MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewing the June 23rd Northboro and Westborough attempted abductions.

At the time of Vanessa's murder, these incidents seemed to me to be just coincidental to the murder. But after almost 6 months with no similar reported incidents, I'm wondering if perhaps there was a connection.

The details of the cases.

Thurs. June 23rd. 10:30am. A lone female jogger running a wooded stretch of road (Lyman Street) passed a man standing at a point where the road bridges over a railroad track. Shortly after she passed him, she realized that he was chasing after her. When she turned to confront him, he ran away toward Talbot road. She later recalled seeing a small dark car turn down talbot road.

That same day, While police were Investigating the incident, a second caller reported that she too was jogging that same day, alone near Chauncey Lake, near the area of the first incident. She ran by a small dark car parked along the road with its hood up. A short time later two males in this car pulled up beside her (some sources reported the car was circling her). She ran and was able to get away.

The northboro and Westborough incidents were apparently related (both occurred near the border between the two towns), and a composite of a suspect was generated. He was believed to be a Hispanic male approx 5'8". In his 30s.

Relevance to VM case?:

Consider:

Brazen attack during daylight hours

Lone female joggers in each of the 3 incidents

Lyman st jogger was along a wooded stretch of road. Presumably the Chauncey lake victim was in a similar area, though I can't find specific info

The scenes and VM's location are 28 miles apart- 40 mins drive.

All towns involved are relatively well-off, similar demographic. (Though Princeton is probably nicest)

Both the northboro/Westborough locations and the VM cart path are precisely 30 mins from Main Street Worcester.

Car reportedly involved in the crime

Bump (to see previous post about northborough and Westborough cases)

Maybe I'm just too old school for liberal Massachusetts. But when the race of a perpetrator is so anomalous to the setting of the crime as was true in this case, it's my personal belief that anyone who had any contact with anyone of Hispanic discent in Princeton or who knew of someone of Hispanic dissent who was in Princeton around the time of the crime should have At least made police aware of it. Maybe it doesn't seem like that big of a deal or it doesn't seem like that individual could be the murderer but guess what, nine times out of 10 it's someone no one suspected. Let the police figure it out.

I believe your frustration is misplaced. As pointed out by Madeline74, the description was not made public until late Feb. We now know that the witness described the suspect as "having tan skin" and "might be Hispanic." The witness also identified the dark SUV as being a Ford Escape. Although the prosecutor did not state when the witness came forward, I think it is safe to say it was soon after the crime.

Why was this information not released to the public in Aug or Sep? Given the dearth of Hispanic men in Princeton, I bet someone would have made the connection then. Especially if this guy is as creepy as suggested.

I am fully supportive of LE (my SO is one and I work in the field), but I sometimes wonder about the motives of elected DA's. I hate to say it, but I have a nagging feeling that the DA chose to withhold the description because of the heated political climate last summer/fall: he didn't want to feed into the frenzy.

I am all for the public supporting LE, but in this case LE (or the DA to be exact) did not give them the tools.

Not everybody is as "plugged in" as we are. It never ceases to amaze me how caught up many people are in their own little world. I can understand how people would not make that connection- particularly months after VM's murder. I don't think we should dwell on it.

You are correct on all accounts. Maybe it was the other guy's car. It was described as a small dark car. Wouldn't seem to indicate a Ford Escape. But based on the hood, a general likeness of sketch, and oddly a mega FedEx facility right at the northborough scene. I think we need to check mr Ortiz phone records for this day.
I

I wouldn't discount entirely because of the car discrepancy. The Escape is quite small for an SUV (especially in comparison to the huge SUVs and trucks everyone seems to drive in NE). Under pressure someone who isn't familiar with cars or who drives a Suburban could confuse it with a smaller car. The sketch resemblance and prox to the Fedex facility certainly make it worthwhile to look further at a possible connection.

I'd be willing to bet his phone records have been checked by now.
The day after VM was killed, during the very first press conference, a woman asked the DA if he thought these crimes were connected. I am sure LE has been wondering too.

Records take some time to come back - even with a subpoena - plus the defense attorney will fight tooth and nail to keep them from conducting a "fishing expedition."

Amen brother. And if he's a US citizen his English should be good enough ...

I agree. It's disgusting to think in today's day and age animals like the person who commited this crime can and do go free. If there were ever a case where vigilante justice is justified, it is in cases like this.

With all due respect, they didn't make the connection and that horse has been beaten Quote]

SeaRunner has been with this thread from the beginning and has added a number of valuable observations. I welcome her opinion. And I am sure that ForensicMass is happy that someone agreed with him.

To those of you who can read/post all day: please humor those of us who are just coming home and catching up. This has been a long time in coming..

End of soapbox.

You are 100% correct. She may have called it in!! People let's move on.

I noted one of the charges was assault with intent to rape, but there was no actual rape charge. My hope is she fought him and he wasn't able to rape her.

I share your hope too. She was viciously beaten by him. I wonder if he flew into a rage that she fought back so hard that his attempted rape escalated to murder. It's just sickening no matter how you look at it!

Moo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This photograph shows the area of the scene of the Northborough attempted abduction- Lyman street near the railroad tracks and Talbot Rd intersection. It also shows something else. Possibly coincidence , but possibly significant. That large building at the upper right? Yep. That's a huge FED EX Center ! Immediately adjacent to the crime scene.
f154d0cea9d5317af272d2736e8e70a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow- great find with the FedEx Center nearby!

With all due respect, they didn't make the connection and that horse has been beaten Quote]

SeaRunner has been with this thread from the beginning and has added a number of valuable observations. I welcome her opinion. And I am sure that ForensicMass is happy that someone agreed with him.

To those of you who can read/post all day: please humor those of us who are just coming home and catching up. This has been a long time in coming..

End of soapbox.

Fair enough. I do value your opinions it's just that we went in circles all afternoon and didn't want to repeat that, I feel it distracted. But if you want to carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Records take some time to come back - even with a subpoena - plus the defense attorney will fight tooth and nail to keep them from conducting a "fishing expedition."
I was thinking they may have checked to see if the same numbers may have matched the both cell towers during the investigation, before the arrest, trying to identify, and narrow down the search.
As far as the DA goes. I have had many thoughts about this, as well. Like it or not, Politics play a part, and DA Early, (like his father,) is a politician. That was very clear in the last press conference, when he spent most of the time thanking everyone.
I am certainly not taking anything away from him, because in the end, the guy was caught, however, I do agree that things could have been handled much faster.
One example.
Why did it take 6 months to get the results from Parabon?
It makes me wonder if it had anything to do with the DA's office losing the case about the Dentist that murdered his wife in Princeton.
I look at the dates, and wonder. The case was lost at the end of January, and oddly enough, less than 3 weeks later the DNA results came back from Parabon.
I wonder if the pressure was on, and the samples were not sent until after losing the case.
Again, not pointing any fingers, or blaming anyone, and I am not saying that was what happened, but since you were thinking along the same lines, I thought I'd share my thoughts.

If you were to pick one, which would it be?

Did Vanessa visit her mother regularly on summer weekends? If so I think he definitely planned to intercept her.
Moo

And now the defense lawyer is already preparing to get the DNA evidence thrown out on the assumption that the perp didn't understand what the LEO was asking for when he got the buccal swab. Already!
I've heard all the arguments for having defense lawyers, but I cannot fathom a defense lawyer who would KNOW from DNA evidence that the killer is guilty and STILL tries his darnedest to get the killer set free. How do these people sleep at night? I'll tell you how - they've never been the victim of a violent crime. That's how.
It's one thing to defend innocence. It's inexcusable to defend evil so it can continue.

Ditto that!

End of soapbox.

Thanks femalejogger! Well said! Here here

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. this person had information. She was WELL AWARE of the crime to the point that she changed her entire life because of it. She knows of a creepy guy fitting the subject discription and says NOTHING? I would keep shaking my head but It actually just fell off.

Do you think she may have embellished or exaggerated her story and why she left purely for the media?
Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads