Madeleine McCann 3 year old missing in Portugal - Part 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to websleuths Ireland! I appreciate your opinion and insight. (Hoping that now maybe people will move on from that part of the discussion)

Many thanks MissieMt. Unfortunately that part of the discussion is becoming even more vocal now this side of the world, it seems like people were initially reluctant to criticise the parents but feel freer to do so now. The BBC's main political/current affairs discussion show was on tonight and someone in the audience made the point that if the parents were on welfare, rather than being doctors, and had left their children as the McCanns did, they would have been much more harshly dealt with by the media. Perhaps. At least half the audience applauded him enthusiastically.

Any way, just to update you all, this is the main story in tomorrow's UK Telegraph:

Madeleine suspect 'wanted hire car in a hurry'

Police were last night investigating claims that Robert Murat hired a car two days before he was questioned as the "main suspect" in the abduction of Madeleine McCann.

It was claimed that Mr Murat telephoned a Praia da Luz hire company just after noon on Saturday and ordered a vehicle "in a hurry". Mr Murat has revealed he knew he was being followed by undercover officers at that time.

Mario Rocio, an assistant at Auto Rent III, claimed he was acting suspiciously. She said: "There was something in his voice. I thought he needed a car in a hurry."

Mr Murat said he wanted to hire a car because his own was being used to help in searches for "the missing little girl". The Hyundai, which was still in his drive when he was arrested on Monday, was searched along with a green Volkswagen van.

Claims were made yesterday in a Portuguese newspaper that home-made video tapes of a "disturbing sexual nature" were found at Mr Murat's villa.

A spokesman for Mr Murat said the graphic allegations were "disappointing". Tuck Price, a friend of the British expatriate, denied the claims and said that police were "clutching at straws".

Mr Murat's elderly mother, Jennifer, was interviewed by police yesterday to stand up her son's alibi. Mr Murat, 33, said he was with her on the night Madeleine disappeared a fortnight ago.

What's all this I heard on TV about a secret room being searched in the house of the main suspect?

What's all this I heard on TV about a secret room being searched in the house of the main suspect?
Yes, I hears something about a chamber. Anyone have any relevent info regarding the search that was conducted...

Yes, I hears something about a chamber. Anyone have any relevent info regarding the search that was conducted...

here's a link. Sorry if it's already been posted:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21749250-2,00.html

FORENSIC experts yesterday searched a secret chamber under the villa of a British man suspected of abducting missing toddler Madeleine McCann.
They entered the room by a hidden trap-door in the loungeroom floor of main suspect Robert Murat's home in Portugal.
Retired builder Des Taylor, 78, who once owned the villa in which Mr Murat lives with his mother Jenny, 71, tipped-off police about a trap-door leading to a secret chamber under the loungeroom.
"There is a square hole in the living room with a concrete slab that can be lifted up," he said.
Mr Murat is the only formal suspect in the case and continued to declare his innocence through family members yesterday.
(more at link)

Whoever has that little girl...if they are still in that area...probably knows that he will never be able to get her out of there. I just hope and pray that he doesn't become so frightened that he decides to get rid of her...bury her somewhere in hopes that she won't be found and that he won't get caught.
This really worrys me because this case isn't going to die down and the kidnapper has to know that by now.

Well, we know now that the neighbor man who is a suspect didn't have a chamber built under the frontroom of his villa. It was there when he bought the villa. If he has that little girl I wonder where he would have her? Did he show up to "help" the McCanns right after Maddie went missing? I wonder what time span he would have had to do something with her? I hope LE isn't just focusing on him because there is the chance that he had nothing to do with her abduction. The longer this goes on the less likely LE are to find Maddie still alive. They say that the first 48 hours are the most important.

Ireland 07...thank you for a very helpful and informative first post. Welcome to WS. Sorry it had to be on such a sad day for all of us.

Also, please don't flame me for my abysmal knowledge of history, but is there any reason for a house to have a secret room under the floor? Is it a really old house? Perhaps a leftover from WWII? Maybe it's really just an old basement with unusual doors. I wonder how much the media is making of this and how much is true. Is the *advertiser censored* really "disturbing" or just plain old *advertiser censored*?

And where is Maddie???

Also, please don't flame me for my abysmal knowledge of history, but is there any reason for a house to have a secret room under the floor? Is it a really old house? Perhaps a leftover from WWII? Maybe it's really just an old basement with unusual doors. I wonder how much the media is making of this and how much is true. Is the *advertiser censored* really "disturbing" or just plain old *advertiser censored*?

And where is Maddie???

Hi angelmom, thank you for the welcome!

I read an interview with the man who designed the house owned by Robert Murat and he explained that it had a large chamber simply because it was built on a hill-side, so I suppose because it was built on a slope it had to have a large space under the ground floor. I don't think there's any more to it than that.

I'm really not sure what to make about the mentions of *advertiser censored* in the media. So much of what has been written about Murat and the Russian guy has proved to be absolutely false, so I'm inclined not to believe any of it any more, until there's proof.

I was so sure a few days ago that the Portuguese police were getting close and that an arrest might have been made by now, but nothing. If Murat is somehow involved then there is no doubt that his return to England for a few days last week are key to this. Did he use his own daughter's passport to get Maddy out of Portugal? I don't know, maybe this guy is 100% innocent. The pain goes on.

50m visitors to Maddie website

From JOHN ASKILL
in Praia da Luz
May 18, 2007

AN incredible 50MILLION people have visited a website set up to help find Maddie McCann.

It has also been confirmed a video of missing Madeleine will be played at the FA Cup Final tomorrow.
A spokesman for the FA said the two-minute film, Find Madeleine, would be shown to fans on the big screens at Wembley Stadium during the match between Manchester United and Chelsea, probably before kick off and again at half-time. The DVD - which has the soundtrack of the Simple Minds hit Don't You Forget About Me - was earlier screened at the Uefa Cup final between Sevilla and Espanyol in Glasgow on Wednesday.

The boost came as it emerged that suspect Robert Murat ordered a hire car in a rush — two days before cops quizzed him about the missing tot.

Briton Murat, 33, claimed Maddie’s parents Kate and Gerry, both 38, needed to borrow his car last Saturday to put posters on it.
But they ALREADY had a hire car.
Rental firm manager Maria Rocio said Murat rang up saying he needed a car in a rush and was not prepared to wait.
Maria — of Auto Rent111 office in Praia da Luz, Portugal, where Maddie, four, disappeared a fortnight ago — said: “I didn’t understand why he wanted another car when he had one already. I’ve been to the police and told them all about it.”
She added: “I could tell by his voice he was in a real hurry.
“He wanted it then and there. It was lunchtime last Saturday and Madeleine had already been missing for eight days.
“I told him he’d have to wait until 3pm because we were just closing for lunch.

“He said ‘Can I come down now?’ He said the English couple looking for the little girl needed his car to put posters on it.”
Murat — who had been acting as a translator for the McCann family — picked up the white Hyundai Getz car at 5.17pm and paid 80 euros for three days hire.
He gave his address in Hockering, Norfolk, rather than in the Algarve resort, but listed his local mobile number.
It also emerged yesterday Murat, who has denied any involvement in Maddie’s disappearance from a holiday villa, had two cars of his own.
Detectives named him as a “suspect” in the case.
Murat’s mother Jennifer, 71, returned the car on Tuesday.

Police are checking the mileage.
Last night one-eyed Murat was still holed up in his mum’s £500,000 villa 100 yards from where Maddie was snatched on May 3.
Jennifer was briefly taken in for questioning as police asked her to verify his alibi.
A second suspect, Russian computer expert Serge Malinka, 22, last night denied any link to Maddie.
He said: “I don’t rape little kids.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007220775,00.html

And Maddies website

http://www.findmaddie.com/

Hi angelmom, thank you for the welcome!

I read an interview with the man who designed the house owned by Robert Murat and he explained that it had a large chamber simply because it was built on a hill-side, so I suppose because it was built on a slope it had to have a large space under the ground floor. I don't think there's any more to it than that.

Well that explains that. It sounded so ominous, but what a perfectly reasonable story. I would think if there were a trace of evidence of Maddie being down there, we'd have heard it by now.

I'm really not sure what to make about the mentions of *advertiser censored* in the media. So much of what has been written about Murat and the Russian guy has proved to be absolutely false, so I'm inclined not to believe any of it any more, until there's proof.

I agree. Who among us wouldn't be offering to help if a child disappeared in our neighborhood? And if we had a child the same age or reminded us of her in some way, had a skill that might be helpful (being bilingual, perhaps), wouldn't we say so? It could cut both ways.

I was so sure a few days ago that the Portuguese police were getting close and that an arrest might have been made by now, but nothing. If Murat is somehow involved then there is no doubt that his return to England for a few days last week are key to this. Did he use his own daughter's passport to get Maddy out of Portugal? I don't know, maybe this guy is 100% innocent. The pain goes on.

Good question! I suppose the police have thought of this, and they could check to see if her passport is missing or has been used. Right?

He could be the guy or he very well might be innocent, in which case this has all been wasted time. Her parents must be wasting away with fear and grief. I don't even know her and it makes me ill.

50m visitors to Maddie website

From JOHN ASKILL
in Praia da Luz
May 18, 2007

Snipped...

"Last night one-eyed Murat was still holed up in his mum’s £500,000 villa 100 yards from where Maddie was snatched on May 3."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007220775,00.html

And Maddies website

http://www.findmaddie.com/

The article certainly makes him sound suspicious, but what do you suppose how many eyes he has has to do with anything?! Is it suppose to make him sound more deviant?

Maybe Murat's wife left him and took his child because he is a deviant. I hope police are questioning his ex.

Actually Murat's wife has come out in Murat's defense and is saying she has no doubt what-so-ever that he is innocent of any wrongdoing.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/cont...gory=news&itemid=NOED18 May 2007 18:36:29:813

I don't know if the ex-wife is being honest or not. If Murat is such a great guy and he loves children so much, why did they divorce? Wouldn't she want their daughter to have the benefit of her father in the home if he is such a decent and loving person? Why, if he loves children, did he not love his own daughter enough to at least live in the same country as his only child?

I suspect that Murat's UK visit right after Maddie disappeared was no coincidence. Maybe he needed to remind his ex-wife of some type of trouble he could cause for her if she failed to paint him in a good light when LE came around to speak with her.

Susan

I don't know if the ex-wife is being honest or not. If Murat is such a great guy and he loves children so much, why did they divorce?

Are you serious? so they should stay together just for the daughter? I am sorry but that came off way wrong to me..... Maybe they didn't LOVE each other any more..... :waitasec: or maybe they didn't get along.... it could be a million reasons for getting a divorce... it prolly has NOTHING to do with what kind of father he is or was!
Wouldn't she want their daughter to have the benefit of her father in the home if he is such a decent and loving person?
Not if he is an *advertiser censored* to her..... who knows why? maybe she didn't give a rats *advertiser censored* about him any longer.....

...but expecting the worst. Let this be a cautionary tale for all parents of young children. Never leave them alone.

I can't wait to see what kind of treatment this case will get when it appears as a fictionalized episode on Jane Tennyson, DCI, or Law and Order, SVU.

Just heard something on Greta about conversations between Murat and a Sergei (sp) guy. Missed most but the gist was a possibility of child kidnapping of international proportions. I hope someone heard more of this than me as it seemed evil.

Please report what was said if you were watching.

I don't know if the ex-wife is being honest or not. If Murat is such a great guy and he loves children so much, why did they divorce? Wouldn't she want their daughter to have the benefit of her father in the home if he is such a decent and loving person? Why, if he loves children, did he not love his own daughter enough to at least live in the same country as his only child?

My understanding, from reading the British press on this, is that they moved to Portugal but Murat's wife could not settle there, so she returned to England with their child. He stayed in Portugal because all his work commitments were there. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is it doesn't seem like an unusual reason for a couple to split. Unfortunate, but common enough.

I suspect that Murat's UK visit right after Maddie disappeared was no coincidence. Maybe he needed to remind his ex-wife of some type of trouble he could cause for her if she failed to paint him in a good light when LE came around to speak with her.

Possibly, but equally I would have thought if their relationship was poor and she had any information that could damage him she would be more inclined to pass it on to the police than keep it to herself. If any harm ever came to her after doing this Murat, surely, would be finished.

I would, though, love to know what explanation he gave the police for his trip back to England last week.

Just heard something on Greta about conversations between Murat and a Sergei (sp) guy. Missed most but the gist was a possibility of child kidnapping of international proportions. I hope someone heard more of this than me as it seemed evil.

Please report what was said if you were watching.

I didn't watch but this is speaking of the web page designer, acquaintance of Murat, whom is a Russian living in Portugal. He has been questioned this week too. He had done computer stuff for Murat in the past. Things are getting more hinky there because the web page designer originally told police that he hadn't talked to Murat in months, when LE got the Russian's cell phone records, it turns out he called Murat at 11:45 pm the night Maddie was taken. There are also rumors the Russian may have some type of sex offense in his past.

I didn't watch but this is speaking of the web page designer, acquaintance of Murat, whom is a Russian living in Portugal. He has been questioned this week too. He had done computer stuff for Murat in the past. Things are getting more hinky there because the web page designer originally told police that he hadn't talked to Murat in months, when LE got the Russian's cell phone records, it turns out he called Murat at 11:45 pm the night Maddie was taken. There are also rumors the Russian may have some type of sex offense in his past.

Thank you. That puts into perspective of what I heard (very little) and what I felt. I believe now Maddie is on the market and I hope they don't kill her because she is a news item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo