Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madeleine McCann is dead, German prosecutor says

A regional prosecutor's office is investigating a 43-year-old German national on suspicion of murder.

BERLIN — Madeleine McCann, the British girl who disappeared in Portugal in 2007 aged just three, is dead, Germany's prosecutor said on Thursday after identifying an imprisoned German child abuser as a murder suspect.

McCann vanished from her bedroom on May 3 during a family vacation in the Algarve while her parents were dining with friends nearby in the resort of Praia da Luz...

"We assume that the girl is dead," Braunschweig state prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said. "The public prosecutor's office in Braunschweig is investigating a 43-year-old German national on suspicion of murder."...

I like translating that kind of stuff and I will definetly keep you up to date! If there is a specific video/article you'd like to be translated, just ask! :)

The translated article was published on December 17th 2019
is der spiegel a reputable newspaper? i ask as they seem to be the first to have released the suspect's name... and seem to have lots of detail.

Just curious if there is any mention of a man of this description or a camper van in the Netflix documentary? I keep feeling like there was something about a van....but it's been too long for me....I know the report of a man carrying a child towards the beach is now given more weight, but I feel like in the last few episodes there was someone similar...I guess I should go watch again.

it won't be helpful if there is any trial.

makes me wonder how the german press got the details, and if the press know it is against the law, why did they release the name.
the suspects whole life story is already beginning to appear in the media.

That's the thing with cases that have international media coverage. The German press may release the name in a shortend kind of way, like they did in the article you quoted. That's quiet common. The German press don't want to loose their readers, so they try to publish as many information as possible and legal. We had a gunman a few years ago, a school shooter, and in every bit of media coverage he was just referred to as Tim K., although everybody knew his full name due to international press. Some things about his private life were released and his father pressed charges and I think they got a lot of money if I remember correctly. Things change so fast and with ongoing globalization I don't know what media coverage will look like in the future.

That’s the thing about the EU, convicted murderers and rapists are completely free to move about and member countries cannot refuse them entry. I didn’t vote for Brexit but I can understand why some people did.
As an ex-Pat American,I find many of the EU prison sentences ridiculously lenient. Especially for these types of crimes. But not to derail the thread.

Is there any sort of probation or parole regulations they have to follow, no matter where they are? Like registering with local LE, showing proof of employment, etc?

Would you mind reading this article for us and telling us if there’s any new information on there? It’s quite long so it might not be worth translating if it doesn’t have anything new though. Thank you in advance x

Fall Maddie McCann: Die Vorstrafen des Tatverdächtigen Christian B. - DER SPIEGEL - Panorama

Sure, there are a lot of new things released in there. They focus on the criminal background of the suspect. I think I'will translate a good part of it. Just one Question: There is an extra thread for translations from Portgal, wouldn't it make sense to make one with German translations as well?

My initial thoughts were that he just told his friend how he did it but that doesn’t fit with “determined.”
I don't believe that word was used by police, but by the media to describe what the media believe the police believe, ie could mean 'suspect'. They don't have her body, they don't have a confession, I don't believe they have a video, how could they possibly know for sure?

As an ex-Pat American,I find many of the EU prison sentences ridiculously lenient. Especially for these types of crimes. But not to derail the thread.

Is there any sort of probation or parole regulations they have to follow, no matter where they are? Like registering with local LE, showing proof of employment, etc?

There are things that are done if you commited a sex crime. If you want to work with Children/Teens and you are above the age of 16, you have to show your police clearance certificate, where they say if you have been charged for any sex crimes before. You have to renew this certificate and show it again every three years. I think it's rather funny, because you have to pay to get a copy of this certificate. I'm working with kids in a public institution, so I get the money I spent for the certificate back. Basically I pay the state money for an empty sheet of green paper and they give it back to me. That's German bureaucracy in a nutshell.
Anyway, if you start a new job, they will look up if you have any charges pressed against you. I don't know if this is just a German thing though.

That's the thing with cases that have international media coverage. The German press may release the name in a shortend kind of way, like they did in the article you quoted. That's quiet common. The German press don't want to loose their readers, so they try to publish as many information as possible and legal. We had a gunman a few years ago, a school shooter, and in every bit of media coverage he was just referred to as Tim K., although everybody knew his full name due to international press. Some things about his private life were released and his father pressed charges and I think they got a lot of money if I remember correctly. Things change so fast and with ongoing globalization I don't know what media coverage will look like in the future.
you make a good point regarding global media/local law and coverage of crime. especially in relation to a fair trial.
also, regarding your Tim K example, with the press and libel - it would be easy to see a similar thing happening in this case. the press are already releasing lots of personal details. makes me wonder what the rights are when a suspect is already in prison. does he get re-arrested, for this crime?

Just curious if there is any mention of a man of this description or a camper van in the Netflix documentary? I keep feeling like there was something about a van....but it's been too long for me....I know the report of a man carrying a child towards the beach is now given more weight, but I feel like in the last few episodes there was someone similar...I guess I should go watch again.

Please do watch it again - you might pick up on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jseikel