MD MD - Frederick, WhtFem 17-45, UP7477, in steamer trunk in state park, Spondylolysis, Aug'82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not a hundred percent sure if this was brought up earlier, but earlier today I had someone comment that Betty Redmond has similar characteristics to the Jane Doe. There isn't a way to use DNA or dentals to rule her out (UID has no DNA and MP has no dentals). I was curious to see if a superimposition could be attempted and Betty's features do seem to fit on the skull (in my opinion, she does not resemble the reconstructions).

img_7663.jpegBetty-cheerleader.jpg

Hello everyone, I am so glad to see so much action on this thread.
So, Jane Doe had extensive dental work, but she still had her wisdom teeth, though impacted (which come in at the earliest in the late teen's). I wonder why she never had them taken out?!?

Hello everyone, I am so glad to see so much action on this thread.
So, Jane Doe had extensive dental work, but she still had her wisdom teeth, though impacted (which come in at the earliest in the late teen's). I wonder why she never had them taken out?!?
Welcome to Websleuths, Sswann2799 :welcome:! There is speculation that this Jane Doe had her dental work done at dental schools in exchange for free or reduced prices so students could practice and gain experience. If this was the case, she likely didn't have a lot of money otherwise she would have gone to an actual dental practice. It's unlikely that she would have been able to have her wisdom teeth extracted at a dental school however, as this usually not something that can be done by students.

Welcome to Websleuths, Sswann2799 :welcome:! There is speculation that this Jane Doe had her dental work done at dental schools in exchange for free or reduced prices so students could practice and gain experience. If this was the case, she likely didn't have a lot of money otherwise she would have gone to an actual dental practice. It's unlikely that she would have been able to have her wisdom teeth extracted at a dental school however, as this usually not something that can be done by students.

Thank you for the welcome! I never thought about the fact that dental students usually would not do wisdom extractions! That makes more sense now. Before you said that I was wondering if she had the dental work done, then went missing, the wisdom teeth started coming in... but she was unable to get any dental care anymore.

cache.php
cache.php
cache.php

http://doenetwork.org/cases/431ufmd.html

• [*]The victim was discovered on August 24, 1982 in Frederick, Frederick County, Maryland
    [*]Estimated Date of Death: Possibly July 1982, or as early as Spring 1982
    [*]Decomposed (skeletal) Remains

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated Year of Birth: 1955-1960
    [*]Estimated age: 17-25 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2 to 5'6; 100-130 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium length brown hair. Previous back injury. Possible dancer, gymnast.
    [*]Dentals: Available. The decedent had undergone extensive dental procedures, some of which are consistent with those performed by dental students. Including two crowns on left front teeth, a root canal and numerous fillings. She had one gold-filled tooth on the right upper side and several silver fillings.

Case History
The victim was located in a steamer trunk (footlocker) located just off a roadway in Gambrills State Park, in Frederick, Maryland on August 24, 1982. The trunk had leaves and sticks scattered over it but it was not hidden.

I just received an email from NamUs that our Jane Doe's DNA was complete but it's Insufficient DNA for profiling. I also found this reconstruction that I have never seen before in Wiki Woman_in_the_Trunk_facial_reconstruction.jpg

I hope one day this JD is given her name back!

If her wisdom teeth were impacted she wouldn't have needed them removed because they won't ever erupt through the gums and cause crowding of the other teeth. My two upper wisdom teeth are impacted, meaning they will never break through the gumline. My dentist said they were situated too high in the upper jaw and were turned at an angle that would not cause any pressure on the neighboring teeth. Looking in my mouth I have no upper wisdom teeth, but looking at my x-rays you can see them up inside the bone. There would be no reason for the UID to have impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed unless they were causing pain by pressing on the teeth next to them, etc.

Police release new sketch of mysterious 'cheerleader in the trunk' 30 years after grisly murder | Daily Mail Online

article-0-136FED55000005DC-149_468x302.jpg

Gristly find: Two hikers spotted a steamer trunk containing a decomposing body while picking mushrooms in the Frederick City Watershed in 1982

article-0-136FED4B000005DC-433_468x302.jpg

Mystery: Police said the skeletal remains inside the trunk were those of a young Caucasian woman
article-0-136FED3A000005DC-470_468x310.jpg

Clues: Police were hoping that the victim's dental records would help identify her since she had had extensive work done on her teeth
Active: It is believed that the unidentified woman was a cheerleader or a gymnast due signs of wear on her hip bones

article-0-136FED4F000005DC-226_224x298.jpg

article-0-136FED40000005DC-582_224x298.jpg

Forensics: The latest digital image of 'the woman in the trunk' was compiled using photos of the victim's skull

Wow, just wow, Dot! Thank you for posting.

*CarlK, if you're out there, have you done a recon of this Jane Doe? If not, would the images provided make it possible to do? *
The link is from 2012, cannot recall or checked to see if it was already posted, but still nice to see some fresh posts!
Wondering if the trunk itself could reveal some clues?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back