Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article was behind a paywall, then open for viewing. I have it open on a tab right now. Wondering how to bring it over so people can read it in full, since they took it down. It's not a short article.

Let me ask a Mod.....

I believe it's not allowed if it's behind a paywall. I'm sure a mod can verify, though. :seeya:

I do not think a young man is the type of person the co-pilot would invite into the *advertiser censored* pit.
I could be wrong... but I think he had one motive in mind inviting the girls in.
He even wanted them to change their plans and go out with him that night.

Also, the statement the pilot made was to ATC wasn't it?
When they were told they were switching into Vietnamese airspace?

There is a picture of the co-pilot in the cockpit with a man somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: here it is - I guess my point is this - someone willing to break security protocol is... willing to break security protocol.

Photo of First Officer Fariq Abd Hamid onboard MH370 and CNN reporter Richard Quest shared on social media Image via therakyatpost.com

e852.jpg

http://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/262590/e852.jpg

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-malaysia-plane-missing-20140313,0,1253313.story

lengthy article.

"Tribune staff and wire reports

12:30 p.m. CDT, March 13, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia—

Communications satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 after it went missing on Saturday, but the signals gave no indication about where the stray jet was heading nor its technical condition, a source close to the investigation said on Thursday.

The "pings" equated to an indication that the aircraft's maintenance troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate with satellites if needed, but no links were opened because Malaysia Airlines and others had not subscribed to the full troubleshooting service, the source said.

Two sources familiar with the investigation into the disappearance of the jet five days ago also confirmed that manufacturers Boeing and Rolls-Royce did not receive any maintenance data from the jet after the point at which its pilots last made contact. Only one engine maintenance update was received during the normal phase of flight, they said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Boeing and Rolls-Royce declined comment"

BBM

Does this mean just communicate with satellite or does this mean there was some sort of problem with the plane?

Hopefully the pings help get a better idea of where it could be.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-malaysia-plane-missing-20140313,0,1253313.story

lengthy article.

"Tribune staff and wire reports

12:30 p.m. CDT, March 13, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia—

Communications satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 after it went missing on Saturday, but the signals gave no indication about where the stray jet was heading nor its technical condition, a source close to the investigation said on Thursday.

The "pings" equated to an indication that the aircraft's maintenance troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate with satellites if needed, but no links were opened because Malaysia Airlines and others had not subscribed to the full troubleshooting service, the source said.

Two sources familiar with the investigation into the disappearance of the jet five days ago also confirmed that manufacturers Boeing and Rolls-Royce did not receive any maintenance data from the jet after the point at which its pilots last made contact. Only one engine maintenance update was received during the normal phase of flight, they said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Boeing and Rolls-Royce declined comment"

Now it all makes sense...well some of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...688034-aa68-11e3-b61e-8051b8b52d06_story.html

"Burma said it would open its airspace to planes looking for the missing airliner and was prepared to join the search if asked, the BBC reported.

Earlier, the Wall Street Journal said U.S. investigators now believe that Flight 370 remained in the air for four hours after its last confirmed location. That report, quoting two unidentified sources familiar with the U.S. investigation, cited evidence from flight data from the Boeing 777’s engines — information that the report said is automatically transmitted to the ground."
bbm

I'm not sure what happened.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...3903086282.html?mod=_mst_param_LINKMODPREFIX_

That one should work. If you go to WSJ's site and click on the "World" section, the headline is: U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane Flew On for Hours. It is located under the larger headline of: "Malaysia Officials Say They Received No Engine-Monitoring Data," ironically lol.

It appears they've made major changes to the original article and URL/link and now the link sammi89 posted is working, but it's not the same story. The headline and images are different. Because both articles are not brief, it would take some time to analyze all of the other differences.

For example:

The original article headline:
Missing Airplane Flew On for Hours
Engine Data Suggest Malaysia Flight Was Airborne Long After Radar Disappearance, U.S. Investigators Say
(snip)
U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines 3786.KU -2.04% Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

The new headline:
U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane Flew On for Hours
Engine Data Suggest Malaysia Flight Was Airborne Long After Radar Disappearance
(snip)
Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours, based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. BA -1.98% 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.

That raises a host of new questions and possibilities about what happened aboard the widebody jet carrying 239 people, which vanished from civilian air-traffic control radar over the weekend, about one hour into a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

I hope this makes sense. ETA: to clarify, the original article was initially behind a paywall.. There were several posts about it, and MsF was posting tweets, as we weren't able to access it at first. The WSJ removed the paywall. That's the only reason I was able to see the entire article, which is now unavailable (and appears to have been rewritten). :)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-live-3236617
bbm
"Satellites picked up 'electronic ping' from missing flight MH370 after it lost contact with ground control"

"More details now on the 'electronic ping'.

A source close to the investigation said communications satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 after it went missing on Saturday.

However, the signals gave no indication about where the stray jet was heading nor its technical condition.

The "pings" equated to an indication that the aircraft’s maintenance troubleshooting systems were ready to communicate with satellites if needed, but no links were opened because Malaysia Airlines and others had not subscribed to the full troubleshooting service, the source said.
5:02 pm

BREAKING: Sources close to the investigation have told Reuters that satellites picked up an "electronic ping" from Malaysian flight MH370 after it lost contact with ground control.

More on this as we get it."

BBM

Does this mean just communicate with satellite or does this mean there was some sort of problem with the plane?

Hopefully the pings help get a better idea of where it could be.

I think it just means it was ready to report any updates on the plane...as it does every 30 minutes automatically when subscribed to. iirc

There is a picture of the co-pilot in the cockpit with a man somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: here it is - I guess my point is this - someone willing to break security protocol is... willing to break security protocol.

I totally agree with you. (Though I see a reporter as different than just a regular person for some reason.)
Do we have any indication that the Pilot was willing to break security protocol though?
Because he would be the one in charge and if he was strict on security, I'm less likely to believe he'd allow it.
The Co-pilot was flying with a different pilot when the other incidents occurred.

As far as India is concerned:

India’s navy set up a search zone for the missing Malaysian airliner in the Andaman Sea, hundreds of miles off the course of Flight 370, as evidence mounted that the plane kept flying after controllers lost contact.

The new search, spurred by a tip from Malaysia (MAS)’s navy, covers 35,000 square kilometers (13,514 square miles) off the northern tip of Sumatra, Indonesia’s largest island. That is on the opposite side of Malaysia from the plane’s intended path to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

India’s navy is searching primarily in waters just north of Banda Aceh, Indonesia, “but we are also searching the Andaman and Nicobar island areas north to south tomorrow,” said Harmit Singh, a navy spokesman in the Andaman Nicobar region. “Some areas to the west of Andaman and Nicobar are also being planned. The areas of search are being given by Malaysia.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...n-jet-said-to-have-flown-with-beacon-off.html

That picture is from a media event. (Richard Quest is a journalist, often seen on CNN):

Fariq had a brief brush with fame when he appeared in a CNN travel segment with the network's correspondent Richard Quest in February, in which Fariq helped fly a plane from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...plane-under-scrutiny/articleshow/31948010.cms

The gentleman shown in the photo has spoken about this multiple times this week. I think he was working on a story at the time,

it's Richard Quest! He's among other things CNN's aviation expert and he's hugely famous on CNN international. He was on a story for CNN's travel show.

It appears they've made major changes to the original article and URL/link and now the link sammi89 posted is working, but it's not the same story. The headline and images are different. Because both articles are not brief, it would take some time to analyze all of the other differences.

For example:

The original article headline:
Missing Airplane Flew On for Hours
Engine Data Suggest Malaysia Flight Was Airborne Long After Radar Disappearance, U.S. Investigators Say
(snip)
U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines 3786.KU -2.04% Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

The new headline:
U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane Flew On for Hours
Engine Data Suggest Malaysia Flight Was Airborne Long After Radar Disappearance
(snip)
Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours, based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. BA -1.98% 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.

That raises a host of new questions and possibilities about what happened aboard the widebody jet carrying 239 people, which vanished from civilian air-traffic control radar over the weekend, about one hour into a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

I hope this makes sense.

Yes, exactly. The quote from an unnamed RR executive stating it is "officially an accident" is still included in the updated article. I think it might very well just be what others have stated - a word not to be taken at face value - but there you have it.

I think there is a lot of contradicting information on other news sources at the moment, but I am not sure if that is because WSJ has done a poor job reporting or if it just that different countries and organizations are contradicting each other (or both). Very frustrating though.

Very weird ..imo.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03...ing-malaysian-air-flight-370-find-only-holes/

"FlightRadar24, another real-time flight tracking app, immediately sought to analyze its data following the plane’s disappearance. The site appears to have slightly more data, tracking flight 370 for another 15 or so minutes. Yet it, too, could not track the plane completely.

“Between [1:19 a.m. and 1:20 a.m. Malaysian time] the aircraft was changing heading from 25 to 40 degrees, which is probably completely according to flight plan as MH370 on both 4 March and 8 March did the same at the same position,” explains a post on the company’s Facebook page. “Last two signals are both showing that the aircraft is heading in direction 40 degrees.”

Then the company lost track of the plane. It did not receive any emergency “squawk” alerts.

That data comes from the ADS-B transponder on the plane -- the so called black box -- which transmits a plane’s location twice per second. Roughly 60 percent of all passenger aircraft are equipped with transponders that beam out such data, the company said.

Flightradar 24 claims to have a network of more than 3,000 ADS-B receivers around the world that receive pings from planes. But even so, locating aircraft can be a challenge.

“Due to the high frequency used (1090-MHz) the coverage from each receiver is limited to about 150-250 miles in all directions depending on location,” the company explains. “The farther away from the receiver an aircraft is flying, the higher it must fly to be covered by the receiver. The distance limit makes it very hard to get ADS-B coverage over oceans.”

True, but someone planning to hijack a plane doesn't count on being invited into the cockpit as part of his plan.

New information has led to the possibility of opening a new search area in the Indian Ocean for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, White House spokesman Jay Carney said today. Many countries are partnering in the search and "following leads where we find them," he said.

Flight 370 disappeared Saturday after taking off from Kuala Lumpur. It was headed to Beijing with 239 people on board. The Indian Ocean is in the opposite direction of the plane's flight path.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

The Strait is the same area where they found the body in a life vest and an empty, deflated raft.

Not that that means anything to this story because neither one of these were linked, at the time, to the plane.

I never heard about this. Can you link me, if possible?

It doesn't take a crisis management expert to see that.

Malaysia is acting like a Banana Republic. Embarrassing. And frustrating.

You can stand at the cockpit doors and look in (and even be invited to sit down), on most flights, BEFORE the plane takes off. Even post 9/11.

I know this because due to my fear of flying (which used to be a phobia), I often ask to talk to the pilots, ask them about weather conditions, possible turbulence, etc., before I sit down. They have ALWAYS been gracious and allowed that. The cockpit is open before the flight takes off. The pilots and flight attendants are very accommodating and friendly. I can easily see them allowing a reporter to pose for photo in the cockpit before takeoff and that should nt be against policy, unless perhaps all the controls are shown.

For those that are wondering what is happening in Russia and Ukraine...

Here is one of today's Head Lines...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/world/europe/ukraine.html?_r=0

RUSSIA MASSING MILITARY FORCES NEAR BORDER WITH UKRAINE

(More at link above...)

HTH...:seeya:

Oh boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online