Found Deceased MD - David Gipson Smith, 28, Howard County, 6 Aug 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know if the headless body found at the bus station was ever ruled out? I hope not David but just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the headless body found at the bus station was ever ruled out? I hope not David but just asking.

I'm not sure that I know which headless body you referring to...do you have a link to the information?

The only headless one I am aware of is this one that I posted 4 posts up. This is thei don’t know how but they say he was missing a front tooth. An arrest has been made in this case of a gang member.

Case Report - NamUs UP # 17128

Case Information

StatusUnidentified
Case number17-10073
Date foundSeptember 05, 2017 09:55
Date createdOctober 16, 2017 11:40
Date last modifiedNovember 14, 2017 14:27
Investigating agency
date QA reviewed

Local Contact (ME/C or Other)

AgencyMD Ofc of Chief St Med Examiner
Phone410-333-3225

Case Manager

NameJoe Mullin
Phone410-333-3271

Demographics

Estimated ageCannot Determine
Minimum age9 years
Maximum age99 years
RaceUnsure
EthnicityOther
SexUnsure
Weight (pounds)126, Estimated
Height (inches), Cannot Estimate

All parts recovered
Head not recovered
Torso not recovered
One or more limbs not recovered
One or both hands not recovered

[TD="colspan: 2"] Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)
[/TD]
Body conditions
Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Probable year of death2016 to 2017
Estimated postmortem interval

Has the age of the two females been disclosed?
Living with parents, are they teens?

Has the age of the two females been disclosed?
Living with parents, are they teens?

Woman # 1. (Catonsville, Md) is 41 and has adult children (David met her in rehab)

Right Turn IMPACT | Addiction Recovery Services
Phone: (410) 581-4900 | Fax: (443) 773-5568
Address: 1209 Liberty Rd
Eldersburg, MD 21784

Email: info@impactdui.com
www.impactdui.com

And

Woman #2.(Ellicott City, Md) is 36 (has been arrested for: (also reported that she is an admitted heroin addict)

[FONT=&amp]
  • Charge 1:
  • Cds:Possess Not Marijuana
  • Charging County: Baltimore, MD
  • Charge Date: 09/11/2017
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
  • Charge 2:
  • Cds:Poss Paraphernalia
  • Charging County: Baltimore, MD
  • Charge Date: 09/11/2017
[/FONT]
Charge 3:
Cds Admin Equip Poss/Dist
Charging County: Baltimore, MD
Charge Date: 09/11/2017

Charging County:Baltimore County, Maryland

Case Number:

Charge: Cds:Possess Not Marijuana(controlled dangerous substance)

Statute: CR.5.601.(a)(1)

Type:

Charge Date:09/11/2017

Case Number:

Charge: Cds:Poss Paraphernalia(controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia)

Statute: CR.5.619.(c)(1)

Type:

Case Number:

Charge: Cds Admin Equip Poss/Dist (administration equipment for distribution/possession with intent to distribute)

Statute: CR.5.620.(a)(2)

Type:

http://atlaspublicrecords.com/

note: I am not posting the names publicly as LE and the family do not want them released at this time

Dozens gathered to celebrate birthday of missing New Jersey man

Friends and family gathered to celebrate the birthday of a New Jersey man who's been missing for more than three months.

David Smith was last seen on the 2000 block of Woodbine Road in Howard County on August 6th. Smith came to Maryland to visit a friend and never returned home.

During the vigil, family and friends sang and prayed together. The Smith family hopes that vigils will continue to help spread awareness and hopefully gain some answers.

http://amp.abc2news.com/2407132332/...brate-birthday-of-missing-new-jersey-man.html

Even if David were in rehab, he would have had the opportunity to let his family know where he was. If, for some reason, he did not want his family to know, I would think the rehab would honor his wishes, especially due to HIPPA regulations.

Another reason I do not believe David is in rehab is the length of time he has been gone. You need to fight with insurance companies for every day you are able to stay in rehab. It is not like you can go, check in, and stay as long as you wish. Years ago, standard treatment was a minimum of 28 days. Now insurance will try to get you in and out as quickly as possible. Many times it is to the patient’s detriment and sobriety.

From this article http://www.fox5dc.com/news/family-and-friends-of-a-man-missing-for-months-gathered-for-a-vigil

According to Julie, the woman has said David was using drugs and wanted to detox. Family says David has struggled with substance abuse, but he's been clean for a year. They say there have been inconsistencies in the stories of both of the women and they question what actually happened.

"There's enough suspicious behavior surrounding the story that it brings fear," Julie said.

Howard County Police say they've conducted a large scale search of the property by land and air but found no sign of David. Investigators say while there's no evidence of foul play, they are considering every possibility.

Julie and Doug say police have requested they not name the two women David last had contact with.

Even if David were in rehab, he would have had the opportunity to let his family know where he was. If, for some reason, he did not want his family to know, I would think the rehab would honor his wishes, especially due to HIPPA regulations.

Another reason I do not believe David is in rehab is the length of time he has been gone. You need to fight with insurance companies for every day you are able to stay in rehab. It is not like you can go, check in, and stay as long as you wish. Years ago, standard treatment was a minimum of 28 days. Now insurance will try to get you in and out as quickly as possible. Many times it is to the patient’s detriment and sobriety.

Not necessarily, there is a facility in Baltimore, Md that is a 12 month programs and it does not charge. Granted it caters to the homeless but Davidcould have checked in there with no insurance or cash and get clothes and everything he would need for 1 year. I know of a similar facility run by the Catholic Church in Philadelphia, Pa. It is possible or I promise you I would have never mentioned it. I do not know of one in Boston but there could be. Granted you don’t know me but I would never post a fleeting idea that crossed my brain unless I had researched it thoroughly. Between my demonic spellcheck and stubborn iPad keyboard I may have some misspellings or renegade words but my ideas are based in reality LOL

JMHO

But what reason would David have to not let his family know he was in rehab?

I wonder if these women are setting the stage that if David is found, and no longer living, that he went off to detox and passed from detoxing without medical supervision.

But what reason would David have to not let his family know he was in rehab?

I wonder if these women are setting the stage that if David is found, and no longer living, that he went off to detox and passed from detoxing without medical supervision.

That is a possibility of course.

The following is just speculation based on some conversations I have had with some of his friends. Of course as one of his family members said he could have overdosed and one or both women disposed of the body in a panic. Orhe could have been set up for a robbery that went bad.

But it’s my belief that David thought woman #1 was going to let him live with her for awhile at least. David did have a pattern of making friends with older women in rehab and asking them if he could stay with them after they got out. I have spoken with some of them.

When he arrived he found out either he misunderstood or she had a change of heart. She appears to be taking her sobriety serious and wants to succeed so she can have a better relationship with her adult children. That may have been the problem with David becoming a room mate, perhaps her children were not keen on the idea.

So, not wanting to go back home under the watchful eyes of his parents, she set him up with woman # 2 and things went south from there. If as one of the women said he did relapse with heroin he May have partied for a few days and then decided he wanted to try to clean up his act.

He had left his car and keys at woman # 2 home so he couldn’t get behind the wheel high. I think when woman #2 left the parents “to go to work for 2 hours” she actually went to meet David and tell him that his parents were there and they had contacted LE. This embarrassed him or angered him that they had checked up on him and the only way they could have found him was to pull his phone records. So he decided to stay and party. He was 28 years old after all. And it doesn’t take a huge push to send someone in recovery tumbling off the wagon if they are all ready teetering on the edge. I think he started walking out of where ever he had been, be it the property on Woodbine Rd or somewhere else. . Now, he either had an accident maybe hit by a vehicle in the dark that threw his body out of site. (this is why the body down the embankment of 695 in Anne Arrundel County has my attention). If a tractor trailer truck hit him the wrong was he could have been thrown down the embankment and if the truck stopped it didn’t see him.

Or, he went to Baltimore(or another location he knew) and checked in to rehab and has been off the grid. Again this is purely speculation on my part but it gels with what I have learned about him the last couple of weeks. I have spoken with some ppl that had possible sightings (but not confirmed) and this theory could fit with what they saw. I truly hope he is in rehab and can get he act together for his own sake and for the peace of mind of his family and friends. I did have an image in my head of what I thought David was like but after learning so much more about him it changed dramatically. For home to relapse with heroin would not shock his friends many of whom he was in rehab with previously.

On one occasion David’s demon of choice was Dilaudid which if you don’t know is an extremely strong opioid pain medication made from morphine, that can be taken in pill or intravenous form but IV is used more often because the powder or pills lose a lot of effectiveness when swallowed and works better sublingually (under the tongue) than swallowed. It is an old pain med, available as far back as 1922. So heroin would be a small step from Dilaudid[FONT=&amp].

I am not not ruling out foul play but there is a reason LE has taken the “left voluntarily” stand and were convinced enough that he did heroin to put in in print for the world to see. I understand that his family doesn’t want to make him look ”like a drug addict” and most of their lives have been about image due to their career choices but if David is still alive he does need some serious help if he is ready for it. It doesn’t matter how many times you send someone to rehab, it won’t work if they aren’t ready or don’t really want sobriety yet.

JMHO
[/FONT]

That is a possibility of course.

The following is just speculation based on some conversations I have had with some of his friends. Of course as one of his family members said he could have overdosed and one or both women disposed of the body in a panic. Orhe could have been set up for a robbery that went bad.

But it’s my belief that David thought woman #1 was going to let him live with her for awhile at least. David did have a pattern of making friends with older women in rehab and asking them if he could stay with them after they got out. I have spoken with some of them.

When he arrived he found out either he misunderstood or she had a change of heart. She appears to be taking her sobriety serious and wants to succeed so she can have a better relationship with her adult children. That may have been the problem with David becoming a room mate, perhaps her children were not keen on the idea.

So, not wanting to go back home under the watchful eyes of his parents, she set him up with woman # 2 and things went south from there. If as one of the women said he did relapse with heroin he May have partied for a few days and then decided he wanted to try to clean up his act.

He had left his car and keys at woman # 2 home so he couldn’t get behind the wheel high. I think when woman #2 left the parents “to go to work for 2 hours” she actually went to meet David and tell him that his parents were there and they had contacted LE. This embarrassed him or angered him that they had checked up on him and the only way they could have found him was to pull his phone records. So he decided to stay and party. He was 28 years old after all. And it doesn’t take a huge push to send someone in recovery tumbling off the wagon if they are all ready teetering on the edge. I think he started walking out of where ever he had been, be it the property on Woodbine Rd or somewhere else. . Now, he either had an accident maybe hit by a vehicle in the dark that threw his body out of site. (this is why the body down the embankment of 695 in Anne Arrundel County has my attention). If a tractor trailer truck hit him the wrong was he could have been thrown down the embankment and if the truck stopped it didn’t see him.

Or, he went to Baltimore(or another location he knew) and checked in to rehab and has been off the grid. Again this is purely speculation on my part but it gels with what I have learned about him the last couple of weeks. I have spoken with some ppl that had possible sightings (but not confirmed) and this theory could fit with what they saw. I truly hope he is in rehab and can get he act together for his own sake and for the peace of mind of his family and friends. I did have an image in my head of what I thought David was like but after learning so much more about him it changed dramatically. For home to relapse with heroin would not shock his friends many of whom he was in rehab with previously.

On one occasion David’s demon of choice was Dilaudid which if you don’t know is an extremely strong opioid pain medication made from morphine, that can be taken in pill or intravenous form but IV is used more often because the powder or pills lose a lot of effectiveness when swallowed and works better sublingually (under the tongue) than swallowed. It is an old pain med, available as far back as 1922. So heroin would be a small step from Dilaudid[FONT=&amp].

I am not not ruling out foul play but there is a reason LE has taken the “left voluntarily” stand and were convinced enough that he did heroin to put in in print for the world to see. I understand that his family doesn’t want to make him look ”like a drug addict” and most of their lives have been about image due to their career choices but if David is still alive he does need some serious help if he is ready for it. It doesn’t matter how many times you send someone to rehab, it won’t work if they aren’t ready or don’t really want sobriety yet.

JMHO
[/FONT]
One point regarding staying at the 1st woman's home, he came a day early and she was going to a concert that night. She didn't want to leave him alone at her house so she found a friend (2nd woman) who had a place for him to stay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

One point regarding staying at the 1st woman's home, he came a day early and she was going to a concert that night. She didn't want to leave him alone at her house so she found a friend (2nd woman) who had a place for him to stay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I understand that is what they told the Parents but I am not convinced it is accurate. If so she would have been ready for home The next day and the Woodbine Road visit would not have taken place. It doesn’t match the rest of the info. JMHO

I believe that David relapsed. I don't think that he left home on Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 8:30 a.m. intending to "binge" on drugs/alcohol for the weekend. Unfortunately, I believe that the company he kept in Maryland that weekend made the temptation too great and he succumbed. If he had been clean and not using (drug naive), a sudden drug overdose is very likely upon resuming drug use. One of the individuals is associated with criminal drug distribution charges in her past. I believe that David obtained the drug that killed him while he was visiting these two individuals in Maryland. This is just my own personal opinion.

LE is in a very tough position. On the one hand, this missing person (David) has sealed his fate by making his own choices. I can see why LE has a jaded view in this type of situation. There would be less crime if we had fewer drug users. But, on the other hand, the reason that LE exists is because we do have crime -- no matter what the cause might be. In drug-involved cases, they are not as committed to getting to the bottom of what happened to someone who went "missing." I can certainly understand their viewpoint. I am frustrated, and I am only a spectator.

This case reminds me of the case of the missing Chase Massner (since found deceased) -- for which there is a thread here on our revered Websleuths Site. The last known individual to see Chase, Brad Clement (arrested and now in jail awaiting trial in Chase's case), was "oh so helpful" in cooperating with law enforcement, media, family members, etc. However, ultimately, the "missing" Chase Massner was found buried under the deck of the residence owned by Brad Clement at the time of Chase's disappearance and where Chase was last known to have been seen. Even still, it cannot be proven that Clement was responsible for Chase's death, because cause of death could not be determined. Yet, in the absence of an admission of guilt, countless resources will have been expended in taking this case to trial to seek justice. The end result will fall short, in my opinion.

There was help, I'm sure, in concealing David's body. David was 6'4" and 230 lbs. Probable cause needs to be established. Otherwise, nothing will come of David's disappearance. It is probably too late for CCTV footage. So the story of the woman who had access to David's car, after he went missing, who initially claimed that she did not drive the vehicle but later admitted that she drove it to a convenience store to get cigarettes (after David "went missing"), probably cannot be corroborated fully. The information that I have had access to has come from listening to the podcasts referenced very recently on this thread. The information provided has led to my sad conclusion that David is deceased from a drug overdose.

All of this is just my opinion.

I believe he for sure went there with the intention to use. He was apparently having romantic issues according to some Facebook posts of his, and i believe he may have been stressed about finding his own place. TBH i think he had been using for awhile. He had no romantic connection to either of the women so why would he go see them? Who drives that far away just for fun but then lies about it? Its not like hes 18 years old having to lie to his parents, hes a grown man, almost 30. Also his mother stated that she was familiar with the first woman and did not approve of her. I wonder why.....probably because she had a history of drug use. He knew if he told his parents thats who he was going to see theyd get angry and they wouldnt buy the "oh im just going there to hang out and get moral support" excuse. What I found interesting about that sit down video interview with his parents is that they never mentioned whether or not he had been contacting that same woman during the past few months. I am sure they looked through the phone records to see who else he had been talking to or how many other times her number popped up in the past few months.

I think woman #1 had plans to go to the concert and couldnt accommodate him. The fact that he did not know seem to know she had plans already lets me know he left suddenly, or took off days from work planning to leave without actually making sure she was ok with him staying there. A person gets concert tickets in advance usually. So why would he assume he could stay with her and why would she tell him he could if she knew she had plans that evening? I dont even think he knew for sure he could even stay with her, he just took off that morning and texted on the way hoping it was ok. She redirected him to another friend that also sold drugs, woman #2. His mother stated that from her understanding the reason why he could not stay at woman #2s place was because of a previous incident where her parents were unable to remove him from the home - whatever that means. Im sure woman #2 explained to them why but they are keeping quiet about it. Perhaps he had gotten high there before and passed out in their home. If thats the case then why would they keep insisting that David had been clean for a year? I think woman #2 is lying about a lot of things but I dont see a reason for her to lie about why he couldnt stay at her house. She lives with her parents, its not like he died inside the home and they helped her bury him. I think her parents are in the clear. And even during the interview Davids parents kept tiptoeing around the wording like not wanting to say out loud that drugs was the reason for certain things. It was very strange to me and it seemed like they were in denial about their sons drug use even when all signs point to it.

So David cant stay with woman #2 either but she sees he desperately wants drugs and does not want to go back home because he probably lied and told her hed moved out for good. She tells him if they can use his car so she can do a bunch of drop offs, shell hook him up with free drugs. That explains why he had not withdrew any money from his bank account, he didnt need to. Her excuse about not having gas in her car, maybe this woman was just really broke(i mean she did live at home) and was being honest. She had a crappy car, no gas money, needed to go do some drop offs to make money for the gas, saw Davids new nice car, and made a deal with him. I used to be close with someone whos mother was a crack addict. She would let the dealer use her car in exchange for free or discounted drugs often. Its very common. So David hands her the keys, he gets in the passenger seat, she gives him the drugs and they drive around for a little while. Maybe they really did stop at her uncles property because a little party was going on there or something and thats where shed be doing drop offs. Davids mother did say there was a fire pit and fresh bottles, sounds like a sketchy party spot. She leaves David there for a little bit and goes to do some more drop offs, says shell be back. Some hours go by and he notices his phone is dying. He calls her one last time and asks where she is, sees when shes coming back to pick him up. She comes to pick him up and by this time hes probably very intoxicated. She gives him some more drugs and he overdoses in the passenger seat. She panics. She calls a friend to help her move the body since he is a large guy. They get rid of the body, likely bury it somewhere along with his phone and wallet.

She returns home. When her parents ask why his car is still on their property and hes not around she maybe lies and says something like "hes staying with a friend for a few days and needed somewhere to park it." Meanwhile she tries to figure out where shes going to take the car. Davids parents start calling and she avoids the calls for 24 hours while she figures out a bs story to tell them about where he went. Like I said earlier David likely lied to woman #2 about having just left his parents house for good, so she was not aware that anyone would be looking for him soon or else maybe she would have immediately called 911 instead of trying to cover it up and pretend it never happened. It doesnt seem like a robbery gone wrong or like shed kill David on purpose. Again she lived with her parents, she doesnt seem like someone that was so under the radar in terms of being watched by others that she could commit murders all the time.

Have the names of the women been released? I may have seen them on twitter, which I find strange as I'm pretty sure I seen mentioned earlier LE and family have stated they did not want to release names?

I want to take this opportunity to say that some new searches are taking place over the next few days. No the women have not been release publicly but they are floating around. Also the are some groups out there that are posting posts from here. If you do not not to share your posts with these groups please mark your posts accordingly. Your posts are your intellectual property, you have the right to choose it is is used by others.

This post not for publication or use off WS without express written consent.

Drug dealers suck. I don't disagree. But addicts choose to use. There is no way around it.

I agree, I am an ex heroin addict and drug dealers are not hunting people down. Users are hunting them down. Some dealers are monsters, some are not, just like users.
He was only 9 months clean, Relapse is always an issue but within the first year. It's always on your mind. I personally think he wanted to use but he didnt want his parents disappointed. He met another user online and met up with her. Something happened from there. They either used and he oded, (The first relapse you have a bigger chance to die from) When he was dropped off at the random property, he was either high and someone did something to him there OR he was already dead and they threw him away :(
We are missing a lot from this story because of the women having nothing to really say it makes me think more people were involved. They might be scared of someone retaliating against them or just losing a connect.

I agree, I am an ex heroin addict and drug dealers are not hunting people down. Users are hunting them down. Some dealers are monsters, some are not, just like users.
He was only 9 months clean, Relapse is always an issue but within the first year. It's always on your mind. I personally think he wanted to use but he didnt want his parents disappointed. He met another user online and met up with her. Something happened from there. They either used and he oded, (The first relapse you have a bigger chance to die from) When he was dropped off at the random property, he was either high and someone did something to him there OR he was already dead and they threw him away :(
We are missing a lot from this story because of the women having nothing to really say it makes me think more people were involved. They might be scared of someone retaliating against them or just losing a connect.
Just want to say thnks for sharing your insight, and congratulate you for your hard work in staying clean.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back