MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Baltimore police report no new developments overnight in the search for Phylicia Barnes, the 16-year-old Monroe girl who went missing in the Maryland city more than a week ago.

Meanwhile, the person whose Internet tip sent police on a full-scale search of a Baltimore park Tuesday posted another note, posting other suggestions for where investigators should look.

The writer said the tip was based on Baltimore crime history, not on any specific information in the case.

read more

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/05/1957206/no-new-leads-in-search-for-monroe.html

Paraphrased from the first part of the Peas in the Pod interview. The interview is an hour and 19 minutes. A LOT of info here. I just took notes as I listened, on the things that stood out for me.

Interview with father (Russell) and brother (Brian) of PB. Brian and Russell Barnes.

It was not atypical for PB to go visit her sister. Whenever she had a break from school, she would go visit her sister. Even if it was just for two days, she would go. PB looked up to and idolized her older sister. They dressed in similar outfits...

Brother indicates that the media is putting out the wrong facts, and that is not helping. She disappeared in the early afternoon. She went to get something to eat. NOT 12 midnight.

Brother BB got a call from DB at 6:30, looking for PB. DB called back 15 min. later, to make sure he wasn't playing a joke on her, that she could not find PB. He told her to contact their dad.

PB's father was texted around 6:30 pm, from DB. "911, I can't find PB." He lives in Atlanta. He counseled her to start contacting everyone. DB said that PB knew she wasn't supposed to go anywhere, and DB was frantic. It was totally out of character for PB to go anywhere without her sister.

Brother drove around to look for her, see if she was lost. He stayed at sister DB's house all night, waiting for her. Brother says PB is fragile. She is scared, not brave. She doesn't like the cold, doesn't like the dark. If was freezing that night, so she would NOT have wanted to be out.

They notified the authorities immediately. The police were at DB's house at 8:30 when the father got there. They said LE was right on it, but the problem was they classified her as a runaway. If the family had not had people high up in the Baltimore police department, they would not have gotten her upgraded to a missing person. Once her status was changed, they have had a lot of groups out looking for their daughter.

She left wearing her slipper shoes, that she had gotten for Christmas. Her sister had told her to not wear them outside because they were not suitible.

PB was a girl through and through. She like make up, hair, nails. When she went out, she would do her hair, makeup, and nails, and dress nicely. If she had been going out, she would have put on her winter boots. She had a hair appointment that afternoon, and she would have waited for her ride to that. It is not like her to miss her hair appt.

She is not a rebellious child. She is compliant and easy to get along with. Even if she disagrees with you, she'll go along.

She was an avid FB user. Dad checked her FB regularly, to check that her conversations were good and pure. She only talked with her friends, her classmates. Dad is pretty much sure that they have not found anything in her FB to raise any concerns.

Brother said DB's computer was still open, and PB's email was open. Brother checked her email (in/out box), history, spam folder, etc. He did not find anything fishy. She has Skype, and the only people on her SKYPE list are her friends.

PB's cell phone went to straight to voicemail. Her phone was off, which was bizarre. She is always on her phone, texting. Family is not sure if LE has traced the phone or not.

PB's sister paid for PB's trip to Baltimore. PB actually wanted to come for Thanksgiving, but they held off until Christmas. PB's dad was going to pay, but DB took care of it. PB flew.

DB's boyfriend was the last one to see PB, at the apartment. DB's boyfriend left her sleeping on the couch, and he locked the door behind him. Family said that LE is tight lipped and not telling them who has been cleared.

Home Depot cameras. Detectives have reviewed the tapes. She did not cross Home Depot's parking lot to get to the small shopping mall that had food. Dogs went from the door of the apartment, to the street where cars are parked, and that's where it ended. Home Depot is 2 minutes across the street, and she would have to go within the camera's range to get there.

Family took everyone's statements personally, the first night she was gone.
Then LE took everyone's statements, too.

One of PB's former teachers from Atlanta called in to the show, and they were putting on a protest in Atlanta, about the news coverage. (Dad and brother start crying while the teacher is talking). They are going to keep a rally going for PB until they find her.

Dad is staying in Baltimore until she is found. They are starting a fund, for a reward.

I'm not clear on what the protest is about the news coverage-not getting enough? Or because the news said midnight? I thought she was getting lots of coverage and attention, for a missing teen? :(

Paraphrased from the first part of the Peas in the Pod interview. The interview is an hour and 19 minutes. A LOT of info here. I just took notes as I listened, on the things that stood out for me....(snip)....

Thank you for posting this. I was in tears by the time I finished...:cry:

I'm not clear on what the protest is about the news coverage-not getting enough? Or because the news said midnight? I thought she was getting lots of coverage and attention, for a missing teen? :(

Protest about how PB was being represented in the media, how her case wasn't getting as much attention as other cases of teens who were not Af. Am, and how the facts have been misrepresented/fumbled. It took a week before her case started to get the kind of attention that other missing teens have gotten within 24 hours, evidently. This is not a teen who was at risk for runaway or connecting with an older man.

The term "rally" was also used. I think "show of support" might be an even better term.

As I listened, I took notes on what stuck out to me. Sorry it is so long. The interview is over an hour long. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/peasint...-simone-barnes

Interview with PB's mom, JS. JS listened to the interview the night before, and wanted to speak her words. Though JS calls PB by her middle name, I have kept the initials PB, to avoid confusing anyone. But we should probably use PSB.

PB connected with her family on FB 2 years ago. Over the last 2 years she has visited Baltimore several times. JS asked DB about her situation each time PB visited. JS asked about the environment and the type of people PB would be exposed to. DB said over and over that it was safe and PB would be protected. This last time, JS asked again, and DB said her boyfriend was moving out because they were breaking up, and that he would be officially out by 1-1-11, and that he did not have a key.
JS did not know that DB allowed PB to engage in things she was not allowed to do.
JS did not know DB's boyfriend (Michael Johnson) had all type of traffic, his friends, men back and forth, until 4 in the morning. (PB told her older sister (JS’s daughter), Shantel Sallis, that she was scared with all the traffic coming in and out).
JS has not been comfortable with the bits and pieces of facts that have come out about the day her daughter was missing.
PB went to Baltimore on Dec. 17th, the day she got out of school.
PB did not tell JS about what was going on in Baltimore, because she knew JS would take her home (mom said). PB did not want to leave her sister.
JB confided her sister, SS, that she was uncomfortable with the men coming in and out, but she did not say anything to DB, because she didn't want to cause friction between the three of them (JB, DB, and boyfriend MJ). These concerns have been given to LE.

On the 28th, JS had a strong uneasy feeling that something wasn’t right. JS called PB’s phone at 8, JS was still at work. She called again 5 min. later, it still went to voice mail.
When PB went missing, DB did not call JS immediately. JS called DB, who said, “I was just about to call you.” JS is ticked that she was not called at 1:30, when PB went missing.
JS asked to talk to the police, and they told her PB was a runaway, and JS tried to convince them she was NOT a runaway.
Thursday, her husband drove JS to Baltimore. On 1-2-11, JS interrogated DB on why PB was alone, when she was supposed to be in the custody of DB or Kelly Barnes. This is when JS found out about the Marijuanna and Vodka. DB said “It was only a couple of puffs.” (JS's fury is so clear and evident).
This was also when JS found out about the 20 men in and out.
Interviewer asks if this information has been corroborated by LE. JS said that DB is the one who said these things.
JS is taking valium to try and keep her composure.

Caller (Rachel) to the show brings up the surveillance videos at Home Depot. She used to pick up the bus there, and remembered all the cameras.
At 1, MJ said he was taking a nap, and DB had fallen asleep on him.
According to MJ, PB was asleep at 1:30 when he left.
The caller had reached out to DB to contact JS, to help increase the reward money. DB had not passed on the information to JS yet, so she gave the info to JS in the interview. The caller believes that JB NEVER LEFT THE APARTMENT to go get food. She was taken from the apartment, in this caller’s opinion. She feels more money is needed to get people to release information.

Caller (Marcus, from NC, who knows the family) asks if cell phone records have been pulled. JS said, according to the detective, they got a subpoena for the records, but doesn’t know if they have them. Marcus tells JS she can get the phone records herself, as PB’s guardian. That she can get it and not wait for LE.

JS asks everyone for their prayers. And if they have any information, to give it to Peas in Their Pods to give to her. American Community Bank is setting up an account, for reward money. PB’s school is starting it.

Caller (Dawn, from Chicago. She called during the other interview, too). Motorcycle community is organizing search parties, as are a bunch of other groups (social club, car club). She is coming to Baltimore Wed, for five days, to help look for PB.. She had information to share with PB privately about the Home Depot surveillance cameras, that she was given by a gentleman connected with the community groups who want to help search. He knows about the area and something about the HD cameras. Dawn wants to help JS access the public information that she can get, as PB’s parent. They want to help her get it, instead of waiting for LE. The people coming to help are familiar with the area, and will “keep their ears to the ground” for PB’s family, to ferret out the truth.

JS is back in NC. She is not in Baltimore anymore. JS was given the information to set up a Crime Stopper’s tipline, which had not been done yet. (Note: mom sounds so, so tired and so wiped out. Just wrecks my heart)

Caller (Rachel again). Said the word on the street is that the police know what has happened and are trying to build their case to make an arrest.
.Rachel wants to connect JS with prominent people in the nation who can help the family with the search. And bring it to a national level. She feels pressure of the national level and the reward with get someone to tell what happened.

During the interview, one of the radio show’s people called BB (brother), who said that RB (dad) was at the police station, and LE was questioning some men.

Rachel brought up that it is very hard to get a hold of JS. That anyone who tries to communicate with the family is funneled to DB and the father, when it should be to JS, because she is the guardian and has raised PB.

PB had just bought her first car, with money she had raised from working.

Caller (Elicia, JS’s niece). Lots of love exchanged.

Caller (Patrice, the person from the motorcycle community in NC to help the family). She will be working with Dawn, to help PB. They have teams, that are mobile, and ready to go wherever the family needs them.

Interviewer asks if media has been there for the family. JS said yes, they have. She is not unhappy with the support of the media. She didn’t think she would have that much support. She is overwhelmed with the support that has come in, from all over.

Caller (Cynthia) Shares what she learned from talking with brother (BB) about what was happening at the police station that night. LE was “questioning guys”. No breaking news that she was aware of. Said that in her experience in working with families, LE will give the family notice at least 2 hours before anything goes to the media/public.

Interviewer asks if JS is getting the communication, as PB’s legal guardian. JS mentions PB’s uncle who works in LE in Baltimore. LE said they are not going to tell her any more than they tell the media, right now, because they don’t want things to leak out. She is okay with that.

Cynthia talks about how, if maybe PB met a guy, and went off for a day or two, knowing her sister would be okay with it, but when it hit the media, she couldn’t come back because she was worried about getting in trouble. Talks about several cases of kids who were good kids, not problematic, and the kids did go away for a day or two, and they did come back, even 6 months later. So keep the hope up. JS says she will not be angry, she just wants PB HOME. Doesn’t care why she is gone, just wants her back.

JS's message to PB: "Girl, you know I love you, and you know you need to just bring yourself home so your little sister who looks up to you, and your big sister can quit worrying."

Protest about how PB was being represented in the media, how her case wasn't getting as much attention as other cases of teens who were not Af. Am, and how the facts have been misrepresented/fumbled.

Are one of these fumbles "last seen at a shelter"? I can't find anything now that says she was ever sighted at a shelter.

Are one of these fumbles "last seen at a shelter"? I can't find anything now that says she was ever sighted at a shelter.

IMO the shelter sighting was a fumble

WJZ has confirmed Phylicia tried to stay at a 24-hour emergency shelter on Guilford Avenue. But a staff member who answered the phone overnight told WJZ they didn’t know she was a missing child adding, “We called the police to come get her because minors aren’t allowed to stay here.”

The staff member tells WJZ a police officer picked her up, but it’s not clear where she was taken. It’s also unclear on what day Phylicia was kicked out of the shelter.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/31/family-of-nc-teen-missing-in-baltimore-speaks-out/

<snip>

There was a report the missing teen was spotted at a Baltimore shelter two nights after the girl went missing, but that tip was inaccurate. It was a case of mistaken identity. The mother says that upsets her.

"All of these false leads make me feel and believe," The missing teen's mother said. "The actual culprit is trying to throw law enforcement and the media off. Someone has taken my baby against her will. This is not her character."

http://westunion.wbtv.com/content/monroe-teen-was-around-drugs-alcohol-and-men-prior-disappearance

Interesting to note that PB's mom, JS, is not unhappy with the media coverage, when asked in the Peas interview. So it may be a difference between the two sides of the family? Or just awareness?

Lots of missing teens don't get any media attention at all, all one has to do is look at missing websites for all of the unfamiliar faces. But I am sure that to family, it seldom seems enough, even if they do get some media. And there is almost always a delay, to convince LE that the child is not a runaway. Even with the 13-yr old in TX, Hailey Dunn, police were calling her a runaway for many days before finally asking other agencies for help. Each case is different, but any major media attention is good.

I just stopped by to say that I am praying for this beautiful young lady.

I saw her on CNN today. :praying:

Does anyone feel that PB just took off in order to "spread her wings" of life?

It seems her mother held a very tight reign on PB, of which, is understandable, but maybe PB thought it was a little too tight! JMO

Does anyone feel that PB just took off in order to "spread her wings" of life?

It seems her mother held a very tight reign on PB, of which, is understandable, but maybe PB thought it was a little too tight! JMO

Patty, I don't feel that way at all. I think some teens may do that, but she really doesn't seem like the type. And she had just contacted her sister to pick her up for a hair appt or something like that (sorry - I hope that's correct). I think if she were going to take off, she would have done it as soon as her sister left, taken real shoes and not the slippers, and had a better story to give her sister so that she'd have more time to get away before they became suspicious...

No, she seems like a good kid to me - who would NEVER do this to her parents. JMHO.

Patty, I don't feel that way at all. I think some teens may do that, but she really doesn't seem like the type. And she had just contacted her sister to pick her up for a hair appt or something like that (sorry - I hope that's correct). I think if she were going to take off, she would have done it as soon as her sister left, taken real shoes and not the slippers, and had a better story to give her sister so that she'd have more time to get away before they became suspicious...

No, she seems like a good kid to me - who would NEVER do this to her parents. JMHO.

If the police confirmed that PB tried to stay at a homeless shelter, if she didn't runaway, why try to stay at a homeless shelter; why not just get in contact with her sister?

I am aware of the mother's thoughts that it was just someone to turn the case in another direction.

IMO the shelter sighting was a fumble

WJZ has confirmed Phylicia tried to stay at a 24-hour emergency shelter on Guilford Avenue. But a staff member who answered the phone overnight told WJZ they didn’t know she was a missing child adding, “We called the police to come get her because minors aren’t allowed to stay here.”

The staff member tells WJZ a police officer picked her up, but it’s not clear where she was taken. It’s also unclear on what day Phylicia was kicked out of the shelter.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/31/family-of-nc-teen-missing-in-baltimore-speaks-out/

<snip>

There was a report the missing teen was spotted at a Baltimore shelter two nights after the girl went missing, but that tip was inaccurate. It was a case of mistaken identity. The mother says that upsets her.

"All of these false leads make me feel and believe," The missing teen's mother said. "The actual culprit is trying to throw law enforcement and the media off. Someone has taken my baby against her will. This is not her character."

http://westunion.wbtv.com/content/monroe-teen-was-around-drugs-alcohol-and-men-prior-disappearance

All of these leads could be checked fairly easily by using specially trained scent specific trailing dogs. Going to each of the places where the leads / tips are, the areas can be checked for Phylicia's scent. Obviously the dogs should be used first from the place-last-scene and go from there. The dogs must be able to do vehicle trails as well as I believe tracking dogs were used earlier and stopped in a parking lot. This appears to indicate getting into a vehicle and leaving the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895
Back