GUILTY MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #8 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey Rocky what can we expect at the next court hearing?
The next step is a "Status/Pretrial Conference," in which both the Prosecution and Defense meet for a short conference with a Judge, and give the Status of how things are moving along with "Discovery" (evidence, requests for evidence between both parties, or if a particular witness will be available to testify for example, subpoenas, expected time frame for the trial etc.)
No evidence is submitted, it's just a conference.
AO will be allowed to attend.
That will be followed by a Pre Trial Hearing. AO will be allowed to attend that too.

Rule 11.
http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/rules-of-court/criminal-procedure/crim11.html

I believe the Status Conference is going to take place on Aug 24th, if I am not mistaken.
You can watch this video and you will hear AO's Attorney discussing the conference.
http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/07/angelo_colon-ortiz_maintains_h.html

I don't expect us to hear much about this case until Jury Selection, when we will know more on the trial date etc, unless AO changes his plea to guilty.

In reply to the boyfriend thing wasn't there talk in the threads about a guy she had been seeing who was out of the country then? Cause I'm pretty sure I saw people discuss if he had been looked at. I just know some guy was talked about here but don't remember if it was a bf an ex or a casual thing.

Every time I try to reply in a quote this site freezes so I had to do so in a non quote, but yes I agree if there isn't one then that means others mentioned it and made it seem that way.

In reply to the boyfriend thing wasn't there talk in the threads about a guy she had been seeing who was out of the country then? Cause I'm pretty sure I saw people discuss if he had been looked at. I just know some guy was talked about here but don't remember if it was a bf an ex or a casual thing.

Every time I try to reply in a quote this site freezes so I had to do so in a non quote, but yes I agree if there isn't one then that means others mentioned it and made it seem that way.
Yes, you are right.
Very early on,I believe it was either the day after the murder, or the next day, there was a bogus news report about Vanessa having a boyfriend that was out of the country. If I am not mistaken it was said he was in Australia.

I don't expect us to hear much about this case until Jury Selection, when we will know more on the trial date etc, unless AO changes his plea to guilty.

Hey Rock you don't think there's a chance he actually changes his plea do you? There is no chance the DA accepts anything short of first degree murder correct? Any guess as to trial date and length of trial?

Hey Rock you don't think there's a chance he actually changes his plea do you? There is no chance the DA accepts anything short of first degree murder correct? Any guess as to trial date and length of trial?

I wouldn't think the Marcotte family would settle for anything but first degree. I believe such decisions to accept/consider any plea deals are made in coordination with the victim's family. Rocky would know for sure most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those are hard questions to answer.
There is always a chance that if AO is guilty, he may change his plea to guilty to spare the family and the courts the time and grief of a trial, although I see no benefit in that with the exception to make himself appear to have a heart, and a conscience. I won't plan on it.
There really are no bargaining chips to speak of that we know of at the moment, although the Prosecution still has to prove their case.
For example, If Vanessa's body was missing, the State may plea bargain if the defendant agrees to reveal the location of the body in exchange for a lighter sentence.
Massachusetts has no death penalty, so it would not be beneficial for a defendant to change a plea to guilty in exchange for a life sentence, instead of a death sentence.
Sometimes Prosecutors will overcharge a Defendant with many charges in which there is less evidence, and then try to get a defendant to plea bargain in agreement to drop some of the charges.
A.O. has been charged with a single count of Felony Murder.
The Defendant is looking at life without parole, if convicted.
On the Defense side, the Discovery process has just begun. If the Defense Lawyer filed a "Brady Motion," (which I'd bet my house he did) That means the Prosecution has to also produce any evidence that may Reveal AO's innocence.
For example, let's say the cop that took AO's DNA said AO volunteered his DNA freely and spoke in perfect English. If that cop had any history of lying while on the job, that has to be disclosed.
Let's say the State Police used Parabon Snapshot and after the DNA was processed, they sent the results back, and the picture generated looks nothing at all like A.O. That has to be disclosed.
Let's say the DNA sample was taken illegally. In a "Motion To Suppress,"(at the Pre Trial Hearing) the Judge may not allow the DNA evidence to be used at All.
I am not saying that this will/has happened, but in general, these are things that may weaken the Prosecutions case and may make them decide to offer a plea deal.

No Idea when the trial will take place. It could be a year or more. It is in the best interest of the Defense to drag it out as long as possible, because people/witnesses forget over time.
The same goes for the length of the trial. I am not sure. A lot depends on how many witnesses and experts will testify and how much evidence will be produced. Could be a week or it could be two months.

I wouldn't think the Marcotte family would settle for anything but first degree. I believe such decisions to accept/consider any plea deals are made in coordination with the victim's family. Rocky would know for sure most likely.

The Marcotte Family can not veto a Plea Bargain Agreement.
Plea Bargain Agreements don't have to be offered, or accepted.
They are decided between both parties. The Judge can accept or reject. The D.A. must discuss the agreement, with the victim or in this case the victims family, and the victims family can issue an impact statement that the Judge will take into consideration before the ruling.

Rule 12
http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/rules-of-court/criminal-procedure/crim12.html

Section 3 (Victims rights)
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIII/TitleIV/Chapter258B/Section3

Here's a PDF.
Chapter 3 page 38 and 39 (Victim Bill Of Rights)
http://www.mass.gov/mova/docs/aftermath-of-crime.pdf

Thanks again Rock for the info! Care to speculate on how the attacks in Northboro and Westboro might be playing out? Do you think those charges could be pending or do you think police do not have enough evidence to tie AO to those attacks? If they did would we have heard by now?

Thanks again Rock for the info! Care to speculate on how the attacks in Northboro and Westboro might be playing out? Do you think those charges could be pending or do you think police do not have enough evidence to tie AO to those attacks? If they did would we have heard by now?
It's hard for me to speculate what is going on there.
If you go back a page to post #298, I posted a few thoughts of mine on that subject.

Importance of women carrying pepper spray, a stun gun, etc.

This may seem OT, but it seems like it could be very related to Vanessa's case.

I'd guess many of you have read about the gruesome story of Kim Wall, the Swedish journalist who it appears was killed by a well-known Danish inventor aboard his submarine. While there is a possibility it could have been an accident that he unwisely (the understatement of the year) tried to cover up, it appears more likely that he killed her. Two reasons are being bandied about: 1. He made advances and she rebuffed him and he went berserk (there is no shortage of narcissistic men who don't take romantic rejection well); or 2. Something she was going to write set him off. Folks who have dealt with him are saying that he’s quite volatile in general and particularly s in such circumstances. (Though I'd doubt that she'd tell him if she was going to write something not so flattering, especially while alone with him. Besides, most journalist don’t work that way – one needs to let things saunter…)

Anyway, the common denominator with what happened with Vanessa (and WAY too many other women): A woman alone with a male stranger in a remote area ends up dead. Again, we can't be sure what happened with Kim yet -- and we may not ever know. The bottom line is that women should always carry something like pepper spray or a stun gun on them when they will be or could be in a remote area. Having a weapon *might* have saved them both. Having a weapon plus being more aware that there are bad men even in nice areas would *probably* have saved Vanessa, IMO.

I hope all of you woman will make sure to carry something on you whenever you expect to be in a remote area (or any area for that matter, it's as easy as pie to slip pepper spray into one's pant pocket, jacket pocket, or pocketbook). For the men out there, I hope you will encourage your female relatives and friends to do the same -- heck, buy it for them -- it's the best $10-$15 you could spend on someone you care about.

AO might have gotten me, too, when I was in my 20s -- at least my young 20s/college aged. However, soon after that, his charade would not have worked with me. At some point, I began turning around when I see a man -- any man -- I do not recognize ahead on my running/walking path when there is nobody else around. (Same holds true of a two men together.) I'd also have my pepper spray – now in my hand -- in case he started after me as I turned around. This isn't to blame Vanessa at all. I, too, was a very bright 20-something who worked in a big city, etc., and didn’t have pepper spray until I was 27ish. (A thoughtful male colleague bought one for me and the other young women who worked in his department within a skyscraper in a big city, as there was a series of rapes of young women in parking garages in the very nice area of the city where I worked. Some of them occurred in broad daylight, if I recall.) Moreover, I didn’t carry my mace with me while running until sometime after that. With age comes the realization that a woman must consider any teen/adult male stranger in a remote area a potential attacker if she wants to be safe. Unfortunately, this becomes more clear with age, but younger women are those ones most in need of this message because attackers usually target younger women.

I hope all of you will teach this lesson to your daughters, sisters, etc. This is a lesson that can be taught without scaring them. Realizing this truth doesn't make one feel like a potential victim. Quite the contrary, it feels empowering to have pepper spray (or something that helps equalize or at least narrow the strength differential between men and women) on you. At least, that’s how I feel and I’ve heard from other women who carry pepper spray or a stun gun on them at times that they feel the same way.

Yes, this is a topic I feel passionate about because at least some of the horrendous crimes against women could be prevented or at least lessened in severity.

Importance of women carrying pepper spray, a stun gun, etc.

This may seem OT, but it seems like it could be very related to Vanessa's case.

I'd guess many of you have read about the gruesome story of Kim Wall, the Swedish journalist who it appears was killed by a well-known Danish inventor aboard his submarine. While there is a possibility it could have been an accident that he unwisely (the understatement of the year) tried to cover up, it appears more likely that he killed her. Two reasons are being bandied about: 1. He made advances and she rebuffed him and he went berserk (there is no shortage of narcissistic men who don't take romantic rejection well); or 2. Something she was going to write set him off. Folks who have dealt with him are saying that he’s quite volatile in general and particularly s in such circumstances. (Though I'd doubt that she'd tell him if she was going to write something not so flattering, especially while alone with him. Besides, most journalist don’t work that way – one needs to let things saunter…)

Anyway, the common denominator with what happened with Vanessa (and WAY too many other women): A woman alone with a male stranger in a remote area ends up dead. Again, we can't be sure what happened with Kim yet -- and we may not ever know. The bottom line is that women should always carry something like pepper spray or a stun gun on them when they will be or could be in a remote area. Having a weapon *might* have saved them both. Having a weapon plus being more aware that there are bad men even in nice areas would *probably* have saved Vanessa, IMO.

I hope all of you woman will make sure to carry something on you whenever you expect to be in a remote area (or any area for that matter, it's as easy as pie to slip pepper spray into one's pant pocket, jacket pocket, or pocketbook). For the men out there, I hope you will encourage your female relatives and friends to do the same -- heck, buy it for them -- it's the best $10-$15 you could spend on someone you care about.

AO might have gotten me, too, when I was in my 20s -- at least my young 20s/college aged. However, soon after that, his charade would not have worked with me. At some point, I began turning around when I see a man -- any man -- I do not recognize ahead on my running/walking path when there is nobody else around. (Same holds true of a two men together.) I'd also have my pepper spray – now in my hand -- in case he started after me as I turned around. This isn't to blame Vanessa at all. I, too, was a very bright 20-something who worked in a big city, etc., and didn’t have pepper spray until I was 27ish. (A thoughtful male colleague bought one for me and the other young women who worked in his department within a skyscraper in a big city, as there was a series of rapes of young women in parking garages in the very nice area of the city where I worked. Some of them occurred in broad daylight, if I recall.) Moreover, I didn’t carry my mace with me while running until sometime after that. With age comes the realization that a woman must consider any teen/adult male stranger in a remote area a potential attacker if she wants to be safe. Unfortunately, this becomes more clear with age, but younger women are those ones most in need of this message because attackers usually target younger women.

I hope all of you will teach this lesson to your daughters, sisters, etc. This is a lesson that can be taught without scaring them. Realizing this truth doesn't make one feel like a potential victim. Quite the contrary, it feels empowering to have pepper spray (or something that helps equalize or at least narrow the strength differential between men and women) on you. At least, that’s how I feel and I’ve heard from other women who carry pepper spray or a stun gun on them at times that they feel the same way.

Yes, this is a topic I feel passionate about because at least some of the horrendous crimes against women could be prevented or at least lessened in severity.

I need to buy more because idk what happened to mine. I know I hid it from my bestfriend after she sprayed it in the air drunk but I could or sworn I gave t to a bestfriend for safety. When I go pick dandelions for our hens around the corner from my house I keep my phone in hand so I can film and photograph anyone suspicious by thankfully only ppl asking what I'm picking and a neighbor or two ever stop their car to talk to me or walk by. But last wknd my bestfriend and me were waiting outside a bar alone at 3am for our cab and I had dealt with a lot of creepy Mexican men that night cause of an event and first done drive last slowly and snilevat me and then someone in all black with some sort of black ninja mask type thing covering their face on a bike hlating Mexican music goes by us and tried to do some bad tricks and then turns around and makes t so we can see his eyes but keeps doing said bad tricks and driving around the middle of the road. It was clear he was getting off on trying to creep out two ppl at 3am and he gave lfda scary vibe so since my bestfriend had sobered up we decided to drive and since we were parked close and still being harassed I yelled you're not cool and to get hit by s car and he ran into something giving us the finger. Normally I wouldn't do that but we were about to get in the car and I was beyond annoyed. I had recorded him but since it's dark and he's all in black it was useless cause he never said a word or showed his face

I really hope we find more out about this case as the stuff goes on, cause I'm very curious if they've pegged him for any other crimes yet. Cause I don't think it's his first at all. And what's awful is I know ppl not familiar with the case could read the articles about possibly not speaking English and stuff we know isn't true and think maybe he's innocent. Because my mom saw one article I left open about the case that mentioned some doubt about his guilt and because she has forgot about the case details she seemed like she thought maybe he could be innocent. So I hope ppl aren't reading things and thinking he's being framed.

I need to buy more because idk what happened to mine. I know I hid it from my bestfriend after she sprayed it in the air drunk but I could or sworn I gave t to a bestfriend for safety. When I go pick dandelions for our hens around the corner from my house I keep my phone in hand so I can film and photograph anyone suspicious by thankfully only ppl asking what I'm picking and a neighbor or two ever stop their car to talk to me or walk by. But last wknd my bestfriend and me were waiting outside a bar alone at 3am for our cab and I had dealt with a lot of creepy Mexican men that night cause of an event and first done drive last slowly and snilevat me and then someone in all black with some sort of black ninja mask type thing covering their face on a bike hlating Mexican music goes by us and tried to do some bad tricks and then turns around and makes t so we can see his eyes but keeps doing said bad tricks and driving around the middle of the road. It was clear he was getting off on trying to creep out two ppl at 3am and he gave lfda scary vibe so since my bestfriend had sobered up we decided to drive and since we were parked close and still being harassed I yelled you're not cool and to get hit by s car and he ran into something giving us the finger. Normally I wouldn't do that but we were about to get in the car and I was beyond annoyed. I had recorded him but since it's dark and he's all in black it was useless cause he never said a word or showed his face

Whew! Hope he had Triple-A :)

http://www.telegram.com/news/201709...ay-of-slaying-victims-clothes-tested-positive

more at link

WORCESTER – An hour and fifteen minutes after Vanessa T. Marcotte set out for the Aug. 7, 2016, run in Princeton from which she never returned, $5 of gas was purchased with a credit card in the name of the man accused of murdering her and partially burning her body, court records show.

According to a police affidavit on file in Central District Court, a credit card belonging to “Angelo Colon” was used to purchase the gas at 2:35 p.m. at Saveway Convenience in Rutland, a 10-minute drive from where Ms. Marcotte’s partially burned body was found on Brooks Station Road in Princeton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.telegram.com/news/201709...ay-of-slaying-victims-clothes-tested-positive

more at link

WORCESTER – An hour and fifteen minutes after Vanessa T. Marcotte set out for the Aug. 7, 2016, run in Princeton from which she never returned, $5 of gas was purchased with a credit card in the name of the man accused of murdering her and partially burning her body, court records show.

According to a police affidavit on file in Central District Court, a credit card belonging to “Angelo Colon” was used to purchase the gas at 2:35 p.m. at Saveway Convenience in Rutland, a 10-minute drive from where Ms. Marcotte’s partially burned body was found on Brooks Station Road in Princeton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, WeepingAngel for finding this story. From the link:

"Preliminary observations indicate that there is a secondary crime scene where the assault and or murder most likely occurred,” Massachusetts State Trooper Robert D. Parr wrote in his 10-page affidavit."

If VM left home to run at 1:15 and her killer was purchasing gasoline at 2:35pm, where was VM during that time? This has thrown a curveball at how I assumed the crime occurred. Was she in his car when he bought the gas? Where is the secondary crime scene? Did he leave her in the woods to go purchase gas and return to the scene? Where did the murder occur if not in the woods where she was discovered?

Any chance of us obtaining the 10 page document? Rocky, or anyone, do you know how to go about obtaining the affidavit? Or has it been sealed?

Why would her feet test positive for DEET?
DEET is a slightly yellow oil intended to be applied to the skin or to clothing, and provides protection against mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, chiggers, leeches, and many biting insects.

Thank you, WeepingAngel for finding this story. From the link:

"Preliminary observations indicate that there is a secondary crime scene where the assault and or murder most likely occurred,” Massachusetts State Trooper Robert D. Parr wrote in his 10-page affidavit."

If VM left home to run at 1:15 and her killer was purchasing gasoline at 2:35pm, where was VM during that time? This has thrown a curveball at how I assumed the crime occurred. Was she in his car when he bought the gas? Where is the secondary crime scene? Did he leave her in the woods to go purchase gas and return to the scene? Where did the murder occur if not in the woods where she was discovered?

Any chance of us obtaining the 10 page document? Rocky, or anyone, do you know how to go about obtaining the affidavit? Or has it been sealed?

He use Deet to burn her feet.Deet is highly flammable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back