Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1330712007

Time is against us, say Madeleine police

5959-coaster2.gif
(just for you Cali)

Down we go......

Thanks colomom. :crazy:

This case is filled with more confusing and mismatched information than I have ever seen! I honestly don't know what to think anymore, and the only way for the Portugese LE to maintain any sort of respect at this point in time, is to solve this dang thing....correctly. If the case becomes like Jon Benet Ramsey's, it will go down in history as being the fault of the Portugese LE because of the "mishandling" in the beginning. The truth of the matter is we don't KNOW if it was mishandled because of their dang secrecy laws. Everything ends up being rumors and gossip, which is almost always sensational! One minute, they are convinced Madeleine has been taken by an international organized pedophile gang, the next minute they are going to be conducting "swoops" throught the area in Portugal, then, they are sure she is dead, but they have no hard evidence to base this one. Just yesterday, they cancelled the leave of most of LE because of imminent arrest. I am beginning to think everything I read is just sensational crap. :razz:
I agree Reannan. This sums it up perfectly for me!!!!

Actually, Colomom, you bring up a very good point. I also visit other forums, some very pro-McCann, and some very anti-McCann. One of the many things I love about this forum, is the fact that FACTS are sought and discussed. You can't help but deal with your emotions in a case like this, but by and large, we always get back to seeking the facts. Everyone's opinion is tolerated....even if it is questioned sometimes.:clap:

Actually, I think this case is advancing. New info is surfacing daily and the McCann's don't look so good in the realm of things. This isn't a quiet case it just includes international boundaries which makes it harder for us to decifer.

Concernedperson - I agree 100%. This case is really bigger than just Maddie as we all know. Not only has the media got the whole world watching, Portugal is trying to join the EU. Based on earlier reports, it appears that Britian has the ability to be either helpful or hurtful in Portugal's goal. So there are some heavy political issues at stake here.

Then there is the media war - Britian against Portugal. To date, it is my take that the Portugal reports, especially those from SOL and "the Daily Notice" (don't know how to spell it in Spanish) have been the most accurate in the long run and have provided the best sense of what is really happening in Portugal. The UK papers appear to be very biased in favor of the McCanns and while that is not necessarily bad, the bias has, in my opinion, affected their ability to be objective.

Reading between the lines of many of these articles, it is my opinion that PLE will not make a move that is not supported (read discovered) by the UK LE. Granted the UK has better technology and resources but I do believe the PLE is better at manipulation...... meaning that as long as they look like fools, the UK will help and eventually the UK will decide who the next suspects are. If they turn out to be the McCanns or their friends, then it will be the UK that has named them as suspects and not PLE. This will keep Portugal "safe" from any wrath handed down by the UK in Portugal's bid to join the EU.

And then - slightly off topic here, I would like to say that I really didn't appreciate the "blood-letting" comment directed at this thread. I don't think there is one of here that is going to jump for joy if it is discovered that the parents are involved in Maddie's disappearance, and I'm willing to bet that any tears that are shed by these posters if the parents are NOT involved will be tears of relief. I do believe we all understand that harm inflicted upon a child by a parent is the ultimate betrayal. Your spouse can cheat on you, your sister can steal your boyfriend, or your brother can steal your girlfriend and you get over it. But suffering at the hands of your parent(s) scars you for life (if you live through it). They are the 2 people in the entire world that are supposed to love you unconditionally and protect you from all the "badness" in the world.

Having said all that, my last comment will be that the parents are never above suspicion until they have been investigated and ruled out.

Salem

Actually, Colomom, you bring up a very good point. I also visit other forums, some very pro-McCann, and some very anti-McCann. One of the many things I love about this forum, is the fact that FACTS are sought and discussed. You can't help but deal with your emotions in a case like this, but by and large, we always get back to seeking the facts. Everyone's opinion is tolerated....even if it is questioned sometimes.:clap:

And that's part of the frustration of this case. Everything concerning a crime in Portugal is cloaked in secrecy. Take a look at any interview given by a member of its PJ, and you see a lot of "I can't reveal that" (or words very much like them). So instead of press conferences given by LE to state where the case stands and ask for help from the community, we get... silence. In the void, it looks as if the newspapers are just making stuff up. We are trying to seek facts, but it's hard when we don't know what they are.

Hi mates.....I read here every day but dont post...I just want to thankyou for the updates and informative posts that you all provide.:blowkiss:

You little dog, you. :blowkiss:

I read posts here for a long time before saying anything--and even now I find myself just echoing other posters who have far better insights.

It's great that so many people care about Maddie, no matter what they think happened.

PLEASE people, don't be nervous about laying those questions, observations or outlandish theories out there for us to examine. In a case such as this it is imperative that we have as much input as possible. Consensus (IMHO) will lead to the key, the answer, the truth..if you will.

Don't be afraid of those that will ridicule you for your "speculation", I believe that all of us will defend your right to say whatever you want, and that includes those who can present a logical, intelligent argument...

It's all about participation and tolerance.....

On that note I bid you good night!!

And good night to you as well. :blowkiss:

Couldn't agree more with you!

And that's part of the frustration of this case. Everything concerning a crime in Portugal is cloaked in secrecy. Take a look at any interview given by a member of its PJ, and you see a lot of "I can't reveal that" (or words very much like them). So instead of press conferences given by LE to state where the case stands and ask for help from the community, we get... silence. In the void, it looks as if the newspapers are just making stuff up. We are trying to seek facts, but it's hard when we don't know what they are.

Yes, and we don't even know if the UK investigators are sharing info with the PJ. So how would the PJ know anything about an operation being conducted in the UK by the UK investigators? The PJ are the one's whom screwed this all up from the start. Why should we believe what the PJ is saying today about O'Brien? Once this case is solved, I doubt it will be because of them.

That has bugged me from the get go when I sent the McCanns an email begging them to just tell the truth

Did you actually expect a reply? I find this sort of ludicrous.

Portugal joined the EU in 1986 and uses the Euro as it's money so I don't think it needs Britain's help to attain that goal!

It does really bring to mind the Ramsey case: Crime scene botched, conflicting testimony and contradictory statements, attitude and actions by parents after the crime causing more concern about their involvement. And we all know how THAT ended up sadly...

I still think that with that much alcohol consumed, the memories were impaired because they were all impaired. Not falling down drunk, but buzzed and happy. Mathew Oldfield admitted as much when he made his defensive comments about drinking because they were on holiday.
Ditto!

Portugal joined the EU in 1986 and uses the Euro as it's money so I don't think it needs Britain's help to attain that goal!

I was looking for the link - but haven't found it yet. There is something Portugal wants that the UK could help with. I'll find the link, it had something to do with the new guy Brown (I think). That's what I get when I try to use my memory:doh: without refreshing it first.

Salem

Apparently it some kind of EU treaty.

http://euobserver.com/9/24608

~snip~ The treaty issue is set to move from the technical back to the political stage on 7 September when EU foreign ministers are expected to tackle the topic at informal talks in Portugal.
~end snip ~

http://portugalresident.com/portugalresident/showstory.asp?ID=20553

~snip~Upon being asked about his views on the current relationship between Portugal and the United Kingdom, President Cavaco Silva said they were excellent, adding: "Portugal has a very good relationship with the United Kingdom, which has recently been reinforced by José Sócrates’ visit to the new British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

"It is very important for Portugal to maintain a good relationship with all countries in the European Union, including Germany and France." ~end snip~

Neither of these is the article I was looking for, but I think they relate. It is an EU treaty issue, not joining the EU. And I confess, I don’t really understand it all but the article I remember reading indicated it was important to Portugal.

A couple more links:

http://euobserver.com/9/24517

http://www.adfero.co.uk/news/autoco...w-round-eu-talks-finalise-treaty-$1112407.htm

You little dog, you. :blowkiss:

I read posts here for a long time before saying anything--and even now I find myself just echoing other posters who have far better insights.

It's great that so many people care about Maddie, no matter what they think happened.
Hi Texana:blowkiss: ......this little dog got her heart broke with the JBR saga....Im a bit gunshy now.

Apparently it some kind of EU treaty.

http://euobserver.com/9/24608

~snip~ The treaty issue is set to move from the technical back to the political stage on 7 September when EU foreign ministers are expected to tackle the topic at informal talks in Portugal.
~end snip ~

http://portugalresident.com/portugalresident/showstory.asp?ID=20553

~snip~Upon being asked about his views on the current relationship between Portugal and the United Kingdom, President Cavaco Silva said they were excellent, adding: "Portugal has a very good relationship with the United Kingdom, which has recently been reinforced by José Sócrates’ visit to the new British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

"It is very important for Portugal to maintain a good relationship with all countries in the European Union, including Germany and France." ~end snip~

Neither of these is the article I was looking for, but I think they relate. It is an EU treaty issue, not joining the EU. And I confess, I don’t really understand it all but the article I remember reading indicated it was important to Portugal.

A couple more links:

http://euobserver.com/9/24517

http://www.adfero.co.uk/news/autoco...w-round-eu-talks-finalise-treaty-$1112407.htm
If this is really happening, Britain against Portugal at the expense of a missing little girl, then I am truly disgusted. Politics should not be brought into this, the two countries should work together to find Madelaine, not to score points against each other.
This is absolutely infuriating. I am soooo mad, angry, frustrated, THIS IS ABOUT A MISSING CHILD CALLED MADELAINE.

Well, if he's guilty you wouldn't expect him to just admit it.
Too true, if he told the truth about where he was the night that Madelaine disappeared, then maybe he could be ruled out as a suspect, but he was missing from the restaurant that night, and because of the so called Pact of Silence, we dont know exactly where, who and for how long people were gone from the dinner table that night. I think if we knew that then we will know what happended to Madelaine.

Maybe I missed this but where does it state that the friends of the Mccanns had a "Pack of Silence". My understanding the pack of silence is because the police don't want them to talk and keep things quiet. Also the one friend I think it was Matt said everything should go through Gerry we made that promise.

I'm just not sure where the "Pack of Silence" came from.

Did you actually expect a reply? I find this sort of ludicrous.

Of course I did not expect a reply!!! But, I did hope they would read it!

In the early weeks of this case I was very emotionally upset by it. I cried for Madeleine every day. I was desperate for her to be found. I was convinced from day 1 that the McCanns were hiding something and I know how damaging that can be for LE to conduct a proper investigation. While I still feel these things it is less intense (thank God).

The word ludicrous means:

1 : amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity
2 : meriting derisive laughter or scorn as absurdly inept, false, or foolish

therefore your comment is very insulting. If you can't comment without being insulting I would appreciate it if you would keep your comments to yourself!

Thank you very much! :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members