MD - Forbes “30 Under 30” CEO Pava LaPere, 26, found with blunt-force trauma, Baltimore, 25 September 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He had pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual assault for the 2013 attack and was sentenced to 14 years behind bars and another 16 years as a suspended sentence as part of a plea deal struck by the office of former DA Marilyn Mosby.

The judge at the time said he didn’t think the sentence was enough but allowed it as the victim didn’t want to testify at trial.

He had pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual assault for the 2013 attack and was sentenced to 14 years behind bars and another 16 years as a suspended sentence as part of a plea deal struck by the office of former DA Marilyn Mosby.

The judge at the time said he didn’t think the sentence was enough but allowed it as the victim didn’t want to testify at trial.

That is very good news

Just getting here...
How awful -- she was one of those people who wanted to help people and doing it her way. Well-liked and admired -- one of the "good ones." Now she is gone, but she left such good things for other people.
Was this a random type thing? If so how did he get access to her? How did he get to her? In the parking lot and had a weapon?
A beautiful hotel turned into a beautiful apartment building. Is this a safe area around the building? How easy is it getting upstairs if one doesn't live or work there?
Hoping that BPD and the prosecutors have good solid evidence against the one who ended her life and her dreams of helping others in her own way. Her family and friends will grieve for a long, long time.
Justice, come quickly.
Baltimore has high crime, I would not consider the area "safe" by most people's standards, by Baltimore standards, is ok but surrounded by worse. She lived and worked in the building and did not have a car, I assume he encountered her inside.

Has a press conference for today been announced? Kudos to LE for apprehending him swiftly. I hope he will be off the streets for decades.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Press Conference at 11:00am EST tomorrow (Thursday)

JMO

I hope these victims will be able to recover, not sure how tbh. They must be relieved he has been arrested. What a dangerous, manipulative predator. Gives a sense of how he may have approached Pava with a story.

Thanks!

I hope these victims will be able to recover, not sure how tbh. They must be relieved he has been arrested. What a dangerous, manipulative predator. Gives a sense of how he may have approached Pava with a story.

Yep, I bet he used the same tactic of posing as a maintenance man. jmo

Inmates can earn up to 30 days per month under the “diminution credit” system, according to a 2020 state report. Those serving sentences for crimes of violence, large drug sentences or sex offenses can receive up to 20 days per month. They earn credit for work tasks, education and special projects, including academic programs and other work details.

Becky Feldman, a former defense attorney and prosecutor who now works at the Sentencing Project, says diminution credits are designed to promote safety and good behavior inside prisons.

Inmates can earn up to 30 days per month under the “diminution credit” system, according to a 2020 state report. Those serving sentences for crimes of violence, large drug sentences or sex offenses can receive up to 20 days per month. They earn credit for work tasks, education and special projects, including academic programs and other work details.

Becky Feldman, a former defense attorney and prosecutor who now works at the Sentencing Project, says diminution credits are designed to promote safety and good behavior inside prisons.

IMO, violent sex offenders should get no "good time" credit. Of course they can behave in a controlled environment without victims available. Once they are out, they re-commit crimes.

jmo

I

I misread this initially and thought it was 5 days a month of credit they could accumulate. 20 days a month! That is a miscarriage of justice. I really hope this case makes them revisit this program. MOO

Apologies for duplicate posts, can't delete, maybe mod can?
The DM article talks about his "story" used in earlier sexual assault, then "story" in recent rape/arson. It's possible that he encountered Pava in a hallway or other public area and used a "story" again. JMOO.

I feel so bad thinking of what her last moments must've been like. Catching someone by surprise like that is often a toss up, either the adrenaline kicks in and they get away or they're panicked and freeze up. I wish predators could evaporate entirely

When he committed three SA offences they had the opportunity to keep him in prison for LIFE, and yet some idiot thought he could earn GOOD POINTS and be released!

When he committed three SA offences they had the opportunity to keep him in prison for LIFE, and yet some idiot thought he could earn GOOD POINTS and be released!
It happens 100s of times a day: criminals get released for "good behavior" or on parole when they remain a danger to society. The justice and prison system is broken and I don't see any fix in the near future----innocent people, like this poor woman, will be murdered because of this negligent system.

It happens 100s of times a day: criminals get released for "good behavior" or on parole when they remain a danger to society. The justice and prison system is broken and I don't see any fix in the near future----innocent people, like this poor woman, will be murdered because of this negligent system.

It is BROKEN. There's no rehabilitating someone this violent!
Basically, let them back out so the next crime is MURDER.

A man has been arrested in connection with the brutal death of tech CEO Pava LaPere, according to reports from The New York Times, USA Today, and CBS News.

Jason Billingsley, 32, was apprehended at MARC Train Station in Bowie, Maryland, on Wednesday, sources told FOX 45 Baltimore.
Man Arrested Over Death of Tech CEO Pava LaPere, 26, Found Slain in Her Baltimore Apartment

thank goodness. may he never see sunlight as a free man again. He never should have been out to harm again, let's get it right this time justice system!

IMO, that means prosecution didn't want to risk a trial, since without victim testimony, they might have lost and he'd have been found not guilty and gone free.

So they struck a deal with his lawyer in exchange for guilty plea and 14 years.

Won't it be nice when robots replace humans and there won't have to be any compromises.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back