When taking the bus, you don't need to arrive early - it's possible to arrive just in time to board.

Do any of our locals know where the bus stop would be?

Actually according to her MapMyRun data, she was able to do that full loop in a little over an hour. I screenshot it but can't figure out how to post images here. Still a newbie.

Anyone know how the aunt would know where/when Vanessa's phone would ping? Is there a safety feature that runners (and others) use so family can locate them in an emergency while on a run? Could it be something like "Find my Phone" app?

Anyone know how the aunt would know where/when Vanessa's phone would ping? Is there a safety feature that runners (and others) use so family can locate them in an emergency while on a run? Could it be something like "Find my Phone" app?
Do you think that's information police would provide the family right away?

Do you think that's information police would provide the family right away?

From what I understand from the article posted above, the aunt asked a man for help finding Vanessa. She told him her phone pinged at the restaurant area. THEN she saw a LE car while they were talking, and she pursued the LE car.

I'm assuming that was the first contact with LE? Well, likely the mom at home was calling LE while the aunt went out looking. Either way, I think it was very early on in the search that the aunt had this info.

From what I understand at this point.

jmo

Yes it's 30 minutes from her house, which is why I said she would have had to leave by 4pm. The bus station is in Worcester, by the train station.

I thought it was a tight timeline too, but perhaps the location where she was to catch her bus was very nearby. When taking the bus, you don't need to arrive early - it's possible to arrive just in time to board.

Do any of our locals know where the bus stop would be?

She'd probably be going to Union Station. Between 20 and 30 minutes away. I don't think the man they interviewed gave an accurate estimate of how long her run would take, however.

But it raises a question - was her cellphone ever found? Could it have been dumped/brought around the Mountain Barn area, but she never ran that far?

interesting, another runner mentioned it would take an hour from her house to mnt barn which is a little over half the loop. But if she could do the loop in an hour....then why would she ping at the half way point over an hour into her run when she should have been just about finishing up?

Unless....she was in the woods at that point which is basically btw the Mnt Barn and her house. And the nearest ping location happen to be the mnt barn.

interesting, another runner mentioned it would take an hour from her house to mnt barn which is a little over half the loop. But if she could do the loop in an hour....then why would she ping at the half way point over an hour into her run when she should have been just about finishing up?

Unless....she was in the woods at that point which is basically btw the Mnt Barn and her house. And the nearest ping location happen to be the mnt barn.

Yes - that's my question. How do those pings work? How close do they pinpoint the location?

She'd probably be going to Union Station. Between 20 and 30 minutes away. I don't think the man they interviewed gave an accurate estimate of how long her run would take, however.

But it raises a question - was her cellphone ever found? Could it have been dumped/brought around the Mountain Barn area, but she never ran that far?

She would def have to leave by 4 pm at the latest. It's about 20 miles from her house to the bus station in downtown Worcester. You can go through Holden or take 140 to 190 but either way it's a solid 30 minute drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans