Max's Scooter

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "hanging room" was not RZ's room. She slept, kept her clothes in and used the bathroom in the master bedroom that she shared with JS. The MBR is located on the other side of the house.

The "murder room" was used occasionally as a computer room by the family and guests.

Do you have a link showing that RZ told anyone that Max was injured "in the bedroom" or are you just putting it out there as a hypothetical scenario?

As information, the attachment below is a floor plan of the second floor at the mansion, showing the path RZ took from the MB bathroom to where she was found dead in the "murder room".

As for your assertions about the "old timers" in the forum, could you offer something concrete to back up your accusations?

This has been a difficult case for everyone to follow. Not only has information trickled out very slowly over the last 2 years, the powerful and wealth people behind the crime have engaged in threatening behavior towards anyone who questions the official SDSO findings. Yes, some forum members have changed their minds over the years as new information comes to light about the crime and old myths are discredited. People here have been careful to keep an open mind when examining facts and evidence. That's why we'd like to see the investigation re-opened, one way or another.

Attachments

• spreckelsfloorplan2.jpg
    spreckelsfloorplan2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
http://www.maxshacknai.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Maxie1.jpg

Looking at Max's face, I'm wondering if he could have been hit with the scooter in the face. Two dots on face... two dots on newel post.

I remember the Michael Peterson case, where he threw her down the stairs to cover up how he murdered her... oh see, just a fall down the stairs!!!

JMO
[/QUOTE]

Several expert pediatricians at Rady and the county ME all conducted an extensive examination of MS prior to and after his death. He was, after all, the only son of a very wealthy, powerful local citizen. They determined his COD to be the result of trauma to his brain and spinal cord as the result of a fall.

These experts weren't about to lie or cover something up in such a precarious situation where their careers and livelihoods would be on the line. Of course, JS also had no reason to influence these experts into covering up child abuse.

The "hanging room" was not RZ's room. She slept, kept her clothes in and used the bathroom in the master bedroom that she shared with JS. The MBR is located on the other side of the house.

The "murder room" was used occasionally as a computer room by the family and guests.

Do you have a link showing that RZ told anyone that Max was injured "in the bedroom" or are you just putting it out there as a hypothetical scenario?

As information, the attachment below is a floor plan of the second floor at the mansion, showing the path RZ took from the MB bathroom to where she was found dead in the "murder room".

As for your assertions about the "old timers" in the forum, could you offer something concrete to back up your accusations?

This has been a difficult case for everyone to follow. Not only has information trickled out very slowly over the last 2 years, the powerful and wealth people behind the crime have engaged in threatening behavior towards anyone who questions the official SDSO findings. Yes, some forum members have changed their minds over the years as new information comes to light about the crime and old myths are discredited. People here have been careful to keep an open mind when examining facts and evidence. That's why we'd like to see the investigation re-opened, one way or another.

My (our) theory, because I could not have figured this out alone without this forum, may need a little revising as follows: The swinging scooter alone could've generated enough momentum that, when leveraged by the steerer tube, as evidenced by the damage on the edge of the newel post pointing to the chandelier, likely catapulted Maxie over the lower part of the banister even if he wasn't running.

He might've just been trying to lift it to put it on his right shoulder to take it downstairs when the accident happen. It must've hit him hard when it swung in his direction, causing that unexplained injury on his right shoulder. So he reacted to the pain and let it swing in the opposite direction away from him, hitting the banister. Their combined COG was much higher than either of the so-called expertes so beautifully graphed and/or described - much higher than the lower part of the banister, where he would've ended up as he went down one step trying to hold on to the scooter.

And, thus, 40-pound Maxie found himself at the other end of a long metal lever with a 7 pound scooter on the other end swinging wildly in a counter-clockwise direction (when viewed from the top), and a banister much lower than their combined COG where he in no doubt went over the top. The force of the swinging 7-pound scooter then damaging the top of the chandelier and knocking it down.

If LE had only taken the trouble to figure this out and explain to his Mother properly, it would've spared the Zahaus an unimaginable amount of grief and pain these last two years. I so feel for them.

In summary, it was in my sincere opinion a collaborative finding; and, if someone is to blame for his death, it is his Parents for allowing the scooter in the house, let alone on the second-story hallway with such a low banister. :banghead:

I wrote and meant old-timers on this thread as in those who've spent a long time on this thread, regardless of how young you are. My apologies if it was taken in any other way. Far be it from me calling anyone an old-timer because I'm certainly no spring chicken.

As to the childish accusations being made, I am working hard to bring these findings to the public without having to reveal my identity. And the best way I could think of doing this was to give you all proper credit for the insight you've accumulated over two years and use this forum to get the word out. But if you don't want to play with me, I could not possibly care less.

:seeya:

This has been a difficult case for everyone to follow. Not only has information trickled out very slowly over the last 2 years, the powerful and wealth people behind the crime have engaged in threatening behavior towards anyone who questions the official SDSO findings.

Yes, some forum members have changed their minds over the years as new information comes to light about the crime and old myths are discredited. People here have been careful to keep an open mind when examining facts and evidence. That's why we'd like to see the investigation re-opened, one way or another.

ON TOPIC: Sorry, I hadn't noticed your post/question earlier. NR stated it, twice, if I remember correctly during that very long sound-only (don't remember if it was by phone or on radio) interview. I don't have the link handy, but you can no doubt find it in all those old threads you referred me to the other day. OFF TOPIC: Do you get my point now? I am not trying to keep something going between us, I am just trying to make the point that we can accomplish much more if we agree to please welcome newcomers, play nice with them, and collaboratively? :sos:

Can you please tell me where I can find any evidence of anyone here being intimidated or "threatened" without also just sending me to the 'archive'?

As to Maxie's case being reopened, I don't know if it would be reopened if our new theory should eventually show how the accident happened. Only if it had proven otherwise. However, I too would hope that it be reopened anyway only because of its intrinsicate connectiont to Rebecca's cases. Both families deserve answers. The Systers as well as the Mother. :please:

My (our) theory, because I could not have figured this out alone without this forum, may need a little revising as follows: The swinging scooter alone could've generated enough momentum that, when leveraged by the steerer tube, as evidenced by the damage on the edge of the newel post pointing to the chandelier, likely catapulted Maxie over the lower part of the banister even if he wasn't running.

He might've just been trying to lift it to put it on his right shoulder to take it downstairs when the accident happen. It must've hit him hard when it swung in his direction, causing that unexplained injury on his right shoulder. So he reacted to the pain and let it swing in the opposite direction away from him, hitting the banister. Their combined COG was much higher than either of the so-called expertes so beautifully graphed and/or described - much higher than the lower part of the banister, where he would've ended up as he went down one step trying to hold on to the scooter.

And, thus, 40-pound Maxie found himself at the other end of a long metal lever with a 7 pound scooter on the other end swinging wildly in a counter-clockwise direction (when viewed from the top), and a banister much lower than their combined COG where he in no doubt went over the top. The force of the swinging 7-pound scooter then damaging the top of the chandelier and knocking it down.

If LE had only taken the trouble to figure this out and explain to his Mother properly, it would've spared the Zahaus an unimaginable amount of grief and pain these last two years. I so feel for them.

In summary, it was in my sincere opinion a collaborative finding; and, if someone is to blame for his death, it is his Parents for allowing the scooter in the house, let alone on the second-story hallway with such a low banister. :banghead:

It's an interesting theory, something to consider. I've always thought, if the scooter was involved in the accident, that it was something that could have happened easily, given the low level of the bannister on the stairway.

OTOH, Ann Bremner was also quoted as saying an investigator told her it was a "planking" accident. In that scenario, the scooter could have been parked at the bottom of the stairwell and fell over on him after he landed below. Bremner served as the Zahau family's attorney at the beginning of the case and had numerous conversations with the law enforcement and medical professionals who handled the investigation. She would have a lot to lose, professionally speaking, if she was not honest about that. In addition, very early media coverage (much of which was later changed or "scrubbed" reported on the "planking" accident story.

I'm not sure all the scrapes on the newel post are relevant, maybe they are, maybe not. Some of them could have been from previous scrapes, when moving furniture, etc. in the house.

The one thing I'm convinced of is that MS's death was an accident. Had it been murder, one of the many medical experts would have figured it out and reported it as such. They had no motivation to put their careers on the line to cover up a murder of a child.

Several expert pediatricians at Rady and the county ME all conducted an extensive examination of MS prior to and after his death. He was, after all, the only son of a very wealthy, powerful local citizen. They determined his COD to be the result of trauma to his brain and spinal cord as the result of a fall.

These experts weren't about to lie or cover something up in such a precarious situation where their careers and livelihoods would be on the line. Of course, JS also had no reason to influence these experts into covering up child abuse.

BBM Hi Betty P, I agree with every single posts you've written today. But are you referring to Dina as the "very wealthy, powerful local citizen"? Because while Max was the only son (and child) of Dina, Jonah had a teen daughter and TWO sons -- Max and a teen son.

XZ was staying in the "hanging room" with the balcony. Not sure if this is taken from MS' room, which would be the front room on right facing ocean.

Carioca, where did you get this info that XZ was staying in the "hanging room"?

BBM Hi Betty P, I agree with every single posts you've written today. But are you referring to Dina as the "very wealthy, powerful local citizen"? Because while Max was the only son (and child) of Dina, Jonah had a teen daughter and TWO sons -- Max and a teen son.

Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten!:blushing: We must stay on our toes and keep all of our facts straight!!!! :scared:

To echo Betty, it is an interesting theory. I saw that you posted the theory on the Max's back injuries thread and have volunteered to provide drawings that demonstrate your theory. Will be anxious to see them.

Since the banister images of the markings/gouges were aired on Dr. Phil along with the images of the paint transfers to the scooter, I have had to rethink my initial theory. The new evidence did not support it. I'm confused though because I was nearly certain that I had seen one image from the inside of the balcony (chandelier side) with a gouge near the floor either on the newel post or on an adjacent post. Has anyone else seen a similar photo? If I remember correctly, it was one of the ads for that Dr. Phil show.

Anne Bremner was quoted saying the investigators told her that Max's death was the result of a "planking " accident and that Max 's sisters were present as well. They told her RZ was in the shower at the time.

That seems to be the most valid account. Endless discussions of paint scrapes, etc don't add much to solving the crime.

I do recall Anne Bremner initially stated Max's siblings were present. I'm not sure if you meant to say sisters or siblings in your comment above, but I recall Anne Bremner said siblings.

JMO.

Interesting ideas. I wonder if anyone ever saw Max carry his scooter over his shoulder?

IIRC, the scooter was a birthday gift, and so he had not had it very long. It has never been revealed who bought it for him-- and I think that info could be very interesting if it was Dina or Jonah who purchased it for Max.

As a new/ novel toy, it sounds like he played with it indoors a lot in the days leading up to the fall. XZ was quoted in her LE interview as saying Maxie was excited to demonstrate and show her how he could ride his scooter. XZ said Max did this indoors and upstairs in the hallway.

IMO, everyone in the house knew Max had his scooter upstairs, and since no adult (parent) insisted it be taken outside, that appears to me to be tacit approval of this activity indoors.

Added thought.
The model Max had weighed 8.25 pounds, according to the specs on the amazon ad.

On one occasion my oldest was playing outdoors with a friend, and they were both intentionally spinning the razor scooter deck in a circle OVER their heads, holding the stem up high like a flagpole. I put a stop to that as soon as I saw it. But your ideas abut the scooter over his shoulder gave me a flashback to that experience. Certainly 8.25 pounds above a child's waist would change their COG. I suppose it's possible he was swinging the scooter in an exuberant fashion, or playing out an imaginary scenario, and that changed his COG enough to cause the fall. Makes more sense to me that a 6 yo would do something like that, rather than try to balance on the newel post or something. He was quite an active, physical little boy, from all indications and comments.

This is a youtube video of one very exhuberent person with a scooter. He can barely remain standing. I'm not suggesting Max was swinging the scooter like this, but using it to illustrate what kids sometimes spontaneously do with these scooters. I think the scooter was involved in the fall somehow. (And I think the person who purchased the scooter for Max probably has a lot of guilt about it being involved in the accident that killed him. JMO.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qzZRy1yq8"]me spinning a scooter - YouTube[/ame]

To echo Betty, it is an interesting theory. I saw that you posted the theory on the Max's back injuries thread and have volunteered to provide drawings that demonstrate your theory. Will be anxious to see them.

Since the banister images of the markings/gouges were aired on Dr. Phil along with the images of the paint transfers to the scooter, I have had to rethink my initial theory. The new evidence did not support it. I'm confused though because I was nearly certain that I had seen one image from the inside of the balcony (chandelier side) with a gouge near the floor either on the newel post or on an adjacent post. Has anyone else seen a similar photo? If I remember correctly, it was one of the ads for that Dr. Phil show.

The best photos I was able to find are all included in Dr. Bove's Report.

BettyP posted a link to a PDF copy of the report (#25). Unfortunately it was converted to PDF and in the conversion the photos lost their quality. Fortunately, *Lash" then posted information on where to find the actual report with the best photos (#138). And, much to my surprise, before I had even seen her reply, someone whose alias I cannot remember (my PMs are all immediately deleted) had already sent me a soft copy (file) with the actual report. That's what I call true teamwork!

BTW, the photos we're working with are on pp. 8-9 of the report (not the PDF file). Do you remember that guard over the rear wheel? Do you see the damage on the edge about three posts down? It was noted on a LE report and then ignored, like so much more evidence in both cases - even by both of Dina's no doubt expensive experts.

The "Summary Report", for example, starts by stating that any scenario must account for all the "scene findings" in the case - awesome start! Then it goes on to simply attribute the damage to the scooter without really explaining how the scooter came into contact with those areas of the banister and newel post. In other words, the report failed to fulfill that promised made in the introduction!

Not surprised at all, however, we have a saying in IT: Hire a consultant when you want an expert to tell your boss what you want them to hear!

Interesting ideas. I wonder if anyone ever saw Max carry his scooter over his shoulder?

IIRC, the scooter was a birthday gift, and so he had not had it very long. It has never been revealed who bought it for him-- and I think that info could be very interesting if it was Dina or Jonah who purchased it for Max.

As a new/ novel toy, it sounds like he played with it indoors a lot in the days leading up to the fall. XZ was quoted in her LE interview as saying Maxie was excited to demonstrate and show her how he could ride his scooter. XZ said Max did this indoors and upstairs in the hallway.

IMO, everyone in the house knew Max had his scooter upstairs, and since no adult (parent) insisted it be taken outside, that appears to me to be tacit approval of this activity indoors.

Added thought.
The model Max had weighed 8.25 pounds, according to the specs on the amazon ad.

On one occasion my oldest was playing outdoors with a friend, and they were both intentionally spinning the razor scooter deck in a circle OVER their heads, holding the stem up high like a flagpole. I put a stop to that as soon as I saw it. But your ideas abut the scooter over his shoulder gave me a flashback to that experience. Certainly 8.25 pounds above a child's waist would change their COG. I suppose it's possible he was swinging the scooter in an exuberant fashion, or playing out an imaginary scenario, and that changed his COG enough to cause the fall. Makes more sense to me that a 6 yo would do something like that, rather than try to balance on the newel post or something. He was quite an active, physical little boy, from all indications and comments.

This is a youtube video of one very exhuberent person with a scooter. He can barely remain standing. I'm not suggesting Max was swinging the scooter like this, but using it to illustrate what kids sometimes spontaneously do with these scooters. I think the scooter was involved in the fall somehow. (And I think the person who purchased the scooter for Max probably has a lot of guilt about it being involved in the accident that killed him. JMO.)

me spinning a scooter - YouTube

Fantastic post! Thank you. Yes, an interesting possibility indeed. Sadly, we might never really find out exactly what Maxie was doing when the accident happened. He might've just been playing with it as you suggest, but I find it highly unlikely given the width of the hallway.

Like elfie, I also find of interest the mark half-way down/up the newel post. However, I don't think of it much because it doesn't really matter how that mark was made in my opinion, it could've easily been made the night before when Maxie was showing XZ his riding skills. However, if we tried to fit it into our still developing scenario just for discussion sake, it might go something like this:

Maxie could've tried to lift it by the handle to carry it downstairs, as most kids his age would likely do, only to bang the newel post. I can easily see a 6-year-old panicking over the damage to the post and choosing instead to try to put it over his shoulder, even if he had never carried it that way before. And, yes, the scooter looked pretty new to me too and now I also understand why thanks to your willingness to play with me!

In regards to the paint on the front wheel, there before the accident. And the scrape on the clamp/nuts on the steerer tube, no doubt the result of hitting the chandelier.

As to the mechanism that triggered the fall, in that regards all the experts were right - it is indeed all about the COG. BTW, I meant roughly 7 pounds were swinging wildly at the other end of the very long lever, because the lever itself - the steerer tube and handle - must also be weighed and included in the calculations in their respective assumed positions, not at the end of the lever - does that make more sense now?

Your mission, K_Z, if you choose to please accept it, is to help us all understand how the injuries on poor Maxie's back could have all been due to the scooter falling on his back and bouncing, as I suspected based on all the wonderful insight posted to this forum. And also whether the sharp edge on the board could've caused the injuries I had referred to as "carpet burns" in my earlier posts. They still remind me of my sister's injuries, but now that I believe we can explain the mechanism behind the fall, all other speculation and theories that they pointed to some sort of foul or simply rough play are out the window - and not a moment too soon.

The other possibility is that perhaps they were caused by Maxie bouncing face up onto the banister further down before he rolled and hit the ground head first, just as LE proposed. That part of their scenario is still compatible with ours. The rest of their scenario was simply very inept people instinctively knowing that it was an accident but not trying very hard to explain it! Anyhow, what do you and your colleagues think of his injuries when viewed in the context of our new theory? And I sure hope no one objects to my calling it our new theory, if you don't want to play, just pick up your ball and go home.

BTW, I don't think he suffered cuts from the chandelier on his hands and arms because it was the scooter being propelled into it that knocked it down - not Maxie, that would've no doubt cut him up bad. What do you think on that too from your Medical perspective?

And, if you happen to have the time, can you please also review Dr. Bove's report and his autopsy report to try to account for anything the experts could not explain in their reports?

What other mysteries are there about the fall? At the moment I am only interested in what triggered the fall, and on accounting for all his injuries, which all of the experts failed to do conclusively. Can you and your colleagues or anyone else following this case please help us with this too?

Your help would be greatly appreciated - by a great many people no doubt.

As for me, I'll be very happy to just be sitting home with a glass of wine in my hand, smiling happily to see you guys/ladies go on Dr. Phil's show to explain how the Websleuths on this forum solved the mysteries of the fall, and how you contributed your time, knowledge and creativity into putting together the animation and otherwise assisting with all the hard work still to be done. BTW, we also need someone to please assist with the math and physics if we are to prove this. Any takers?

Thanks again!

I do recall Anne Bremner initially stated Max's siblings were present. I'm not sure if you meant to say sisters or siblings in your comment above, but I recall Anne Bremner said siblings.

JMO.

Yes, siblings. Thanks for the correction!

These experts weren't about to lie or cover something up in such a precarious situation where their careers and livelihoods would be on the line. Of course, JS also had no reason to influence these experts into covering up child abuse.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, that the doctors all conducted exams... and said he died from a crack to the top of the head.

cirque du soliel

No offense, but are you serious right now?

I challenge each and every person to get a scooter, carry it running or walking, and try to end up POLE VAULTING over a railing onto a chandelier and crack the top of your head. Aint gonna happen!

Am curious about Max's heart and how this could have played out in the various scenarios (planking, owling, running on or off scooter, being hit by the car, etc.) For example, could he have been rushing to go down the stairs with the scooter on his shoulder, the scooter then swings around impacting on the newel causing him to lose his footing, over he goes at that lowest point below the newel, and in the fright of the event he suffers the cardiac arrest simultaneously upon impact? Just tossing this one out, no need to debate it :-)

At the moment, I'm more interested in what caused his cardiac arrest.

CPD report states: Cardiac arrest prior to arrival.

Max's autopsy report states (page 5):
"He had no significant medical history, although a II/IV systolic heart murmur was detected on May 25, 2011. Had been referred to pediatric cardiology, but had not had that appointment."

Note: I could only find 5 Systolic Murmur Grades and II/IV is not included, so I can only presume this must be a typo on the autopsy report! Murmurs range from I/VI through VI/VI, but none end in IV….
http://www.utmb.edu/pedi_ed/CORE/Cardiology/page_03.htm

There are a number of heart conditions that can lead to sudden cardiac arrest. These are called primary heart rhythm abnormalities. Citing two of these conditions, one is called Brugada's Syndrome and another is called Long QT Syndrome (LQTS).

I am familiar with LQTS. Ten years ago, my perfectly healthy 21-year-old cousin died of sudden cardiac arrest while playing soccer in college. He literally dropped dead while running on the field. It was attributed to previously undetected LQTS. In fact, many athletes have died as a result of undetected LQTS. I cite this since little Max was an avid and talented soccer player.
http://www.texasheartinstitute.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/longqts.cfm

LQTS is an abnormality of the heart's electrical system. The mechanical function of the heart is entirely normal. The electrical problem is due to defects in heart muscle cell structures called ion channels. These electrical defects predispose affected persons to a very fast heart rhythm (arrhythmia) called "Torsade de Pointes" (TdP) which leads to sudden loss of consciousness (syncope) and may cause sudden cardiac death.
http://www.qtsyndrome.ch/faq.html

Guidelines for management of patients with LQTS:
Competitive sports should be avoided.

As to Brugada Syndrome: Many people who have Brugada syndrome don't have any symptoms, and so they're unaware of their condition.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/brugada-syndrome/DS01142/DSECTION=symptoms

Back to Max's AR:
"Toxicology testing detected of blood drawn during admission to the hospital revealed presumptive positive benzodiazepines, but this was not confirmed."

Back to LQST:
There is a long list of drugs to be avoided in LQST. Maybe K_Z can chime in on whether any on the list are benzodiazepines (TIA, K_Z!).
http://www.azcert.org/drugs_to_avoid.pdf

Back to Max's AR: page 10:
"There has been organ procurement, including the liver, pancreas, great vessels (aorta and vena cava), kidneys, and perirenal fat with adrenal glands."

Question 1: A heart with congenital heart disease would NOT be donated. This leads me to question if Max's heart was not suitable for procurement, only the aorta and vena cava, thus the entire heart was not donated?

Question 2: In one of K_Z's excellent comments and expert analyses, she states:
"IMO, the evidence that we have strongly supports that Max had cardiac arrest secondary to the head trauma (as opposed to a deteriorating cardiac rhythm that becomes aystolic from hypoxia, which is a completely different electrical process in the heart.)"

K_Z, are you saying the head trauma would have CAUSED the cardiac arrest? If so, could it not have been the opposite: cardiac arrest leads to fall causing head trauma.

Bottom line: It is possible Max could have had an undetected heart condition that perhaps would have been detected if he had been examined by a pediatric cardiologist, as was suggested 6 weeks before his fatal accident.

As a parent, I can only imagine the horrid feeling of guilt for not having followed through with that recommendation. As is often the case, it's less painful to blame another rather than accept responsibility (such as "If only I had ----").

All above just my opinion unless accompanied by a link

Carioca, where did you get this info that XZ was staying in the "hanging room"?
Hi bourne - I remember reading it somewhere and have gone back through copious files trying to where it is stated. The best I could find was a comment by tvscum at following link. It was during a discussion of why would LE take XZ prints and not the teen's prints, and only made sense if XZ was staying in that room. Which IMO still doesn't make sense since all of them were there at Spreckels in the days preceding MS' accident.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153253&page=2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member