Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FAZ had clearly read the judgement which discussed the evidence, so I wonder if the judgement is publicly available, or whether media got access to parts of it.
The Guardian talks of seeing court documents, perhaps they are not in the wider public but only on the news wires.

His most serious conviction was for a disturbing sexual attack on a woman at the other end of the age spectrum, however: the rape of a 72-year-old American woman whose flat was on the 1km route between his house and the beach which he walked every day. The attack took place on 2 September 2005, and according to court documents seen by the Guardian, it was planned in detail.

The Guardian talks of seeing court documents, perhaps they are not in the wider public but only on the news wires.

His most serious conviction was for a disturbing sexual attack on a woman at the other end of the age spectrum, however: the rape of a 72-year-old American woman whose flat was on the 1km route between his house and the beach which he walked every day. The attack took place on 2 September 2005, and according to court documents seen by the Guardian, it was planned in detail.

You beat me to the punch, Richard.

I was just about to post that very article.

Within the circle of indictments there is nothing that can link to the disappearance of Madeleine imo (which is part of the heading of the thread), unless the BKA are relying on witness statements and with these convictions can be gained and these same witness's attest to CB being some how involved in her disappearance thus lending support to CB's involvement, one hopes he really does have something concrete although what is it now 28 months after declaring such.JMO.

Last edited:

I can't find the court reporting of the German journalist mentioned there

Perhaps it is all paywalled

Within the circle of indictments there is nothing that can link to the disappearance of Madeleine imo (which is part of the heading of the thread), unless the BKA are relying on witness statements and with these convictions can be gained and these same witness's attest to CB being some how involved in her disappearance thus lending support to CB's involvement, one hopes he really does have something concrete although what is it now 28 months after declaring such.JMO.
Well allow me to say that the BKA and HCW think otherwise. The topic is about CB as a suspect in MM's case. If the BKA think there is something that links and ties these crimes with MM, I doubt it is a bluff. As it was not a bluff when news surfaced that he would be charged with these 5 sexual and violent crimes. When was that, a year ago? Or longer? He has been charged. so again we should be patient.

I can't find the court reporting of the German journalist mentioned there

Perhaps it is all paywalled
I had a google too. Bettina Thoenes writes for the paper below and since she reported on the rape trial, I'd have thought it would have been there in her/the paper's archives. I searched a bit but the only recent CB related article is the one below. I notice though if you click on any of the links within this article, it requests subscription so I think it's there but paywalled.

I guess it wasn't syndicated at the time since there was no CB/MM connection so no interest beyond 'local'.

Last edited:
Found this from the Mail in 2020, not that it clears anything up.

A year and a half before the mysterious disappearance of three-year-old Madeleine McCann another crime had occurred in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz in the Algarve: A 72-year-old American was brutally raped and robbed in her home.

There was no trace of a perpetrator for years, until a witness spoke to police about a video camera from a friend's house in Praia da Luz in 2006.

The acquaintance had been detained for diesel theft and he and a friend had used the opportunity to break into his home.

The man testified at the trial of Christian Brueckner in December, stating he saw a film sequence on the video camera in which an older woman was bound and masked and whipped then raped.

'Then the man sat on the bed and pulled the mask off his face. Then I thought: That can't be. ' He recognised the house occupant.

A second film showed a younger person in the house. She was tied naked to a wooden beam. The house inhabitant, his acquaintance, had sat on the sofa in this sequence. The young woman had asked him to release her a few times.

He claimed he left the videotapes in his motorhome which which was later scrapped. He said he and his accomplice were certain that what they saw was no staged scene.

"According to this, the Maddie suspect is said to have surprised, tied up and raped an unidentified woman between 70 and 80 years old in the bedroom of her holiday apartment in Portugal sometime between 2000 and 2006."

How would BKA know it was 'in the bedroom of her holiday apartment'?
That's very specific and it's on the charge sheet.
They must have other supporting evidence imo.

I had a google too. Bettina Thoenes writes for the paper below and since she reported on the rape trial, I'd have thought it would have been there in her/the paper's archives. I searched a bit but the only recent CB related article is the one below. I notice though if you click on any of the links within this article, it requests subscription so I think it's there but paywalled.

I guess it wasn't syndicated at the time since there was no CB/MM connection so no interest beyond 'local'.

Yes - that is what I found as well.

Oh well, i must confess i lack the motivation to try and find the judgement - but we can see from FAZ and Guardian articles that there were other witnesses who had background info about his activities.

"According to this, the Maddie suspect is said to have surprised, tied up and raped an unidentified woman between 70 and 80 years old in the bedroom of her holiday apartment in Portugal sometime between 2000 and 2006."

But they can't be specific on the date ?

Perhaps the video footage, as supplied verbally by the witness, included a description of CB's entry into her apartment - that he 'surprised her' implies this - so there could have been (a) external (albeit generic) footage and then also (b) internal footage (eg. the way it was laid out/decorated) that identified it as a holiday apartment rather than a home, if you know what I mean.

What we know and can conclude from the charge is that, to date, the victim remains unknown, the location of her apartment remains unknown (since if it was known, the BKA would have investigated and the victim could have been tracked down) and the date of the attack remains unknown.

I'm not doubting the witness account of what he saw on the video, just that the charge details don't imo back up the idea that additional supporting evidence exists.

But they can't be specific on the date ?
That may be a deliberate ploy as it precludes any alibi
You aren't allowed to do ploys on indictments. If they knew the date they would say.
But by having a six year time span how did/do the BKA know that the decor is constant for any given day in that period to be able to narrow it down to her holiday apartment.

Maybe the witness simply described it as a holiday apartment. The indictment particularises the charge against the accused in concrete terms. Of course elements of the indictment will be subject to evidential contest.

Maybe the witness simply described it as a holiday apartment. The indictment particularises the charge against the accused in concrete terms. Of course elements of the indictment will be subject to evidential contest.
For reference on that I've found this, don't know the accuracry mind.

2. CONTENT OF THE INDICTMENT

Despite regional differences in the concrete wording, an indictment always contains the following information (cf. § 200 StPO):

ACCUSATORY SENTENCE

• personal details including the name of the defender (if already available)
  • Time at which the crime was committed and the facts of life allegedly committed
  • Legal characteristics of the accused offence(s)
  • Penal regulations to be applied
  • Evidence (confession/partial confession/admission of the accused,
  • witness statements, experts, documents, objects of inspection)

For reference on that I've found this, don't know the accuracry mind.

2. CONTENT OF THE INDICTMENT

Despite regional differences in the concrete wording, an indictment always contains the following information (cf. § 200 StPO):

ACCUSATORY SENTENCE

• personal details including the name of the defender (if already available)
  • Time at which the crime was committed and the facts of life allegedly committed
  • Legal characteristics of the accused offence(s)
  • Penal regulations to be applied
  • Evidence (confession/partial confession/admission of the accused,
  • witness statements, experts, documents, objects of inspection)

My point is, the reference to "holiday apartment' might not be so significant

The indictment has the basic who, when, where, what stuff, as best as the prosecution can say. It's something you learn about drafting indictments, which is quite different to the television perception of trials. However some of that stuff is not technically part of the crime of murder. Hence they may have put "holiday apartment' because that is how the witness described it - but nothing turns on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members