GUILTY MD - Bobbie Cortez, 36, stabbed to death, Dundalk, 6 March 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Then again my whole "marrying/living with" and having children in the household circumstances theory may only be if the RSO is currently on probation/parole. If they are no longer on probation/parole and are just RSO perhaps the rules are different.

Then again my whole "marrying/living with" and having children in the household circumstances theory may only be if the RSO is currently on probation/parole. If they are no longer on probation/parole and are just RSO perhaps the rules are different.

It is true that the rules on probation and parole are very , very strict BUT a registered sex offender has rules for LIFE on who and where they can live. They are only SUPERVISED during probation or parole , but the lifetime registry does cover some of that. Someone covered for him or he flat out lied to everyone and since he was on probation or parole, his officer should really be admonished for not doing his job well enough. They're supposed to check out their home and make surprise visits, etc. Seems like a small amount of looking into it and the PO would have known there were children there. Shame !

I must say this is the first case I can remember feeling sympathy for the "perp", I can barely bring myself to view TV as a perp.

What a terrible situation perpetuated by bad decisions compounded by more bad decisions. I can only hope the kiddos find a safe, happy home and have a somewhat decent childhood from here out.

I will be curious to see what LE feels TV's motive was. They have come out saying that they do not believe the murder was related to DC being incarcerated and further charged with multiple sex offense charges.
I believe TV was protecting his daughter in some misguided way and I will be surprised if I learn that the murder was completely unrelated and coincidental to the grand jury indicting DC on more sex offense cases on the Wednesday before this incident took place on Thursday.
Hoping more than anything that the children affected will be placed in a stable loving home and get whatever help they need to process all of this mess. It will be a long road.

I see it was reported upthread that the hotel clerk saw the post on social media. It was actually our local NBC affiliate's post that the clerk saw. From the news channel's main office to Florence SC is about 3 hours.

Hitting so close to home, I am able to use this as a gentle nudge to my family members & friends to always share those posts. You don't ever know who it can help.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/WITN-Facebook-Post-Helped-Locate-Amber-Alert-Victim--Murder-Suspect-249292251.html
"When I saw the picture I knew that's who it was," Gause told WITN. "Then I got up and called the police."

This is so incredibly sad. Virts' motive is unknown at this time.

<snipped by me>

<Baltimore County police said Monday that they believe Virts killed Bobbie Jo Cortez before 6 p.m. Wednesday, and fled sometime after 6 a.m. Thursday with Cortez's 11-year-old daughter Caitlyn Virts.>

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...md-virts-extradition-20140310,0,1201245.story

That's incredible. If he killed her before 6pm Wednesday, and no one called for help until Thursday morning. Maybe no one was home when she was killed? That is just unbelievable.
It'll be interesting to hear what the motive is. I pray those children didn't hear anything. It's bad enough that one of the children found BJC that is enough to permanently scar someone. Everything every last thing about this case is so upsetting.

Virts Case: Daughter Returns to Maryland, Police Arrange Father's Return
The man accused of abducting his daughter and murdering her mother is in South Carolina, where detectives are interviewing him, police said.

Posted by Elizabeth Janney (Editor) , March 10, 2014 at 02:04 PM

(snip)
Detectives think that ... CV's twin sister and a 13-year-old brother were home when their mother was killed, police said.

(snip)
Homicide detectives flew to South Carolina after Timothy Virts was arrested there, and they continue to interview Virts, who agreed to talk to them, police said. Details of their conversations and 911 calls are being withheld due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, according to officials.

Although police initially said that extradition from South Carolina could take 7 to 12 days, police said Monday that Timothy Virts has waived extradition from South Carolina so Baltimore County and South Carolina authorities are working out logistics to arrange for his return to Maryland.

(more@link)
http://owingsmills.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/caitlyn-virts-back-in-maryland-police-arranging-timothy-virts-return

Girl, 11, reunited with her twin sister after her father kidnapped her and went on the run when 'he stabbed her mother to death'

Timothy Virts remains in South Carolina custody, but an extradition hearing is expected to be held Monday

(snip)
'I'm hoping and praying that they let me have them,' Trainor-Goodwin (grandmother) said. 'They said they want to be with me. They miss me.'

(snip)
Timothy Virst is listed in court documents as homeless, according to ABC 2, but his most recent profession was as a butcher.
A court hearing to determine his fate is expected Monday.
It has also been revealed that stepfather Daniel Cortez was arraigned Wednesday on 11 counts including attempted rape, perverted practices, assault and sex abuse of a minor, court records showed.

(snip)
Cortez is already a registered sex offender following a 2009 conviction on a charge of sexual conduct against a middle-school-aged child, according to the Maryland Sex Offender Registry (link in story - not sure I can link here without violating TOS).
Authorities will not confirm or deny if either of the Virts twins were abused by the pedophile.

(snip)
The accused killer's custody agreement with Bobbie Jo Cortez allowed him to see the twins every other weekend and on holidays, but she went to great lengths to avoid seeing him.
'I can get someone to bring them to him,' she said in court, according to ABC 2. 'I really don't want any contact between him and I.'

(Much More@link)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577523/Missing-girl-11-reunited-twin-sister-kidnapped-father-following-nationwide-manhunt-mothers-murder.html

Missing Dundalk girl reunited with twin sister in Maryland, family says

(snip)
CV and her twin sister were back together in the care of Baltimore County social services workers, according to the twins' grandmother, Anna Trainor-Goodwin.

(snip)
I'm hoping and praying that they let me have them," said Trainor-Goodwin, who lives near Patterson Park in Baltimore. "They said they want to be with me. They miss me."

(snip)
Trainor-Goodwin said she's not sure if CV knows about her mother's death.
"I'm hoping social services gets a hold of me and lets me know I can have the kids," she said. "I want to move into a house closer to the kids' school."

(snip)
Social services officials were working with CV to make decisions about where the girl would be placed after coordinating with her family, police said.
Funeral arrangements for Bobbie Jo Cortez have not been finalized, said Cortez's father, Daniel Wallace.
He, too, said he hopes Trainor-Goodwin is awarded custody, and he pledged to help raise the girls.
"Any time they call me, I will be there," said Wallace who lives in the Carrollton Ridge section of Baltimore. "No matter what. I will be there."
Wallace said Sunday he missed his daughter very much.

"She was sunshine," he said. "She always happy. She was very trusting. She loved her children. She cherished her children. There was nothing in this world she wouldn't do for them."

(snip)
"I used to talk to my daughter all the time," he said. "That's another thing I'm going to miss. I don't have anybody to call like that anymore."

More@Link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/dundalk/bs-md-virts-update-20140309,0,5491069.story

Girl, 11, reunited with her twin sister after her father kidnapped her and went on the run when 'he stabbed her mother to death'

Timothy Virts remains in South Carolina custody, but an extradition hearing is expected to be held Monday

(snip)

'I'm hoping and praying that they let me have them,' Trainor-Goodwin (grandmother) said. 'They said they want to be with me. They miss me.'

(snip)

Timothy Virst is listed in court documents as homeless, according to ABC 2, but his most recent profession was as a butcher.

A court hearing to determine his fate is expected Monday.

It has also been revealed that stepfather Daniel Cortez was arraigned Wednesday on 11 counts including attempted rape, perverted practices, assault and sex abuse of a minor, court records showed.

(snip)

Cortez is already a registered sex offender following a 2009 conviction on a charge of sexual conduct against a middle-school-aged child, according to the Maryland Sex Offender Registry (link in story - not sure I can link here without violating TOS).

Authorities will not confirm or deny if either of the Virts twins were abused by the pedophile.

(snip)

The accused killer's custody agreement with Bobbie Jo Cortez allowed him to see the twins every other weekend and on holidays, but she went to great lengths to avoid seeing him.

'I can get someone to bring them to him,' she said in court, according to ABC 2. 'I really don't want any contact between him and I.'

(Much More@link)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lowing-nationwide-manhunt-mothers-murder.html

The last part of this confuses me. In another article it said BJC asked TV to come live with them to help with the girls after DC went to jail.
Saying she went to great lengths to avoid him doesn't mesh with what was happening when all of this went down.

The last part of this confuses me. In another article it said BJC asked TV to come live with them to help with the girls after DC went to jail.
Saying she went to great lengths to avoid him doesn't mesh with what was happening when all of this went down.

Perhaps it was a continuum. If she asked him to move in to help watch the children so she could work nights, and things were OK initially, that would account for the other article. Overnight childcare is prohibitively expensive, from my own experience, for just one child. I can't imagine how much it would have cost her for the girls, so asking him to help out makes sense, at least to me. Unless I am missing something here.

If the DM article is correct, and TV's behavior deteriorated later (or for the reasons cited by his family members in their own proceedings/stay away order), then it is possible that both could be true.

:twocents:

Sentencing scheduled today for man charged in death of ex-girlfriend after nationwide search
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...y/bs-md-co-virts-sentence-20150619-story.html

From your link, sentencing done. I hope all involved are healing from this brutal attack.
Timothy Virts, who was the target of a nationwide search last year after he killed his ex-girlfriend and fled to South Carolina with one of their daughters, was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole in court Friday.
Virts, 39, pleaded guilty in March to first-degree murder in Cortez's death. He also agreed to a sentence of life without parole at his plea hearing. Prosecutors dropped other charges against him.

Sentencing scheduled today for man charged in death of ex-girlfriend after nationwide search
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...y/bs-md-co-virts-sentence-20150619-story.html

Reading this was heartbreaking. I remember this case like it was yesterday. tv truly inflicted immeasurable pain upon the children, and my heart goes out to them.

Knowing he didn't even bother to try to apologize or show any remorse leaves me :stormingmad:

I wish the surviving children all the strength and prayer they need and deserve as they face life without Bobbie Jo. They were described as resilient and stronger than the adults. I don't doubt that for one second!

May their lives be eternally blessed. :twocents:

:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member