MD MD - Annie McCann, 16, Baltimore, 31 Oct 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No autopsy report or tox reports back yet? This girl's death is just a puzzle as is her being where she was. I wonder where she was going and why. I hope we get some answers soon. I can't even imagine what her parents are feeling. I just have a hard time believing that she was running away when she never wanted to go anywhere when she was at home. It doesn't make sense. What was she running from?

Springfield teen found dead in Maryland

(snip)

A few weeks before, another Fairfax County teen, 16-year-old Annie McCann, was found dead in a trash container in a public housing complex in east Baltimore, Md. Nov. 2 after running away from home on Halloween. (bolding mine)

More at link... http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2008/nov/21/springfield-teen-found-dead-maryland/

This is from an article about another Fairfax county teen who ran away and ended up dead in Maryland. Detectives say there is no chance the two incidents are related (seems they have some ideas in this case) but it was the first time I saw that Annie McCann was found IN a trash bin, not near it. If this is true, it seems to lessen the chances that she OD'd and just wandered off to die on her own. I really hope they have a lot that hasn't been made public (very likely). I'm betting on computer forensics and cell phone records.

Bumping for Annie

I have scoured the internet, but can't find any updates.

Bumping for Annie

I have scoured the internet, but can't find any updates.

Wondering if there was anything new too. If this girl was found in a dumpster then someone put her there. Maybe she overdosed but probably not by her own hand.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2008/11/death_of_annie_mccann.html

I've been watching this blog by the crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun. He wrote on Nov. 21st that he plans to update the story in his column and on his blog, possibly next week. It's the 29th and no update yet, but hopefully it won't be long.

At the time he wrote that, there were no "conclusive" results from the autopsy.

A teenage girl show does not go to her "friends" house or even call those friends after school.

Now that is odd. Either she did not have many, if any, friends, or somehow she decided to "exclude" those friends.

Sound like she could have been depressed.

As far as I know there is not "typical" profile of a teen run away.

I don't find that part odd. I did no hang out with school friends outside school.
I only saw them at school and Youth Group. I did have a couple of friends I called.

Another column has appeared in the Baltimore Sun regarding this huge and tragic mystery. Link.

So far, the story is a mystery. The autopsy has not revealed how she died. Police say they have no clue why she left her home, how she got to Baltimore and how she ended up dead. Her parents say they are prepared for the worst: drugs, an Internet predator, but so far authorities say nothing leads in any one direction.
From http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2008/12/death_of_annie_mccann_3.html

I wonder what kind of death wouldn't be revealed by autopsy? Does anyone know if they include the toxicology results with the autopsy, or maybe that part is separate??

I don't know, this doesn't seem like that big of a mystery to me. She was lonely and she wanted to kill herself without anyone finding her. no one would look for her in Baltimore, so she went there.

A girl in college did this - she seemed outwardly happy, but there weren't too many "close" friends that commented about her after her death. people just knew that she worked really hard and she liked going to the gym. She was found in a motel room in Virginia - 25 miles away from our school - having taken, we assumed, a bottle of pills.
if she had wanted someone to find her and help her, she would have done it in her dorm room. but instead she did it alone, where no one would look for her,which is incredibly sad and disturbing, but indicative that she really did intend to die.

maybe this girl tried to kill herself, someone found her, and brought her there, not knowing what to do with her, and left her there. I don't know why suicide is so shocking to anyone - high school and college are pretty stressful and depressing times. she wouldn't be the first lonely h.s. kid to do this.

I don't know, this doesn't seem like that big of a mystery to me. She was lonely and she wanted to kill herself without anyone finding her. no one would look for her in Baltimore, so she went there.

A girl in college did this - she seemed outwardly happy, but there weren't too many "close" friends that commented about her after her death. people just knew that she worked really hard and she liked going to the gym. She was found in a motel room in Virginia - 25 miles away from our school - having taken, we assumed, a bottle of pills.
if she had wanted someone to find her and help her, she would have done it in her dorm room. but instead she did it alone, where no one would look for her,which is incredibly sad and disturbing, but indicative that she really did intend to die.

maybe this girl tried to kill herself, someone found her, and brought her there, not knowing what to do with her, and left her there. I don't know why suicide is so shocking to anyone - high school and college are pretty stressful and depressing times. she wouldn't be the first lonely h.s. kid to do this.

Jeez. What a cold-hearted analysis! I'm not sure how a - by all accounts well-adjusted - child who commited suicide in a motel room would turn up in a dumpster in the "hood." Do we know the cause of death yet?

Jeez. What a cold-hearted analysis! I'm not sure how a - by all accounts well-adjusted - child who commited suicide in a motel room would turn up in a dumpster in the "hood." Do we know the cause of death yet?

From the article with the parents, it seemed like they thought they "isolated" and sheltered Annie too much. That could lead to her feeling depressed.

"The autospy has not revealed how she died. Police say they have no clue why she left her home, how she got to Baltimore and how she ended up dead. Her parents say they are prepared for the worst: drugs, an Internet predator, but so far authorities say nothing leads in any one direction.The McCanns admit Annie was sheltered. She only recently got her own e-mail address (before, the family shared one) and her mother has access to all the messages. Same with her cell phone."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2008/12/death_of_annie_mccann_3.html

The poor girl was 16 years old and her parents just let her have her own email address (as prior she shared a family email address together with them) and they just let her get a cell phone. It sounds like the parents were smothering her while keeping her sheltered to the point of being isolated from the outside world. (very limited friendships, contact with people at her school outside of school hours). She was probably just figuring out what teenage girls her age are supposed to do, and it may have lead her into inner turmoil; having nothing to help bridge the gap. Maybe she secretly felt she didn't fit in do to the "sheltering" so she kept to herself. I could definitely see depression coming out of it. It sounds like she may have just snapped and decided to take off for NY; got lost on the way and met up with trouble; or drove far away (as someone mentioned prior) to killing herself. I just don't understand how the autospy won't reveal anything. Is there more tests they can do?
Sorry for the rant..:eek:

From the article with the parents, it seemed like they thought they "isolated" and sheltered Annie too much. That could lead to her feeling depressed.

"The autospy has not revealed how she died. Police say they have no clue why she left her home, how she got to Baltimore and how she ended up dead. Her parents say they are prepared for the worst: drugs, an Internet predator, but so far authorities say nothing leads in any one direction.The McCanns admit Annie was sheltered. She only recently got her own e-mail address (before, the family shared one) and her mother has access to all the messages. Same with her cell phone."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2008/12/death_of_annie_mccann_3.html

The poor girl was 16 years old and her parents just let her have her own email address (as prior she shared a family email address together with them) and they just let her get a cell phone. It sounds like the parents were smothering her while keeping her sheltered to the point of being isolated from the outside world. (very limited friendships, contact with people at her school outside of school hours). She was probably just figuring out what teenage girls her age are supposed to do, and it may have lead her into inner turmoil; having nothing to help bridge the gap. Maybe she secretly felt she didn't fit in do to the "sheltering" so she kept to herself. I could definitely see depression coming out of it. It sounds like she may have just snapped and decided to take off for NY; got lost on the way and met up with trouble; or drove far away (as someone mentioned prior) to killing herself. I just don't understand how the autospy won't reveal anything. Is there more tests they can do?
Sorry for the rant..:eek:

I'm sorry - I just can't equate a sheltered teenager with a suicidal teenager showing no outward signs. That being said, I have a terrible gut feeling about this case that I just can't bring myself to share at this point. Once we learn the cause of death or more details about her personal life....maybe.

Perhaps her parents felt they sheltered her, but from the article I don't see a sheltered girl at all. I know girls that were sheltered and the details listed in the article don't reflect that.

The music she was listening to does not equal sheltered. It says she was involved in school and church activities. It sounds like it was her choice to be home early. She just sounds like a homebody. I have lots of friends that were homebodies in high school and are still homebodies now. They were all close with their parents as it sounds Annie was. This isn't abnormal.

As for the email address sharing, I don't see why that is strange either. The parents may not be that computer literate. I am sure Annie knew how to set herself up a yahoo account or something if she really wanted it. Their household may just not be a computer household. I know many households that aren't.

As for the email address sharing, I don't see why that is strange either. The parents may not be that computer literate. I am sure Annie knew how to set herself up a yahoo account or something if she really wanted it. Their household may just not be a computer household. I know many households that aren't.

School kids around here are given an email account by the school when they are in grade school. The brother was in college. Surely he was computer saavy.

When I read what her father said in the beginning I thought she just liked to stay home as he said that she always came right home from school and stayed at home. From what he said I gathered it was by her choice.

She did have her driver's license which she probably wouldn't have had if they really isolated her. Her parents would have been driving her everywhere instead of letting her drive.

I still don't understand the note that she left. It puzzles me because it sounded like she was living her life the way she wanted to. I couldn't understand the remark about wanting more freedom when she didn't seem to want any freedom in the first place.

The parents could have been really protective of her...especially in this day and age. I hope that we find out what really happened and why. I hope she didn't meet some creep over the internet. Wonder if she really would have driven that far by herself?

doesn't toxicology take 2-3 weeks to come back? isn't that why it took so long for them to get a cause of death on Anna Nicole Smith?
That's what I'm wondering - if the autopsy didn't reveal the cause of death, then I'm thinking the answer must lie with the toxicology results. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

When I read what her father said in the beginning I thought she just liked to stay home as he said that she always came right home from school and stayed at home. From what he said I gathered it was by her choice.

She did have her driver's license which she probably wouldn't have had if they really isolated her. Her parents would have been driving her everywhere instead of letting her drive.

I still don't understand the note that she left. It puzzles me because it sounded like she was living her life the way she wanted to. I couldn't understand the remark about wanting more freedom when she didn't seem to want any freedom in the first place.

The parents could have been really protective of her...especially in this day and age. I hope that we find out what really happened and why. I hope she didn't meet some creep over the internet. Wonder if she really would have driven that far by herself?

Just because she didn't show discontentment, doesn't mean she didn't want more freedom. Maybe she was afraid to bring it up to her parents for whatever reason.

Did LE search the family's computers and any she may have used at school?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapturedOnCamera
Back