Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This really upsets me! The ticket agent should have been counting people in the first place so that this never happened. The agent should have known how many employees had to get on that flight before he started loading it! The mistake is at the ticket agents desk.

Next, only employees that need that flight to get them to their connecting city for their flight in a timely manner are permitted on an overbooked flight. For example, the employee cannot go hours ahead of their time to report if there is a later flight that will get them to the city in time to report to work. There are rules for this.

Every person on that flight, in a seat, has the freedom to fly or take the bump. There are different reasons for each person and no one should be forced to give up their seat! Where are our rights and freedoms!

The first thing that comes to mind is IF you checked luggage and bump to another flight, what are the chances of losing your luggage? Great, in my opinion in the world today!

Lastly, this mans background is of no concern to any of us. This one incident is of prime importance and needs to be dealt with only! There are few of us that would like to be ORDERED off a plane! Each of us would have a different reaction, many would not go quietly. IMO

If you are bumped to another flight, government regulations dictate that baggage needs to be offloaded, no airline will carry a piece of luggage without the said passenger, consequently that piece will follow them on their designated flight.

First of all, this mans occupation, income, past, and family are all completely irrelevant to the situation at hand,

Second of all, I don't know what all the fuss is about, it's all right there in this mans UA ticket agreement....he is agreeing to these terms when he purchases his ticket....

Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:
  • Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 15 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.
  • The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.

Get up and get off the damn plane when your told to do so....people are booted off flights every day at every airport in the entire world

If passengers are booted off planes all the time how come we haven't seen this before?

Not if 'boarding' is equivelant to 'travel'. My bet is that the fact that he was seated does not preclude him from being bumped.

Okay so let's say it is an international flight (or maybe not). You check in receive a boarding pass all in timely manner, baggage goes into the hold. Pass through security, passport stamped, boarding pass offered and accepted for boarding, ushered to your seat. Then your yanked off a flight !!!!!

In catch up mode at the moment. I find it extremely hard to believe that a full flight (was is a 767) that nobody elected to take the money spend a night and get the next burner out. I have worked in the airline industry for 38 years. It doesn't work this way. You are not offered a boarding card ushered to your seat to be offloaded. Once all of the seats have been allocated those remaining at check in go on standby, and are denied before before they get on their flight. A dead heading crew will take priority. My guess is that the dead heading crew came after all pax boarded and they needed one extra seat. Also as a crew member myself the last person you want to offload is a DOCTOR. Crew will always refresh themselves with the manifest especially if it is a long haul flight to see if you have a doctor on board for obvious reasons. As for the attorney he can be utilised later once this man has sued the company for a few million. Gee $800 bucks and a free meal seems. I believe United have been in chapter 11 several times wonder how this will effect the bottom line.

Where are you getting the information that this was a 767 aircraft? The information I found for United for Chicago to Lexington shows the aircraft as a Embraer erj 145---that holds around 50 passengers .

Sigh, he purchased a ticket subject to conditions that he agreed to. Airlines do have the ability bump people and have done so for generations.

They will also be bumping people today, tomorrow and next year. If you think that you cannot be bumped, you are mistaken. Likewise, trying to enter a commerical plane after being told not to is risking injury.

They can blossom, however after certain conditions.

Where are you getting the information that this was a 767 aircraft? The information I found for United for Chicago to Lexington shows the aircraft as a Embraer erj 145---that holds around 50 passengers .

That's what I said (was is it a 767) ??? At the end of the day does it matter.

I've been bumped from one flight and one paid-for reserved train seat for a long-planned trip. Each was disappointing of course, but not worth causing a scene, throwing a tantrum, etc. because it wasn't the fault of the flight attendants or the train attendant or the other passengers and it wouldn't have changed anything for the better. I sucked it up and considered it a pay-it-forward that someone else could get on their way to something life changing perhaps or even something that was just plain silly fun. Stuff happens. Good stuff happens to me far more than negative; maybe it's the way I view it. Not saying mean people don't try their best to be nasty or hurtful, they do.

I'm pretty sure that not many people like having to tell a passenger they have to leave their flight or trip. I handled each episode in a different way and none involved having a tantrum.

The older I get, the less of a shrinking violet I am (obviously) but I pick my battles and choose not to add unnecessary stress to myself by getting angry about something that's not life-changing. There are many other things in the world that deserve people's anger and action.

How we handle disappointments affects our health and general happiness. I don't want to have a stroke or a heart attack or cause someone else misery by being a jerk myself.

It's all well and good to be right legally, but it doesn't mean **** in reality. This guy's reality was physical damage, he embarrassed himself, some of his past deeds have been published for all who cares to read about them.

He may have been legally within his rights, but it didn't matter at the moment. Some will say that his probable huge payoff will make it better. Not worth it to me. No amount of money would make me want to risk being physically harmed even if it was incidental.

We're all individuals who have different thoughts on what is right for ourselves.

:peace:

I had similar thoughts last night, but could never express them as well as you did. The thanks button is not enough.

Bravo :clap::clap::clap:

Worked on a CRJ and smaller. It is possible.

Hi !

Only flew her once with Delta I was delightfully surprised -real sharp and zesty little gal!! Was a joy to only have 1 person next to you instead of 4!!

What is your favorite? Only allowed one! I am old I loved the L-1011
C9QD3omW0AESjYb.jpg

The plane was full of other people with important (at least to them) plans and needs as well. There is no indication that the doctor presented evidence of a pending surgery the next morning that would warrant de-selecting him as a "volunteer". So, the fact pattern is:

- A human (neither his social status, nor the social status of his children matter), bought a ticket whose contract allows modifications to be made to the arrangements.
- He then repeatedly refuses to adhere to the contract. Perhaps he thinks that he is exempt?
- Once the contract is enforced, he tries to force his way back on the plane (bad idea after 9-11).
- The humanis is educated. He knows that following 9-11, disruptions on planes of any sort, by any person, for any motivation are taken very seriously. This is true even for doctors.
- He then wonders why force was used..... .

United would wish that I was on the jury. I don't see the guy as a martyr at all. This is doubly so after he forced himself back on the plane. After 9-11 disruptions on planes are ended quickly. It does not matter whether the person in question is a doctor or an unemployed refugee from Iraq.

They don't apply in this case. Each ticket is sold with a clause allowing for bumping. People are free use their economic freedom to establish their own airline with different rules, to not enter into the contract by buying a ticket, or to say, hire a private charter aircraft.

Also I read on a Daily Mail article that he was told he was being bumped BEFORE he boarded the aircraft but he refused then, was rude and kept going onto the plane and took his seat without permission. If it was so important the he arrive the next morning for patients, why didn't his wife offer to deplane instead? I predict he told a lie about having appointments the next morning! I also read a comment on DM where someone said he caused the bleeding himself but biting his lip.

Just trying to look at two sides to the story.

When he forced his way back on the plane (a very bad idea after 9-11- it does not matter what his social status is), and then continued to resist, he risked injury to himself. In this case, the injury was relatively minor.

What happened after he forced himself onto the plane again? Did they take him off again? Is he in hospital in Chicago now?

What is now really pissing me off is how they are now exposing his past records. (medical?)

Does this mean they will now expose the crew's and employees past records for everyone to see?
How dare them, so inconsiderate. Hasn't United already done enough to this guy?

MOO

The media has exposed his past background not Untied!

If passengers are booted off planes all the time how come we haven't seen this before?

I think what flew this into a frenzy was it was a deadheading crew which changed the whole dynamic. I have never heard of forcing either.

But in most instances, it is "just" (only word that came to mind) fellow passengers

In its entirety poorly thought out IMO. Because of ruckus, I doubt the deadheading crew made their flight causing a ruckus on that end.

This aircraft now runs late throughout its work day - just a mess

Both types are regional jets - small aircraft with the comfort of their bigger counterparts. But these guys are usually run on short segments - so in all likelihood the ruckus probably delayed a lot of segments cause they are usually up and down up and down up and down. (as opposed to a long haul where the ruckus would have probably only resulted in that fight itself being dealyed (plus the one for the dead heading.

A lot of employees for the airlines do this - every flight they have is live somewhere else and deadhead in. They better hope this had been an urgent situation as opposed to 4 employees who just messed up on their own and did not get to where they needed to be casue THEY messed up !!

Also I read on a Daily Mail article that he was told he was being bumped BEFORE he boarded the aircraft but he refused then, was rude and kept going onto the plane and took his seat without permission. If it was so important the he arrive the next morning for patients, why didn't his wife offer to deplane instead? I predict he told a lie about having appointments the next morning! I also read a comment on DM where someone said he caused the bleeding himself but biting his lip.

Just trying to look at two sides to the story.

I've been looking for that article but having no luck. Anyone have a link?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX
Back