MD MD - Frederick, WhtFem 17-45, UP7477, in steamer trunk in state park, Spondylolysis, Aug'82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We have got to rename this Doe. “The Cheerleader in the Trunk” bugs the heck out of me. It’s so specific yet not at all factual. No one knows if she was a cheerleader or not! I was expecting that her body was discovered entombed along with her pom-poms or something. And then there’s the inflated value that certain parts of society place on women and girls who cheerlead, like whoever named this Doe was trying to invoke some sort of sensationalism by placing her falsely on top of the ‘80s high school/college social pyramid, when it doesn’t matter whether she was popular or an outcast or a cheerleader or a stripper, she was a human being who loved and dreamed and hurt and she deserves her name back based on that alone.

Anyway, we’re they able to rule out Diane Dye? She looks so similar to one of the reconstructions.

We have got to rename this Doe. “The Cheerleader in the Trunk” bugs the heck out of me. It’s so specific yet not at all factual. No one knows if she was a cheerleader or not! I was expecting that her body was discovered entombed along with her pom-poms or something. And then there’s the inflated value that certain parts of society place on women and girls who cheerlead, like whoever named this Doe was trying to invoke some sort of sensationalism by placing her falsely on top of the ‘80s high school/college social pyramid, when it doesn’t matter whether she was popular or an outcast or a cheerleader or a stripper, she was a human being who loved and dreamed and hurt and she deserves her name back based on that alone.

Anyway, we’re they able to rule out Diane Dye? She looks so similar to one of the reconstructions.

As far as the rule outs in NamUs, Diane Dye has not been ruled out as being this Jane Doe.

I've never been comfortable with 'cheerleader in the trunk'. makes it sound like she was a teenage schoolgirl sexdoll for a boy exploring his fetish.

Agreed with both wonderful posts! It almost sounds exploitative and sexualized as well as probably inaccurate. There are sports besides cheerleading that lead to wear on the pelvis, feet and back - seems random to assume it was cheerleading and almost fetishistic. The name really does make you think they found her wearing a cheerleading uniform (at least that's what I thought when I first heard her Doe name). Even if she WAS a cheerleader, she was more than that, it probably wasn't the only thing in her life. JMO.

Agreed with both wonderful posts! It almost sounds exploitative and sexualized as well as probably inaccurate. There are sports besides cheerleading that lead to wear on the pelvis, feet and back - seems random to assume it was cheerleading and almost fetishistic. The name really does make you think they found her wearing a cheerleading uniform (at least that's what I thought when I first heard her Doe name). Even if she WAS a cheerleader, she was more than that, it probably wasn't the only thing in her life. JMO.

100 percent agree

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but NamUs now gives this Jane Doe's age as 17-45, not 17-25. Should the thread title be changed?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
From link, thank you..

''Estimated Age Range (Years)17-45
Estimated Year of Death1972-1982
Estimated PMI3 Years
Height 5' 4"(64 inches)
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description medium length
Body Hair Description Reddish Brown Pubic Hair''

Facial/case ID
Uploaded: June 15, 2012
New sketch

Facial/case ID
Uploaded: June 15, 2012
New sketch

Other
Uploaded: June 23, 2011
--

Artist rendering
Uploaded: February 21, 2020

Artist rendering
Uploaded: February 21, 2020
--

It's so odd because her DoeNetwork profile claims that she has all identifiers available. I can't believe they went to the media with this possible ID 15 years ago and nothing has happened since.

What I was told about this years ago is that there was a fire where Virginia's Welch's dental records were kept, and she had no other dental records...They also do not have JD body to do any type of advanced forensics...She was dating a Pagan, who have strong ties to the Frederick/Washington county areas...

What I was told about this years ago is that there was a fire where Virginia's Welch's dental records were kept, and she had no other dental records...They also do not have JD body to do any type of advanced forensics...She was dating a Pagan, who have strong ties to the Frederick/Washington county areas...
Do you think this Doe is likely Virginia?

Where is the JD's body at, or don't they know?

Do you think this Doe is likely Virginia?

Some things are off, but makes most logical sense to me out of all the missing person profiles I’ve ever searched…or she just plain could be someone reported missing back then, but the file dumped at some point like Woodlawn Jane Doe…

There was a cold case special on this years ago, and stated they were looking strongly at Alice Welch and Judith Chartier.

Height - is off, but I've seen this mistake before.

The date of remains found - states six months or more, but it's in the middle of a summer in a steam trunk...I also don't think a trunk that's visible would have been there very long without someone being curious about it...It was described as visible from the road, and back in 1982, that wouldn't have gone unnoticed...

Spondylosis – I’m pretty sure this can happen to women who ride a lot on motorcycles…Of no offense to anyone who rides motorcycles, but one thing I’ve noticed about women who spend a lot of time on the back of motorcycles is many have posterior pelvis tilts, and abnormally flat rear ends…

Location – Most of the IDs I’ve been involved with involve one state over…This road isn't a major road, mainly leads back to a lot of woods, some farms way down the road, and some houses...I can recall going to this park in 1982, and it was mainly fisherman, bikers, hikers, and locals going down the road...I believe she was found closer toward the hiking area, and many hikers walk on the roadway, so I don't think any steamer trunk would have been there for six months unless it was in the fall and buried with leaves...Winter it would stick out like a sore thumb, and summer there would be boy scouts walking by just about every weekend...

Steamer Trunk – this is personal, not something a stranger would do…

Tattoos – It wasn’t normal for women to get tattoos much at this time frame…Mainly biker type chics did this...

Teeth Condition - this one is iffy for me...22 is rather young to have all the dental work she had unless she had this as a kid...

I know the roommates name, but have never been able to find the boyfriend’s name…Also know the mother’s name, but have never been able to find Virginia’s sisters name…

Can anyone access this article? I think it has a lot more information on the case, but have never been able to find it…I’ve tried WayBackMachine and googling, but can’t pull it up…

Found at: Cold Case: drugs, bikers and a Roanoke family with hope - missingin.org

Direct Link: http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-col...-with-hope-20130212,0,4559579.story?track=rss

Clarification: I believe she was found closer to the Watershed area, which is the second hiking area on this road...It's an area much more rural than Gambrills Park section, and not a lot of parking in this area, even at hiking spots. Hunters also would be familiar with this area, and a steamer trunk that's visible from the road would have stuck out like a sore thumb back then...

Some things are off, but makes most logical sense to me out of all the missing person profiles I’ve ever searched…or she just plain could be someone reported missing back then, but the file dumped at some point like Woodlawn Jane Doe…

There was a cold case special on this years ago, and stated they were looking strongly at Alice Welch and Judith Chartier.

Height - is off, but I've seen this mistake before.

The date of remains found - states six months or more, but it's in the middle of a summer in a steam trunk...I also don't think a trunk that's visible would have been there very long without someone being curious about it...It was described as visible from the road, and back in 1982, that wouldn't have gone unnoticed...

Spondylosis – I’m pretty sure this can happen to women who ride a lot on motorcycles…Of no offense to anyone who rides motorcycles, but one thing I’ve noticed about women who spend a lot of time on the back of motorcycles is many have posterior pelvis tilts, and abnormally flat rear ends…

Location – Most of the IDs I’ve been involved with involve one state over…This road isn't a major road, mainly leads back to a lot of woods, some farms way down the road, and some houses...I can recall going to this park in 1982, and it was mainly fisherman, bikers, hikers, and locals going down the road...I believe she was found closer toward the hiking area, and many hikers walk on the roadway, so I don't think any steamer trunk would have been there for six months unless it was in the fall and buried with leaves...Winter it would stick out like a sore thumb, and summer there would be boy scouts walking by just about every weekend...

Steamer Trunk – this is personal, not something a stranger would do…

Tattoos – It wasn’t normal for women to get tattoos much at this time frame…Mainly biker type chics did this...

Teeth Condition - this one is iffy for me...22 is rather young to have all the dental work she had unless she had this as a kid...

I know the roommates name, but have never been able to find the boyfriend’s name…Also know the mother’s name, but have never been able to find Virginia’s sisters name…

Can anyone access this article? I think it has a lot more information on the case, but have never been able to find it…I’ve tried WayBackMachine and googling, but can’t pull it up…

Found at: Cold Case: drugs, bikers and a Roanoke family with hope - missingin.org

Direct Link: News

This also may fit Welch...Functional drug users typically were strippers, and more deeper in addicts street walkers...Either way, both would involved wearing heels...

"She did have a history of engaging in drug activities to support herself" - her Charley Project description.

Last edited:
Two rule outs have finally been added to the "Cheerleader in the Trunk" NamUs Page
21 total rule outs/exclusions

MP28085
Helen
Allison
05/11/1972
Fairfax
VA

MP9042
Eddy
Segall
06/15/1977
Hillsborough