GUILTY MD - Bobbie Cortez, 36, stabbed to death, Dundalk, 6 March 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Praising social media. The clerk at the hotel found out about C and Virts via social media and recognized Virts as one of the guests and called it in.

No motive determined for homicide at this time. Anticipate successful prosecution.

They do have what they believe is the murder weapon, but they are not going to disclose what it is. Why did he only take 1 child? They do not know. Thousands of tips came in.

They do not believe she suffered any harm while with Virts (thank goodness).

Johnson "Relieved" That Caitlyn Is Safe
Mar 08, 2014 11:43:00 AM EST

Today Baltimore County Police Chief Jim Johnson reaffirmed that Caitlyn Virts is safe and that Baltimore County Police, Baltimore County's Department of Health and Human Services and the FBI will provide all available resources to help her and her siblings.

Caitlyn's mother, Bobbi Jo Cortez, 36, was found murdered Thursday morning in her bedroom in the 3100 block of Ardee Way in Dundalk. Caitlyn's father, Timothy Virts -- who fled with Caitlyn after the killing and was found in South Carolina last night -- is charged with first-degree murder. He will be extradited to face prosecution in Maryland; the extradition process can take weeks.

At a press briefing this morning, Chief Johnson said that the FBI Baltimore Division's participation in the investigation was pivotal in locating Timothy and Caitlyn Virtz. Representatives of FBI's Baltimore Division, including Special Agent in Charge Steve Vogt, participated in this morning's briefing.

Johnson said he was "incredibly relieved" that Caitlyn has been found safe, and credited citizen "keyboard crimefighters" with paying attention to the search and helping law enforcement by calling in "thousands" of tips.

Here is a summary of the information Chief Johnson provided:

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/News/PoliceNews/iWatch

Much more at link^

Motel Owner: Finding Missing Girl "Answer To The Prayers"

Saturday, March 8, 2014
Robert Lang and David Collins

(snip)
Gause said Timothy Virts and his daughter had checked in on Thursday night, and noted, "they looked Ok."

She said around the scheduled check out time on Friday morning, Virts paid for a second night of lodging.

Johnson called the motel owner, one of many "citizen keyboard crime fighters" who had offered police thousands of tips in this case. He said the clerk linked the information she found online to the motel registry.

(snip)
"No, I say the heroes were the people who started praying for this little girl, when they found out what was going on, and it was the answer of prayers that things worked out like it did," Gause said.

"The fact that he came to my motel, and the fact that I rented to him, and the fact that I rented to him, and that I was the one who saw it on Facebook, that was just the answer to the prayers."

Audio of Press Conference:
http://cdn.s3-media.wbal.com/Media/2014/03/08/31aa59ed-f2c9-4415-a20a-4fdfe6fa886e/original.mp3

More@Link
http://www.wbal.com/article/105929/21/johnson-citizen-keyboard-crime-fighter-helped-find-caitlyn-virts

Updated photo of TV can be found at this link
Girl in Amber Alert found at Florence motel, police say
Posted: Mar 07, 2014 7:23 PM PST
Updated: Mar 08, 2014 3:51 AM PST

(snip)
Detectives will travel to South Carolina to continue the investigation. CV was taken from Dundalk, M.D. and they were believed to be in Garysburg, N.C. Thursday.

More@link
http://www.wnct.com/story/24920621/amber-alert-issued-in-nc-for-missing-girl

Motel Owner: Finding Missing Girl "Answer To The Prayers"

Saturday, March 8, 2014
Robert Lang and David Collins

(snip)
Gause said Timothy Virts and his daughter had checked in on Thursday night, and noted, "they looked Ok."

She said around the scheduled check out time on Friday morning, Virts paid for a second night of lodging.

Johnson called the motel owner, one of many "citizen keyboard crime fighters" who had offered police thousands of tips in this case. He said the clerk linked the information she found online to the motel registry.

(snip)
"No, I say the heroes were the people who started praying for this little girl, when they found out what was going on, and it was the answer of prayers that things worked out like it did," Gause said.

"The fact that he came to my motel, and the fact that I rented to him, and the fact that I rented to him, and that I was the one who saw it on Facebook, that was just the answer to the prayers."

Audio of Press Conference:
http://cdn.s3-media.wbal.com/Media/2014/03/08/31aa59ed-f2c9-4415-a20a-4fdfe6fa886e/original.mp3

More@Link
http://www.wbal.com/article/105929/21/johnson-citizen-keyboard-crime-fighter-helped-find-caitlyn-virts

Updated photo of TV can be found at this link
Girl in Amber Alert found at Florence motel, police say
Posted: Mar 07, 2014 7:23 PM PST
Updated: Mar 08, 2014 3:51 AM PST

(snip)
Detectives will travel to South Carolina to continue the investigation. CV was taken from Dundalk, M.D. and they were believed to be in Garysburg, N.C. Thursday.

More@link
http://www.wnct.com/story/24920621/amber-alert-issued-in-nc-for-missing-girl

I feel like this article is perhaps a bit too glowing, as if family members were interviewed on both sides who were trying to protect mom and dad. But either way, I'm ecstatic that she was found safe. I wish her mother was alive and her father wasn't headed for a very long prison stay, so that she could have some stability to heal. I hope the grandparents or whoever winds up with custody can give CV the unconditional love, support and professional help as needs so that she can be a child for perhaps the first time in her life.

I tend to agree. They were married. In the fall of 2012, not for three years, so that makes it a little over a year. That is a big difference. I know it may be irrelevant, but I do not believe that she didn't know. I believe that he may have lied to her about the reasoning behind why he was SO, but I don't believe she didn't know. That is just my opinion and my gut.

So glad she was found safe. Praying for a better future for her.

I read a comment from BJCs friend "DR" - someone referred us earlier to his FB page. According to this friend - BJC had found out DC touched "the other little girl" and reported it. So if that is correct - that would make the victim C . Maybe TV heard this and went off OR maybe Caitlyn came forward with her own info. Either way I think he found out something that set him off down the wrong path.

I would have to agree that it would be pretty hard not to know DCs past. Obviously he was in jail before and that alone should spark some red flags and pause for consideration as to whether he would make a good spouse and father figure. At the very least a reason to do some research online. The comments he posted to her friends....to her friends on FB made up my mind in a few seconds.

edited to correct initials

I'm a little confused how the victim wouldn't know that DC was a RSO. Aren't RSO required to verify their addresses every so often?? What about parole officers coming to the house for visits etc etc etc??? Being a RSO would be no easy task to hide. I mean I guess it is possible but I think it would be really hard to do....I have a friend who was married to a RSO (statutory rape situation) and there were SEVERAL stringent rules he had to follow as a RSO (rightly so...just making a point) there is no way he could have hid it from my friend.

I'm a little confused how the victim wouldn't know that DC was a RSO. Aren't RSO required to verify their addresses every so often?? What about parole officers coming to the house for visits etc etc etc??? Being a RSO would be no easy task to hide. I mean I guess it is possible but I think it would be really hard to do....I have a friend who was married to a RSO (statutory rape situation) and there were SEVERAL stringent rules he had to follow as a RSO (rightly so...just making a point) there is no way he could have hid it from my friend.

One of those rules and probably the MOST important would be to NOT live with minor children . So either mom did KNOW or he lied to her and lied to his PO. No way would they knowingly allow him to move in a home with children...........NO WAY!

Baltimore County police: 'Caitlyn is safe'
Nationwide hunt for 11-year-old girl, father over
UPDATED 7:14 PM EST Mar 08, 2014

(snip)
Cortez worked for a medical supply company, and she was awarded sole custody of (CV) and her twin sister in 2011.

According to family members, Cortez and Timothy Virts were supposed to be in court on Thursday, but the case is not on the public docket, suggesting it may have been for a confidential proceeding dealing with the well-being of the children.

Watch embedded video report

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/Girl-in-Amber-Alert-found-safe/24881522

via

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/baltimore-county-police-caitlyn-is-safe/24880362

One of those rules and probably the MOST important would be to NOT live with minor children . So either mom did KNOW or he lied to her and lied to his PO. No way would they knowingly allow him to move in a home with children...........NO WAY!

Well I'm surprised he was even allowed to marry someone with children in the same age range that he abused prior. That just boggles my mind there. How is there no system in place to prevent that??

But yeah I think she knew. Nobody can convince me that she did not know. Just like she knew having sole custody of the kids and TV not allowed to be around them was probably a good reason why he should not have been staying in the house the last several weeks. But I've read enough of her FB to get the impression that she was the type of person that cared only about what was in her best interests, not her children's. Very sad.

I know BJC's mom stated she'd like to have the girls to hang on to a piece of BJC. But I'm really hoping TV's dad gets them so they can be with their brothers. I think that will make a huge difference in their future which is going to require a lot of therapy and healing I imagine.

Well I'm surprised he was even allowed to marry someone with children in the same age range that he abused prior. That just boggles my mind there. How is there no system in place to prevent that??

But yeah I think she knew. Nobody can convince me that she did not know. Just like she knew having sole custody of the kids and TV not allowed to be around them was probably a good reason why he should not have been staying in the house the last several weeks. But I've read enough of her FB to get the impression that she was the type of person that cared only about what was in her best interests, not her children's. Very sad.

I know BJC's mom stated she'd like to have the girls to hang on to a piece of BJC. But I'm really hoping TV's dad gets them so they can be with their brothers. I think that will make a huge difference in their future which is going to require a lot of therapy and healing I imagine.

I got to thinking and I can't Remember where I saw it, but I think I read somewhere that the adults who were living with BJC actually had custody of the twin girls for a while then recently moved back in with BJC (with the girls in tow) and then BJC obtained sole custody. I wonder if the twins were living elsewhere when BJC and DC were married and he didn't have to report the girls in the home because they weren't at that time. I've read so much at this point I can't Remember the timeline or even where I read something about the scenario I said above.

I agree with a PP my understanding that is another huge rule...no way he would be permitted to live with children that are not biologically his as a RSO especially considering his previous victims age. Again I could be wrong about that also but for some reason I have the thought if a RSO is marrying/living with someone who has children it must be reported and approved etc.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack B
Back