Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This week the current bathymetric survey work was completed. Over 150,000 square kilometres of the wide search area have been analysed and mapped. If it proves necessary, bathymetric survey operations may recommence in the future.

Fugro Equator completed bathymetric survey operations on 26 October and commenced passage to Fremantle. It is expected to arrive in Fremantle around 31 October for mobilisation as the third underwater search vessel. This process will involve reconfiguring the vessel to accommodate a deep tow vehicle identical to that currently in use by Fugro Discovery.

Over 2,500 square kilometres of the seafloor have been searched so far. In addition to locating the aircraft, the underwater search aims to identify any crucial evidence (such as aircraft wreckage and flight recorders) to assist with the Malaysian investigation.

GO Phoenix has departed Fremantle after resupply and is expected to recommence operations in the search area by 2 November.

Fugro Discovery arrived in the underwater search area on 22 October and initiated deployment of the towfish and conducted a series of tests that day. On 23 October, search operations commenced.

Weather conditions in the southern Indian Ocean begin to improve significantly during October and the impact of weather on operations is expected to reduce. This trend continues to improve over the summer months before conditions begin to worsen again in May.

Work continues with refinements to the analysis of the satellite communication system messages. This ongoing effort may result in changes to the prioritisation and location of search activity within the current search area along the seventh arc.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/families/operational_reports/opsearch-update-20141029.aspx

The first of many perhaps?

Oct 30, 2014

A family member of one of the passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 will file a lawsuit against the carrier and the government over the incident.

The law firm representing the victim’s family, Rusmah Arunan & Associates, said the suit will be filed at the Registry of the High Court in Kuala Lumpur tomorrow.

The suit cites negligence in the investigation of the incident on the part of MAS, the Department of Civil Aviation, Department of Immigration, Royal Malaysian Air Force and the Malaysian government.

The firm added that its clients (Jee’s family) have decided to go ahead with the lawsuit after being counselled by lawyers and experts.

"We have spoken to various experts relating to this industry. Having carefully analysed and weighed their expert opinions, we believe that our clients have sufficient grounds in establishing such a case against the named parties," Rusmah Arunan & Associates said.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/279031

http://www.rusmaharunan.com/

"The lead agency behind the search for the missing MH370 flight has warned it will be forced to undertake fewer investigations after cutting 12 percent of its staff due to $2 million budget cuts.

Ten transport investigators are among those to go from the transport safety regulator after cutting its staff from 116 to 104 since July 2013."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-10-investigators-let-go.html#ixzz3I4XRhbiB

The search being scaled down and eventually stopped has been a big concern of ours since the start. I wonder when we will eventually reach the end of the road as far as searches go. I don't envy those who face having to decide this. How are the victim's families going to cope for the rest of their lives not knowing what happened to their loved one? I cannot imagine how I could face this if I were them it is very very sad.

Yesterday's weekly update ...

Over 3,000 square kilometres of the ocean floor have been searched to date. The total area surveyed by Fugro Equator and Zhu Kezhen's multibeam data acquisition in the search area was over 160,000 square kilometres.

Fugro Discovery continued search operations during the week, but was required to suspend operations on Friday 31 October owing to severe weather. On 3 November, Fugro Discovery recommenced search operations.

GO Phoenix commenced underwater search operations on 4 November.

Fugro Equator is expected to depart for the search area in the coming week.

Poor weather conditions, including gale force winds, in some parts of the search area are likely to affect operations over the coming week.

As previously advised, work continues with refinements to the analysis of the satellite communication system messages, however no significant changes occurred in October.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/families/operational_reports/opsearch-update-20141105.aspx

"The lead agency behind the search for the missing MH370 flight has warned it will be forced to undertake fewer investigations after cutting 12 percent of its staff due to $2 million budget cuts.

Ten transport investigators are among those to go from the transport safety regulator after cutting its staff from 116 to 104 since July 2013."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-10-investigators-let-go.html#ixzz3I4XRhbiB

The search being scaled down and eventually stopped has been a big concern of ours since the start. I wonder when we will eventually reach the end of the road as far as searches go. I don't envy those who face having to decide this. How are the victim's families going to cope for the rest of their lives not knowing what happened to their loved one? I cannot imagine how I could face this if I were them it is very very sad.

I was reading about this earlier in the week. Apparently the $60,000,000 injected by our govt will keep the MH370 search going for the designated time period of 1-2 years.

Should more searches be required after that, though ... :dunno:

An important fact concerning a known 777 security vulnerability -- the fact that the plane's electronics bay is unsecured and accessible from the passenger cabin -- has come to light, thanks to Mike Exner, a member of the Independent Group (IG) of scientists: although ACARS transmissions can be disabled from the cockpit, the plane's satellite unit can be depowered ONLY by means of an "obscure" circuit breaker in the electronics bay. It is believed that the satellite unit was indeed depowered sometime after other communications were shut down... but at 18:25, the unit powered on again, recommencing the pings that enabled Immarsat to track the plane. Although the satellite unit might have been depowered for some reason other than deliberate action, the facts are consistent with a hijacking plot. The electronics bay can also be entered through the front landing gear well while the plane is on the ground, suggesting that a stowaway might have entered the unit in order to collaborate with one or more on-board hijackers. Among the circuits that can be depowered in the electronics bay is the cockpit door lock! As Ben Sandiland comments, some

airline sources... believe that whatever the intent of the original diversion of MH370, something went wrong with the execution of the plot, and the 777 turned south on a flight to fuel exhaustion and oblivion in the south Indian Ocean W or SW of Perth. Where an Australian managed deep sea search is underway, based on the guidance given by a strategic search committee which reports to the Malaysia authorities who are the lead investigators of the disappearance of the flight.

As (interminable) discussion on PPRUNE and other sites attests, it is difficult to draw positive conclusions from the facts concerning the electronics bay and satellite unit. Again, it may have been depowered for some reason other than deliberate action, as Mike Exner and others have pointed out. Still, if it was indeed deliberately powered on at 18:25, this suggests that the crew may have regained control of the plane and were attempting to reestablish communication when, as Sandiland puts it, something went wrong and the plane set off to the south.

An important fact concerning a known 777 security vulnerability -- the fact that the plane's electronics bay is unsecured and accessible from the passenger cabin -- has come to light, thanks to Mike Exner, a member of the Independent Group (IG) of scientists: although ACARS transmissions can be disabled from the cockpit, the plane's satellite unit can be depowered ONLY by means of an "obscure" circuit breaker in the electronics bay. It is believed that the satellite unit was indeed depowered sometime after other communications were shut down... but at 18:25, the unit powered on again, recommencing the pings that enabled Immarsat to track the plane. Although the satellite unit might have been depowered for some reason other than deliberate action, the facts are consistent with a hijacking plot. The electronics bay can also be entered through the front landing gear well while the plane is on the ground, suggesting that a stowaway might have entered the unit in order to collaborate with one or more on-board hijackers. Among the circuits that can be depowered in the electronics bay is the cockpit door lock! As Ben Sandiland comments, some

As (interminable) discussion on PPRUNE and other sites attests, it is difficult to draw positive conclusions from the facts concerning the electronics bay and satellite unit. Again, it may have been depowered for some reason other than deliberate action, as Mike Exner and others have pointed out. Still, if it was indeed deliberately powered on at 18:25, this suggests that the crew may have regained control of the plane and were attempting to reestablish communication when, as Sandiland puts it, something went wrong and the plane set off to the south.

Hmmm....very interesting!
Makes a hijacking theory very plausible!

I'm watching a really interesting show about MH370 on the History channel right now.

Not sure if it's going to be replayed or if it's available on YouTube....it's called Ghost Planes.

Some of the comments on the YouTube videos make me laugh.
Some guy suggested that the plane is on an island like the one from LOST.
Unless a strong electromagnetic force brought the plane down (like in the show), I can't see that as being a probable theory.
I could see if MH370 was flying near the Bermuda Triangle but even then...

The Malaysian Insider has published an MH370 scenario created by Denis Thomas, a retired Canadian engineer, that shows how sensitive the Inmarsat data is to analysts' assumptions. In an equipment failure scenario in which the pilots are unable to communicate, Thomas envisions the plane headed out the Malacca Strait, down the west coast of Sumatra, and across Sumatra in an effort to burn off fuel, avoid other aircraft, and land at KL after dawn. In this scenario, something happens and the plane continues northeasterly until fuel exhaustion occurs in the south China sea. Assuming Thomas' calculations are correct, the disturbing thing about his scenario is that it fully satisfies all the Inmarsat BTO/BFO data just as well as the currently assumed termination in the southern Indian ocean.

Apparently the $60,000,000 injected by our govt will keep the MH370 search going for the designated time period of 1-2 years.

Seems to me that the airline industry (mfrs. and airlines) ought to pay for the search, not the taxpayers of Australia. There wouldn't be much doubt about the plane's location if Malaysia Airlines had been willing to pay the modest subscription fees for full ACARS/GPS tracking. OK, glad I got that off my chest.

The Malaysian Insider has published an MH370 scenario created by Denis Thomas, a retired Canadian engineer, that shows how sensitive the Inmarsat data is to analysts' assumptions. In an equipment failure scenario in which the pilots are unable to communicate, Thomas envisions the plane headed out the Malacca Strait, down the west coast of Sumatra, and across Sumatra in an effort to burn off fuel, avoid other aircraft, and land at KL after dawn. In this scenario, something happens and the plane continues northeasterly until fuel exhaustion occurs in the south China sea. Assuming Thomas' calculations are correct, the disturbing thing about his scenario is that it fully satisfies all the Inmarsat BTO/BFO data just as well as the currently assumed termination in the southern Indian ocean.

Interesting, thanks for posting. Also this post "the fact that the plane's electronics bay is unsecured and accessible from the passenger cabin -- has come to light,"

According to the Wall Street Journal (paywall), the aviation industry (airlines, manufacturers, etc.) is announcing a commitment to a mandatory aircraft positioning system which would indicate every airplanes' location coordinates at 15-minute intervals, reduced to one minute if the airplane veers from its expected course. Presumably this would be implemented within the existing ACARS/GPS infrastructure -- which means that it's all but meaningless if the system can be disabled in-flight.

The airline industry needs to manufacture something that makes it impossible to disable ACARS/GPS/transponders, etc...

The airline industry needs to manufacture something that makes it impossible to disable ACARS/GPS/transponders, etc...

I totally agree everything possible needs to be done to prevent this possibly happening again for the sake of all airline passengers and crew who go on planes around the world every day. I still cannot believe that MH370 has disappeared of the face of the earth without a trace. I hope we the families of the missing and the public find out what happened in my lifetime (in the next fifty years).

airline sources... believe that whatever the intent of the original diversion of MH370, something went wrong with the execution of the plot, and the 777 turned south on a flight to fuel exhaustion and oblivion in the south Indian Ocean W or SW of Perth. Where an Australian managed deep sea search is underway, based on the guidance given by a strategic search committee which reports to the Malaysia authorities who are the lead investigators of the disappearance of the flight.

Pretty sure we knew that some time after the plane went missing. Should be in one of the 1st threads. I've always felt the plane was hijacked like that. I still do not think the pilot or copilot had anything to do with it

Seems to me that the airline industry (mfrs. and airlines) ought to pay for the search, not the taxpayers of Australia. There wouldn't be much doubt about the plane's location if Malaysia Airlines had been willing to pay the modest subscription fees for full ACARS/GPS tracking. OK, glad I got that off my chest.

I agree! They should be shouldering a huge portion if not all!

According to the Wall Street Journal (paywall), the aviation industry (airlines, manufacturers, etc.) is announcing a commitment to a mandatory aircraft positioning system which would indicate every airplanes' location coordinates at 15-minute intervals, reduced to one minute if the airplane veers from its expected course. Presumably this would be implemented within the existing ACARS/GPS infrastructure -- which means that it's all but meaningless if the system can be disabled in-flight.

Long over due!

If MH370 turned south at around 18:25, it would have skirted the northwestern corner of Sumatra... which raises the question of why the flight was not detected by Indonesian radar. Pondering this question, Jeff Wise notes that Indonesia's radar capability is quite advanced and has responded numerous times to incursions by civilian aircraft. But Indonesia emphatically denies that MH370 was detected within its airspace. Yet another mystery....

A FOUR-minute video explaining the complexities and activities of the search for MH370 has been produced by Australian authorities to help families understand why it is taking so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUbKi-hHBI&feature=youtu.be
Search for MH370 - English version

JACC Chief Coordinator Judith Zielke said it was decided at a ministerial meeting in August that the agency should be providing as much information as possible to families about the search arrangements.

“There are individual families who contact us either by letter or phone, then there are families we meet with face to face or by teleconference,” said Ms Zielke.
“It’s not the sort of thing you can go to one location and meet them all but we do try to keep them updated about every announcement we might make.”

She said crew on the search vessels were working around the clock in shifts in order to cover as much of the area as possible.

It is hoped the search vessels will cover the entire 55,000 square kilometre high priority area by May when the weather is expected to deteriorate.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...-yet-to-be-found/story-fnizu68q-1227127509731

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654