Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that article. I think it is well thought out and written and very realistic of the situation.

Ditto re "Australia is the neutral guardian." Great article, jerseygirl.

IMHO Australia has high credibility and exudes competence. Intentions are honorable, sharing is done for the good of the recovery efforts, and communications are transparent and forthcoming. When they don't want to share sensitive info, they say so. They don't profess ignorance, thwart efforts and hide important pieces of data. I'm very thankful they are leading these efforts...

There is no comparison to Malaysia.

JMO.

Thanks Boodles. I agree with you from my perspective as an Australian.

I'm actually curious why Australia is taking such a big role. I'm not against it or anything and I don't care if we are funding a large part of it. I think it's good. But I'm still curious why. Is it because we are the closest country? Is it because there were 6 Aussies on board? Is it strategic for our international relations? Is it because one of the themes in our countries history is 'lending a hand'? I could see gov't wanting to uphold that image. Is it good experience for all the departments and the crew involved? All or none of the above?

I think it would be pretty Un-Australian not to help, especially when it is so close to our border. We're the lucky country and we like to share our good fortune, unless you need to come by boat of course.

We also have strong military ties with Malaysia. We send soldiers on rotation to Butterworth, their soldiers and pilots come here to train also.

I also think it could be for security reason. Being close to our borders, maybe being in charge means they can keep an eye on other participants eg. Malaysia and China.

He’s 33 years old, he works in Mississauga, and now he’s famous — sort of.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...ississauga_flight_simulator_stars_on_cnn.html

He is Mitchell Casado, the guy with the hipster facial hair who handles the controls of an unofficial Boeing 777 flight simulator while CNN reporter Martin Savidge delves into a seemingly endless succession of aeronautical intricacies that might — or might not — shed light on the mystery of what happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

“I never thought I’d be doing this,” says Casado. “It’s been great. It’s been long hours but also very rewarding.”

Casado describes the machine as “the only open-to-the-public 777 simulator in the world.” That’s him in the pilot’s chair on the left-hand side of your TV screen, while Savidge speaks to the camera from the co-pilot’s spot on the right.

The Canadian has occasionally been required to ad lib answers himself, supplementing Savidge’s layman outlook with more precise details about aircraft performance or other arcane aspects of flight.

That’s pretty good going when you consider that Casado, although a certified pilot, is not actually qualified to fly a Boeing 777.
“On a simulator, I can,” he says. “In real life, I’m not checked out on it.”

I'm actually curious why Australia is taking such a big role. I'm not against it or anything and I don't care if we are funding a large part of it. I think it's good. But I'm still curious why. Is it because we are the closest country? Is it because there were 6 Aussies on board? Is it strategic for our international relations? Is it because one of the themes in our countries history is 'lending a hand'? I could see gov't wanting to uphold that image. Is it good experience for all the departments and the crew involved? All or none of the above?

I believe it is because it's Oz's waters?

Canada funded the SAR for Swiss 111, taxpayers got nabbed with the bill, but that's what we do. It is also good training for SAR.

LYON: Interpol hit back Friday at Malaysia’s claims that consulting a stolen passport database would have caused too much delays to be useful, after confusion caused by Kuala Lumpur’s failure to detect two illegal migrants on the still missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370.
Two passengers on the Malaysian Boeing 777 flight thought to have crashed into the Indian Ocean triggered an international terrorism probe this month after it was revealed they were travelling on stolen passports.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2014/03/29/interpol-hits-back-at-malaysia/

Mhm...how are they all so darn cute? :blushing:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so!!

Lol. I'm Australian so the accents aren't a big thing for me....but those Air Force men....:heartluv: :hot:

I'm grateful to all the countries involved. It's a huge effort. After seeing the criticism piled on Malaysia though, I guess it worries me a bit that Australia will cop some flak if the plane isn't found. I'll wait and see though.

BBM I'm from Texas, so I'm enjoying the novelty!

I am also grateful for all the countries involved..

I don't think y'all will receive any criticism. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but Malaysia was criticized because of the way it handled the investigation in the beginning. The lack of transparency, not sharing data with other countries, constantly changing information, not releasing the flight manifest.

I see y'all as swooping in with your sexy pilots and saving the day!

U.S. investigators say they aren't getting a full flow of information from the Malaysians—prompting some to complain to headquarters in Washington that they feel relegated to the margins, according to several people familiar with the matter. Malaysian investigators, meanwhile, are wary of information leaks they believe are occurring more regularly among their counterparts from Washington.

<respectfully snipped; enjoyed the reading.>

The embassy declined to comment on the level of cooperation between the two countries.

Boeing, without the full involvement of Malaysian investigators, has run some computer models of the last phase of the flight, highlighting another point of tension in the probe, two people familiar with the matter said. These so-called engineering simulations seek to lay out the most likely movements of the plane before and after it is presumed to have run out of fuel. Such work typically would be more closely coordinated with leaders of the overall investigations, according to these people.

Boeing on Friday re-emphasized that it continues to serve as a technical adviser to the NTSB.

The current tensions between U.S. and Malaysian investigators have roots in issues that appeared three weeks ago, people familiar the matter said, soon after the flight dropped off civilian radar March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

From the beginning, according to a U.S. government official and others, Boeing was upset that it took about three hours—much longer than would be typical—for Malaysian authorities to inform company representatives the jet hadn't been heard from.

Boeing's team remains "quite frustrated and doesn't trust the process," according to one person familiar with the company's views.

FAA and NTSB officials didn't play a prominent role in briefing Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak just before his somber announcement Monday that Flight 370 "ended in the southern Indian Ocean." The analysis was based primarily on work done by satellite-operator Inmarsat ISAT.LN +0.07% PLC and the U.K.'s Air Accidents Investigation Branch, the NTSB's British counterpart. Officials in Kuala Lumpur and the AAIB have a long-standing relationship on safety matters.

BBM~ This is why in the beginning I is was always asking where was Boeing in all this. They can't work with the Malaysian gov't. !

No wonder why they are frustrated. Not being that one of their planes fell off radar would be frustrating alright.

I believe it is because it's Oz's waters?

Canada funded the SAR for Swiss 111, taxpayers got nabbed with the bill, but that's what we do. It is also good training for SAR.

I'm a bit confused but I think it's outside of Australia's territory. It's international waters and not in Australia's jurisdiction. But it is in our search and rescue zone. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's right what Australia is doing.

http://www.ga.gov.au/marine/jurisdiction/maritime-boundary-definitions.html

I'm a bit confused but I think it's outside of Australia's territory. It's international waters and not in Australia's jurisdiction. But it is in our search and rescue zone. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's right what Australia is doing.

http://www.ga.gov.au/marine/jurisdiction/maritime-boundary-definitions.html

Yes, I see what you mean. It is kind of odd but I guess it's because Australia is closest to the supposed crash area?

https://www.amsa.gov.au/media/incidents/mh370-search.asp

2014_03_29_search_area_wide.pdf

Two Chinese vessels are in a new area in the Indian Ocean to search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

The Chinese navy vessel Jinggangshan, which reached the new targeted waters early Saturday and carries two helicopters, is expected to focus on searching for plane surfaces, oil slicks and life jackets in a sea area of some 6,900 square km.

A Xinhua correspondent aboard the warship said the sea was calm but there were low clouds.

Late Friday night, Chinese patrol ship Haixun 01 has already reached the area to relocate objects spotted earlier in the day by airborne searchers for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

Due to poor visibility at night, no major sightings were reported as of 1:00 a.m. local time Saturday (1700 GMT of Friday) but a few light-colored, palm-size floating objects, according to another Xinhua correspondent aboard the Chinese Maritime Safety Administration ship.

http://www.ecns.cn/2014/03-29/107208.shtml

I was just rewatching a show on that plane in Brazil that crashed after colliding with a smaller jet due to ATC errors. The smaller jet was state of the art, but its transponder failed. It had originally been on another plane, and was malfunctioning. They repaired it and put it on the new plane after extensively testing it. When the transponder failed, ground radar took over, and it was described as "wildly inaccurate" in certain situations and that the pilots may not notice that the transponder has failed. They thought the plane was going way up and down and that the pilots were showing off on their new jet, but that was just the radar giving weird readings. They couldn't find an issue with the transponder and now think that a pilot accidentally turned it off while familiarizing himself with the new jet's features (this was the first flight and was kind of a test). He knew how to fly the plane, but some of the monitoring/nonessential aspects of it (estimated arrival time) were not where he was used to and he had to figure them out. Seems very relevant to this case. Not saying that's what happened, but it indicates that some of the erratic flying people have been building theories on could mean nothing.

ETA: Apparently you could accidentally turn off the transponder using the feetrest in this case - the U.S. issued recommendations saying that should no longer be possible, and that an alarm should go off. So I assume things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member