Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was my thought. But then, if the huge piece of evidence they dont want to reveal WAS a video, how else would you answer the question?

You could say something along the line of I'm not going to comment on that, but that then sounds even more suspicious IMO.

Of course there may just not be a video, point is I don't know how much we can trust that quote in the Sun just yet.

I'm inclined to believe it might not be that huge if they're not pressing charges.

It could also be that they have almost nothing but are giving the impression that they have something in a bid to rattle him. I can think some cases off the top of my head where investigators have done this.

As you say - IF.
IF they wanted to make it public at this point.

The McCanns informed the UK media almost immediately.

Yup, that’s why I’m suggesting one theory could be a quick change of plan for CB in terms of outcome (sell/murder). Feels really cold putting it in those terms- I’m only being blunt for clarity, but apologies anyway.

Someone up thread wondered about occult activities (with the animal bones etc? I noticed approximately 38 seconds into this video there are some plates, one of them has strange 'markings/signs' on. I'm looking at this on my phone so can't quite make them out. Astrological symbols? May not be relevant, but thought I'd point this out.
It was the video that Miya posted-sorry it doesn't link.
I wouldn't doubt it!

I'm inclined to believe it might not be that huge if they're not pressing charges.

It could also be that they have almost nothing but are giving the impression that they have something in a bid to rattle him. I can think some cases off the top of my head where investigators have done this.

I agree completely, just as the German judge on the podcast said. 'If they had more, they would say more'. They can only press charges with compelling evidence, ergo they haven't got it.

Accomplice
Earlier today, it was announced that the Portuguese police are a former employee on the trail of the holiday resort where the McCann family stayed in 2007. The man is suspected of complicity in the case. The detective suspects that he worked with Brückner, with whom he had several contacts at the time. He may have tipped the German off about a suitable time to enter the McCanns' apartment. The former employee of the complex has also been linked in the past to sex crimes with minors in the Algarve

I'm not sure if the German system works like that. They have questioned him, both Germany and UK, he is not talking. His legal team would get the evidence when he is charged only.
The police are in limbo at the moment waiting for some information to come in which means they can charge him.
And German law is quite generous re hearsay evidence . Possibly similar fact evidence could be adduced as well. ?

Maybe huge wasn't the right word to use, but they've repeatedly alluded to certain evidence they're not going to reveal. We don't know what that is. Could be a video, could be web transcripts, UC operative, associates turned on him. Who knows. Just saying I don't think we can disount a video on the basis of the statement made.

I agree completely, just as the German judge on the podcast said. 'If they had more, they would say more'. They can only press charges with compelling evidence, ergo they haven't got it.
The evidence has to prove it was him to take to court. Doesn't mean the evidence doesn't show something compelling in relation to MM.

Maybe huge wasn't the right word to use, but they've repeatedly alluded to certain evidence they're not going to reveal. We don't know what that is. Could be a video, could be web transcripts, UC operative, associates turned on him. Who knows. Just saying I don't think we can disount a video on the basis of the statement made.

No, definitely not.

The 43-year-old German suspected of murdering British Maddie McCann was observed by police in 2018. German detectives even followed Christian Brückner when he traveled to the Netherlands by bus. At the border, they informed their Dutch colleagues about the arrival of the sex offender, who was considered dangerous, but things went wrong after that. German media report this.

Upon arrival in Amsterdam, the German had suddenly disappeared, according to Braunschweiger Zeitung and Bild . It is not known how he managed this and where he went afterwards. Brückner apparently traveled unnoticed to Italy, where he applied for a new passport at the German consulate in Milan. He was arrested on 27 September 2018 when the ID was collected. This on the basis of a European arrest warrant that had already been issued by the Public Prosecution Service in Flensburg

That arrest warrant came about because Brückner did not comply with the conditions of his probation. It entered into effect on August 31, 2018 after his release from prison. He had been detained there for a year and three months for child abuse and possession of child *advertiser censored*. Instead of reporting to his probation officer at least once a month, the German left for Italy via the Netherlands. In addition, he still had a 2011 and nine months' imprisonment for drug trafficking.

Because the German police already suspected in 2018 that he might have something to do with the disappearance of Maddie McCann and were considered 'very dangerous', the Braunschweig detective arranged for him to be observed 24 hours a day. This was done by local police officers and colleagues from the federal police.

Brückner would soon have noticed that he was being watched. “He started playing games with us. For example, got on a tram and got off again shortly afterwards, '' the regional newspaper quoted one of the members of the observation team at the time. The detectives soon had enough of his games and told the suspect: "You will not lose us anyway."

The multiple convicted sex offender is said to have reacted angrily but eventually resigned himself to the situation. The investigators even made arrangements with Brückner. "I said to him: we can make things easier for ourselves. Let us know where you want to go. For example, we brought it to the health insurer or to the city center. ''

great points and I swing back to this daily from them having something solid.

It’s possible they have something nasty and incriminating but the identity isn’t 100% that of CB.

I’d like to just point something out for consideration (and this will not be news to experienced sleuthers).
- German court cases are very different to those in the UK/America in that the judge takes a very active role in the investigation. Further reading: inquisitorial court cases
- there is rarely a jury.
- the balance of probability prior to getting to the judge is that there must be weight leaning towards a conviction rather than acquittal

you may read that last point and be like ???obviously??? But in the context of CB:

IF there is a video/pictures/media of MM or any other victim coming to harm and it is not 100% the identity of CB (mask,POV etc) then that arrest cannot be made without weightier evidence.

The circumstantial evidence should be beyond watertight.

edit: not trying to patronise; but I have to remind myself to snap out of UK practice when reading up on this. And yes, I swing from “this is going somewhere” to “going nowhere daily”

Accomplice
Earlier today, it was announced that the Portuguese police are a former employee on the trail of the holiday resort where the McCann family stayed in 2007. The man is suspected of complicity in the case. The detective suspects that he worked with Brückner, with whom he had several contacts at the time. He may have tipped the German off about a suitable time to enter the McCanns' apartment. The former employee of the complex has also been linked in the past to sex crimes with minors in the Algarve

Thanks, was looking for this after reading it a couple days ago somewhere.

This is huge, if accurate. HUGE

Some info on the German legal stages. They are in the middle of stage 1 'Investigation' because no charges have been brought and there are 3 stages.

European e-Justice Portal

1'Investigation (Ermittlungsverfahren): The prosecuting authorities (either the public prosecutor or the police) will start an investigation if they suspect you of a criminal offence. The aim of the investigation is to establish whether or not the suspicion against you is justified. In order to conduct their investigation they may take a variety of measures, including searching your home. When the investigation is complete, the public prosecutor will decide whether to discontinue the proceedings on lack of suspicion or whether to charge you.'

So at this first stage there are only 2 options on how it ends up, (it could drag on for years obviously) You either declare the person no longer a suspect or charge them. This really confirms they suspect CB but cannot say that suspicion is justified. This stage is not to do with establishing guilt as that would be done in the 3rd stages. He could present counter evidence at the 2nd stage which may stop a trial happening. Then the third case is a trial.
  • 2 Zwischenverfahren): In the intermediate proceedings a court assesses the charge and decides whether or not the prosecution should proceed. If the court believes that there is enough evidence to make a conviction likely, it will open the main proceedings.
  • 3 Main proceedings (Hauptverfahren): In the main proceedings, the court prepares and conducts the trial. The court tests the charge at an oral hearing on the basis of the evidence available (eyewitnesses, documents, etc.). You will also be given the opportunity to tell the court your version of events and to comment on the allegations. If you are found to have committed the offence, you will be convicted. If not, you will be acquitted. You can appeal against a judgment within certain time‑limits. In a full appeal (Berufsverfahren), the main proceedings are repeated before a higher court. In review proceedings (Revisionsverfahren), the judgment is checked only for legal defects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member