MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, they do? So he is definitely not the NYC killer then? Thank you for the info! ( and everyone's patience). It seems so unlikely that s local sexual predator could be the one because usually they escalate from little crimes like flashing and up the ladder to homocide, don't they? In which case a local man would have a record? I realize if he started thirty years ago they would not have his DNA on file but if he did start thirty years ago he'd be too old to fit the profile of this attack, I'm assuming. Plus if he was a local boy who did progress but was never arrested, wouldn't a small town know him thru the gossip grapevine?

Glad to have you here! Just to note, unlike many states, NY has no backlog of rape cases waiting to be placed into CODIS - so if perp raped in NY, he'd be in the system....
Good point about escalation of crime.... hope LE has gone thru all their old reports of complaints from women and young girls being approached by men.. Also, reports of cruelty to animals.. For what it's worth, been surprised there hasn't been more of an outpouring from Google about her.... Regarding gossip, it's tricky, as in the case of Holly Bobo, where it took so long for arrests in her small rural town, and one who was arrested had a long history with LE...

The location honestly just doesn't make sense for that kind of crime.
The location of Princeton honestly doesn't make sense for that type of a crime, but it happened.
I think at this point in time, it is fair to be open to any possibility. I think Zosos' comment is as val
id as any, thus far.

I didn't mean like a catcalling construction worker on a NY street, I was more thinking a creep in a car, slowing down, arm out the window. Said something, didn't like her uninterested response. This then became a stalking situation where the perp possibly parked at Mt. Barn and ran to the path or it happened right at the cart path. He pulled over and ran after her. This is just me trying to make sense of how seemingly impulsive, unthinking and violent this crime was in broad daylight. No attempt to hide the body. This all happened fast imo.

I still kind of think the electric company or mt barn plays a role in this.

Also, I think the perp returned after the fact and did all the burning...so to commit the crime, have access to torch or accelerant, return to scene, I'm thinking he may have had a vehicle at mt. Barn or electric company or live locally. No way the car was parked on the path inlet and he was going back and forth. There would have been witnesses.
Something to consider. If the perp did have something to do with the light company, remember,The light company is closed on sunday, and if this was someone that knew her routine, he would have had to be watching her from someplace else as it was her routine to jog/walk on sunday before returning to NY.

Sorry! I'm using my phone and not great at computers,clearly. By bright: I meant to have the foresight to burn DNA off of her. Did he succeed, incidentally? Is there none? I mean bright as in clever,intelligent. By burning: I was referring g to him burning her. Neither related to NYC . NYC was referring to: I don't think a stalker from NYC would go to Princeton to ambush het for the reasons I mentioned.
Thank you for the post. I understood you perfectly the first time.

They do have his DNA, the DA said that in a presser. I agree that it seems doubtful a stalker followed her from NY to ambush her in Princeton.

Welcome!!
Unless I missed something, I don't remember the DA saying that they had DNA. What I do remember him saying is that it was a male. That leads me to believe they may have DNA, but it could also mean that they have other evidence that only a male would have, like a male ring for example.

Something to consider. If the perp did have something to do with the light company, remember,The light company is closed on sunday, and if this was someone that knew her routine, he would have had to be watching her from someplace else as it was her routine to jog/walk on sunday before returning to NY.

I'm just thinking out loud and not specifically accusing an employee (I don't know any) but if a guy were to have a key (even if not) and had parked in the back, he would have a "home base" offering the source of fire, a place to park, an advantage of using the as the crow flies mobility through the woods. He could have spotted her anywhere on the loop, even right as she left her mom's and used the Light Co, fitting in the timeline IMO. BTW people seem very sharp on this board. Kudos.

A couple of random thoughts:
I don't think she was going to MA because of a guy. Instead, I wonder if her living situation in NYC wasn't ideal. Even with a decent job, living in Manhattan is tough. I assume she had at least one roommate and a very small apartment. She could get some space and air in Princeton. Or perhaps her roommate started dating someone and wasn't available for socializing on weekends. Or maybe she just wasn't a city girl.

Snipped by me.

I've been thinking about her recent (Dec 2015, IRRC) diagnosis with Crohn's disease. I have a young female friend who was recently diagnosed with this disease as well, so I'm using her experience to guess how Vanessa might be feeling about. Total speculation, to be sure.

Crohn's disease can be quite difficult to deal with - and might include months of discomfort and problems with the digestive system. With my young friend, she was not socializing much at all because she felt terrible. With digestive problems, you might not feel like being intimate or romantic with someone, unless it was a long-term boyfriend who was already there through the thick and thin of it - and that type of person would be known by her parents. Finding a new boyfriend while in intestinal pain might not have been her priority, and it doesn't seem like it was. Diagnosis could have involved some hospital stays and at least doctor visits which would take time - and the person to likely be with you during those times would be your family. A person is likely to lean on family, more than be into the dating scene.

This isn't to say people with Crohn's don't socialize and date - please don't jump on me about that. Vanessa was especially beautiful, had a great job, and seems like an energetic involved person. I just don't think that this summer, she was dating anyone seriously....or secretly.

Speculation only, jmopinon with what we know now.

Why would a NYC residents DNA be "bright and burning" compared to a local? That makes no sense to me. DNA is DNA if it's not in the system it's not gonna be burning any brighter (whatever that even means). If the perp was from NYC it doesn't mean his DNA was in the system.

Also the location is just too random for someone to happen to just come across her.

I do not in any capacity think this was random crime and I don't think the police feel it is either.

I think there silence is to protect the integrity of the investigation they do have, and I think they don't feel the public is at risk because they haven't continued to ask for vigilance or caution....I think because they know it was random is why they know there isn't a continued risk for the public.

In Early's last public appearance he specifically said "we are working hard to seek justice for Ms Marcotte" rather then something like we are working diligently to find this monster.

Seems to me like they already have a strong POI but that POI has a lot protecting them and it makes LE have to be much more precise with crossing their t's and sitting there i's.
I wouldn't expect LE to continually remind people to use caution. What I would expect is that if there was a reason to no longer be concerned, they would announce that. The way I see it, nothing has changed in that regard.
As far as LE being reluctant to question/arrest someone because they may have money makes no sense to me. I think that OJ Simpson would agree.

Glad to have you here! Just to note, unlike many states, NY has no backlog of rape cases waiting to be placed into CODIS - so if perp raped in NY, he'd be in the system....
Good point about escalation of crime.... hope LE has gone thru all their old reports of complaints from women and young girls being approached by men.. Also, reports of cruelty to animals.. For what it's worth, been surprised there hasn't been more of an outpouring from Google about her.... Regarding gossip, it's tricky, as in the case of Holly Bobo, where it took so long for arrests in her small rural town, and one who was arrested had a long history with LE...

Just FYI but even if he rapped in NYC and even if the victim had a rape kit done, it only goes into the database IF the victim files charges.

Unless I missed something, I don't remember the DA saying that they had DNA. What I do remember him saying is that it was a male. That leads me to believe they may have DNA, but it could also mean that they have other evidence that only a male would have, like a male ring for example.
They have to do a lot better than clothing or items a perp might have left at a crime scene, to determine the gender of a poi. It might suggest it was a male, if they found a male ring, but that does not stand as evidence in a court of law. They have to have dna, or bodily fluids from a male. Irrefutable evidence, not a suspicion.

The location of Princeton honestly doesn't make sense for that type of a crime, but it happened.
I think at this point in time, it is fair to be open to any possibility. I think Zosos' comment is as val
id as any, thus far.

What is your point?

When they come out and say he's male, and to look for a male with scratches....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they pulled male DNA from under her fingernails. .... I know we don't have "proof" but this seems like a pretty darn good assumption.

This article states it was a man:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/08/vanessa_marcotte_press_confere.html
-------
This article states quote: "After her death, Marcotte's body was burned. This action speaks to the killer's mindset after the crime was committed, Kirby said. "She fought him and they struggled. He had to know she had his DNA."If he previously committed a crime, his DNA would be in the system and would lead investigators to him. The flames could destroy such evidence, though it is not believed to have achieved the killer's goal as her body was not entirely burned.
http://www.masslive.com/news/worces.../fbi_profiler_on_vanessa_marcotte_killer.html
-------
this article states quote:

PRINCETON – WCVB-TV is reporting that DNA samples from a "possible person of interest" have been submitted in the Vanessa Marcotte homicide investigation.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2016/08/report_dna_samples_being_teste.html

i think it is safe to conclude that the police have DNA from the perp or they wouldn't be swabbing POIs...JMO, of course...

Snipped by me.

I've been thinking about her recent (Dec 2015, IRRC) diagnosis with Crohn's disease. I have a young female friend who was recently diagnosed with this disease as well, so I'm using her experience to guess how Vanessa might be feeling about. Total speculation, to be sure.

Crohn's disease can be quite difficult to deal with - and might include months of discomfort and problems with the digestive system. With my young friend, she was not socializing much at all because she felt terrible. With digestive problems, you might not feel like being intimate or romantic with someone, unless it was a long-term boyfriend who was already there through the thick and thin of it - and that type of person would be known by her parents. Finding a new boyfriend while in intestinal pain might not have been her priority, and it doesn't seem like it was. Diagnosis could have involved some hospital stays and at least doctor visits which would take time - and the person to likely be with you during those times would be your family. A person is likely to lean on family, more than be into the dating scene.

This isn't to say people with Crohn's don't socialize and date - please don't jump on me about that. Vanessa was especially beautiful, had a great job, and seems like an energetic involved person. I just don't think that this summer, she was dating anyone seriously....or secretly.

Speculation only, jmopinon with what we know now.
Will spare you all the details but I can personally verify the horrible nature of crohn's...it makes a mess of your romantic life. Significant others find it hard to deal with, and it's nothing you want to share with a new romantic interest...

When they come out and say he's male, and to look for a male with scratches....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they pulled male DNA from under her fingernails. .... I know we don't have "proof" but this seems like a pretty darn good assumption.
I agree. Good assumption, as I stated. The Op stated that the DA said in a presser that they had DNA. That wasn't the case, so it is just an assumption at this point.

Just FYI but even if he rapped in NYC and even if the victim had a rape kit done, it only goes into the database IF the victim files charges.

Wait!!! You are saying that DNA collected from a dead victim Isnt entered into CODIS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or in a case where the person is either feared dead, or dead. Then the family can submit a reference sample of DNA to be added to the database.

It varies by state. In Massachusetts, in most cases, the DNA isn't entered into a central database until after the person is convicted. But that doesn't mean that local LE can't take and use samples. They just aren't kept permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7