Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 4m4 minutes ago
Did he have an interest in S & M? Witness says #JunLin did not express that interest when they were together. #Magnotta

Michele Mandel ‏@MandelSun · 4m4 minutes ago
Asks if he's aware Jun Lin had gay *advertiser censored* movies on his computer incl. s&m downloaded May 2012.Not while we were together,. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 3m3 minutes ago
Leclair showing witness pictures from gay *advertiser censored* film, images of bondage. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 2m2 minutes ago
Do I have to look at these pictures, witness asks. #Magnotta

amy minsky ‏@amyminsky · 2m2 minutes ago
Feng didn't want to look at the pictures., the Crown objected to continuing the showing despite Feng's not knowing anything #Magnotta

amy minsky ‏@amyminsky · 2m2 minutes ago
Judge sustained, and Leclair got rid of the book of pictures taken from *advertiser censored* downloaded to Jun Lin's computer. #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 2m 2 minutes ago

Leclair asks again what day did you break up. Witness says he already answered the question

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 2m 2 minutes ago

Lin Jun moved out a couple of days after I left Montreal, Feng Lin says. Leclair now checking his laptop

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 3m3 minutes ago
Defence says he's almost done but has an issue he wants to discuss. Jury, witness, interpreter dismissed for a bit. #Magnotta

Michele Mandel ‏@MandelSun · 3m3 minutes ago
Leclair: are you swearing under oath he never discussed anything about s&m with you? Jun Lin's ex-lover confirms that's the truth.#Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 2m2 minutes ago
Jury being summoned. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 1m1 minute ago
Jury back. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 21s21 seconds ago
Do you know if #JunLin used Craigslist? Not aware, witness says. #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 28s 29 seconds ago
are you familiar with Craigslist? Leclair asks witness. there's a personal section where you can hook up with people, a bit like Grindr

Michele Mandel ‏@MandelSun · 41s42 seconds ago
In one of your police interviews, you said Jun Lin wanted to go to Hollywood and was attracted by stars? Leclair asks. #Magnotta

Michele Mandel ‏@MandelSun · 33s34 seconds ago
And it would make sense that Jun Lin would go for a male *advertiser censored* star, do you remember saying that to police? Leclair asks #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 15s 16 seconds ago
Not the *advertiser censored* star stuff, Feng Lin says, but the Hollywood stuff, yes. As a joke, he says

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 52s52 seconds ago
Not aware of that statement, more of a joke made, witness says. Defence done. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 1m1 minute ago
Have a safe trip back home, judge tells witness. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 57s58 seconds ago
Jury dismissed for the day, back tomorrow. #CJAD #Magnotta

Well that was an interesting day full of nothing relevant to LM's state of mind when he murdered the young man who was maligned in court all day. I hope whatever lies LM has told his lawyer, and whatever defence tactics he thinks might work to make LJ less sympathetic, bite him in the a$$.

MOO

Also wanted to mention that today's witness was answering his questions in Mandarin which was being translated. With three different languages involved in this trial, kudos to the news people tweeting this out for us.

Ugh, victim blaming. This is why no one likes lawyers.

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 21m 21 minutes ago

Leclair tells Feng Lin that he feels very bad about what happened to his friend but the trial isn't about him

Nice thing to say when you know Jun Lin's dad is listening. :banghead:

I honestly think Bernardo was a rapist and Karla was a killer. That having been said, if I can help share #Magnotta tweets at a certain time during the day, I am glad to help.

**Edited to add: I was trying to quote someone who compared Magnotta to Bernardo, and I was putting my two cents in, but screwed up my post...

Catching up. Disgusted with Leclair's line of questioning of this witness and his attempts to disparage Lin Jun. Grindr, Craigslist, gay *advertiser censored*, so what? ... nothing there that any unattached hetero guy wouldn't do and has zip to do with some SOB taking the life of an innocent victim, and puppies and kittens that had nothing to do with anything.

Leclair would not have won any points today with the jury with his sorry attempts and draconian style on behalf of his client.

IMO, the better man won today. Feng Lin stood up well. I particularly like the ending sentence from this article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...r_trial_slides_ankledeep_into_the_gutter.html

A man who’d loved a man and stayed true to his memory under the terrible glare of a pitiless murder trial.

You were very loved by many Lin Jun.
Rest in Peace :rose:

Catching up. Disgusted with Leclair's line of questioning of this witness and his attempts to disparage Lin Jun. Grindr, Craigslist, gay *advertiser censored*, so what? ... nothing there that any unattached hetero guy wouldn't do and has zip to do with some SOB taking the life of an innocent victim, and puppies and kittens that had nothing to do with anything.

Leclair would not have won any points today with the jury with his sorry attempts and draconian style on behalf of his client.

IMO, the better man won today. Feng Lin stood up well. I particularly like the ending sentence from this article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...r_trial_slides_ankledeep_into_the_gutter.html

You were very loved by many Lin Jun.
Rest in Peace :rose:

What that dignified man went through was disgusting and I sure hope there were many good people following his court appearance who bolstered his spirits. He deserved huge hugs and a lot of support.

I thought the attack on Lin Jun's character was appalling yesterday. So what if he spoke to men online, so what if he looked at semi-nude photos, so what if he watched *advertiser censored*, even if it was S&M between consenting adults in a controlled environment? What relevance at all does it have on what Luka Magnotta did? Does anyone at all believe that Lin Jun would say that he wanted to be hacked to death with an ice pick in a snuff flick, to have his body parts mailed around the country, to be beheaded, to be stuffed into a suitcase and black plastic bags and dumped like trash? It was awful to hear his memory being tarnished in the way it was.

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 26m 26 minutes ago
Day 4 of #Magnotta trial about to get underway. I'll have all the details from the courtroom

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 12m 12 minutes ago
Lawyers and judge discussing some legal points. Since jury not here, I can't tell you what they're saying

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 3m 3 minutes ago
Be patient; I think these args will finish soon and jury will be brought into courtroom. Inshallah

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 16m16 minutes ago
Overflow room 3/4 full - people trickling in,not as crazy as during the first two days. #Magnotta

Michele Mandel ‏@MandelSun · 26m26 minutes ago
#Magnotta trial resumes with the interrupted x-exam of Mtrl police tech who photographed evidence, incl boxes used to mail body parts

I thought the attack on Lin Jun's character was appalling yesterday. So what if he spoke to men online, so what if he looked at semi-nude photos, so what if he watched *advertiser censored*, even if it was S&M between consenting adults in a controlled environment? What relevance at all does it have on what Luka Magnotta did? Does anyone at all believe that Lin Jun would say that he wanted to be hacked to death with an ice pick in a snuff flick, to have his body parts mailed around the country, to be beheaded, to be stuffed into a suitcase and black plastic bags and dumped like trash? It was awful to hear his memory being tarnished in the way it was.

I totally agree. And the most confusing part of all is that LM is 100 times more likely to be involved in much more than what little dirt LeClair tried to fling at Lin Jun so what does this prove? If you want your client to come off as NCR due to severe mental disorders then it would bode well to make his victim appear to be squeaky clean and there is no reason for LM to have lured and killed him other than he is insane. Really scratching my head on the point of yesterday. It just reconfirms for me that LM was deliberately trolling those sites for a victim. :confused:

MOO

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 16m16 minutes ago
Overflow room now pretty full. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 15m15 minutes ago
Non publishable debate still going on. #Magnotta

amy minsky ‏@amyminsky · 14m14 minutes ago
I was going to say the overflow room for #Magnotta was less popular than in previous days, but maybe ppl learned we tend to start late.

amy minsky ‏@amyminsky · 13m13 minutes ago
Judge, lawyers and staff are in the court room, but they've been working out a legal issue for about half an hour without the jury #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 4m4 minutes ago
OK. Debate and legal issues over. But judge taking 5-10 minute break. #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 4m 4 minutes ago
judge has called for a 10-15 minute suspension. go back to sleep, I will wake you

I totally agree. And the most confusing part of all is that LM is 100 times more likely to be involved in much more than what little dirt LeClair tried to fling at Lin Jun so what does this prove? If you want your client to come off as NCR due to severe mental disorders then it would bode well to make his victim appear to be squeaky clean and there is no reason for LM to have lured and killed him other than he is insane. Really scratching my head on the point of yesterday. It just reconfirms for me that LM was deliberately trolling those sites for a victim. :confused:

MOO

Just waking up here and mis-read your post as referring to defence counsel as "little dirt Leclair" :floorlaugh:

@sleeCJAD · 49s49 seconds ago
Ok debate over. Jury being summoned

@MandelSun · 28s28 seconds ago
#Magnotta jury asked for opening instructions in French and English. Judge says they can have a copy in English only

@perreaux · 33s34 seconds ago
#Magnotta judge is giving jury a special instruction along lines of what I mentioned y'day about state of mind, mental illness and intent

@sleeCJAD · 48s48 seconds ago
Judge telling jury about his opening remarks and the written copy they'll get later on and instructing them about evidence

@MontgomerySue · 37s38 seconds ago
Judge has note from jury. Want written copy of opening instructions in French + English. He will give them in Eng only, trial Eng

@MontgomerySue · 38s39 seconds ago
Judge explaining yesterday's line of questioning. it was to determine whether Lin Jun went to #Magnotta's apartment voluntarily

‏@WoodsAllan · 52s52 seconds ago
Judge Cournoyer gives special instructions to jury regarding testimony of Feng Lin, the victim’s boyfriend...

@MandelSun · 1m1 minute ago
#Magnotta jury also getting midtrial instruction: whether Jun Lin was into S&M can be considered when deciding if killing was premeditated

@MontgomerySue · 2m2 minutes ago
Leclair asking jury to leave. "That would have been nice to know in advance," judge says

@sleeCJAD · 3m3 minutes ago
Judge tells jury evidence showing #JunLin may have engaged in S&M may be relevant to question of whether murder was premeditated

@MandelSun · 2m2 minutes ago
Def lawyer wants to raise issue, jury sent out

Defence has issue. Jury leaves

Judge told jury it's up to them to weigh the evidence

@SGirouxCTV · 3m3 minutes ago
Judge clarified to jury the defense's line of questioning of Feng Lin

@MandelSun · 2m2 minutes ago
Jury can use whether victim was into S&M to determine if Jun Lin went to #Magnotta's apt. voluntarily before he was killed

@MontgomerySue · 2m2 minutes ago
Leclair asking jury to leave. "That would have been nice to know in advance," judge says

Judge tells jury evidence showing #JunLin may have engaged in S&M may be relevant to question of whether murder was premeditated

@WoodsAllan · 3m3 minutes ago
Judge says Crown tried to show Jun Lin didn't engage in S&M practices with Feng Lin. Defence lawyer argued he was so inclined

@MontgomerySue · 3m3 minutes ago
Further to what judge told jury. Yesterday's evidence was to determine whether killing was premeditated

More legal issues. Can't report them while the jury is out

@SGirouxCTV · 4m4 minutes ago
The issue of S&M with Jun Lin was strictly to determine if murder could have been premeditated, and not to put victim on trial

@amyminsky · 3m3 minutes ago
Second item was explaining to jury Feng Lin's testimony yesterday and evidence of S&M was to help determine premeditation

@SGirouxCTV · 3m3 minutes ago
And with that...defence wants new break from jury so he can talk to judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members