CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow what a rollercoaster. Listened to them all over two days. So much to process, I think I really have to read the transcripts posted above (thanks for links). Really liked the way it was presented.

The issue that is most concerning is the lack of forthcoming with information about the murder of this young woman. It seems Jay and Adnan, as well as the women connected with Jay, waited for things to be pieced together and confirmed. Not being forthcoming seems like a reason to hold back on creating a great plea/sentencing deal with Jay, even if he was afraid about the impact on his family.

Wow. I just finished listening to this and am going to start over again to see what I may have missed.
What a strange case.
Given everything in totality, I cannot see how Adnan isn't responsible for Hae's death.
My gut tells me that it was a "crime of passion" - maybe he tried to plead with her for one more chance and she turned him down, maybe she taunted him with Don, but I definitely think he did kill her. What I cannot figure out, is what Jay's role was in all of it. I feel like he had more involvement than he let on. I really just don't know what to think about Jay.

I think the DNA evidence to be tested will provide solid evidence for the first time in this case. I still can't believe Adnan's attorney did such an unbelievably bad defense of him. How do you not demand DNA testing? Even in 1999 it was commonly accepted as evidence.

I think the DNA evidence to be tested will provide solid evidence for the first time in this case. I still can't believe Adnan's attorney did such an unbelievably bad defense of him. How do you not demand DNA testing? Even in 1999 it was commonly accepted as evidence.
I was surprised about this fact. All these years have gone bye and no one has tested it!? It will be interesting to see what the results are.

There also,was no rape kit...ie med examiner stated no evidence of semen..and that just isn't enough for me. Sloppy LE work, as well as sloppy handling of case evidence strewn all over Baltimore. Unacceptable.

Any True Crime aficionado must check out this series of podcasts. It perfectly illustrates the problem inherent in criminal investigation: even with all the scientific forensic tools available, at usually comes down to the ability to sort out the truth from shaky human memories and the statements of people who are unwilling or unable to tell the truth.

there is no smoking gun/piece of the puzzle that will pull everything together. The guy who was convicted of the crime certainly doesn't "seem" like a killer and the witness who provided the fundamental evidence against him runs "fast and loose with the truth". Still, many, perhaps the majority of those who have followed it are satisfied the he is, or at least probably is, guilty.

I am not satisfied. I'm not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the individual sitting in jail is the guilty party. I'm not satisfied with the way the evidence or lack of evidence was manipulated by the state of Maryland nor am I satisfied that the individual sitting in jail had adequate representation in either the first or the second trial. But that is only my opinion and I'm hoping at least this individual gets some serious consideration of all of this in his latest appeal efforts.

There potentially is a smoking gun here with the DNA that was never tested. If Hae has Jay's DNA under her fingernails how will he explain that? Or what if it's an unknown source?

I just cannot get past the fact that they only looked at Adnan because of an anonymous phone call and Jay's friend Jenn's statement saying Jay told her Adnan killed Hae. Meanwhile Jay admits to helping bury her and knowing where her car is, but denies that he killed her and walks away with no consequences after his nice plea deal with made by his prosecution-provided lawyer.

I keep feeling like I'm missing something here, but I haven't seen anything that even comes close to real evidence in this case.

I thought I was reading an op-ed based on the first few paragraphs and then it got to the interview. I really would like to edit this article and the interview too. It's tough to read with the incorrect grammar and wording. But, maybe that's just the journalism degree in me speaking.

Re the articles... Both Jay and Urick were asked softball questions. We'll see what more information comes our today. I still don't have a definitive conclusion to Adnan's guilt. Everyone seems to be the liars, except Adnan. Plus, all the bad luck he had the day of? I'm still skeptical.

On a side note, I drove by Crab Crib.. Still has a shrimp sale. [emoji2]

Oh Jessen, please stop in and order me a crab cake! Back when we lived in MD (PG county) I used to loovvee me some crab cakes! So every time I hear about the crab crib I get a craving!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but again, the statement that there was no evidence is completely false. There was plenty of evidence presented besides Jays testimony.

Now, you might not be convinced by the evidence, but that's not at all the same as saying there was none.

I overlooked this when it was posted. What is the other evidence? I really want to know what else they have on Adnan. I've heard of the cell phone records, and a fingerprint on a map page that included Leakin Park (as well as the majority of the area in which they lived), and Jay's testimony.

Oh Jessen, please stop in and order me a crab cake! Back when we lived in MD (PG county) I used to loovvee me some crab cakes! So every time I hear about the crab crib I get a craving!! :)

Lol, ok. I love me some crab cake too. The crab crib looks kind of sketchy, but I hear it is actually pretty good.

Looks like we'll get part 2 of Urick's interview tomorrow. The “reporter" tweeted that it's lengthy. Wonder what will be revealed?

Lol, ok. I love me some crab cake too. The crab crib looks kind of sketchy, but I hear it is actually pretty good.

:lol: I am a Mass native, I always say the best seafood places are the sketchy ones. I bypass the fancy places for the shack on the pier that sells a huge plate of fried clams with a cup of chowder for 3.99! Better taste and cheaper! :lol:

I was waiting all evening for the rest of Urick's interview. :waiting: hopefully this morning?!

I overlooked this when it was posted. What is the other evidence? I really want to know what else they have on Adnan. I've heard of the cell phone records, and a fingerprint on a map page that included Leakin Park (as well as the majority of the area in which they lived), and Jay's testimony.

Well, the rest is circumstantial, but nonetheless is evidence. And even then we still only have what was revealed in Serial, not the full transcripts of the trial yet. But among other things we have:

Adnan trying to get a ride with Hae that afternoon - by his own words (which he later changed), and according to various witnesses at school

Hae's diary and her late 1998 letter to him about his possessiveness and how he was taking the break up (plus the "I will kill" addendum to that letter

His cell phone in Leakin park; backed up by I think a 6:59 PM call to Yasser followed by a 7:10ish ping in the park.

His three calls to Hae late the night before when she was with or had been with Don.

The two maps - one in Hae's car, one in Adnans. The one in Adnans had the Leakin park page dog-eared. The one in Hae's car had the Leakin park page torn out, as well as adnans print.

I have to run for a job interview, but these are few examples of the circumstantial evidence.

While it wasn't "evidence," really, what stood out to me is that when Hae went missing, everybody who knew her was trying to call her, hoping she would answer to say she was okay. Adnan did not make one single phone call to Hae's number after she went missing, even though he had called her multiple times in the days leading up to her disappearance. Very telling, imo.

:lol: I am a Mass native, I always say the best seafood places are the sketchy ones. I bypass the fancy places for the shack on the pier that sells a huge plate of fried clams with a cup of chowder for 3.99! Better taste and cheaper! :lol:

I was waiting all evening for the rest of Urick's interview. :waiting: hopefully this morning?!

Lol. Will you trade you crab cakes for chowder. I love me some good new England clam chowder. Good luck with your interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes