Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domenic Fazioli ‏@DomenicFazioli · 1m
Defence tells Luka Magnotta jury:"I intend to show you that Magnotta was not criminally responsible" pic.twitter.com/e79FozdGVZ

So he's going for an insanity plea? Does this jive with his run from the law?

Apparently there are quite a few times where he was seeking mental health services over the years so I am assuming (I know! I know!) he is going to say he wasnt criminally responsible. IMO

Domenic Fazioli ‏@DomenicFazioli · 1m
Defence tells Luka Magnotta jury:"I intend to show you that Magnotta was not criminally responsible" pic.twitter.com/e79FozdGVZ

So he's going for an insanity plea? Does this jive with his run from the law?

Sorry, can't find it now, but saw a tweet earlier that the defence claimed that LM was planning to move to Paris.

Brother, defence opening is apparently over. Can't believe how little there is considering the magnitude (ugh) of this case.

Michele Mandel
@MandelSun

#Magnotta diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia: defence

Part of the problem with news trickling down is some the crime scene photographer is testifying in French but apparently there no translation available for Anglo reporters

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 1m

#Magnotta lunch break. Gruesome photos after eating?

@MontgomerySue · 2m

#Magnotta lunch break

Sheesh ... we just got started

Part of the problem with news trickling down is some the crime scene photographer is testifying in French but apparently there no translation available for Anglo reporters

I think only those reporters who are fluent in both languages are going to be able to follow this completely. And they likely won't be tweeting. They will probably be taking notes for news stories. I assume LM is fluent in both languages?

MOO

Saw a pic earlier of Lin Jun's mom and dad arriving at court. Those poor parents, having to live through the nightmare of what happened to their beloved son.

Rest in Peace Lin Jun
:rose: :rose: :rose:

Apparently there are quite a few times where he was seeking mental health services over the years so I am assuming (I know! I know!) he is going to say he wasnt criminally responsible. IMO

No doubt LM has some serious mental issues. Just not sure any of them qualify legally for "insanity" in terms of his culpability in this murder. I think he knew it was wrong. He wanted to create "shock and awe" with his "snuff film" and then he fled the country, which shows to me that he didn't want to get caught. I think these behaviours indicate that he knew what he was doing.

MOO

I'm following Sue Montgomery on twitter and she tweeted that Toronto media/reports are pretty upset bc its in french. She is bilingual so hopefully she can keep us up to date.

Tweets from this morning...

QMI Montreal @QMIMtl · 3h

All 50 spots in 1st overflow room at Magnotta trial already full. 2nd room being opened up.

Magnotta is in the building. Judge Guy Cournoyer, prosecutor Louis Bouthilier and defence lawyer Luc Leclair are in the courtroom.

Both sides arguing legal matters with the jury absent. Judge Cournoyer is upset at something said by prosecutor Bouthillier.

QMI Montreal @QMIMtl · 2h

Judge Cournoyer presiding over a lengthy legal debate with both sides. Voices getting raised. Very emotional tones by judge and Crown.

Judge Cournoyer and prosecutor Bouthillier got so loud that lawyers peeked into the overflow room.

The 14 Magnotta jurors have entered the courtroom.

Sixteen jurors entered the courtroom, in fact, but two were immediately excused.

QMI Montreal @QMIMtl · 15m

Mtl police forensic investigator Carolyn Simoneau is 1st Crown witness. Describes examining a blood-soaked travel bag outside apt.

QMI Montreal @QMIMtl · 14m

Simoneau says travel bag smelled, had a few flies.

More tweets...

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 40m

#Magnotta will raise issue of mental disorder and that he was therefore not criminally responsible: defence

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 34m

Defence says #Magnotta father will testify and a walk-in clinic doctor who says referred him to psychiatrist 2 months before murders

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 33m

Before murder, #Magnotta goes for one hour psych assessment - diagnosed with borderline personality disorder

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 32m

#Magnotta medical records will be entered from Toronto after his schizophrenic dad takes him to psychiatrist

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 31m

#Magnotta diagnosed with psychosis at Fla hospital in 2011

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 29m

Sun columnist Joe Warmington to testify about his 2007 interview with #Magnotta: defence

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 29m

Warmington will say he thought #Magnotta should be seen at a hospital.

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 26m

#Magnotta saw lawyer about accusations he was killing and filming cat murders in Dec. 2011

Michele Mandel @MandelSun · 24m

#Magnotta defence lawyer is very scattered and hard to follow.

Hi people!

There's a live blog from The Toronto Star. I posted the link in the TOP thread. The "no discussion" one.

Enjoy??????????

‏@SGirouxCTV · 1m
Translation is provided to #Magnotta when a French-speaking witness is on the stand. Jury had to be bilingual for that specific reason.

More tweets from Rosie DiManno, Toronto Star

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 2h

Magnotta heavier, flabbier, not as pretty as he was when arrested 2 years ago.

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 2h

In opening address prosecutor Louis Leclair says court will hear that Magnotta met with British reporter from London Sun in Dec 2011

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 1h

Meeting was tape recorded. Few days later Magnotta sends email to reporter, court told

"It is our position this email makes it clear Mr. Magnotta was planning to kill a human beinf and he was planning to make a movie of...

There is surveillance video from lobby of Magnotta building that shows Jun Lin, Chinese engineering shooting, entering premises late May,'12

"Killed and dismembered within a few hours after that"

Hands and feet sent through the mail in four parcels - to schools in Vancouver and political parties in Ottawa. Head found in park a month

later. Rest of body stuffed in garbage bags and suitcases found in alley behind Magnotta's apartment. Discovered by building manager.

"You will get evidence that it had been there a few days" - the body parts in bags.

Bouthillier says Magnotta left for Paris with 48 hours of murder, then on to Berlin, arrested there at an Internet cafe. Man Magnotta lived with in Berlin will testify next week.

"You heard about the so-called murder video. Most of you have not seen the so-called murder video. You will get to see it here in court."

Video posted on website hours after murder

Court hears that opening 53 seconds on tape were shot a week before murder, showing "another man, lying naked on the bed in Mr. Magnotta's.."apartment". The other 10 minutes, says Crown, show Lin similarly bound on same bed. "Indignities are then performed on Mr. Lin's body"

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 58m

Defense lawyer Luc Leclair: 'Mr. Magnotta has admitted the physical acts for each of the offenses"

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 56m

Defense will focus on the mental part - legally known as "mens rea", making argument of mental disorder, thus not criminally responsible

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 47m

Received no meds allegedly. "If it had been done a different way, we probably wouldn't be here." Leclair says Magnotta thought he was being targeted by PETA, after discussing "cat killing" videos with British journalist

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 43m

Defense will call at least two psychiatrists. Unclear whether any members of Magnotta's will testify on his behalf.

Rosie DiManno @RDiManno · 41m

Leclair: "I'm crossing my fingers that somebody will come. I quite believe that his father will be here."

"If it had been done a different way, we probably wouldn't be here." Leclair says Magnotta thought he was being targeted by PETA, after discussing "cat killing" videos with British journalist

I wonder how feeling persecuted by PETA somehow justifies murdering and dismembering an innocent human being?

Mr. Leclair is crossing his fingers? Sounds like he's going on a hope and a prayer. :crossfingers: :prayer:

Can't find the links, so don't know how factual, but reference was made earlier to LM's father taking him to the same psychiatrist his dad had, then another reference to his father having schizophrenia??

‏@nationalpost · 3m
#Magnotta’s lawyer says his client is schizophrenic and not criminally responsible for murder http://natpo.st/1plWHgA pic.twitter.com/P0A5oDcove

BPD, psychotic, schizophrenic ... defence is throwing every disorder possible out there.

Jumping back and forth here ... have to wonder how LM's exclamation "You got me" ties in with the defence tack of NCR. IMO, sure sounds like he knew what his apprehension was all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech