GUILTY MD - Bobbie Cortez, 36, stabbed to death, Dundalk, 6 March 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This article is very informative with some background info.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...t-folo-20140307,0,1194288.story#ixzz2vLm1vjH2

Not sure how much has been discussed, but here are some things I thought were interesting:

- the dad was especially close to Caitlyn and may have left her twin because the twin has a medical condition that would require attention

- he had moved in because the mom worked nights and he was helping care for the kids

- the mom and dad had another set of twins (boys) that they relinquished in 2004 to the dad's father b/c they couldn't care for two more infants at that time

- the dad's father (who has the twin boys) filed a restraining order against his son (TV) after being threatened with violence

- the other two adults had moved in to help pay rent after Cortez went to jail

- mom did NOT know of Cortez's charges until he was arrested (told her mom she would never date again after hearing about it)

- mom seemed to love her kids very very much, provided for them, was going to school, etc, and seems to have loving relationship with her parents as well

- the nationwide Amber Alert is what led a hotel employee to call police after recognizing them

I'm glad Caitlyn has been found safe and was not injured by her father. I hope she gets all the support she will need to recover from the trauma of what has happened. I too wish there was more support for children who are victims of violence or abuse.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...t-folo-20140307,0,1194288.story#ixzz2vLm1vjH2

Not sure how much has been discussed, but here are some things I thought were interesting:

- the dad was especially close to Caitlyn and may have left her twin because the twin has a medical condition that would require attention

- he had moved in because the mom worked nights and he was helping care for the kids

- the mom and dad had another set of twins (boys) that they relinquished in 2004 to the dad's father b/c they couldn't care for two more infants at that time

- the dad's father (who has the twin boys) filed a restraining order against his son (TV) after being threatened with violence

- mom did NOT know of Cortez's charges until he was arrested (told her mom she would never date again after hearing about it)

- mom seemed to love her kids very very much, provided for them, was going to school, etc, and seems to have loving relationship with her parents as well

- the nationwide Amber Alert is what led a hotel employee to call police after recognizing them

I feel like this article is perhaps a bit too glowing, as if family members were interviewed on both sides who were trying to protect mom and dad. But either way, I'm ecstatic that she was found safe. I wish her mother was alive and her father wasn't headed for a very long prison stay, so that she could have some stability to heal. I hope the grandparents or whoever winds up with custody can give CV the unconditional love, support and professional help as needs so that she can be a child for perhaps the first time in her life.

After reading all 13 pages here, I wonder if CV was safer on the run with her dad TV than she was alone in the Dundalk house with DC, the RSO.

Amen to that!!!! ITA!!!!!!! I feel TV was just trying to protect his little girl.
Breaks my heart :(

So happy Caitlyn was found safe!

Thanks for this, clears up the situation with TV...

As for the charges.. afraid I don't believe that from the anecdotal evidence.. at the very least, she knew him before/during that first incarceration. She'd have actively not wanted to know. And if she didn't know until the arrest, how come the recent charges refer to a minor in that home? Unless CV didn't tell mom and told TV instead.

Thanks for this belimom, very helpful!

Thrilled Caitlin has been found safe although who knows what she has to go back to. Never thought TV would hurt her and it's a relief to be right (for once)!.

So happy to wake up to this news. May she find all the help she needs and live a happy and healthy life.

So happy Caitlin has been found safe :dance:

Thanks for this, clears up the situation with TV...

As for the charges.. afraid I don't believe that from the anecdotal evidence.. at the very least, she knew him before/during that first incarceration. She'd have actively not wanted to know. And if she didn't know until the arrest, how come the recent charges refer to a minor in that home? Unless CV didn't tell mom and told TV instead.

I read a comment from BJCs friend "DR" - someone referred us earlier to his FB page. According to this friend - BJC had found out DC touched "the other little girl" and reported it. So if that is correct - that would make the victim C . Maybe TV heard this and went off OR maybe Caitlyn came forward with her own info. Either way I think he found out something that set him off down the wrong path.

I would have to agree that it would be pretty hard not to know DCs past. Obviously he was in jail before and that alone should spark some red flags and pause for consideration as to whether he would make a good spouse and father figure. At the very least a reason to do some research online. The comments he posted to her friends....to her friends on FB made up my mind in a few seconds.

edited to correct initials

As a relatively new member of WS - this was the first case that did not end totally bad. I am finding that each case provides me with some lessons or at least reinforces those I know but may not be practicing.

With this one - I constantly had to stop myself from making judgements against the adults. I have not walked in their shoes and cannot overlay what I would have done. I imagine that BJC probably wanted nothing more than to provide happiness for her family. She wanted to find someone who would make her and her kids life happy and take care of them. She says this herself about JC. TV probably wanted nothing more than to protect his kids and make sure no one hurt them or caused them to be hurt. Good intentions were spoiled by poor choices in bad situations.

What I will take away from this case and all the posts are the following (and when I say "you " I mean me and am not preaching) LOL

Parenting involves putting a child's well being and safety first and above all else including friends , social life , spouse / significant other. If someone objects or makes you feel guilty - they may have their own agenda.

If you cannot care for another life (human or otherwise ) take measures not to become a parent or caretaker way beforehand.

Don't rely on others to make your life better. This makes you their dependent on all levels. You are the best person for the job. Rely on loved ones to support you on your journey but drive and take ownership of your own life and happiness.

Be selective with those you surround yourself with - negative and bad habits rub off. Aspire to rise above those situations that keep you down or unhappy.

Research those you let into your home, heart or near your children. even if you do not have children - research those you are letting in. Information is there.

Strive to be a better parent than the one(s) you had even if they were the greatest. if we all do this - we will eventually have a wonderful generation .

When outraged - force yourself to walk away. Realize the urge to harm another or oneself is a long term and very bad solution for what is a temporary situation.

Be mindful of abusive situations - while you can't make an adult leave - there are measures to protect a minor / report any concerns you feel are not right .

Savor moments with friends / love ones - because we are all here temporarily. it it could be the last time you see them. If it's been a while since you actually talked (FB doesn't count ) to those you care about - do so and each week make an effort to reach out to one person who you've been too busy to contact or visit.

Signing off on this one - until our paths cross again....be safe and enjoy!

I'm so glad she was found safe! So bittersweet though...tough road ahead.

Great news! Such an awful ordeal though :( I hope if anything good can come out of this, it's that the grandparents can take the girls into their home and they can be with their brothers. Being together could be valuable in the months/years to come.

The children are the only ones who get my sympathy right now. If I had to choose the next in line it would be TV and not the mom. There is no way I will be convinced that she did not know DCs history and she put her children all in harm's way for several years. TV had no right to kill her but if he figured that he would never get custody as long as she was alive then he certainly solved that problem. Hopefully his actions, as heinous as they were, will cause the custody of those children to be scrutinized going forward. TV may not have any say in where they are placed but at least he knows that they are not with an RSO anymore. I am sad for those babies and I will pray for them that they find safety and happiness now.

can we please not spell out these girls names? it feels like an extra slap to their faces, on top of this nightmare. my heart is shattered for them.
(I don't mean to sound bossy, and I'm not entirely certain of TOS re: naming minors, but... jeez.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Chief Johnson

C is safe. In custody of social service in South Carolina. She appears to be unharmed. Everyone is very relieved. The child and her siblings have endured tremendous trauma. Everyone will continue to provide aid and assistance as the matter unfolds. SC social services will be working to get her returned to MD.

FBI was involved w/i hours. Yesterday afternoon, they were able to mass communicate the alert. Certain information helped them to pinpoint their direction. Received critical information that Virts was in SC. Last night received credible information by Florence City LE that the Durango was at the hotel. Virts was arrested w/o incident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back