MD MD - Annie McCann, 16, Baltimore, 31 Oct 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Snipped from Washington Post article: "Frantically, he called 911 and began searching every room and closet in the house, fearing he would find her injured, or worse. When police arrived, they found the note on Annie's bed."

I find that weird. Why couldn't he see the note on her bed, surely her room would be the first place he looked.

Perhaps not if she left the bed unmade or clothes or something else on top .. something that covered a portion if not all of the note...

A teenage girl show does not go to her "friends" house or even call those friends after school.

Now that is odd. Either she did not have many, if any, friends, or somehow she decided to "exclude" those friends.

Sound like she could have been depressed.

As far as I know there is not "typical" profile of a teen run away.

Not everyone even as a teenager is "typical" and spends all their time with their friends.. some kids have a harder time in school. Perhaps she simply didn tfit real well with those in her school.. doenst make her odd necessarily. I never spent hours on the phone with friends nor ddn I have what i would call significantly close friends in high school. couldnt wait to leave for college. I had a great many friends and much more in common with those flks then i did in chighschool.. as a matter of fact still dnt other with my reunions for that reason.. from college on have had a great many friends .. many are very close. Not far fetched for her to be this way ..

also the pajama thing.. many teenagers do that cripes half of them think they are appropriate dress for the mall, the movies, a dinner out etc.. I love my pjs and would live in them if I could.. dont fnd this odd either.. especially if once she was home she wasnt planning on going back out for any reason..

"Students were at the viewing the whole time," said West Potomac High School Principle Rima Vesilind.

Yet, when asked for comments about Annie, most students who "knew" her said they "hardly" knew her. As her father emphasized several time throughout the conversation about his daughter's disappearance and death, "She didn't hang with anyone. There was no one close friend or friends."

The response from one student seemed to bear that out.

"Yeah it was a very tragic event, " said Peter Coffey, a student at West Potomac who went to class with Annie "Unfortunately I did not know her that well."
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=322069&paper=69&cat=104

She may have been just extremely family oriented. Even so, one would think she would have at least one close friend (i don't care what anyone says). It's not healthy for a teenager to not have any close friends or friend. (To qoute her father in the above excerpt from the article)

"She had a great love of animals -- particularly Breezy. She had thousands of pictures of Breezy. I once asked her if she saw a person and a dog in the river drowning who would she try to save. She just looked at me and said "the dog naturally," her mother related."
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=322069&paper=69&cat=104

It's seems she was very very introverted. She had a great love for animals and her dog; which is apparent in the qoute from her mother above.
I really wonder if she was suffering from an eating disorder. If she had very specific eating habits then she may have felt ashamed or avoided situations where she would have to eat a lot or in public. (lots of teens go for fast food, for example). Going out to a movie would be a "safe zone" for someone with an eating disorder as they'd not have to get the whole snack bar; just a diet soda and gummy worms. Some anorexics are routine to the extreme with calorie counting and rituals.

I hope no one is offended by my use of the slang term, "projects" in the title. It's been bothering me ever since I initially posted. It's short for housing projects, aka public housing. I meant no disrespect and if it should be changed please mods, do so.

I hope no one is offended by my use of the slang term, "projects" in the title. It's been bothering me ever since I initially posted. It's short for housing projects, aka public housing. I meant no disrespect and if it should be changed please mods, do so.

While i can't say for others; i take no offense to it. I've had friends who live in projects and it certainly is no place to leave a Volvo unlocked. I'm surprised nothing was disturbed in the car. It's also no place to go to unless you know someone who lives there; many are very bad with the crime..

I am not offended either.
I am really interested in this story, what happened to her?

This is local to me too. The kids in my neighborhood go to that High School. Such a strange case. I'm sure they will be checking computer records and text messaging records from her phone. Hopefully she took her cell phone with her and the ping records will at least give them an idea of her movements on Friday and/or Saturday before she died.

I find it a little odd that she was found by someone taking the trash out at 3am, but maybe it was the end of a Saturday night party.

I'd be really surprised if she was into drugs, although that is where the story leads the mind...but this reminds me eerily of the movie Traffic. Anyone seen it? It had a profound effect on me.

She left on Friday morning (we are to assume) and was not found until Sat. night? or was it late Fri. night into Sat. morning? 30 hours makes me believe it was early Sun. morning at 3am. What did she do that whole time? Was she dumped?

I guess the autopsy will provide. I just keep thinking we'll hear nothing more since we haven't already. I hate to say this, but it might be that the media/family are holding back to protect her name/their name. ?

I'd be really surprised if she was into drugs, although that is where the story leads the mind...but this reminds me eerily of the movie Traffic. Anyone seen it? It had a profound effect on me.

She left on Friday morning (we are to assume) and was not found until Sat. night? or was it late Fri. night into Sat. morning? 30 hours makes me believe it was early Sun. morning at 3am. What did she do that whole time? Was she dumped?

I guess the autopsy will provide. I just keep thinking we'll hear nothing more since we haven't already. I hate to say this, but it might be that the media/family are holding back to protect her name/their name. ?

Traffic is one of my all-time favorite movies and one of the reasons I think we should give drug legalization a shot.

Back on topic. I am most interested in the autopsy results. In my lifetime, I have known lots of good people (good students, workers, friends, etc...) who have gone to terrible places to cop dope so I would not be surprised if that were the case.

It does sound like she was very introverted. Hard to say about the eating disorder because some folks are just skinny, but some folks with eating disorders use drugs to help them achieve their results. I definitely don't see anything that leads me to believe her parents are involved. Very sad, intriguing case.

I find it really strange that her note said that she wanted more freedom and just wants to get on an airplane and fly away. By the sounds of it she went to school and then came home and stayed at home. It doesn't sound like her parents forbide her to go anywhere after school or on the weekends....she didn't want to go anywhere. That is why I think the remark about more freedom is odd. I wonder if she was trying to tell her parents that she was in trouble? This girl's life revolved around her family.

I wonder if she met someone on line who came to her house after her parents left and he ended up forcing her to write her parents a note telling them why she was leaving and not to look for her. Then he forced her to get in her parents car and leave with him. If this is the case it is hard to say what this person was really like. You can be anyone online and even use someone else's picture. He may have really been an older man who showed up and took her by surprise cause he wasn't what she expected.

It sounds like she was a loner. The one boy said she always had a cute smile on her face so it wasn't like she just avoided everyone at school. Maybe she was shy. It might have been easier for her to talk to someone online for a period of time and then agree to meet him.

Maybe when they get the tox testing back they will know more. I think she might have been overdosed too. I wonder if they looked for needle marks?

Just because she's skinny and introverted does not mean she has an eating disorder.

If this was me at her age, the story would have been exactly the same. I didn't hang out with anyone from school and I weighed less than 100 lbs. throughout the majority of my high school career.

So anyways, people shouldn't judge because of that. I would think that she was drugged and met someone from the internet. She was given directions, I'm sure.

And if she wasn't drugged, I think it was her family that had something to do with it.

Just because she's skinny and introverted does not mean she has an eating disorder.quote]

You are absolutely right. However, these same characteristics can indeed be indicative of an eating disorder. We probably will not know the answer, however, there was obviously something going on in this young girl's life that not even the family was aware of. Hopefully the autopsy will give the family some answers and although I can't even imagine their grief, I pray they can find some peace.

IMO i think it'd be more likely that she'd suffer from an eating disorder than a drug problem. Her grades were consistent and she was on the high honor role. We'd probably have heard through the grapevine by now if she was a druggie. Kids at school usually at least make rumors of their peers; or it's known. Nothing bad was said about her. We just know she didn't really have any friends and was very family oriented.

A very troubling case. She does not seem to be the type to run away, however people can and do hide many things! I would be very interested in hearing about what can be found on the computer, did she have 1 in her room? Since she did not have close friends there, did she find friends on-line?
If she was very reserved/shy, it's hard to picture her just taking off on her own.
Why did this have to happen when her mother was away? Was it so she could leave with a car? If her father looked in at 5:30 a.m. he must leave the house very early for work, was there someone in the neighborhood who would know she would be alone in the house after he left? She could have written the note but been forced to do it. Did she have access to much money and was it gone also?
Finding the car 5 blocks away from her body and unlocked sounds to me like whoever left it did not care what would happen to it, maybe they were thinking it would be stolen.
Also, what items of hers are missing, did she pack a bag? A teen-age girl running away would have many things she'd want to take with her and from the sounds of it, she would have taken several pictures of her dog.
I hope this is able to be solved.

VB

A very troubling case. She does not seem to be the type to run away, however people can and do hide many things! I would be very interested in hearing about what can be found on the computer, did she have 1 in her room? Since she did not have close friends there, did she find friends on-line?
If she was very reserved/shy, it's hard to picture her just taking off on her own.
Why did this have to happen when her mother was away? Was it so she could leave with a car? If her father looked in at 5:30 a.m. he must leave the house very early for work, was there someone in the neighborhood who would know she would be alone in the house after he left? She could have written the note but been forced to do it. Did she have access to much money and was it gone also?
Finding the car 5 blocks away from her body and unlocked sounds to me like whoever left it did not care what would happen to it, maybe they were thinking it would be stolen.
Also, what items of hers are missing, did she pack a bag? A teen-age girl running away would have many things she'd want to take with her and from the sounds of it, she would have taken several pictures of her dog.
I hope this is able to be solved.

VB

These are all very good questions. It was mentioned that she would sometimes attend church before school. I wonder if she had went to church before she supposedly ran off; and if there are any witnesses that she was in church that day. It would seem more likely that she'd go to church before she was going to take off; if she goes before school sometimes. They also mentioned she loved her dog so much; it's hard to believe she'd leave her 12 year old beloved pet.
I'm sure the neighbors were aware (or could be) of the family's schedules by seeing who leaves for work when and with which car. Sounds like they had 3 cars. (Mother had driven to Ithaca, NY to visit the brother); father took a car to work, the remaining car would be the one Annie would take, i'm guessing.
I'm wondering if in an act of self dependence, she attempted to drive herself to Ithaca, NY, to meet up with her mother & brother; and got lost on the beltway. They'd most likely take I-95 to get up there from VA..

I've never seen Traffic, but this story reminds of something that happened locally a month or so ago. A very pretty 17 year old from a "good" family who lived in a "good" neighborhood died very suddenly after a co-ed sleepover. It turned out that she did heroin, and on the night of her death, allowed another teenager to inject her 3-4 times with heroin, resulting in her death. Looking at this girl's picture, I never would have imagined that she was into heroin. Never. It didn't even cross my mind. And when the local rumor involving drugs was announced as truth, a lot of people were shocked. So I can't rule that out in any situation now, as sad as it seems.

I remember a few years ago, two "18 year" old girls, honor students, good girls, lots of friends, going to college.

But one night, they "hung" out with the "wrong" crowd and both died from a drug overdose.

Unfortunately, outward appearances are just that...the picture portrayed for all the world to see, but a we all know, that is just not a true picture of "the" person.

I do hope that this is solved and the family can find peace....

I'm so glad to see others interested in this- these are the type of cases that haunt me. People doing something so unexpected and out of character.
Two years ago , in the metro area, we had two girls disappear, one still in h.s and the other just graduated. They were best friends, but secretly were girlfriends and no one knew, except their diaries. They ran away while they were supposed to be at the movies, but luckily, their cell phones pinged in the Harpers Ferry area, or they might not have been found to this day. They committed suicide together in the car, in a remote field by carbon monoxide poisoning. No one could understand it and the whole community was devastated.

Young people doing these types of permanent acts to solve a temporary problem crushes my heart. To be in a place so full of despair (I've been there) hurts so bad you feel like your heart will stop. And you wish it would. The hurt they leave behind never heals. The pain goes on and on. I wish there was something I could do, even if it meant helping one person.

Any news on them releasing an autopsy? Also How far from interstate to where she was found?

Any news on them releasing an autopsy? Also How far from interstate to where she was found?

I'm not sure how to link a google map on here; you can type in "Perkins Homes Baltimore" and use the google map to zoom out until you see I-95. It doesn't look like it's that far from the interstate; there's a waterway harbor in between it seems. We don't know what exit she would have got off at; and the streets look like they could be very confusing..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska
Back