Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very curious to know what kind of bag the "blue bag" that was spotted is.

CNN: MH370 search an expensive affair
FMT Staff | March 29, 2014
The American based media says search and rescue effort could run into billions if the search area is not narrowed down.
PETALING JAYA: The search for the missing MH370 could become the most expensive effort in modern aviation history.
CNN correspondent Tom Foreman said that costs for the search and rescue effort, joined by 26 nations, could run into billions if authorities are unable to find the exact spot to concentrate on.
“We may have to cut it down because nobody could really afford that,” said Foreman.
The CNN newsman made a comparison between the on-going Malaysia Airline MH370 search operation and the Air France plane crash in 2009, where the latter’s search took two years, at a cost of between USD40 million to USD50 million.
“The latest search zone for MH370 (47,000 square miles), is equivalent to the entire search area for Air France crash in 2009. That is just a fraction (of the search area),” said Foreman.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2014/03/29/cnn-mh370-search-an-expensive-affair/

I think they definitely have some classified info. The black box locator is being sent to the search area, a few hours ago the Australian PM confirmed:

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters on Saturday morning black box recovery equipment was about to be put on a navy ship in Perth.
"It will be taken to the most prospective search area and if there is good reason to deploy it, it will be deployed," he said in Sydney.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/03/29/09/19/objects-spotted-in-plane-search-promising

Me too. But then my first thought was only one bag? Where's the other 238 bags?

What kind of bag would be on the aircraft that would float and there was only one?
Sadly first thought... a diaper bag?
Backpack?
:dunno:
They didn't call it a suitcase...or luggage.
moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Is there any chance that a passenger could have had a waterproof cell phone that was located by GPS through their cell provider as a last known location? I know they can even be turned on remotely now...
Can you imagine if the plane was located due to a lost phone???
Yet they can't find a lost plane for 3 weeks! That plane should be pinging. And the black box should be floating,not on the ocean floor.
moo

What kind of bag would be on the aircraft that would float and there was only one?
Backpack?
moo

Oh wow, great thought gngr snap. Or would diapers get soggy and weigh it down? I wonder how long other suitcases would float?

Oh wow, great thought gngr snap. Or would diapers get soggy and weigh it down? I wonder how long other suitcases would float?

I was just thinking about how some bags are plastic and lined with a thin type of foam... the stuff might.fall out and sink but the bag would float.

I'm a bit confused but I think it's outside of Australia's territory. It's international waters and not in Australia's jurisdiction. But it is in our search and rescue zone. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's right what Australia is doing.

http://www.ga.gov.au/marine/jurisdiction/maritime-boundary-definitions.html
It cost 38 million dollars - here is the fleet they used
Canadian Coast Guard shipsCCGS Hudson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, CCGS Mary Hichens, CCGS Simon Fraser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, CCGS Earl Grey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, CCGS Matthew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and CCGS Sambro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (initial tasking - first government vessel on scene)[16]
There were also several CCG helicopters (model MBB Bo 105 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), RHIBs, and auxiliary vessels which assisted.
Canadian Forces warshipsHMCS Kingston (MM 700), HMCS Preserver (AOR 510), HMCS Ville de Québec (FFH 332), HMCS Halifax (FFH 330), HMCS Glace Bay (MM 701), HMCS Goose Bay (MM 707), HMCS Moncton (MM 708), HMCS Anticosti (MSA 110)[14]
There were also several RCAF CH-124 Sea King anti-submarine warfare helicopters, as well as RCN RHIBs which assisted.
Canadian Forces submarinesHMCS Okanagan (S74)[14]
Canadian Forces auxiliary vesselsCFAV Sechelt (YDT 610), CFAV Granby (YDT 12), CFAV Glenevis (YTB 642)[14]
The HMCS Preserver was assigned as the on-scene commander of Operation Persistence and had authority over all aircraft and vessels within the area surrounding the crash site.

CARIIS, thank you so much for all the research you've been doing! The Malaysia Airlines accidents post from earlier today was very interesting too!

I learn a lot here! It is an amazing story...like most aviation investigations! Sad circumstance, for sure, but at one level it is so neat to see, when folks get to see into this , it really is fascinating.

And have not gotten to the investigation yet that stuff is really amazing!

Hopefully, when all the political stuff fades NTSB can move to the top and get rolling!

CARIIS, thank you so much for all the research you've been doing! The Malaysia Airlines accidents post from earlier today was very interesting too!

I was just rewatching a show on that plane in Brazil that crashed after colliding with a smaller jet due to ATC errors. The smaller jet was state of the art, but its transponder failed. It had originally been on another plane, and was malfunctioning. They repaired it and put it on the new plane after extensively testing it. When the transponder failed, ground radar took over, and it was described as "wildly inaccurate" in certain situations and that the pilots may not notice that the transponder has failed. They thought the plane was going way up and down and that the pilots were showing off on their new jet, but that was just the radar giving weird readings. They couldn't find an issue with the transponder and now think that a pilot accidentally turned it off while familiarizing himself with the new jet's features (this was the first flight and was kind of a test). He knew how to fly the plane, but some of the monitoring/nonessential aspects of it (estimated arrival time) were not where he was used to and he had to figure them out. Seems very relevant to this case. Not saying that's what happened, but it indicates that some of the erratic flying people have been building theories on could mean nothing.

ETA: Apparently you could accidentally turn off the transponder using the feetrest in this case - the U.S. issued recommendations saying that should no longer be possible, and that an alarm should go off. So I assume things have changed.

I see you enjoy the "Air Crash Investigation" series as much as I do. Good point about how reported data isn't always correct and isn't found out until much later.

Backpack?
moo

Barf bag?

I see you enjoy the "Air Crash Investigation" series as much as I do. Good point about how reported data isn't always correct and isn't found out until much later.

I have been watching that show constantly since this plane disappeared.
My DH's dream job is NTSB and I corrected him on a plane crash detail last night.
He is grateful that this phase will pass because this is HIS area. :floorlaugh:

CNN Don Lemon show is interesting tonight. Lemon and Quest arguing openly, experts " correcting" other experts "gross misstatements." Great drama.

Update live on cnn

Hishammuddin Bin Tun Hussein speaks with press-
As long as there is remote chance for survivors we will do whatever it takes
We are Working with the families.

Still no plane...

Attachments

• 3weeks.jpg
    3weeks.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
Our 5pm TV News on Ch 7 is just reporting that two Malaysian Hercules have now arrived at Pearce airforce base, and are readying to join the search tomorrow.

Push to take control: Australia to lead the probe into MH370

International conventions covering aviation accidents require the country of origin of the aircraft to launch an investigation and secure the wreckage - in this case Malaysia.

But Australia has the facilities in Canberra to download the data from the black box flight recorder. In the region, Singapore, Indonesia and Japan have this capability, but it is understood that Malaysia does not.

Indeed, Australian Transport Safety Bureau Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan stressed on Friday that any wreckage recovered needed initially to be brought to Australia.

Under the arrangement, Malaysian investigators would travel to Australia to carry out any work on the wreckage. Malaysia would still lead the investigation but would be assisted by counterparts from Australia, Britain and the US.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/push-to...-into-mh370-20140328-35onf.html#ixzz2xKkbzcGk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurse4home