Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are things that are done if you commited a sex crime. If you want to work with Children/Teens and you are above the age of 16, you have to show your police clearance certificate, where they say if you have been charged for any sex crimes before. You have to renew this certificate and show it again every three years. I think it's rather funny, because you have to pay to get a copy of this certificate. I'm working with kids in a public institution, so I get the money I spent for the certificate back. Basically I pay the state money for an empty sheet of green paper and they give it back to me. That's German bureaucracy in a nutshell.
Anyway, if you start a new job, they will look up if you have any charges pressed against you. I don't know if this is just a German thing though.

It's the same in England,we call it a DBS check,or there is an enhanced DBS check for working with children or any vulnerable people

you make a good point regarding global media/local law and coverage of crime. especially in relation to a fair trial.
also, regarding your Tim K example, with the press and libel - it would be easy to see a similar thing happening in this case. the press are already releasing lots of personal details. makes me wonder what the rights are when a suspect is already in prison. does he get re-arrested, for this crime?

I'm just guessing here, but as far as I know, they will add years to his sentence if he is found quilty. I hope his family is safe, this things get out of control this fast these days. And I think if he is found to be not guilty he has every right to press charges against the press. The damage is done, whenever somone googles his name, they will find this and he will never have a chance for a normal live ever again.

As an ex-Pat American,I find many of the EU prison sentences ridiculously lenient. Especially for these types of crimes. But not to derail the thread.

Is there any sort of probation or parole regulations they have to follow, no matter where they are? Like registering with local LE, showing proof of employment, etc?
I think you just do probation for a short period in your home country - maybe for a few years and - then you’re pretty much free to go wherever you want. You will flag up on databases but if you’re just doing odd jobs and nothing too professional you’ll go unnoticed.

The case that sticks in my mind is Alice Gross. A Latvian man murdered his wife, served his sentence for that then moved to the UK and murdered a teenage girl. Free movement is mainly beneficial but the dark side is criminals cannot be denied entry.

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here, but as far as I know, they will add years to his sentence if he is found quilty. I hope his family is safe, this things get out of control this fast these days. And I think if he is found to be not guilty he has every right to press charges against the press. The damage is done, whenever somone googles his name, they will find this and he will never have a chance for a normal live ever again.

Regardless of him being guilty of this particular crime,I'm not sure his track record lends itself to being deserving of living a normal life to be fair,I doubt any if his previous victims lives have felt normal since they encountered him.

Regardless of him being guilty of this particular crime,I'm not sure his track record lends itself to being deserving of living a normal life to be fair,I doubt any if his previous victims lives have felt normal since they encountered him.

Sure, I completely agree with you, he certainly does not deserve a normal life. I just don't like the idea that he has to suffer from media coverage for something he didn't do.

I’ll be honest, i feel much more confident having the German police investigate this as opposed to the Portuguese police or even the Met to be honest. We’re in good hands lol.

I think there are good and bad parts in that. The German beaurocracy may be very slow, but it is very thorough and in depth. I see language barriers as one of the bigger problems to be honest. The original documents are in Portuguese, some are translated to English and now they have to be translated to German and that may take a while.

Sure, I completely agree with you, he certainly does not deserve a normal life. I just don't like the idea that he has to suffer from media coverage for something he didn't do.

In this case I think I could live with it but I do agree with you generally speaking,and many lives have been ruined by the media without any hint of solid evidence over the years which is a disgrace and they shouldn't be allowed to name people and print their photo with nothing to go on but hearsay,sadly in the UK the press can get away with anything,unless they are reporting on rich celebrities who can afford to buy themselves anonymity through the courts:mad:

I think there are good and bad parts in that. The German beaurocracy may be very slow, but it is very thorough and in depth. I see language barriers as one of the bigger problems to be honest. The original documents are in Portuguese, some are translated to English and now they have to be translated to German and that may take a while.
Yeah your right, I didn’t think of that. I just meant in terms of an organised and efficient approach. It will be chalk and cheese to how the Portuguese police handled the same crime. IMO of course.

In this case I think I could live with it but I do agree with you generally speaking,and many lives have been ruined by the media without any hint of solid evidence over the years which is a disgrace and they shouldn't be allowed to name people and print their photo with nothing to go on but hearsay,sadly in the UK the press can get away with anything,unless they are reporting on rich celebrities who can afford to buy themselves anonymity through the courts:mad:

We had the same thing here, I think it was five years ago? Someone raped and killed a girl, I think she was about eight years old, and they had a suspect pretty fast. They didn't arrest him, but his name was everywhere, and one night a bunch of people attacked him in a parking lot and beat him, threw stones at him and let him there, bleeding and unconsciuos. Ambulance was not called until three hours later by a homeless guy who went in a restaurant and insisted that somebody calls the police. They did not have any evidence at this point,just hearsay. The guy was declared innocent the next day, as he had a waterproof alibi. He was in a a coma for a long time, I don't know if he has any issues today, but in the media they reported heavy wounds at his head, so I guess he has. This makes me so sad to this day.

Are details of where he is from in Germany coming out yet? I don't think we are allowed to say in here but we are allowed to ask and get a yes or no answer, I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jseikel