Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are saying they are 99% certain it came from a 777. And since MH370 is the only missing 777 in the world, it has to be from it.

This is all per CNN, which I am watching live.

Big Thanks!

They are to shipping the debris to France for examination.
I hope they have an expert on hand that can look at the barnacles. I still think a lot of info could be found.

The barnacles I saw on the debris on the Channel 4 news just now (uk) are the huge, mussel type things, not small round things I think of as barnacles (but I am no marine biologist [emoji15]). I really hope this is the breakthrough to find the people and give their bodies - something - to their families.

They are to shipping the debris to France for examination.
I hope they have an expert on hand that can look at the barnacles. I still think a lot of info could be found.

Our evening news yesterday said that they already had scientists studying the barnacles. I will try to find an online link and edit it in. At this stage it sounds like they are studying photos and have identified the type of barnacle.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d-for-mh370-ties/story-fn3dxix6-1227462556823

The CSIRO and Institute of Marine Research are studying barnacles attached to the debris in an attempt to determine how long it has been in the ocean.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33713885

Robin Beaman, a marine geologist with Australia's James Cook University, said the pictures showed substantial marine growth - gooseneck or stalked barnacles - on the debris. These are commonly found on flotsam in the Indian Ocean, he told the BBC, and only on objects floating on the surface.
Mr Beaman said it was obvious from the barnacle growth that the part had been drifting for "quite a long time".

I know lives are lost and families are in turmoil, but isn't this all pretty exciting. I would love to be one of the scientists studying the piece - finally something to go on.

I hope and pray they can somehow track it through barnacle forensics (!) and find more clues.

Those bloomin' mangosteens never turned up either, did they. Pinned my hopes on those leaving a rubber duck style trail to follow.

I know lives are lost and families are in turmoil, but isn't this all pretty exciting. I would love to be one of the scientists studying the piece - finally something to go on.

I hope and pray they can somehow track it through barnacle forensics (!) and find more clues.

Those bloomin' mangosteens never turned up either, did they. Pinned my hopes on those leaving a rubber duck style trail to follow.

I'd forgotten about the mangosteens.

Does anyone else feel like you've just brought out an old car you've had in storage and you're trying to get it up and running again, get all the gunk out and the oil flowing? I'm trying to remember all the details about MH370, and take in the new info as well. Learning where Reunion Island is, what time it is there compared to where I am, all about barnacles and flaperons, etc. (FYI, Reunion is GMT + 4).

CNN finally got their hands on a 777 flaperon. It was interesting to see the real deal detached from the plane instead of just the drawings.

I think all we know for definite is this:

1. Flight disappeared in the dead of night
2. Satellite data suggested a likely search zone
3. All other sightings / suggestions were ignored
4. (tbc) A piece of wing washed up 16 months later

I'm hearing there is only one missing 777 but everyone's being careful about what they say.

I don't care what the current patterns show...I still think the plane did not go in the South end of the IO. If the plane went into the ocean in a straight direction toward the West to begin with then the debris could have come from the North instead of the East like they are saying.

Where there is one piece, there should also be more floating up in the coming days, weeks, or months, in my opinion.

Crazy problems on here today. I haven't been able to post, so this is a test.

Crazy problems on here today. I haven't been able to post, so this is a test.

I've had problems for a few days, culminating in total freeze last night just as this thread was picking up! Seems to be behaving this evening, for now, albeit slower than usual... no issues with any other pages, has someone been tinkering?!

I have to go advanced to post for some reason. Anyway the point I wanted to make is the debris that washed up may have not been floating all of this time, it may have just broken free and washed ashore, hopefully the investigators will be able to tell how long if it's been floating for some time of if it's relatively new.

CNN said the flaperon is still in Reunion now. I don't think there will be any kind of official announcement until after its been flown to France and examined. Another day of waiting. :aktion1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shayput1996