Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he changed the ownership because he knew he was about to take a long trip with some potentially awful outcomes for him? Maybe it wasn’t so much about forensic evidence as what if people spotted him and shopped him in en route?

I think yesterday, may have been DLK who mentioned that the Jag was already in Germany on day MM was taken?
Sorry if it wasn't you DLK.

Does anyone know why someone would change car ownership to someone in another country with no intention of giving the car away?

What I’m trying to establish is if the date of the paperwork was the date he left the country - is there a geographical reason he would change paperwork to a German citizen as he planned to take the car into that country?
He had a large fine to pay and the police took his blue bedford to cover some of the cost when he didn't pay it. He may have re-registered the Jag to someone else so that they didn't confiscate it.

Also, he was prosecuted for having german licence plates on the jag, which isn't allowed if you are resident in portugal, only if you are a holidaymaker. He may have assigned the car to someone in Germany so he could keep his plates for whatever reason. Or to help his case over the plates charge by assigning it to a German resident.

Also, bear in mind he re-registered the car twice. Once to AB (unclear when this was, some reports say it was while in prison) and then again to someone else on the 4th May, according to AB the car was given to someone in Munich. Also been reported by HCW that the car was already in Germany on the 4th, despite earlier assertions that it was in Portugal at the time.

Another possibility is that the re-registering on the 4th was a way for CB to use it as an alibi. Perhaps he intended to claim he was in Germany selling his car on the 4th and so couldn't have taken MM on the 3rd. I know he doesn't need to be there in person to do that but if the other party had been asked by CB to vouch that he was there, does make a fairly sound alibi.

I think yesterday, may have been DLK who mentioned that the Jag was already in Germany on day MM was taken?
Sorry if it wasn't you DLK.

Really? Ah I can’t make head nor tail out of motivation for that then.

Really? Ah I can’t make head nor tail out of motivation for that then.
Mr Wolters played down the significance of the Jaguar despite Scotland Yard appealing for information about it.

He said the car was in Germany when Madeleine went missing and information about it was released only to jog memories. 'The vehicles are not of direct interest for the Madeleine case,' he said.

Kate and Gerry McCann hit back at German prosecutor's claim

Madeleine McCann's parents told by German prosecutors that she is dead

Credit to @Loobyloo for remembering it.

He had a large fine to pay and the police took his blue bedford to cover some of the cost when he didn't pay it. He may have re-registered the Jag to someone else so that they didn't confiscate it.

Also, he was prosecuted for having german licence plates on the jag, which isn't allowed if you are resident in portugal, only if you are a holidaymaker. He may have assigned the car to someone in Germany so he could keep his plates for whatever reason. Or to help his case over the plates charge by assigning it to a German resident.

Also, bear in mind he re-registered the car twice. Once to AB (unclear when this was, some reports say it was while in prison) and then again to someone else on the 4th May, according to AB the car was given to someone in Munich. Also been reported by HCW that the car was already in Germany on the 4th, despite earlier assertions that it was in Portugal at the time.

Another possibility is that the re-registering on the 4th was a way for CB to use it as an alibi. Perhaps he intended to claim he was in Germany selling his car on the 4th and so couldn't have taken MM on the 3rd. I know he doesn't need to be there in person to do that but if the other party had been asked by CB to vouch that he was there, does make a fairly sound alibi.
Really interesting post.
Your first point certainly looks like what CB may have done.
It seems this car was of huge importance to him, so he wouldn't have wanted it confiscated to pay the fine.
Also it was a important part of his "image" his public "mask" that he had created that he would not have wanted to have lost either imo.
The Jag was woven into his ego.

I know, he's like flipping Phileas Fogg with his travels in 2007. Here, there and eveywhere. MT places him in the Algarve living in his van in Feb 07 but other than that, there's not much to say where he was prior to May 3rd that year. Would make sense he perhaps returned to Germany in the early part of 2007 to live for periods of time.

DF reckons he sees him in Foral with the Winnebago a few months before MM went missing. He says the winnebago had Hannover licence plates at this time so again, another thing to indicate he may have already been living in Hannover at this point, going back and forth to Portugal for drug runs etc. Also AB says CB came to live with him a short while after the MM abduction, so if the allotment neighbour indicates CB left the site in around July 2007 time, that may fit with when he then went to live with AB. All depends on the interpretation of "shortly after", could just be sensationalist reporting at the time to make the story more interesting. Given he gave the Mail an exclusive, you would think he'd have told them the dates he was there yet they don't mention any specifics.

Now it's clear why he needed so much diesel.

Good points - particularly the alibi. Do you reckon he put his foot down all the way to Germany that day in a bid to pretend he’d been there all along?

Good points - particularly the alibi. Do you reckon he put his foot down all the way to Germany that day in a bid to pretend he’d been there all along?
Before this search in Hannover, I would have thought it unlikely but now, I think it might be a possibility. First and foremost he'd want somewhere safe and secluded to go. And there is some logic I suppose in getting as far away from the crime scene as possible.

Is it known exactly what he was prosecuted for regarding the forged documents? I'm guessing it relates to the mysterious comings and goings of vehicles?

Bild said: 'He constantly collected criminal charges. For theft, bodily injury, drunkenness in traffic, forged papers. The number of procedures is difficult to calculate. A life out of control!'

British woman claims Madeleine McCann suspect Christian Brueckner 'targeted her' | Daily Mail Online

"He reportedly moved to Hanover in 2007 – the year Madeleine disappeared – and was later convicted of forgery and theft by its local district court."

Police search allotment near where Madeleine McCann suspect used to live

"German media says he received at least two criminal convictions from a Hannover court, one for forging documents in 2010 and another for theft in 2013."

Madeleine McCann investigators resume digging at German allotment

Apologies for clumsy linking.

Here too traces were destroyed (by mistake of course):
A former neighbour of Brueckner claims the sex offender lived at the vegetable garden in 2007 - the same year Madeleine vanished - and that the buildings on his plot of land were demolished in 2008.
I wondered if CB had perhaps demolished the shed/hut once he'd done whatever he was doing with the cellar beneath it, to reduce the chance of any future tenant investigating the cellar. Would it even be apparent there'd been a cellar, if the building above had gone? Some of today's reports are even calling it a 'hidden cellar'.

The bar confession was in Hannover, wonder if that’s significant?

Also, what’s with all the peeps taking pics of the skip being taken away. I don’t think there’s anything of forensic value in there!

Madeleine McCann investigators resume digging at German allotment | Daily Mail Online

Good point about the confession - it was on an anniversary, too, so perhaps CB was feeling nostalgic...

As to the skips, I agree it could simply be rubbish in there, generated by personnel on the site for 3 days. Briefly thought I spotted a beam (!) in one of them, then remembered the investigators had t cut down some trees.

(photos at:
Madeleine McCann cops look drained as three-day dig uncovers secret cellar)

Once more with feeling...
CB's phone didn't MAKE a call that night, it RECEIVED one.

Reports haven’t exactly been consistent, Looby.
One page of a Google search attached. Page one, as it happens.

Attachments

• C2536AD1-CF7D-4AA7-9E26-460933E10A5A.jpeg
    C2536AD1-CF7D-4AA7-9E26-460933E10A5A.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 58
  • C346F021-CE41-433E-B205-036519A0CA0B.jpeg
    C346F021-CE41-433E-B205-036519A0CA0B.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 9A753D9A-C6F3-42D3-A291-CA74D54AF71D.jpeg
    9A753D9A-C6F3-42D3-A291-CA74D54AF71D.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 56
  • B39DB43A-3EA5-42A1-B49A-A72C29A81CA9.jpeg
    B39DB43A-3EA5-42A1-B49A-A72C29A81CA9.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 55AF7136-6406-43E6-BEC0-82435DB4E0D9.jpeg
    55AF7136-6406-43E6-BEC0-82435DB4E0D9.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It came up on the only other Websleuths case I looked at as well. A student from my daughter's uni raped and murdered. Whilst that's still awaiting trial the defendant is serving 8 years for at least 3 years of terrorising young women by flashing and looking thru windows at them. Minor crimes in a small area. He could have been caught by just sticking a photofit in local shops. But LE didn't take it seriously till it was too late. Seen as a minor crime I guess
I've had the same thoughts, for exactly the same reasons, though hopefully that person (if found guilty) will be stopped at his first major offence.
It also occurred to me that both the defendant we're referring to & CB are safely behind bars at the moment, which gives LE more time to put their case together. The scope is reduced in CB's case - just 22 months remaining, I think, before the statue of limitations kicks in. I wonder whether any allowances would be made for delays due to the COVID crisis.

Reports haven’t exactly been consistent, Looby.
One page of a Google search attached. Page one, as it happens.
The inconsistency has been really unhelpful, I agree. But I would trust official LE statements more than a journalist's interpretation/rewriting of the 'facts'.
This BBC report, for instance, directly attributes a quote to a Met officer:

Police have released details of the suspect's phone number (+351 912 730 680) and the number which dialled him (+351 916 510 683), and said any information about these numbers could be "critical".

Det Ch Insp Cranwell ['Det Ch Insp Mark Cranwell, who is in charge of the Met investigation - known as Operation Grange'] said the caller was a "key witness" and should get in touch, while he also appealed to the public for details about the suspect.​
Madeleine McCann assumed dead - German prosecutors (my bold)

I wonder how long CB rented this plot for and when he became the tenant.
If MM is there, he would have had to have secured the rental before hand and not just have rocked up in Hanover looking for a place to stay and conceal a body in early May 2007.
Just makes me wonder if this was pre-meditated abduction and murder and not just impulsive act, or robbery then change of mind.
I agree with you and also I think he must have had someone to help him, in the same way that AB helped him with the Jaguar. IMO

I’m not suggesting it was AB
What if he changed the ownership because he knew he was about to take a long trip with some potentially awful outcomes for him? Maybe it wasn’t so much about forensic evidence as what if people spotted him and shopped him in en route?
The change of ownership only occurred the day after Madeleine was abducted. So if he indeed drove through the night to get from Portugal to Hanover, then if he was stopped the vehicle would still have been in his name.

Putting together CB and the VW's movements 2007

Dec - CB 'obtains' the VW when he was released from prison with MT. From where?
Dec - Where did CB spend Xmas/NY?
Jan?
Feb - BSJ - VW - (MT) + independent witness account.
Mar/Apr - Foral - Winnebago - (DF)
May/June - Orgiva - Winnebago - (MT)
June/July - Foral - VW - (AD, LS)
July? - Hanover -VW
Nov - Foral -VW
Dec - Augsburg - Winnebago? (AB)

At an unknown date, presumably 2007 the VW was in Malaga as sleuthed by WS ;).

It was suggested that it could have a Morroco connection - Looking unlikely atm

The VW was on it's way/or on it's return, to/from the Dragon Fest in March/April - Possible.

The VW was on it's way to Hanover around May or after Foral in July, or returning to Portugal Aug/Sep/Oct - Possible

The VW was in Malaga for totally different reason - Possible

*By the amount of clothing the reflected person in the VW window is wearing I would suggest that it is Spring or Autumn, it is hot in Malaga mid summer with high sun, especially if you are driving a VW camper*

We also have CB turning up late 2007 in Augsburg after reportedly being 2 weeks in Dresden.
Didn't CB turn up in Augsburg in the Winnebago?

This breakdown is entirely based on witness accounts/sightings/stories and their credibility.

Last edited:
The inconsistency has been really unhelpful, I agree. But I would trust official LE statements more than a journalist's interpretation/rewriting of the 'facts'.
This BBC report, for instance, directly attributes a quote to a Met officer:

Police have released details of the suspect's phone number (+351 912 730 680) and the number which dialled him (+351 916 510 683), and said any information about these numbers could be "critical".

Det Ch Insp Cranwell ['Det Ch Insp Mark Cranwell, who is in charge of the Met investigation - known as Operation Grange'] said the caller was a "key witness" and should get in touch, while he also appealed to the public for details about the suspect.​
Madeleine McCann assumed dead - German prosecutors (my bold)
And this, sadly seems to be common in child abduction cases - That the name of the alleged perpetrator
comes up early in the investigation and is somehow missed......

Jim Gamble, who served as the senior child protection officer in the UK's first police investigation into Madeleine's disappearance, said it was the first time in 13 years "when I actually dare to hope".

The "circumstantial evidence" that had been shared by the police made the new suspect a "really significant person of interest", he said.

He said he believed the man "came to light a number of years ago" but was only being made public now because it was a "painstaking" process which began from "a point of chaos" after the initial investigation had been "bungled".

Also from the BBC Article - www.bbc.com/news/uk-52916137

About the allotment:
Vehicles (plural) with foreign number plates were seen (regularly) at the allotment:
Ein Jahr danach sei ein Unbekannter mit zwei Hunden und einem Campingbus regelmäßig dort gewesen. Auch von Fahrzeugen mit ausländischen Kennzeichen ist die Rede, ehe die Hütte verfallen sei.
Maddie McCann: Rätselhafte Suche in Hannover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member