MD MD - Frederick, WhtFem 17-45, UP7477, in steamer trunk in state park, Spondylolysis, Aug'82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At no time when I was creating this recon was I thinking of Anne Riggin, but she sure does look like Anne Riggin.

riggin_anne.jpg
45bea903-61e7-440c-a100-4684a0f53d0d.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/riggin_anne.html

I hope Detective Lege wasn't just blowing us off when he said he "believes" she was ruled-out on dentals.

Bumping CarlK's recon

Okay, Thanks, Carbuff. I didn't realize Carl had already done one for her. Senior moment!

ETA I feel like a total idiot!

Don't feel like an idiot--it was way back. It took me several minutes to find it. It looks like he did it when the photos of the skull were first released. 2012 maybe? Probably before you joined us.

There's so much stuff in here that it's impossible to remember, or to reread it all. That's why it's good that there are so many of us, so we can split the labor.

How are you guys searching threads? I'm not seeing a thread search on the new forum software

How are you guys searching threads? I'm not seeing a thread search on the new forum software
The option to search either thread or forum is included in the search function top right corner of the screen, just uncheck what you do not want.
Sometimes i find it easier to search for a thread or post by searching in google- adding the term "Websleuths" in front of the query.

The option to search either thread or forum is included in the search function top right corner of the screen, just uncheck what you do not want.
Sometimes i find it easier to search for a thread or post by searching in google- adding the term "Websleuths" in front of the query.

I often do both--it seems like each search algorithm has strengths and weaknesses and using more combinations sometimes turns up hidden results.

To recap potential matches from this thread that are still viable:

Barbara Monaco
Anne Riggin
Mary Cook Spencer
Patricia Vaughan
Virginia Alice Welch

Personally, I find Barbara Monaco, Anne Riggin, and Patricia Vaughan to be unlikely candidates for varying reasons. Articles regarding Barbara Monaco indicate that she is probably deceased and her remains are likely in Southeastern Virginia. Anne Riggin went missing only a few months before the discovery of the UID. Patricia Vaughan seems unlikely due to dentals.

I actually went ahead and contacted the Doe Network suggesting Mary Cook Spencer as a possible match for this UID as Mary closely resembles most of the physical description and she disappeared in Maryland.

I was wondering what you all would think of Marcia Remick as a possible match. She would be at the lower end of the age range for this UID (17-25). Here is her NamUs profile: Missing Person Case.

I think she's a real good possibility.
Wow, that side by side makes her look like an even stronger match than I thought. I recognize this is morbid, but do you think her teeth match those of the skull?

I tried to see if Marcia's dentals would be available with comparison for the UID given how much we know about the UID's dentals. Unfortunately, the Doe Network indicates that only DNA is available for Marcia (227DFVA - Marcia Estelle Remick) and I presume no DNA has been taken from the UID. If someone has access to the dentals in NamUs could they please confirm if Marcia's are unavailable? I might try submitting her as a possible match, but I wonder how much effort it would take for LE to make a comparison.

Wow, that side by side makes her look like an even stronger match than I thought. I recognize this is morbid, but do you think her teeth match those of the skull?

I tried to see if Marcia's dentals would be available with comparison for the UID given how much we know about the UID's dentals. Unfortunately, the Doe Network indicates that only DNA is available for Marcia (227DFVA - Marcia Estelle Remick) and I presume no DNA has been taken from the UID. If someone has access to the dentals in NamUs could they please confirm if Marcia's are unavailable? I might try submitting her as a possible match, but I wonder how much effort it would take for LE to make a comparison.

Someone should turn her in

Welcome to Websleuths, Westy27! This Jane Doe has only dentals available after an unsuccessful recent attempt to develop a DNA profile for her so it will be difficult for the two of them to be compared currently.
Thank you for the welcome.

Would this be a case where the DNA Doe Project could possibly be of help? Their site suggests they have had some success extrapolating from partial DNA profiles. Absent that they might be able to help with another round of DNA sequencing.

To recap potential matches from this thread that are still viable:

Barbara Monaco
Anne Riggin
Mary Cook Spencer
Patricia Vaughan
Virginia Alice Welch

Personally, I find Barbara Monaco, Anne Riggin, and Patricia Vaughan to be unlikely candidates for varying reasons. Articles regarding Barbara Monaco indicate that she is probably deceased and her remains are likely in Southeastern Virginia. Anne Riggin went missing only a few months before the discovery of the UID. Patricia Vaughan seems unlikely due to dentals.

I actually went ahead and contacted the Doe Network suggesting Mary Cook Spencer as a possible match for this UID as Mary closely resembles most of the physical description and she disappeared in Maryland.

I was wondering what you all would think of Marcia Remick as a possible match. She would be at the lower end of the age range for this UID (17-25). Here is her NamUs profile: Missing Person Case.
Nice find, welcome to Ws Westy27!

snipped by carbuff.

To the extent that the pictures show, and keeping in mind that I have only minimal knowledge of forensic dentistry, it looks pretty close. The UID had extensive dental work but none of it seems to show in the visible skull. But it looks like the general shape of both the upper and lower jaws is the same, as is the way the upper teeth extend above the lower teeth. The cheekbones match, the shape of the eye sockets appears to match, the overall shape of the skull appears to match. So no, nothing obvious to rule her out.

But we have seen even closer facial matches that turned out to be false alarms, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Looking back through the thread I think I missed where a DNA profile was being created for the UID. Could someone let me know what the circumstances were of that attempt?

Also, I am a bit surprised that Anne Riggin has never been formally ruled out for this UID given that her dentals are available. We might want to resubmit her as a possible match. Same thing with Virginia Welch, if her dentals are not actually available someone should update the respective sites to indicate this.

I think she is Cynthia Kinney, missing since June 23, 1976 from Oklahoma. Cynthia was 16 and a cheerleader at a high school. Sadly, CITT was 17 - 45. Not too far from age, wouldn't hurt to submit.

Attachments

• CDKinney.jpg
    CDKinney.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 10

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads